Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #31
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

I've given this band so much of my time, money, and thought that I can say whatever I damn please about them on their stupid 90's fan messageboard

Old 02-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #32
RAWK
Pledge

I'm able to develop my own opinions and can be constructive. I don't just blindly follow a band and insist that everything they do is good. The Pumpkins have sucked for a long time. Billy is an asshole and the whole industry knows it.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:10 PM   #33
MisterSquishyHalo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desolation_Disco_King View Post
It's wild to see so many people hate on the Pumpkins and Billy on this forum. Even though their name or thumbnail picture is Pumpkins related i see so much shit like Billy hasn't wrote a good song since the 90's and on and on.

Everyone is allowed their opinion but isn't this a FAN board? why so much hate?

P.S Oceania is a fucking INCREDIBLE album from start to finish. It was written 6 years ago. Have a good day.

I think most are fans of the music, that’s how most ended up here, then over the years, Billy and co has made some horrible decisions and I think people are okay to be critical of that

Old 02-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #34
Bomb The Moon
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpee View Post
I've given this band so much of my time, money, and thought that I can say whatever I damn please about them on their stupid 90's fan messageboard

some red pill shit

Old 02-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #35
in stereo
Demi-God

"Oceania is incredible" ... that is truly hilarious hahahahahahaha

Seriously OP, fuck off back to facebook if you want a pro Billy safe space. We live in reality here. Billy is an asshole. The music has been terrible for almost 20 years. I'm only here to see how fat Billy will get, how empty the tour dates will be, and how terrible the new songs are.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #36
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

amazing

Old 02-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #37
douglas78
Apocalyptic Poster

I liked the Oceania album cover. That's about it.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:20 PM   #38
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas78 View Post
I liked the Oceania album cover. That's about it.
Did kind of mesh nicely with the general vibe of the album.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:21 PM   #39
douglas78
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquisInSpades View Post
Did kind of mesh nicely with the general vibe of the album.
true dat

Old 02-16-2018, 03:21 PM   #40
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Oceania is boring, start to finish. And Jeff still sucks. Have a nice day.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:24 PM   #41
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas78 View Post
true dat
BUT I WILL BE

https://images.kglobalservices.com/w...k-original.png

Old 02-16-2018, 03:49 PM   #42
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I'm gonna love u 101%

Old 02-16-2018, 04:01 PM   #43
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
I'm gonna love u 101%
iM goNnA lOvE yoU tIlL tHiS enDS

Old 02-16-2018, 04:06 PM   #44
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Smile

Quote:
Would you like me to explain the Meta Machina Mystery to you? Pull up a chair.

Also; Oceania has some redeemable songs, but is let down by Mike's drumming and overall artificial sheen.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:21 PM   #45
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

where is soniclovenoize with his post about netphoria being a support group for people who cant let go of their collective trauma of losing and/or being disenchanted with their favorite band/person

Old 02-16-2018, 04:25 PM   #46
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

here: http://forums.netphoria.org/showpost...1&postcount=12

Quote:
Long ago I fell in love with this band, because many of the musical qualities I look for in music were present in Smashing Pumpkins, more-so than other artists. But as I grew older, not only did Smashing Pumpkins evolve over time so as to no longer contain the sound-elements I look for in music, but the sound-elements themselves I look for in music evolved. We both had changed. With additional alienating factors present by the turn of 2000, I was done with the band and my grieving process began. It is my theory that Netphora is less of a fan site for The Smashing Pumpkins, but an on-line support system and community for music fans who are all in the various steps of the grieving process, for their dying and/or deceased love of The Smashing Pumpkins.

I got into the band in 1994 with Siamese Dream, when I started listening to other "alt-rock" bands. As a freshman in high school, I can clearly remember my “Big 4” were Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Green Day and of course Smashing Pumpkins. Other bands danced around those Big 4 such as Soundgraden, Weezer, Stone Temple Pilots and other 90s-alt-rock mainstays. But the songwriting prowess, sound-design intricacies and variance in musical arrangements made Smashing Pumpkins the leader of the pack. The summer of 1995 exposed me to their b-side collection Pisces Iscariot, which showed me they were not simply flash-in-the-pan Johnny-come-latelies; they were the real deal. This was THE band of my generation. By the time Mellon Collie was released that fall, I had already immersed myself in the more obscure Gish and was already my high school’s resident Smashing Pumpkins psycho-fan and expert.

