Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2005, 12:06 AM   #1
danondorf
Ownz

Talking Billy in new Spin mag: Funny Billy.

Billy regarding SP :"In Smashing Pumpkins, I was Michael Jordan, I could take the hoop whenever I wanted"

"I literally created the biggest band in the world!"

I put down the magazine after I read those two lines.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:09 AM   #2
Dead
Deaddy is your daddy!

Arrow

We had a thread already on this article.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:13 AM   #3
danondorf
Ownz

Oh. Just got home though. Oh well.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:16 AM   #4
cheap ass bitch
Oblivious Virgin

billy corgan is a narcissistic prick. there are a lot bigger bands than that of the smashing pumpkins were.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:16 AM   #5
oceansapmpkn
Pledge

Arrow

here is the billy we viewed in the magazine after those two lines
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ego1superego.jpg (96.2 KB, 166 views)

Old 07-27-2005, 12:32 AM   #6
'|' jIMMY '|'
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by oceansapmpkn
here is the billy we viewed in the magazine after those two lines
Michael Jordan and Billy Corgan? wow! a perfect couple...

Old 07-27-2005, 12:56 AM   #7
Cherub Angel
Apocalyptic Poster

typical Billy. I'm not surprised by quotes like this anymore......he does his thing, that's all I care about.

Old 07-27-2005, 01:52 AM   #8
'|' jIMMY '|'
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by ciGarki
yeah. thats what im sayin
Right on boy!

Old 07-27-2005, 07:51 AM   #9
tomthum81
Ownz

Quote:
Originally posted by cheap ass bitch
billy corgan is a narcissistic prick. there are a lot bigger bands than that of the smashing pumpkins were.
not in the 90's

Old 07-27-2005, 08:14 AM   #10
Phoenix Down
Apocalyptic Poster

he talks about nirvana a lot, but he never mentions pearl jam, does he? I mean they were sorta big too

Old 07-27-2005, 08:28 AM   #11
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

smashing pumpkins probably were the biggest in mid 90's.

how he managed to take the biggest band and completely and utterly fuck it up is beyond me

Old 07-27-2005, 08:40 AM   #12
Fat Cop
Pledge

Quote:
Originally posted by wounded
smashing pumpkins probably were the biggest in mid 90's.

how he managed to take the biggest band and completely and utterly fuck it up is beyond me
Yeah, probably biggest for a year at least...

I don't think he fucked it up as much as the changing public music tastes/ expectations.

But I also think he doesn't help the cause being the way he is nowadays. From interviews and what I've read, i've pretty much lost excitement on the new SP reformation...

Wish he would quit the bullshit in terms of the often contradicting and nasty things he says. But then again this is coming via media sourced interviews, and they can skew what he is really saying and meaning.

Old 07-27-2005, 08:58 AM   #13
vbshlofbvgos
Apocalyptic Poster

With every word out of his mouth he just keeps turning more and more people on to his music

Old 07-27-2005, 09:14 AM   #14
tomthum81
Ownz

Quote:
Originally posted by wounded

when did this happen?

the fact that adore even happened is what threw people off of his music... but im ecstatic that the album was made and don't consider that "fucking it up" in the least.

Old 07-27-2005, 10:16 AM   #15
cheap ass bitch
Oblivious Virgin

if you ask anyone if they know who billy corgan or the smashing pumpkins were they will maybe recollect that "one song" today or bullet. if you ask people about other bands such as nirvana, red hot chilli peppers, alice in chains, or pearl jam they will remember more about those bands. most people i talk to if i mention tsp they ask what songs they did. then i tell them and there like um oh yeah i think i remember that song.

Old 07-27-2005, 10:27 AM   #16
Quiet
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah, I don't think many people consider the Pumpkins to be THE definitive band of the 90's. For a year or two, they were "The It Band" of the moment. Prior to Mellon Collie, most people were just discovering who they were. After Mellon Collie, they pretty much dropped off the map. So I guess you could say they pretty much owned the rock world for the duration of Mellon Collie... but in the scope of the 90's, that's not very long. I imagine most people would consider Nirvana, RHCP, Pearl Jam, or possibly even Stone Temple Pilots to be THE rock band of the 90's ahead of the Pumpkins.

Old 07-27-2005, 10:29 AM   #17
Quiet
Apocalyptic Poster

I know, Nirvana weren't around for most of the 90's... but more people would think of them than the Pumpkins if asked about 90's rock bands.

Old 07-27-2005, 10:45 AM   #18
tomthum81
Ownz

Quote:
Yeah, I don't think many people consider the Pumpkins to be THE definitive band of the 90's.
that's changing with time... more and more people are starting to say that the pumpkins were the best... and that nirvana and pearl jam are just insignificant. uninfluential for today's music. i guarantee you the pink floyd weren't always garnered as such a great band, but over time... as music caught up with them... people started to recognize.

Old 07-27-2005, 11:48 AM   #19
spank_thru101
Ownz

Quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix Down
he talks about nirvana a lot, but he never mentions pearl jam, does he? I mean they were sorta big too
Pearl Jam have actually sold more records than the pumpkins they also have the second highest first week sales of a rock album (Limp Bizkit beat them with The hot dog flavored water....it sold a million its first week in the US.....what the fuck was the public thinking.....). Though the pumpkins are clearly more creative and had more consistant sales then pearl jam, I also would like to think that they are a more relevant band.

Old 07-27-2005, 11:53 AM   #20
COG
Apocalyptic Poster

Well, when you want to start looking at things like opening sales, Machina I believe had the highest sales first week of any pumpkins album.

