Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2014, 04:41 AM   #301
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

get your drum talk fix at drumtalk.com

Old 03-11-2014, 05:02 AM   #302
morespsoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Day Spa View Post
get your drum talk fix at drumtalk.com
Judging by how controlling Smashing Pumpkins fans are, you'd think that Billy Corgan is the type of artist that would require mobile phones at his shows to only be set to airplane mode or something.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:28 PM   #303
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
...just stumbled upon this clip >>>

Billy:
"...me and my best friend here...my number one partner in crime...he's got the muscles."

We're really fucking pissed off again.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:57 PM   #304
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

http://www.alternativenation.net/?p=45106

On May 2nd, (Scott) Lucas will team up with drummer Jimmy Chamberlin (formerly of The Smashing Pumpkins) and bassist Matt Ulery under the band name Mary Shelley for a unique live performance during CIMM (Chicago International Music & Movies Fest). The trio will score Sergei Eisenstein’s 1925 silent film masterpiece “Battleship Potemkin” at 1st Ward (2033 W. North Ave.). More information about CIMM here: http://cimmfest.org/cimmfest-2014-in...-announcement/. Lucas, a film buff who also writes about movies for Chicagoist (see his work here: http://chicagoist.com/profile/Scott_lucas), jumped at the chance to combine two of his biggest passions..

Old 03-26-2014, 05:27 PM   #305
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

OH MY GOD I WOULD SO GO TO THAT

Old 03-28-2014, 02:55 AM   #306
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidrr View Post
heres the pro-shot Umphrey McGee 'Cherub Rock' video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXGh7...ature=youtu.be
By the way...they released a Blu-ray/DVD set >>>

Quote:
Disc 1:

A Mild Sedative
Plunger
Much Obliged
Kimble
Morning Song
The Floor
Slacker
Syncopated Strangers
Hurt Bird Bath
The Crooked One
Comma Later

Disc 2:

The Triple Wide
Hajimemashite/Glory
Hangover
Thin Air
Red Tape
Bad Friday
Night Moves
Der Bluten Kat
Divisions
Believe The Lie
Cherub Rock
Quote:
The first disc features a mix of tracks from the first two nights of the Riviera run, while the second disc blends songs from the final two Riv shows including a cover of "Cherub Rock" with original Smashing Pumpkins drummer Jimmy Chamberlin behind the kit. Those purchasing the DVD or Blu-Ray will also get to see the full version of "All In Time" filmed by GoPro cameras, a portion of which we posted earlier this month.

Both the DVD and Blu-Ray sets are available for purchase via TourGigs.
Source:
http://www.jambase.com/Articles/1211...VD-and-Blu-Ray

Old 03-28-2014, 03:02 AM   #307
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy drevpile View Post
The trio will score Sergei Eisenstein’s 1925 silent film masterpiece “Battleship Potemkin”
This following so closely after Billy's bloop bleep Siddhartha is amusingly coincidental

Old 03-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #308
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
This following so closely after Billy's bloop bleep Siddhartha is amusingly coincidental
Help me out here - where do you see a connection between Battleship Potemkin at a film festival, and synths to a Hesse novella? ?

Old 03-28-2014, 08:58 AM   #309
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreatorkind View Post
it could be pretty cool. I wanna see it.
Yep.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:32 AM   #310
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Help me out here - where do you see a connection between Battleship Potemkin at a film festival, and synths to a Hesse novella? ?
They are both musical accompaniments to previous non-musical classic works of art.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #311
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/20...ntent=03282014

Old 04-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #312
Ram27
dumb

Jellybelly is some serious shit.

