Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
Starla

Default Billy to perform Rumi at the tea house

Old 03-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #2
Starla

Don't forget, no airplane mode

Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan will perform a concert titled "Sunday with Rumi," according to the website of Madame ZuZu's Tea Shop and Art Studio, which he owns.

The free show starts at 1 p.m. on Sunday at the Highland Park teahouse and promises "4 sonic impressions" on the poetry of the Sufi mystic Rumi, according to the website.

Earlier this month, Corgan performed an eight-hour musical interpretation of Herman Hesse's "Siddhartha."

That performance, which consisted of Corgan's interweaving sounds from a synthesizer with a recorded narration of the novel, piqued interest from both fans and critics.

It's not yet clear if Corgan's performance of Rumi will be in the same vein.

An employee of Madame ZuZu's said she didn't know how the show would be performed. The teahouse website lists a duration of two hours for the show.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3240312.story

Old 03-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #3
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

"Airplane mode means nothing to us."

http://www.trbimg.com/img-52522a3c/t...2-20130926/960

Old 03-28-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
DeusExMachina
Pledge

He needs to be stopped.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMachina View Post
He needs to be stopped.
I've never cared much for Hesse but I've always had a soft spot for Rumi. I can't bear to listen to him butcher this.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #6
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

http://culturecatch.com/files/images...-white-hat.jpg

Old 03-28-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
DeusExMachina
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
I've never cared much for Hesse but I've always had a soft spot for Rumi. I can't bear to listen to him butcher this.
I like Siddartha quite a bit but I'm neither here nor there in terms of whether or not he is "butchering" these works I just think the music has taken a huge dip in quality since he became a hippie post-Zeitgeist.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #8
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

That's exactly why I don't want him to touch that, because his judgment for what sounds good has taken a D-I-V-E (as Billy would say). That Siddhartha "performance" was an abomination.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:02 PM   #9
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I'd hit that

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingeroGuitaro View Post

Old 03-28-2014, 10:29 PM   #10
Starla

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
But monty says it's FOUR hours long!
Hmm. Well it says "four sonic impressions". Perhaps it is this?

Old 03-28-2014, 11:34 PM   #11
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:08 AM   #12
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMachina View Post
He needs to be stopped.
Without something like this going on, a small teahouse in a suburb would see 3 customers on a Sunday at noon.
It's not as if he's doing it as a show at the Metro and selling tickets for it.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:20 AM   #13
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

yeah i'm honestly glad for him, hopefully he's enjoying himself

Old 03-29-2014, 12:27 AM   #14
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Funny. This just appeared in the Tribune after Billy announced his next reading.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...513,full.story

Old 03-29-2014, 12:37 AM   #15
TuralyonW3
Immortal

I bet Zuzu's will be pretty...Rumi during the performance

Old 03-29-2014, 12:39 AM   #16
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
"people who've reached a stage in life where intellectual pretense is no longer necessary and a rerun of 'Law & Order: SVU' can be artistically preferable to eight hours of interpretive synthesizer gurgling."
sounds like 99% of anybody anywhere

Old 03-29-2014, 12:53 AM   #17
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Yes, but did you know that "Rock stars have drawn inspiration from literature for decades"? The writer was also kind enough to provide a list.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:50 AM   #18
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

That's the point... That what corgan is doing is not that outrageous. They were acting like he was wearing a meat dress.

Also if airplane mode is yoko, shouldn't you fuck faces be happy since she broke up the stupid band?

