Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What score do you give this album now?
10/10 This album is perfection. 3 5.56%
9/10 Pretty amazing 2 3.70%
8/10 Strong, but let down by a few small issues 0 0%
7/10 Solid effort, but slightly lacking. 7 12.96%
6/10 Just above average. 6 11.11%
5/10 Average album. Some great moments, some not. 10 18.52%
4/10 Below average. A few good tracks, mostly awful 5 9.26%
3/10 Just, whatever. 11 20.37%
2/10 Mostly awful. 5 9.26%
1/10 Unlistenable 1 1.85%
0/10 Go sit in a corner and rethink your listening habits 0 0%
SP_ACED 4 7.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2018, 11:08 PM   #31
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo View Post

Now that you've had time to listen to it, digest it and live with it, what are your thoughts?
this begs for another poll how many really chose to live with it and have listened to it say more than 3 times since it came out.
Assuming it's quite a few who don't feel an urge to listen to it again already.

But I could be completely off and somehow it's the average treatment to have listened to this 20 times, I have no idea. I know that I intended to hear it front to back at least a second time, and somehow other new albums I just got and really dig always get in the way.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:11 PM   #32
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Angry

WE SEE YOU HAVE NOT CAST YOUR VOTE PAVEMENTTUNE

Old 12-01-2018, 11:14 PM   #33
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

because I can't, my impression can't change since I heard it once when it came out, went on a quick Knights of Malta spree, and haven't heard the full album even a second time.
Hearing some of these songs live yesterday didn't change my initial impression at all. I was looking forward to it, but Solara as gig opener is a bit much, Knights of Malta was super disappointing to me, backing track karaoke, silvery sometimes came close to make me fall asleep on my feet, so.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:13 AM   #34
D.
Consume my pants.

I haven't listened to it since the leak. Might listen on the way to San Antonio.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:48 AM   #35
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I have listened about 4-5 times now and I feel it is among the best of SP2. I also can't rank this against SP1, because then it wouldn't even register as a blip. But compared to SP2's catalog, it's like an 8. But I feel like I should rank it a 5 because I only modestly enjoy about half of it. So as a stand alone album, it's mediocre and my opinion remains consistent.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:54 AM   #36
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
I have listened about 4-5 times now and I feel it is among the best of SP2. I also can't rank this against SP1, because then it wouldn't even register as a blip. But compared to SP2's catalog, it's like an 8. But I feel like I should rank it a 5 because I only modestly enjoy about half of it. So as a stand alone album, it's mediocre and my opinion remains consistent.
Exactly how i feel about it and why i voted for 5

Not sure i’ll keep listening to much besides meadow goats, which is a hard keeper for me, i guess b/c i can relate to stumblin before i speak

Old 12-02-2018, 08:56 AM   #37
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

This gave me the rest to count it "Nights off Malta"...:

"Marchin' on" is the only one remained listenable.

https://scontent-frx5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...54&oe=5CA27B92

Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 12-02-2018 at 10:20 AM.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:06 AM   #38
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

It's a 3/10 from me.

Last edited by VoxUpDoc : 12-02-2018 at 09:12 AM.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #39
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
This gave me the rest to count it "Nights off Malta"...:

"Marchin' on" is the only one remained listenable.
I'm not liking this "praise be Jesus" raised arm Billy is doing. I know he has been appropriating different aesthetics since MCIS era onward, a lot of occult imagery and man dresses, but copping the evangelical look and mannerisms strikes me as both creepy and in poor taste, more so than usual, considering the new material has such nonsensical lyrics and doesn't relate to religious themes in any discernible way. It's not a good look for the biggest ego in rock music.

Last edited by MonumentsRocks : 12-02-2018 at 09:27 AM.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:43 PM   #40
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

FoolofaTook, Green Eyes, MplsTaper - I know it's fun to take the piss occasionally but you've really excelled yourselves this time.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #41
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentsRocks View Post
I'm not liking this "praise be Jesus" raised arm Billy is doing. I know he has been appropriating different aesthetics since MCIS era onward, a lot of occult imagery and man dresses, but copping the evangelical look and mannerisms strikes me as both creepy and in poor taste, more so than usual, considering the new material has such nonsensical lyrics and doesn't relate to religious themes in any discernible way. It's not a good look for the biggest ego in rock music.
holy fuck man what the fuck are you even saying

Old 12-02-2018, 04:17 PM   #42
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
holy fuck man what the fuck are you even saying

Old 12-02-2018, 04:22 PM   #43
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

It’s a great look. It’s hilarious

Old 12-02-2018, 04:29 PM   #44
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

I’ve listened to this a few times.