Three years later the band released Adore on the day of the dress rehearsal of my high school graduation. It was all-too appropriate, as my musical tastes were already starting to broaden, as I abandoned the slew of MOR 90s bands and refocused on new more idiosyncratic obsessions such as Primus and Radiohead. Because of the experimentalism of Adore (as compared to their previous work) Smashing Pumpkins were able to fight hand in hand and stay in the top position as my favorite band. It was this time I began posting on Netphoria, I believe, as well as composing bass tabs and the Smashing Pumpkins Recording Sessions for the Smashing Pumpkins on-line community. But as I went off to college and looked for even more musical directions, The Smashing Pumpkins’ time was growing short. My discovery of The Flaming Lips dethroned Smashing Pumpkins, for the simple fact that they now possessed more musical qualities I sought on music. After devouring The Flaming Lips back-catalog, it was clear to me that they fit the bill more so than Smashing Pumpkins. In 1999, both artists had a new album slated for release—along with the third place contender Radiohead. Who will win in the battle for my musical heart?

The Flaming Lips released The Soft Bulletin in the summer of 1999, a radical departure from their previous work, and it set me back, giving Smashing Pumpkins an opportunity to take their lead. But the new songs leaked on their Arising Tour were not of the caliber of their previous material, even in fetal form; even the Double Door shows and the Viper Room shows demonstrated the genius of Corgan’s writing before the album was even finished. But this new material, although exciting with the return of Chamberlin, seemed to be treading water and rested solely on the renewed percussive drive rather than solid songwriting and creative arrangements. When Machina was finally released, I was hungry for new, brilliant Corgan material, but for the first time for any Smashing Pumpkins release, I was let down. The album was too long and bloated; some of the material was certainly not up to par with their previous songwriting; the production was muddy and inorganic; the packaging and artwork was unusually cryptic and unlike their former character. The release of Radiohead’s Kid A left me further confused as the musical direction of my 90’s-rock favorites. What has happened? Little did I know, at the time, this was the death of my love for Smashing Pumpkins, which only intensified as the years progressed.

The first nail in the coffin was the actual break-up of The Smashing Pumpkins in the conclusion of 2000. Over that year I was able to musically digest all three albums: Machina, Soft Bulletin and Kid A. While I had grown to accept Machina for what it was, in contrast I was able to appreciate the genius of The Soft Bulletin and Kid A. The later were challenging albums that required the listener to think outside the box, something I was able to do at that point in time; Machina was just your average album, a misstep for otherwise creative minds. But sentimentalism overtook me, and I refused to give up on Smashing Pumpkins at this point. But Corgan’s announcement that the band was breaking up shattered that nostalgia. But why did Corgan do it? One sub-par album and lack of record sales was not a great excuse to end a band, a dream, an obsession. I was now entering the denial stage of the grief cycle. This signaled to me that the band was finished, and that I should move on. Not only were Radiohead and The Flaming Lips all-too active, but I had also recently discovered other current and active bands that seemed more musically rewarding, such as elaborate Texas rockers the pAper chase and The Polyphonic Spree and local art-punk heroes Lifter Puller. The old always make-way for the new.

The final nail in the coffin was the forming of Zwan. I had always maintained the original break-up of the band was pointless and unnecessary, and they clearly had some life in them, if only to recover from Machina. But the forming of a band with not only Chamberlin behind the kit, but with classic Corgan songwriting, stylistic similarities to The Smashing Pumpkins and even a female bass player? This was a lie; Corgan should not have broken up the band if his next project was simply Smashing Pumpkins 2.0. This was supposed to be the new Smashing Pumpkins album! Why did my love have to die if it was just to be continued a year and a half later? But my love was already invested in the other aforementioned acts. All that remained was contempt for Billy Corgan. I was now in the anger stage of the grief cycle.

Graduating from college in 2002, my musical tastes began to change yet again as my eyes set upon the slew of Elephant 6 bands such as Olivia Tremor Control, The Sunshine Fix, Circulatory System, of Montreal and Neutral Milk Hotel, that seemed to break all the rules that my 90s alt-rock favorites seemed to construct. In 2004 my daughter was born and my 200+ collection of Smashing Pumpkins CDs tapes and vinyl were sold for diaper-money. I did not at all regret it, as I was more interested in her well being, and I had already created a modest collection of Elephant 6 discs to construct my life’s soundtrack. Now I realize I was in the acceptance and reinvestment stages of the grieving process. I had long ago accepted the death of my favorite band, but I knew there would always be better bands, new musical discoveries to be made. Besides, would Smashing Pumpkins continue to define me musically anyways? No, they did not. Siamese Dream was always there to enjoy, but I had accepted that this band no longer exists and never will… ever.

