Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2014, 09:07 PM   #61
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post

Quote:
panopticon, architectural form for a prison, the drawings for which were published by Jeremy Bentham in 1791.
It consisted of a circular, glass-roofed, tanklike structure with cells along the external wall facing toward a central rotunda; guards stationed in the rotunda could keep all the inmates in the surrounding cells under constant surveillance. Although Bentham’s novel idea was not fully adopted in the plans for penal institutions built at that time, its radial plan was immediately influential, and its design clearly had an impact on later construction. For example, the Stateville Correctional Center, a prison near Joliet, Ill., U.S., incorporates essential features of the panopticon.

http://prisonphotography.files.wordp...s-goldberg.jpg

Old 03-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #62
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Billy probably named it after Foucault's interpretation of the Panopticon as it deals with society. He's an interesting read, but every undergrad I knew fucking loved Foucault and if Billy's going through his art school phase then the fascination fits, along with his political views and fear of surveillance and the government.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:23 PM   #63
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley Moore View Post
Prove it Mr. Butt.
"Our host dispenses quickly with the thank-yous and we get right to the important part: There are still ten minutes to purchase raffle tickets. Also, one of the tees has gone unpurchased. A teen voices his interest, but is quickly rebuked. It's sixty-five dollars. Welcome to the real world, kid."

lol selling 10 dollar raffle tickets instead of just giving the damn thing away to somebody who already spent 8 bucks on tea and just listened to half-assed synth music for 8 hours

Old 03-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #64
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneae View Post
Billy probably named it after Foucault's interpretation of the Panopticon as it deals with society. He's an interesting read, but every undergrad I knew fucking loved Foucault and if Billy's going through his art school phase then the fascination fits, along with his political views and fear of surveillance and the government.
I don't think he would get through reading Foucault. His background isn't college fascination, but infowars. Nontheless pretty funny to name a digital hub/webpage thingy panopticon.

Maybe they could make a page banner - DISCIPLINE AND PUNISH - would be fitting for the design and the fan relationship.

Last edited by pavementtune : 03-25-2014 at 09:39 PM.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:45 PM   #65
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

You don't think Billy has read Foucault? His work is pretty standard in most universities and I would think it's one of those reads Billy would read just to make himself appear smarter.

I much prefer Madness and Civilization. Billy would probably like that one.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:46 PM   #66
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Papyrus font lol

Old 03-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #67
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
For example, the Stateville Correctional Center, a prison near Joliet, Ill., U.S., incorporates essential features of the panopticon.
It's a sign. Jimmy's coming back.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:51 PM   #68
pavementtune

Quote:
You don't think Billy has read Foucault? His work is pretty standard in most universities and I would think it's one of those reads Billy would read just to make himself appear smarter.
My point only being that he never went to uni. He doesn't surround himself with many people who did. It's not hard to look smarter sitting next to Alex Jones. Or at rpro, or surprise a bunch of non-readers with Hesse. He doesn't actually have to read (and understand) Bentham or Foucault to make himself look smart amongst these people.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:51 PM   #69
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
Papyrus font lol
Funny, just earlier today I was talking to a designer about a project and she kept going on about how awful the Papyrus font is. It sounded like it's a quite a universally hated font for most professional designers and should only be used under very specific circumstances.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:53 PM   #70
Shallowed
Braindead

I used to use Papyrus font on MSN Messenger

Old 03-25-2014, 09:54 PM   #71
Araneae
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
My point only being that he never went to uni. He doesn't surround himself with many people who did. It's not hard to look smarter sitting next to Alex Jones. Or at rpro, or surprise a bunch of non-readers with Hesse. He doesn't actually have to read (and understand) Bentham or Foucault to make himself look smart amongst these people.
He prides himself on being an intellectual so I just assumed he would have read the standards, but you're absolutely right.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:56 PM   #72
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Funny, just earlier today I was talking to a designer about a project and she kept going on about how awful the Papyrus font is. It sounded like it's a quite a universally hated font for most professional designers and should only be used under very specific circumstances.

The issue is Monte is not a designer so he thinks it looks awesome.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #73
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

papyrus condensed at that

Old 03-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #74
Xteenmachine
Ownz

i have a feeling jeff was an influence.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #75
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
I don't think he would get through reading Foucault. His background isn't college fascination, but infowars. Nontheless pretty funny to name a digital hub/webpage thingy panopticon.
infowars likes to cherry pick famous philosophers for justification for their bullshit, so i wouldn't be surprised that "discipline and punish" is a popular source material for alex jones to pretend he's intelligent when he criticizes the police state

Old 03-25-2014, 11:23 PM   #76
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

i can't help but wonder how much these announcements are motivated by a need to publicly commit to doing something in order to muster up the motivation to see it through.

