Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2023, 09:39 PM   #1
Ram27
dumb

Default how do i remind myself that my value is not predicted upon what the job market thinks

like, regardless of my fucking degree [i am getting a bachelor's in general studies which according to people means i might as well shoot myself in the fucking brain stem] or my fucking credit card debt or my fucking ability to deal with fucking bullshit-ass job applications asking me fucking shit like fucking oh 'would you ever ever break the rules like really would you' wasting my fucking time

and it's hard to step back and think - maybe i shouldn't shoot myself because i am a good person who sometimes laughs at things and i can play guitar and etc etc

but then in this fucking society all that matters is can i fucking pass the anal probe interview process just to sit in a shitty chair and type shit all day

Old 01-06-2023, 09:40 PM   #2
Ram27
dumb

anyway i love you all, thanks for being the only real forum left on the internet

Old 01-06-2023, 09:46 PM   #3
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

have you tried volunteering

Old 01-07-2023, 04:25 AM   #4
Cool As Ice Cream

maybe you should buy new clothes

Old 01-07-2023, 05:27 AM   #5
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Live for the small things and make small changes toward the big things as often as you can. I haven't found a better way than that.

Old 01-07-2023, 06:37 AM   #6
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

You're overthinking it mate. It's a lottery and you are going to lose most of the time.

Don't know over there but here shop assistant is one of the hardest jobs to get just because of the sheer amount of kids who apply for it. Do you think H&M is the new Skull and Bones, hiring the best minds in the world? lol

Old 01-07-2023, 10:21 AM   #7
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
You're overthinking it mate. It's a lottery and you are going to lose most of the time.
Nah. Ram doesn't know it, but he's got it made. He's a white man. All he has to do is show up and eventually he'll fail upwards.

I say that as a white guy who is currently failing upwards.

Old 01-07-2023, 10:28 AM   #8
yo soy el mejor

predicated would have been a better word choice than predicted in this case.

Old 01-07-2023, 10:29 AM   #9
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Yes, So Educational, Mother.

Old 01-07-2023, 10:33 AM   #10
yo soy el mejor

thank you, white guy falling upward.

Last edited by yo soy el mejor : 01-07-2023 at 10:42 AM.

Old 01-07-2023, 12:46 PM   #11
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Nah. Ram doesn't know it, but he's got it made. He's a white man. All he has to do is show up and eventually he'll fail upwards.

When doing the whole white guilt rigmarole could you specify "american white"?

I'm european white and my forefathers didn't have plantations or slaves, just a couple of extremely dissatisfactory Africa campaigns.

lol

Old 01-07-2023, 12:49 PM   #12
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

would you hire yourself ram

Old 01-07-2023, 02:17 PM   #13
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
thank you, white guy falling upward.
*failing

And you're welcome.

Old 01-07-2023, 03:44 PM   #14
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Become a wife guy

Old 01-07-2023, 03:44 PM   #15
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
have you tried volunteering
i haven't, and that's a good idea, but i'm actually far too lazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post

Don't know over there but here shop assistant is one of the hardest jobs to get just because of the sheer amount of kids who apply for it. Do you think H&M is the new Skull and Bones, hiring the best minds in the world? lol
hmm that does make sense. here i've had no issues whatsoever getting shitty fast food jobs [i am trying for a proper desk job at this point]

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post

i'm only half white is that okay. and my name isn't white

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourruseoffools View Post
would you hire yourself ram
this made me introspect for at least 2 minutes and i am not sure. i mean, i wouldn't reject myself

Old 01-08-2023, 10:13 AM   #16
yo soy el mejor

names matter. people are so racist just by names alone. but i'd never submit an application with a fake white name. if my brains were inside of a white person with a white name and white connections, i'd be off to the races, for sure!

Old 01-09-2023, 12:54 PM   #17
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

For sure!

Old 01-09-2023, 12:55 PM   #18
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Talking

Old 01-09-2023, 05:00 PM   #19
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Have you considered living in your car and making a "Van Life" youtube channel? Lots of young homeless people making bank on youtube right now by calling it a lifestyle.

Or just break into a house in the woods and squat. Cottage Core is a huge category on youtube.

Old 01-09-2023, 05:01 PM   #20
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

There's also a lot of jobs available right now in the Ukrainian military. They don't care what your degree is

Old 01-09-2023, 05:05 PM   #21
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

For real though, the interview thing is a bunch of crap. i spent at least 40 hours in interviews with my current employer to get the job I have now.

And I'm probably getting fired next week, cause they're eliminating 18,000 jobs. I really don't want to go back through the interview grinder all over again.

Old 01-09-2023, 06:25 PM   #22
Ram27
dumb

oh god yeah. i just got an email [finally one that doesn't look like a bot] from some nonprofit asking me to interview with them. i don't even remember applying and i have a semester of school left lol so

Old 01-10-2023, 08:13 PM   #23
yo soy el mejor

i keep getting asked to interview for jobs in fundraising and development for positions that are higher than my current level and pay more, but i just want to pivot into policy research and/or curriculum-building. i am sick of talking about donors and money and dealing with the white, racist and capitalistic version of philanthropy and service. the latter rears its ugly head everywhere, though.

god, i've been at my job a little over a year now and am set to inherit a portfolio of ~100 people this month--i'm starting to get scared that the longer i hang around, the harder that pivot will be but my younger-than-me mentor did email a connection at a place i recently applied. tommy said lots of people gets jobs from who they know but i've never known anyone until now.