Over this time, I would continually go back to Netphoria, but not because of my love for The Smashing Pumpkins. At the time I labeled it as “out of habit” but I believe there are deeper psychological reasons why I—and all of us—keep coming back to this god forsaken forum. Because I needed help in dealing with my grief in losing my favorite band, the soundtrack to my adolescence, and although I never realized it at the time, this is what Netphoria provided. We are all at various stages of our grief cycle: Denial, Anger, Sadness, Acceptance and Reinvestment. Netphoria is a self-help forum, a place to find guidance and support for our grief, to talk to others who have lost someone dear to us—the same someone: Billy Corgan and his bandmates.

I urge you all to take a step back and realize what’s going on, and try to understand what stage you are at. I have already been through it all, and I am here to help, as a sort of councilor or mediator. Learn from my experiences. I wish you all luck.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:30 PM   #47
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

So happy to call him a friend and a neighbor.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:32 PM   #48
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

tl;dr

Old 02-16-2018, 04:32 PM   #49
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

<3 jesse

Old 02-16-2018, 04:39 PM   #50
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
It's wild to see so many people hate on the Pumpkins and Billy on this forum. Even though their name or thumbnail picture is Pumpkins related i see so much shit like Billy hasn't wrote a good song since the 90's and on and on.

P.S Oceania is a fucking INCREDIBLE album from start to finish. It was written 6 years ago. Have a good day.
Personally I will always be a fan of the old music and I don't hate Billy nor do I even begrudge him for losing his talent at songwriting. It happens. What fires people up IMO is the confluence of Billy Corgan having one of the most precipitous drops in quality of output known in rock music, and him being a huge fucking douche, hypocrite, and liar. He is an incredibly self-obsessed individual who is stuck in what is apparently the mindset of a teenager, and instead of trying to change or grow over time, the internet has simply allowed us to examine in real time his descent further and further into miseducation, misinformation, phony obnoxious mysticism, conspiracy horseshit, and even the alt right.

So. The simplest answer is that everyone here loves the old music and considers it to be personally meaningful, but it is hard to figure out what that means in the context of the artist being such a piece of garbage human who has a personal vendetta against us for not licking his boots when he puts out shitty music and acts like an ass.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:46 PM   #51
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

"...Anger begins with the many imperfections of existence: the internet connection has failed, the plane is delayed again, someone is driving too slowly. It is fair enough to take a negative view of these things. But in order for them to make us angry – rather than merely sad – there is something else at work: we break, kick, slam and accelerate because we are, at some level, horribly optimistic...

Though the angry may seem negatively predisposed to life, they are in their hearts recklessly hopeful. Recklessly because how badly we react to frustration is critically determined by what we think of as normal. We may be irritated that it is raining, but our pessimistic accommodation to the likelihood of showers means we are unlikely ever to respond to one by screaming. Our annoyance is tempered by what we understand we can expect from the climate, by our melancholy experience of what it is normal to hope for from the skies. We aren’t overwhelmed by anger whenever we don’t get something we want; we do so only when we first believed ourselves fundamentally entitled to secure it – and then oddly did not.

We must learn to disappoint ourselves at leisure before the world has a chance to slap us by surprise, when our defenses are down..."

Old 02-16-2018, 05:17 PM   #52
ilikeplanets
Braindead

i really fucking like that

Old 02-16-2018, 05:35 PM   #53
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

teh b0lly!!1

Old 02-16-2018, 05:39 PM   #54
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

even if i don't totally agree with what soniclovenoise was saying, it's kind of hard to argue when even the main banner of this place is one of the most mournful Pumpkins pictures ever put out there

Old 02-16-2018, 06:12 PM   #55
slunken
Virgo

Default ?

https://i.imgur.com/up59I7Bl.png

Old 02-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #56
wpc33
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: Cheating on my wife with Kurt Cobain's wife. He'll live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
https://i.imgflip.com/18lvtd.jpg

Old 02-16-2018, 06:24 PM   #57
Andy /

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
Private Members Club, Open 24 Hours a Day, Tuesday is Amateur Night.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:54 PM   #58
Spira|_
Apocalyptic Poster

OP look at this example to help you understand how far is Oceania from being genius.

Imagine a band with 3 or 4 albums released, and all with the same quality calibre as Oucheania... Then... it woudnt even exist a forum of that band in the internet to discuss.

Of course we are (not) all here because of Oceania.

PS1 the only song I can enjoy from Oceania is Pale Horse live, early version.
PS2 consider lucky yourself coolasicecream did not answer your thread yet or it would be already with a infinite scroll down

Old 02-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #59
fuzzyroes
Banned

never let the summa get you down

Old 02-16-2018, 08:43 PM   #60
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spira|_ View Post
PS2 consider lucky yourself coolasicecream did not answer your thread yet or it would be already with a infinite scroll down
Say his name 3 times and he'll do it