Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2018, 03:56 PM   #91
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentsRocks View Post
Billy came across as a cool guy back when he claims he was "dressing like a poof" (yet now he wears dresses on stage and scarves in public). Lots of psychedelic button up shirts and hair style. Even his guitar solos were a lot more psychedelic. He seemed modest.

It's hard to imagine the Corgan of the early 90's going on to be the guy who interviewed with Alex Jones, someone who constantly flings shit in every direction. It seems he changed most dramatically when Siamese Dream became a big hit, you can see a shift in his interviews between '94 and '95. In the '94 interviews, he seems like a fun guy having a good time, but then you listen to '95 interviews, he pretty much sounds like the condescending explainer-of-everything he's been ever since. He said the song Today was about suicide, and in a way it's as if the person he was before did commit suicide, and some bald interloper assumed his likeness. It's like he got half way through making MCIS, and somehow died, for all intents and purposes.
Yeh, pretty sure I made this post already.

Old 12-17-2018, 04:05 PM   #92
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

that's a very specific post to claim to have already made

Old 12-17-2018, 04:06 PM   #93
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

in any case... perhaps "modest" is not the word y'all are collectively looking for here

but, you know

i get it

Old 12-17-2018, 04:30 PM   #94
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
you also keeping an eye on cluckett's twitter?
Or maybe I am Cluckett! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

https://68.media.tumblr.com/0ef9d81f...9iiyo1_500.gif

Old 12-17-2018, 04:36 PM   #95
Kahlo

No one care.

Old 12-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #96
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
tbh most people i know who aren't really pumpkins fans think Billy's just the singer. there's a reason he gets listed as one of the most underrated players of the 90s
I think it owes to the way that James pensively studies his guitar when he plays that people assume he's responsible for making the cool sounds (occasionally he was, ebow, laser gun, strange guitar tuning). Also because he's Asian, and an Asian stereotype is that whatever they do, they do very well. And it's just kind of uncommon for the lead singer to also be the more skilled guitarist in a group, which makes a person wonder why Billy didn't hold out for a guitarists similar to Jeff Schroeder to begin with, they're a dime a dozen now, and they definitely were back then.

Old 12-17-2018, 04:59 PM   #97
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

the band they became wasn't really the band they were when they started out - i mean Billy was on bass for christ sake. either way it's not totally surprising to me that he wasn't looking for someone to upstage him right off the bat

Old 12-17-2018, 07:51 PM   #98
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
the band they became wasn't really the band they were when they started out - i mean Billy was on bass for christ sake. either way it's not totally surprising to me that he wasn't looking for someone to upstage him right off the bat
The fact that Billy was willing to take the bass and let James play guitar was pretty remarkable considering Billy was a fully blown shredder by then, and speaks to the fact that he had been both modest and generous. After things fell apart with James and D'arcy, it was nothing but hired guns and strict confidentiality agreements.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:55 PM   #99
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

you're about to be banned

consider this a warning

Old 12-17-2018, 08:10 PM   #100
redbreegull

Quote:
I think it owes to the way that James pensively studies his guitar when he plays that people assume he's responsible for making the cool sounds (occasionally he was, ebow, laser gun, strange guitar tuning). Also because he's Asian, and an Asian stereotype is that whatever they do, they do very well.
or maybe it's that the lead singer is usually not also the lead guitarist when there is a 2nd guitarist in the band

Old 12-17-2018, 08:11 PM   #101
redbreegull

no one even knows who James Iha is or what he looks like other than fans

Old 12-17-2018, 08:51 PM   #102
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Billy came across as a cool guy back when he claims he was "dressing like a poof" (yet now he wears dresses on stage and scarves in public). Lots of psychedelic button up shirts and hair style. Even his guitar solos were a lot more psychedelic. He seemed modest.