(if you're not intrinsically motivated to do something, but you feel a need to do things anyway, you need extrinsic sources of motivation, e.g., loss of social status if you bail. it's a bit like someone announcing on facebook that they're going on a diet)

Last edited by Lucky Day Spa : 03-25-2014 at 11:52 PM. Reason: EXTRANEOUS 'OF'

Old 03-25-2014, 11:24 PM   #77
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

idle speculation, obviously. i have no way to know. tempted to compare it to '90s bill but he didn't have the internet to lean on then

Old 03-25-2014, 11:30 PM   #78
GLOWer
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Day Spa View Post
i can't help but wonder how much of these announcements are motivated by a need to publicly commit to doing something in order to muster up the motivation to see it through.

(if you're not intrinsically motivated to do something, but you feel a need to do things anyway, you need extrinsic sources of motivation, e.g., loss of social status if you bail. it's a bit like someone announcing on facebook that they're going on a diet)
i think that's perceptive, but it certainly didn't hold true for TGBK (for better or worse).

Old 03-25-2014, 11:36 PM   #79
pavementtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Day Spa View Post
i can't help but wonder how much of these announcements are motivated by a need to publicly commit to doing something in order to muster up the motivation to see it through.
Certainly looks that way

Quote:
Billy Corgan (@Billy)
And here's a bit of information about our 1st days work (includes a pic of a song list) http://www.smashingpumpkinsnexus.com...Sifting-x-132/
(https://twitter.com/Billy/status/448660534800678912)

Old 03-25-2014, 11:48 PM   #80
Ramdust
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Of course.

All I want to know is if we'll see Zwan reissued in 2015.
Adore, Machina, Machina 2 have yet to be released. I'd say we won't see Zwan reissued for a while.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:59 PM   #81
Trotskilicious
Banned

if ever

Old 03-26-2014, 12:00 AM   #82
Trotskilicious
Banned

i dunno why you guys expect an adore reissue, why would an unpopular album from its day be reissued for today's market? just doesn't make sense.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:12 AM   #83
null123
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis The Fat Years View Post
For those interested in sound, think: ‘guitars, guitars, guitars, and more guitars;’
each member play guitar

Old 03-26-2014, 12:18 AM   #84
slunken
Virgo

Hot As Sinn

Old 03-26-2014, 12:19 AM   #85
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Adore went platinum. It was just not nearly as popular as Mellon Collie or Siamese Dream.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:38 AM   #86
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

machina isn't going to be rereleased unless they somehow get popular again and that's not going to happen.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:59 AM   #87
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
i dunno why you guys expect an adore reissue, why would an unpopular album from its day be reissued for today's market? just doesn't make sense.
you're a record company exec and some '90s has-been comes to you wanting to get on the re-release gravy train. this guy had two big sellers and a few other decent but less-stellar performers. predictably, he wants to re-release all of them.

do you a) turn him down, or b) run the numbers and see if you can make a solid ROI by releasing them all while only throwing marketing capital at the hits?

Old 03-26-2014, 01:18 AM   #88
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
Man...that http://www.smashingpumpkinsnexus.com/ website looks so cheap...
This thought keeps coming back to me - even moreso than the promise of two new albums, frankly. Why would he just totally scrap the previously somewhat aesthetically pleasing and comprehensive site at smashingpumpkins.com and force a redirect to that turd sandwich?

I mean, c'mon:

-Papyrus, as discussed rightfully ad nauseum
-Weirdly small weird photo
-Links on the side - do we really need one link to Zuzu's, yet alone TWO?
-Resistance Pro... really?

Really, really doubt that he'll be able to do this whole panopticon thing, which seems to be the premise of the whole site: daily updates of minutia. Prove me wrong, BC... but, yeah.

He has to at least be somewhat aware of speculation around the fact that there has been a lineup change, yeah? A mere note of who's playing with him would be great. Oh, and a mere "sorry for the delay, BMG couldn't get their notary together yesterday" or whatever would have at least been courteous.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:36 AM   #89
TuralyonW3
Immortal

has so much time passed since the mid 90s that papyrus has become cool again?

no, no it has not

Old 03-26-2014, 01:36 AM   #90
TuralyonW3
Immortal

my high school band use papyrus on our album cover in 2001