I think Monuments was a much better album..objectively...but not really what anyone in the world wants to hear from Billy Corgan / SP.

This is a much more Pumpkins album. It, and Marchin On in particular, gave me this weird feeling of “this is new Pumpkins”.. something no other SP2 album has done, and tbh Adore and Machina didn’t do either. It’s very “authentic”. BUT my feeling is “the smashing pumpkins are back..but they’re kinda shit now”. I can’t really rate it out of 10, objectively it’s a 0 or a 1..maybe a 2. But I’m a complete Tuckett so it’s a 6 or 7 for me and anyone else who’s brain is fucked in the same way.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #45
slunken
Virgo

Yea I'm a real Tuckhead myself

Old 12-02-2018, 04:46 PM   #46
redbreegull

for what's it worth I played some of these songs at band practice the other day and they weren't super impressed but also didn't think it was awful. their consensus was that it just sounds like what you would expect SP to sound like in 2018.

they were more interested in talking about how SP is an embarrassing band to like in general, divorced from any knowledge of the new music... which reinforces something I have been saying for years, that no one except us even has a clue the band has played or made music after 2000

Old 12-02-2018, 04:49 PM   #47
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

We are the unlucky ones.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:10 PM   #48
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
Yea I'm a real Tookhead myself

Old 12-02-2018, 05:18 PM   #49
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
for what's it worth I played some of these songs at band practice the other day and they weren't super impressed but also didn't think it was awful. their consensus was that it just sounds like what you would expect SP to sound like in 2018.

they were more interested in talking about how SP is an embarrassing band to like in general, divorced from any knowledge of the new music... which reinforces something I have been saying for years, that no one except us even has a clue the band has played or made music after 2000
Curious as to why it's embarrassing. Most guitar freaks I know are super into Billy's guitar skills but cannot stand his singing.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:47 PM   #50
Modern90's
Demi-God

i had it at a 6 after 1st two listens, dropped it to a 5 cause alienation is so fucking terrible

only songs worth listening to are marchin on and silvery

knights and solara arent that bad just meh

Old 12-02-2018, 05:49 PM   #51
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
Curious as to why it's embarrassing.
I think it's embarrassing to some extent, and it's because to the outside world, SP fans tend look like Clay Tuckett. People think Billy is an asshole, and if you still like him, that makes you somewhat of a sycophant. I don't advertise my love for the band. I've never bought any of their merch, I'd legit be embarrassed to be seen sporting it.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:07 PM   #52
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I've never bought any of their merch, I'd legit be embarrassed to be seen sporting it.
Yeah plus if you sport it to Disney someone might take a creepshot of you and your kid and post it online

Old 12-02-2018, 06:14 PM   #53
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Yeah plus if you sport it to Disney someone might take a creepshot of you and your kid and post it online
Absolutely.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:32 PM   #54
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
I’ve listened to this a few times.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:35 PM   #55
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Clay Tuckett looks like the sort of person who get into a serious intellectual argument about whether something he said was racist instead of just apologizing.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:36 PM   #56
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Meanwhile, Monte looks like the sort of person who would go to one of those Christian gay conversion therapy
camps to purify himself.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:37 PM   #57
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Why do I still follow this band?

Old 12-02-2018, 07:23 PM   #58
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

Seems like up until 1996 Billy was surrounded by people (label people and visual artists I guess) who could channel his energy into a commercial direction. He was edited. Since 1997, but definitely post-2000, Billy’s ego has been calling the shots. Two decades of poor decisions later... the issue isn’t that Billy hasn’t written strong material since 2000, it’s that it hasn’t been produced, collated or released in a fashion that would connect his best material with an audience.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:53 PM   #59
FoolofaTook

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
Why do I still follow this band?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cq6fKBlUAAAIHxL.jpg

Old 12-02-2018, 08:39 PM   #60
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

mijn anus