Old 03-29-2014, 07:55 AM   #19
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

yoko is awesome, you yoko haters can just stop right now thank you very much

Old 03-29-2014, 07:55 AM   #20
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

we need somebody with a human touch

Old 03-29-2014, 09:05 AM   #21
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
That's the point... That what corgan is doing is not that outrageous. They were acting like he was wearing a meat dress.
It's a pompous drivel piece with inane comparisons. It doesn't read like the writer even saw the performance and all he did was cherry pick quotes from the reviews. They didn't like it because it wasn't good not because it was outrageous or that they were expecting "normal music" (whatever the fuck that is), and asking critics to stop being critics is never going to happen. Critics are part of the audience, and part of their purpose is determine whether the artist successfully communicated their work. It's not like Corgan was in the throes of creating a high art performance piece; it looked and sounded like something he put very little thought and effort into and they pounced on that. Yes, the reviews could have been less "mean-spirited," but I suspect that's just a result of sitting there for 8 hours listening to that mess. There's a few other absurd claims and accusations in that article but it's not even worth decimating.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:32 AM   #22
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

He is criticizing those who criticized the event before it happened. He thinks people should be more open minded and not shut down weird shit in chicago or drive artists out of the city. He goes on to say it wasn't even that weird.

Honestly, Billy didn't put on some big ass event at the metro. He fiddled on a synth machine in his little teashop outside of chicago and people went bat shit insane. Although it wasn't very good nor thought out, they blasted him prior and then filled up the 30 person room with reporters amd were hoping to shit on him live on twitter.

Just let corgan have his shitty synth fun.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #23
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
He is criticizing those who criticized the event before it happened. He thinks people should be more open minded and not shut down weird shit in chicago or drive artists out of the city. He goes on to say it wasn't even that weird.

Honestly, Billy didn't put on some big ass event at the metro. He fiddled on a synth machine in his little teashop outside of chicago and people went bat shit insane. Although it wasn't very good nor thought out, they blasted him prior and then filled up the 30 person room with reporters amd were hoping to shit on him live on twitter.

Just let corgan have his shitty synth fun.
I don't think anyone was really "criticizing" him before the event started. There may have been the odd wise crack here and there in different articles before the fact but that's not really a reason to have a tantrum and start throwing people out of your establishment.

Who went batshit insane about the event? there was like TWO reviews that surfaced and they were all pretty fair and accurate to be honest.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:49 AM   #24
fuzzyroes
Banned

Corgan can have all the fun he wants. That doesn't mean it's going to stop people from sharing their perspective about his art.

What puzzles me is why fans like you get so upset about other peoples opinion? People like you and Monte will rage against other SP fans who don't happen to enjoy some of Billys current material. I don't understand the angle.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #25
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I don't think anyone was really "criticizing" him before the event started. There may have been the odd wise crack here and there in different articles before the fact but that's not really a reason to have a tantrum and start throwing people out of your establishment.

Who went batshit insane about the event? there was like TWO reviews that surfaced and they were all pretty fair and accurate to be honest.
Are you that fucking stupid? Read the fucking article you piece of shit.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #26
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

Are you that fucking stupid? Read the fucking article you piece of shit.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:56 AM   #27
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Corgan can have all the fun he wants. That doesn't mean it's going to stop people from sharing their perspective about his art.

What puzzles me is why fans like you get so upset about other peoples opinion? People like you and Monte will rage against other SP fans who don't happen to enjoy some of Billys current material. I don't understand the angle.
Please show me where I get so upset about people's opinions.

I will show you where you get so upset about people's opinions, like if anyone like's oceania. You rage if anybody likes what you don't.

Quit making this always about me fuzzy. Stop being a stupid hypocrite as well.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #28
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

This guy doesn't even know what he is commenting on. Then complains others are like monte if the opinion is not where he stands. Fuck, Monte is smarter than you fuzzy. I would much rather be like monte. At least monte isn't jealous of Mike Byrne.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:05 AM   #29
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Please show me where I get so upset about people's opinions.
You're flapping your gums, blathering on angrily about how plenty of people didn't enjoy Billy's 8 hour wank session set to an E-recording of Sidhartha. It's as if you're taking it personally and cant understand why people may crack a joke about it after sitting there, listening to it for 8 hours.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:06 AM   #30
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
This guy doesn't even know what he is commenting on. Then complains others are like monte if the opinion is not where he stands. Fuck, Monte is smarter than you fuzzy. I would much rather be like monte. At least monte isn't jealous of Mike Byrne.
What are you flapping your gums about now? You're creating a narrative out of thin air again.