Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2002, 06:44 AM   #1
azvd
Ownz

Question Newbie question: Sharp MD MT-877 owners

Hey guys,

Is it possible to adjust levels on-fly with the MT-877 unit?

Also, what's the recommended way to configure the unit: stereo, LP2 or LP4? Choosing a compressed mode (LP2, LP4) wouldn't affect the sound quality of the recording?

Thanks,
- AZVD.

------------------
Should you feel the need to throw the first stone through my window

Old 08-29-2002, 08:12 AM   #2
garysbootlegs
Oblivious Virgin

Hi,

You can adjust recording levels on the fly, its an excellent recorder. I usually use LP2 for recording concerts as it means i dont have to worry about a disc change. I also use LP4 for general listening purposes of stuff that ive copied from cd. The quality is fine to listen to while you are out etc. I tend not to listen to md's in the house so i havnt really bothered much wit the stereo setting apart from for taping shows i know wont be longer than 80minutes.

Last edited by garysbootlegs : 08-07-2015 at 07:04 PM.

Old 08-29-2002, 08:54 AM   #3
azvd
Ownz

Quote:
Originally posted by garysbootlegs:
You can adjust recording levels on the fly, its an excellent recorder.
Thanks, Gary. I'm barely starting to read manuals and exchanging some ideas before I actually put it in action.

I was worried with the on-fly issue because I read the following in the MD-MT877 manual:
Quote:
"Recording" section/notes (pg. 21):
You cannot adjust the bass level while recording

In the manual it says you gotta press the REC button, set levels with the << and >> buttons to finally press PAUSE and start the recording operation.

But you just wrote that it can be done "on-fly", whithout having to press PAUSE during a recording to adjust levels... would the manual be wrong? How do you manage to change the levels then?

Quote:
Originally posted by garysbootlegs:
I tend not to listen to md's in the house so i havnt really bothered much wit the stereo setting apart from for taping shows i know wont be longer than 80minutes.
I always thought that the compression option interfered in the sound quality of your recording. When you compare the sound of a stereo MD to a LP4 MD, do you notice any difference between them? Wouldn't be a good idea to take 2 or 3 discs to a concert and exchange them when you have a long crowd period or an encore?

Well, any tips are welcome.

Thanks again,
-AZVD.

------------------

Old 08-29-2002, 10:25 AM   #4
StillBecomingApart
I'M FROM ITALY

Location: Back the tape up. I need it again! Let it roll! Just as high as the fucker can go! And when it comes to that fantastic note where the rabbit bites its own head off, I want you to THROW THAT FUCKING RADIO INTO THE TUB WITH ME!
Recording levels are NOT bass levels. Bass levels are used only on playback.

ABout LP modes... I use only "standard" mode. I never tried LP modes for recording. But when Itape from soundboard, the show lasts for more than 70 minutes and the band don't use stereo effects, I use "mono" mode.

------------------
http://www.iofthemourning.com/eswan_vs.jpg And yes, I love swans.
They're so pure. http://www.iofthemourning.com/eswan_vs.jpg

New Netphoria Photo Album

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-29-2002, 11:01 AM   #5
azvd
Ownz

Quote:
Originally posted by StillBecomingApart:
Recording levels are NOT bass levels. Bass levels are used only on playback.
Well, that explains a lot. I suppose that if I want to adjust levels on-fly I must use the << and >> buttons when the unit is recording, right?

Thanks a lot...
-AZVD.

------------------

Old 08-29-2002, 05:44 PM   #6
Chow
Oblivious Virgin

Yep use the << and >> buttons to adjust levels while recording on the fly. I hear a significant drop in quality between LP4 and stereo, but not so much between LP2 and stereo. I recommend recording in stereo mode to get the best recording as possible.

Old 08-30-2002, 07:01 AM   #7
garysbootlegs
Oblivious Virgin

You can tell the difference between stereo and lp4. But with stereo and lp2 you can hardly hear any difference. As someone said above that is just the bass playback settings that cant be changed. The only down side to the recorder is that it doesnt have a backlit display on the actual unit.

Last edited by garysbootlegs : 08-07-2015 at 07:04 PM.