Oh, and by the way, I think any pumpkins fan knows that Billy has an ego and some other problems, but I think he's a cool guy, he means well I'm sure. He's just crazy, don't hold that against him.

Old 07-27-2005, 11:57 AM   #21
jczeroman

Sorry kids, but it's true and the best music was made when Billy took over.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:50 PM   #22
COG
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by *************

he might be confused sometimes as to what to say. but he's not CRAZY. real CRAZY people don't go on tour. real crazy people cannot utter a coherent sentence. real crazy people can't rip it up on the guitar. confused sometimes? maybe. crazy? nope. nice guy? definately. aware of his success? of course.

you shouldn't hold certain statements against him. if more people were honest like him, the world would spin a lot easier. you know, that whole concept of SAYING WHAT YOU FEEL and not some bullshit answer. he's not particularly humble, but who cares? he's not one of your friends or family members. he's a freakin' rockstar, and a good one at that. but i guess if you're bored enough, you could GO OUT OF YOUR WAY to tell us all you think he's lame and that since he has an ego you won't read the article based on a couple lines. that article is actually a really good read. he's a genius...and you would know it if you read the article. he's probably a little TOO smart for his britches.
What the hell dude? I read the article, and I thought it was a good article too. You need to chill, and not read into what I said so much. I think Billy is probably a pretty normal guy, and I also think that everyone is crazy to some extent. Yes, he is normal, normal people don't say things and worry about how they can be misquoted and misconstrued, so yeah, he is normal, he says what he thinks, and he should be aloud to change his mind, how would anyone feel if they had something they said today compared with something they said 10 years ago, I think that may make us all seem like liars.

Old 07-27-2005, 01:00 PM   #23
mourninglight
Ownz

i liked the quote where Billy said that he and Jimmy speak some weird monkey language...
but that wasn't in spin..
billy is a funny man... just look at those glasses in the first pic

btw, billy could be a functioning crazy... i've seen a few of 'em in real life.
not that i think he IS.. just sayin

Old 07-27-2005, 01:11 PM   #24
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally posted by Cherub Angel
typical Billy. I'm not surprised by quotes like this anymore......he does his thing, that's all I care about.
I agree!

An artist should be judged by his work, not by his personality or quotes.

Mozart was a drunk and a womanizer.
Beethoven was a prick hated by his friends and family.
Lennon was, well you know....

Old 07-27-2005, 01:46 PM   #25
Quiet
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by tomthum81

that's changing with time... more and more people are starting to say that the pumpkins were the best... and that nirvana and pearl jam are just insignificant.
Eh... I'd have to disagree with that. I think it's mostly Pumpkins fans that are saying that. There hasn't exactly been a Pumpkins renaissance or anything. One of my biggest hopes about the possible reunion (aside from seeing them live) is that it will make kids go out and pick up their older stuff. I know a TON of teenagers who own "Nevermind" and think that's what the 90s was all about, but I don't know a single one who owns "Siamese Dream". If nothing else, a reunion might help to fix this problem.

Old 07-27-2005, 02:08 PM   #26
tomthum81
Ownz

Quote:
Originally posted by Quiet

Eh... I'd have to disagree with that. I think it's mostly Pumpkins fans that are saying that. There hasn't exactly been a Pumpkins renaissance or anything. One of my biggest hopes about the possible reunion (aside from seeing them live) is that it will make kids go out and pick up their older stuff. I know a TON of teenagers who own "Nevermind" and think that's what the 90s was all about, but I don't know a single one who owns "Siamese Dream". If nothing else, a reunion might help to fix this problem.
hmm... we live in different worlds i guess...

even on other music message boards, lately i've noticed how much more the pumpkins are being thrown out as a candidate for the best american band.

Old 07-27-2005, 02:19 PM   #27
mourninglight
Ownz

Quote:
Originally posted by tomthum81

hmm... we live in different worlds i guess...
i know i don't travel in that one... wish i did
KROQ (LA) had their typical "greatest bands of all time" countdown on July 4th and the #1 band was [i]green day[/]
Nirvana was #3 (behind Depeche Mode)... Pearl Jam, RHCP, NIN, STP - all fell somewhere past 10.. The Pumpkins were #17 (i think.. maybe a few spots off).
I just don't see people recognizing how significant and influential they are for a long time... SPIN put Siames Dream at like 41 on their list of 100 best albums in the last 20 years... nuff said

i notice more and more that when i read stuff about the pumpkins of days gone by, more attention is given to certain antics of band member themselves as opposed to what quality music they produced. its DISGUSTING.

Old 07-27-2005, 02:48 PM   #28
tomthum81
Ownz

Quote:
Originally posted by mourninglight
SPIN put Siames Dream at like 41 on their list of 100 best albums in the last 20 years... nuff said
true, but 5 years ago, it wouldnt have even been on the list.

Old 07-27-2005, 03:04 PM   #29
COG
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by *************

well, only that first part of my post was to you. all the rest about not reading the article was to the ORIGINAL poster, the starter of this thread. just letting you know i wasn't railing on you.
Oh, alright then, I was just wondering why you singled me out when I didn't even say anything about not reading the article. It's cool

Old 07-27-2005, 03:14 PM   #30
RumoredToTheS&N
Ownz

Red face

i don't know about radio stations in other parts of the world, but i still hear the pumpkins at least once a week on the rock stations here. i hear nirvana about once a month. same for the chili peppers. i haven't heard pearl jam on the radio in over a year.

i think that says more about their importance than some kroq list that puts depeche mode at #2.

oh, and i haven't heard depeche mode on the radio in at LEAST 2-3 years....