It's hard to imagine the Corgan of the early 90's going on to be the guy who interviewed with Alex Jones, someone who constantly flings shit in every direction. It seems he changed most dramatically when Siamese Dream became a big hit, you can see a shift in his interviews between '94 and '95. In the '94 interviews, he seems like a fun guy having a good time, but then you listen to '95 interviews, he pretty much sounds like the condescending explainer-of-everything he's been ever since. He said the song Today was about suicide, and in a way it's as if the person he was before did commit suicide, and some bald interloper assumed his likeness. It's like he got half way through making MCIS, and somehow died, for all intents and purposes.
Yes. Billy Corgan sucks now. We all realize that.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:53 PM   #103
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Yes. Billy Corgan sucks now. We all realize it.
You mostly talk about the death of his musical talent, I'm more talking about the death of his soul, because as you know, I appreciate some of this soulless abomination's later works.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #104
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
You mostly talk about the death of his musical talent, I'm more talking about the death of his soul, because as you know, I appreciate some of this soulless abomination's later works.
I do too. But one certainly couldn't argue there wasn't a massive downgrade in his artistic quality from 2000-2018... Now there was a few little peaks and valleys, but the drop-off is quite stunning.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:45 AM   #105
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy sold his soul to Alex Jones and Linda Strawberries.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:39 PM   #106
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Red face

https://scontent-dus1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...5f&oe=5C9BE846

Old 12-18-2018, 01:58 PM   #107
Kahlo

The band aren't happy you've shared the new Machina cover. Take it down or face legal action.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:19 PM   #108
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Arrow

I've only stolen it from D'arcy's sister Molly. She had posted it on her Facebook site, a street graffitti she had found...

Old 12-18-2018, 05:35 PM   #109
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Iha is clearly influenced by shoegaze

“Gazing at shoes” omg mind blown

His lack of stage presence has been there since day 1

Old 12-19-2018, 02:03 AM   #110
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post

i wonder if she's satisfied being a hop along at this point in her life. if you told her in the year 2000 that she'd still be traipsing along with billy and the pumpkins 18 years later, would she be enthused with that idea?

Old 12-19-2018, 04:49 AM   #111
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

She's never had anything else going on, apart from that pretty good song she did for Phineas and Ferb. I feel like she could have predicted that a little bit, and felt glad that he didn't toss her aside when she turned 30 like all the others

Old 12-19-2018, 10:06 AM   #112
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
She's never had anything else going on, apart from that pretty good song she did for Phineas and Ferb. I feel like she could have predicted that a little bit, and felt glad that he didn't toss her aside when she turned 30 like all the others

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/YUHqb41gyRg/hqdefault.jpg

Old 12-19-2018, 10:10 AM   #113
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
i wonder if she's satisfied being a hop along at this point in her life. if you told her in the year 2000 that she'd still be traipsing along with billy and the pumpkins 18 years later, would she be enthused with that idea?
Seems like a pretty sweet gig to me

Old 12-19-2018, 01:33 PM   #114
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

we could all aim a little higher than that though

Old 12-19-2018, 02:26 PM   #115
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

It does seem like a pretty sweet gig. But then again it’s Billy.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:33 PM   #116
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Linda Strawberry is sort of like the Gaga character in A Star Is Born, only this is the Bizarro World version of that story, in which the character has no actual talent and is basically stuck as a glorified groupie for the rest of her existence.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:51 PM   #117
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
The more I learn about Billy on account of his connecting with fans, as they say, the more salient that saying "don't meet your heroes" becomes. It becomes mental gymnastics for me to still highly regard the music I've loved for decades, as my opinion the artist rapidly erodes. I suppose Linda Strawberry likes where she is, but I think I'm feel the more physical and social distance, the better.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:00 PM   #118
FoolofaTook

you write like your on crack (cocaine)

Old 12-20-2018, 10:01 AM   #119
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

ure***

Old 12-20-2018, 10:06 AM   #120
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
The more I learn about Billy on account of his connecting with fans, as they say, the more salient that saying "don't meet your heroes" becomes. It becomes mental gymnastics for me to still highly regard the music I've loved for decades, as my opinion the artist rapidly erodes. I suppose Linda Strawberry likes where she is, but I think I'm feel the more physical and social distance, the better.
can't believe some of y'all even still consider current billy & 90s billy to be the same guy