Last edited by Ram27 : 04-13-2014 at 11:34 PM. Reason: >me in charge of transcription. Your points still stand of course. Jimmy's pretty good

Old 04-13-2014, 08:51 PM   #313
Shallowed
Braindead

I'm sure there are far more rudiments in between phrases there.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:11 PM   #314
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

Yeah. It's like transcribing ragtime. Play it straight and it sounds like shit, but it is technically correct.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:34 PM   #315
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingeroGuitaro View Post
Yeah. It's like transcribing ragtime. Play it straight and it sounds like shit, but it is technically correct.
This

Old 04-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #316
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Was this posted already? Sorry if it was.

http://www.out.com/entertainment/mus...usty-comes-air

Old 04-23-2014, 05:18 PM   #317
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Frank Catalano says that the shows him and Jimmy played in Chicago earlier this year have been filmed and not only that but him and Jimmy are going back to the studio to record even more new music.
Quote:
As part of CIMMFEST - Jimmy will be appearing on a panel entitled "Live Streaming: From Consumption to Cache" on Saturday, May 3rd at 1:30 - 3:00PM (murica Time). One presumes the panel itself will be live-streamed somewhere, though I can't see mention of it on the festival page. Anyway, this is in addition to Chamberlin's performance in his new band "Mary Shelly" and their scoring of the classic Battleship Potempkin.
Source:
http://themachinesomehow.blogspot.de...-round-up.html

Old 04-28-2014, 05:22 AM   #318
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

New clip with Jimmy...audio is distorted unfortunately >>>

Quote:
Petty Fest at Metro 4/23/14: A Benefit Show For Sweet Relief, Sponsored By Jameson

The night was full of really big highlights, but my favorites were as follows: Jimmy Chamberlin of Smashing Pumpkins came out to play drums while Cory Chisel sang “It’s Good To Be King.” The song also featured an awesome guitar solo by Robert Ellis that I was not expecting at all.

Source:
http://www.music-defined.com/2014/04...ed-by-jameson/

Old 05-02-2014, 01:45 AM   #319
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Mary Shelley ready to rock ‘Potemkin’ score at CIMMFest

In July of 1998, the late film critic Roger Ebert sat outdoors in Three Oaks, Mich., and watched a film he’d seen many times before, “Battleship Potemkin,” projected on a massive screen.

Shortly thereafter, he expressed renewed admiration for director Sergei Eisenstein’s silent Russian revolutionary classic in one of his “Great Movie” reviews.

But it wasn’t merely the bucolic setting — a balmy and starlit summer night — that led to Ebert’s reassessment of the 1925 propagandistic feature, where fed-up sailors mutiny against their superiors and soldiers clash violently with citizens yearning to live free from oppressive Tsarist rule. It was also the live musical score, performed by the southwestern Michigan rock band Concrete.

The trio, Ebert wrote, “underlined and reinforced Eisenstein’s approach with an insistent, rhythmic, repetitive score, using keyboards, half-heard snatches of speech, cries and choral passages, percussion, martial airs and found sounds. It was an aggressive, insistent approach, played loud, by musicians who saw themselves as Eisenstein’s collaborators, not his meek accompanists.”

It made Ebert better realize “why this movie was long considered dangerous.”

The Chicago rockers Mary Shelley would surely be pleased by a similar response from audience members when they play their own “Battleship Potemkin” soundtrack on May 2 at 1st Ward, during the Chicago International Movies & Music Festival (CIMMFest), which takes place May 1 through 4 at venues in Wicker Park, Bucktown, Logan Square and the West Loop.

In decades past, silent films typically were accompanied by movie house orchestras or pre-existing pieces of music. In the case of “Potemkin,” Eisenstein hoped it would be scored anew every couple of decades to help maintain its relevance.

In the past two decades there have been several reimagined scores, such as the one Ebert heard in Michigan, and a 2004 take by British pop group the Pet Shop Boys, who performed their techno-infused composition during a screening in London’s Trafalgar Square.

Within the framework of these new interpretations, there is often room to riff.

“The emotional dynamic is mostly mapped out,” says Mary Shelley bassist Matt Ulery, who composes for and plays with the band Matt Ulery’s Loom. “But improvising is a must. It makes sense.”

Mary Shelley drummer Jimmy Chamberlin, formerly of Smashing Pumpkins, thinks it’s crucial, too.

“Even in classical music these days and in things that have been scored, there’s a real rigidity in the perception of it,” says Chamberlin, who regards “Potemkin” as an exploration of extreme oppression and humanity’s response to it rather than simply a piece of political propaganda. “When these things [soundtracks to silent movie screenings] were being performed live, they were kind of living, breathing organisms that lived and flowed with the emotional situations or the culture of the time. So we really want to try to capture a bit of that element… to grab bits and pieces of what’s happening around us and make that part of the music. And I think in doing that, it makes things a little bit more relevant.”