Old 01-11-2023, 12:08 PM   #24
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Lightbulb

What specific kind of desk job are you aiming for? It's best to tailor your resume to show you've used applicable skills in all your prior jobs/experience, even if it's just, like, "organized jobs by priority" instead of like "delivered pizzas," because you would have had to figure out who to drive to first, right?

It's also, and this sucks, good to read the job description and figure out what words seem particularly important, and then use those exact words in your resume. So, if they say you need to know, say, "Microsoft Office," you wouldn't put "Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook" in your skills, you'd just write "Microsoft Office." If one of the first things they say they're looking for is someone who's "punctual" you stick that word in somewhere, and so on. This is because just about everyone uses an applicant tracking system (ATS) these days, and most are set up to search for keywords, and just automatically reject you if your resume doesn't have them. And then no human will even see that you've applied, much less read your cover letter or whatever.

This is, well, further dehumanizing in terms of applying for jobs, but it is what it is, and it's not a reflection of your worth, it's a reflection of the job market. You're selling yourself to one specific company at a time, and most people do not like selling themselves (I certainly don't). This is definitely not all that matters in the world, as you put it. It's just all that matters for the task of getting a job, which is a temporary project. And it's one we all do, and almost everyone is going to have to do it a bunch of times in their life, and we all agree it fucking sucks. Try not to let it pull you down. We've all been where you are.

Unless someone here was just like handed the keys to a consulting firm by their dad when they turned 18, I dunno. I don't know everyone's situation.

Old 01-11-2023, 02:52 PM   #25
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Honestly, that is so encouraging and helpful. Really great advice and perspective, thank you.

Old 01-11-2023, 08:04 PM   #26
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
What specific kind of desk job are you aiming for? It's best to tailor your resume to show you've used applicable skills in all your prior jobs/experience, even if it's just, like, "organized jobs by priority" instead of like "delivered pizzas," because you would have had to figure out who to drive to first, right?

It's also, and this sucks, good to read the job description and figure out what words seem particularly important, and then use those exact words in your resume. So, if they say you need to know, say, "Microsoft Office," you wouldn't put "Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook" in your skills, you'd just write "Microsoft Office." If one of the first things they say they're looking for is someone who's "punctual" you stick that word in somewhere, and so on. This is because just about everyone uses an applicant tracking system (ATS) these days, and most are set up to search for keywords, and just automatically reject you if your resume doesn't have them. And then no human will even see that you've applied, much less read your cover letter or whatever.

This is, well, further dehumanizing in terms of applying for jobs, but it is what it is, and it's not a reflection of your worth, it's a reflection of the job market. You're selling yourself to one specific company at a time, and most people do not like selling themselves (I certainly don't). This is definitely not all that matters in the world, as you put it. It's just all that matters for the task of getting a job, which is a temporary project. And it's one we all do, and almost everyone is going to have to do it a bunch of times in their life, and we all agree it fucking sucks. Try not to let it pull you down. We've all been where you are.

Unless someone here was just like handed the keys to a consulting firm by their dad when they turned 18, I dunno. I don't know everyone's situation.
this is great stuff, thank you!!

i always hear people talk about tailoring their resume, but somehow never made the connection to -- oh, that's where you jam in the buzzwords they want. pain in the ass bullshit world, thank you though. i have my resume as a handy pdf now i gotta open up word every time

i don't actually know what sort of desk job - i mean, nothing too evil and they pay me, that's basically it. i don't know the categories even really. insurance, logistics, uhh judicious augmented beautiful

Old 01-11-2023, 08:09 PM   #27
Ram27
dumb

i remember for most of school it felt like when i started a new class, i was doomed forever. a mean sort of militaristic teacher has my soul until the end of time

but now it's like oh this is 4 months, fuck you. i guess it's like that with jobs to some degree

Old 01-11-2023, 09:25 PM   #28
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Right. I decided against getting my Master's while I was on a roll at school because the thought of living in a dorm for another 2 years was crushing to me at 22. Admittedly there was some other sinister shit at play which was also preventing me from going for it, but I really should have tried. I was making straight As and in that mindset. I could absolutely not return to school right now, my head is in too many places with too many other obligations. And another loan doesn't seem worth it at my age after the hit of paying off my useless BA.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:57 AM   #29
Cool As Ice Cream

if only i could sell myself
the way that even i would buy

Old 01-12-2023, 04:47 PM   #30
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Lightbulb

Oh! One other thing about ATS: It's obvious you're getting fed into one when they make you fill out friggin' six pages of form fields, but even if they just have you upload, or email, your resume, you're still probably getting scanned into one without any human intervention. So 1) don't get lazy on those applications and 2) don't get fancy with your resume layout. Keep it in a standard format because, again, if that ATS has the slightest trouble extracting your info correctly, you're automatically rejected.

All this shit was brand-new to me the last time I was searching. I can't imagine how much more awful it's going to be in like five years. It's worth reading up on job search strategies—not the crazy "you'll only land a job if you do 40 hours of work prepping a business value presentation to the hiring manager you stalked on LinkedIn" shit, just the basic "here is the nuts and bolts of the actual hiring process most companies use" stuff.