Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
But I'm a funny guy...
joepesci.mov

Old 01-15-2016, 11:58 PM   #33
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

Tom Green is kind of like a modern Andy Kaufmann in some ways. He paved the way for things like Punk'd and Jackass.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:00 AM   #34
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

If all you've seen is his MTV show - then you should know that show was made from hundreds of hours of footage that he all shot on his own for his Canadian public access show. MTV just licensed the "best of", so to speak.

America tried to turn him into a stand up comic which he never was.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:40 PM   #35
fuzzyroes
Banned

Yeah his show was great. When he did try and make new stuff with MTV it just wasn't as good because he had these huge camera crews with him and it just ruined the authenticity. Tom Greens whole comedic approach was getting funny reactions from the public. It worked well in his early days cause it would be a buddy or 2 with a camera and people react differently to a few jackasses messing around than they would with a huge professional camera crew

Old 01-16-2016, 05:00 PM   #36
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Vix, is anybody attending the event to record it? Would be cool to post it here.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:40 PM   #37
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I have a few friends attending, I'll ask one if they can discretely do a sound recording on their phone.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:46 PM   #38
Aeris
Demi-God

tom green owns

Old 01-16-2016, 08:57 PM   #39
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

ever since someone posted the who can eat more meat kenny vs spenny episode in my thread about stopping eating meat i've been watching the show.

like it's so terrible but amazing at the same time i cant help myself. ive watched almost 5 seasons in like 2 weeks. like i know i should hate it and in one episode kenny basically molests someone but he's so fucking charismatic it's insane

Old 01-16-2016, 09:07 PM   #40
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsoncrusoe View Post
Where is ol' couch ass?
Sup guys. I'm an old man and don't peruse the boards as much as I used to.

As for the topic, good luck. There's a reason most performers will tell you that stand-up is the hardest and most pure form of comedy.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:32 PM   #41
Aeris
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Couch Ass View Post
There's a reason most performers will tell you that stand-up is the most pure form of comedy.
they're pretentious?

Old 01-16-2016, 09:51 PM   #42
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

Sure.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:26 PM   #43
run2pee
Minion of Satan

This sounds truly terrifying. It's not like people can pretend to laugh if you do poorly. Its just gonna be a silent room of stony faces, mirthless eyes fixed on you, as the hot flood of shame and fear rises all around

Old 01-17-2016, 08:05 PM   #44
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Oh, well, that's happened to me plenty of times already. I think that's why I'm doing it. because I've played guitar/organ/piano in front of an audience hundreds of times now, as a church musician, and have failed and felt the hot shame already. And as a children's ministry worker, I had to present children's addresses each week, and a lot of my jokes fell flat. It will be awful in that moment, I know, but you know. Life goes on.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:51 PM   #45
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

good for you vix. im too much of a wimp to do shit like that

Old 01-18-2016, 06:50 PM   #46
vixnix
Socialphobic

Thanks reprise. It's on my bucket list of things to do, so it will feel good to know I've given it a try I know on the day I'll feel sick and shaky though!! And wonder why I did it to myself. I have a few friends coming to see me, I think that's the worst bit. Failing in front of a group of strangers is much less confronting than failing in front of a group of your peers. If I can't make my friends laugh that will be truly excrutiating.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:59 AM   #47
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

you can always do the crazy frog if you need to make people laugh.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:40 AM   #48
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris View Post
tom green owns

hahaha I hadn't seen that one in years. "he's got a hammer"

Also funny that he's wearing a "BUM Equipment" sweater. I remember that brand was really popular in the early 90's and even as a little child I could never understand why someone would wear clothes with BUM written right on the athletic gear.

My favorite Tom Green piece is this though. Just priceless:

Old 01-19-2016, 11:54 AM   #49
fuzzyroes
Banned

It's funny, Tom Green actually had a hit song in a rap trio in the early 90's in Canada

Tom Greens part starts at the 1:25 mark

Old 01-19-2016, 11:56 AM   #50
fuzzyroes
Banned

This always cracks me up too

It's funny cause Tom had that desk specially made to replicate Johnny Carsons for his new talk show and this bro-dude starts fucking it up with a chain-saw

Old 01-19-2016, 01:30 PM   #51
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Oh, well, that's happened to me plenty of times already. I think that's why I'm doing it. because I've played guitar/organ/piano in front of an audience hundreds of times now, as a church musician, and have failed and felt the hot shame already. And as a children's ministry worker, I had to present children's addresses each week, and a lot of my jokes fell flat. It will be awful in that moment, I know, but you know. Life goes on.
But at church you're behind an instrument right? And there's a song going on and stuff. But here it's gonna be just you and a microphone, and your words. And somehow you've got to make them laugh.

Sometimes I think good stand ups are like the bravest and most impressive of all show businesses

Old 01-19-2016, 03:16 PM   #52
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starla View Post
Please record it so we can see this.
by "it" she means the pegging

Old 01-19-2016, 09:37 PM   #53
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabshack View Post
Tom Green is kind of like a modern Andy Kaufmann in some ways. He paved the way for things like Punk'd and Jackass.

NO

Old 01-19-2016, 11:55 PM   #54
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
But at church you're behind an instrument right? And there's a song going on and stuff. But here it's gonna be just you and a microphone, and your words. And somehow you've got to make them laugh.

Sometimes I think good stand ups are like the bravest and most impressive of all show businesses
When I play, I'm behind an instrument, but the children's addresses were in front of the congregation, with no music or anything. Just me trying to explain a theological concept to children in front of a group of adults. It was pretty excruciating a lot of weeks.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:57 AM   #55
Cool As Ice Cream

*sends passive-aggressive email to coach of children's football team*

Old 01-20-2016, 03:27 AM   #56
vixnix
Socialphobic

I have to admit that I'm ashamed of how wound up I was. But I've since bitched about him to other parents who also think he's a total dickhead, and somebody told me that he wore those camera sunglasses to a game, to capture footage of the match. Which is not only psycho but has overtones of pedo as well. But when confronted about it, despite how obvious it was, he denied it lol. He's basically an IRL David Brent.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:28 AM   #57
vixnix
Socialphobic

So as well as feeling ashamed, I also feel vindicated by the fact that I was right about him and he is indeed a total fucking Muppet

Old 01-20-2016, 04:04 AM   #58
Cool As Ice Cream

"those camera sunglasses"?
i have no idea which camera sunglasses you're talking about.

i was just thinking that maybe it's excruciating for him too to explain football to a bunch of children.

and if he's a real life david brent, maybe he should get an open mic slot too. if they're all taken, i think you should give him your slot. it's only fair.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:59 AM   #59
vixnix
Socialphobic

http://www.chinacellulars.com/images...-spc-210-1.jpg

You wanna know why he has them? Because he's a MAMIL. Him and his peloton need to wear them so they get video footage of all the cars that try to run him and his lycra-clad buddies off the road.

Yeah, because 60km/hr uphill roads are a great place for you and your idiot friends to ride three abreast and hold up traffic. Nice one!

Old 01-20-2016, 10:01 AM   #60
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

The babies in the cave thing Tom Green did made me laugh so hard I cried. Same with the slut mobile.