Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
dodoz
Demi-God

Default Mystery Pumpkin show - august 93 in France ?

Alright...I wanted to share an image here but i'm getting "Upload Errors" over and over.

4 years ago, I posted an ad for a french festival featuring the Pumpkins on my facebook page and never got more info about this mystery show. It's not listed anywhere.
France was late and had to catch up with the Pumpkins for years .It shows in this very unusual booking in an outdoor biker festival (!) in the french countryside...It's called "Free Wheels", took place in Cunlhat (if it did take place) in august 93 (19-20-21-22).The other bands are either very obscure nobodies, probably local bands, or blues rock acts very different from the Pumpkins. Who knows if the band even played there, and if so, what was the date ? It's a mystery. I'm not sure this audience deserved the Pumpkins in their prime.

The listed bands are : Space Cake, Arlekin, Odyssey, Truckers, J Boss Band, Hey Bookmakers
Then in bigger print : Meteors, Hans Olson,John Luke Logan, Smashing Pumpkins
And in even larger print, so probably headlining (and yes, these two were bigger than the Pumpkins at the time) : Jeff Healey, Calvin Russell.

A far cry from Reading or Lollapalooza...

Old 04-12-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodoz View Post
Alright...I wanted to share an image here but i'm getting "Upload Errors" over and over.

4 years ago, I posted an ad for a french festival featuring the Pumpkins on my facebook page and never got more info about this mystery show. It's not listed anywhere.
France was late and had to catch up with the Pumpkins for years .It shows in this very unusual booking in an outdoor biker festival (!) in the french countryside...It's called "Free Wheels", took place in Cunlhat (if it did take place) in august 93 (19-20-21-22).The other bands are either very obscure nobodies, probably local bands, or blues rock acts very different from the Pumpkins. Who knows if the band even played there, and if so, what was the date ? It's a mystery. I'm not sure this audience deserved the Pumpkins in their prime.

The listed bands are : Space Cake, Arlekin, Odyssey, Truckers, J Boss Band, Hey Bookmakers
Then in bigger print : Meteors, Hans Olson,John Luke Logan, Smashing Pumpkins
And in even larger print, so probably headlining (and yes, these two were bigger than the Pumpkins at the time) : Jeff Healey, Calvin Russell.
Wasn't Free Wheels the Hell's Angels' festival?

I don't think they played, either the organizers listed them before the date was confirmed, or it was one of the shows SP cancelled that summer.

I've never seen anything that would suggest they played gigs between Chicago, August 14
and touring with The Verve, beginning on August 23 in Norway.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
dodoz
Demi-God

Thanks for the imput. I wouldn't be surprised if they had cancelled that indeed.
It does look like a biker festival, not sure if it's an Angels thing but there are pictures of motorbikes on the advert.