Though they remain unsure about how exactly it will all come together at the festival, each band member already has a good idea of themes they’ll explore throughout the 75-minute presentation. Above all, Ulery says, it’s a matter of “getting the right emotions that go with the various parts of the movie.”

The most famous portion — a massacre of civilians on an expanse of outdoor stairs (the “Odessa Steps” in Odessa, Ukraine) — is sure to be among the most stirring portions from a musical standpoint as well as a visual one.

“There’s a real density to the subject matter that really lends itself to a real dynamic musical presentation, which I think falls really nicely into all of our musical sweet spots,” Chamberlin says. “So I don’t really look at is as an exploration in rock. More like an exploration in dynamics — kind of heaviness that really penetrates what the subject matter is of the movie. Although there are rock elements in it, I think it is more score-based with more dense music as opposed to rock. It’s not heavy just for the sake of being heavy. It’s heavy because it’s tethered to subject matter that’s very heavy.”

And if the overall experience provokes thought or spurs discussion about current events (civil unrest in Ukraine, for instance) as much as it entertains, Mary Shelley guitarist Scott Lucas (of Local H) says, that’s a bonus.

“There’s no harm or foul in getting people to think of political recidivism in the context of art exploration. Art’s job, in and of itself, is to get people thinking outside the box.”
Source:
http://www.suntimes.com/entertainmen...l#.U2MwVy__xeU

Old 05-02-2014, 01:49 AM   #320
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

That looks interesting. I wouldn't mind hearing that. I've heard a few other silent 1920s films redone by contemporary bands and they've turned out really well. The drums are usually the best part, too.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #321
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

JC has a good feeling for visuals, he could make some great film scores imo.

80 minutes Potemkin from hell, Like a Hurricane as encore.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #322
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

http://cimmfest.org/live-streaming-consumption-cache/

Old 05-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #323
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 05-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #324
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
...says Chamberlin, who regards “Potemkin” as an exploration of extreme oppression and humanity’s response to it rather than simply a piece of political propaganda.
lol. wow jimmy how eloquent.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #325
slunken
Virgo

how it probably went down

"so jimmy many people have said that potemkin is an exploration of extreme opppression and humanity's response to it rather than simply a piece of propaganda would you agree to this?"

"uh sure"

Old 05-04-2014, 06:55 AM   #326
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Mary Shelley (former Smashing Pumpkins drummer Jimmy Chamberlin, Matt Ulery on bass and Scott Lucas of Local H on guitar) continued that trend Friday night at 1st Ward, albeit in a slightly more rocking fashion, as a screening of classic silent film Battleship Potemkin was projected behind them. For seventy-five minutes, the band never stopped, matching the emotional impact of the film with music that was at times psychedelic and other times punk. While Chamberlin's propulsive fills were a highlight of the live score, it was the equally intense guitar playing of Lucas that fueled Neil Young's "Like a Hurricane" for nearly ten minutes during the encore.
Source:
http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-at...le-may-3-2014/

Old 05-04-2014, 08:05 AM   #327
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
Sounds / looks like some bits were quite interesting and worked better than I had imagined. Some bits not as sure about. Would like to have seen the full thing & at least it seems a great deal more palatable than the 6hr siddhartha.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:14 AM   #328
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Like a Hurricane as encore.
>>>

Old 05-04-2014, 11:26 PM   #329
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy drevpile View Post
Sounds / looks like some bits were quite interesting and worked better than I had imagined. Some bits not as sure about. Would like to have seen the full thing & at least it seems a great deal more palatable than the 6hr siddhartha.
Jimmy playing drums ≥ Billy solo stuff

Old 05-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #330
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

"Vic's Drum Shop ‏@VicsDrumShop 10. Mai
@PBOUVET @mikeslessons @MattBandhappy #drumclinic #soundcheck @VicsDrumShop with Jimmy Chamberlin looking on!"