Old 08-20-2018, 10:29 PM   #34
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

go on

Old 08-20-2018, 10:49 PM   #35
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Blue Skies Bring Tears (FAEOMM Version)

This is the track that made me care about the song, probably one of the best studio versions of the era, of any of the tracks, as well

Quiet (Live 1993)

Basically any live rendition from this period, the intensity and jagged simplicity of the live version give it this sort of manic cut-throat energy that's not quite as apparent on the studio vers

The Tale of Dusty & Pistol Pete (Kissed Alive Too Version)

I love the sound of the entire KAT disc, but this one in particular has always stuck out to me. You don't recognize what song it even is for about the first minute and a half, but when it comes in the payoff is immense

Tonite Reprise

Prob not my most popular choice, but this version highlights something about the song that is kind of lost in the larger-than-life album version. It moved me to tears as a teenager

Siamese Dream (Broadway Rehearsal Demo)

Hardly even recognizable to the b-side that actually surfaced out of this song, but man this one just blows it out of the fucking water

Pomp + Circumstance (Live 2007/08)

Way better than studio, every version I've heard. I guess the same could be said of BTO but it hasn't quite kicked its studio counter-parts ass in the way that live P+C has for me

Old 08-20-2018, 10:53 PM   #36
coolstorybro
Pledge

Heavy metal machine man.

Rock On > Heavy Metal Machine

Old 08-20-2018, 10:57 PM   #37
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Today (Earphoria/Vieuphoria) - This one isn’t all that different from the studio version but when the distortion kicks in during the intro, the lead that Bill is playing is much more audible and the effect he uses just makes it sound glorious.

Doomsday Clock (live) - If you heard this one during the Zeitgeist tour, there is a 100% chance that Billy’s vocals sounded better than they did on the studio version, because that might be the worst his vocals have ever sounded. Also, the bridge part sounded much better live, with heavy palm muting and no stupid Optimus Prime voice changer bullshit.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:08 AM   #38
bright_doom
Ownz

Saturnine (Piano + Vox) version > Machina 2 version.
Blissed and Gone (drone version) > normal version.
Cherry 2012 remix > original.
And of course this goes without saying
Death From Above (If All Goes Wrong piano + vox live) > Studio version.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:24 AM   #39
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Seems like this one is actually live early 1996.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #40
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Saturnine (Judas O) - M2 version sounds like Billy recorded it next to the world's loudest air conditioner. I know some people like rough recordings, but given that I used to work in audio production, I have an appreciation for good production quality.

Atom Bomb (Judas O) - M2 version is okay but this one is so much more aggressive and the solos are great.

Silverfuck (Earphoria) - I love the "Over the Rainbow" interlude and the Jackboot outro. So kickass.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #41
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post

Seems like this one is actually live early 1996.
Also, the tease of Rocket after Porcelina in 1997 is rad. Super heavy.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:45 AM   #42
SPfan79
Pledge

This version is amazing!!

Old 08-21-2018, 11:53 AM   #43
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

You're welcome

Old 08-22-2018, 08:42 AM   #44
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

There is a live version of Tear I’ve heard that is flat out amazing. It’s not all that different from the Adore version, although I think there may be an extended piano solo in the middle. And the guitar parts are heavier (more distorted). Anyone know what version I mean?

Old 08-22-2018, 09:21 AM   #45
glass85
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
There is a live version of Tear I’ve heard that is flat out amazing. It’s not all that different from the Adore version, although I think there may be an extended piano solo in the middle. And the guitar parts are heavier (more distorted). Anyone know what version I mean?
Maybe the one on the reissue DVD.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:26 AM   #46
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Ah, maybe yeah.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:25 PM   #47
Raventhird
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomaPhreak View Post
I prefer the alternate version of Speed Kills on the Stand Inside Your Love single to the Machina 2 version.
That's not alternate, that's the regular version that also appears on the Machina LP. The alternate (and way better) version is the heavy one on Machina II.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #48
FoolofaTook

RAVENTURD

Old 08-22-2018, 03:31 PM   #49
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

The notion of M2 Speed Kills being the "far better" one is a notion I don't understand in the slightest. Do y'all also think electric Disarm is better than the single? Or Zeitgeist better than Adore?

Old 08-22-2018, 04:04 PM   #50
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
I love this version so much. That lovely riff at the start of each verse, goddamn.

Is there a high-quality tape of this being performed? I could swear I've heard one recently, but it doesn't look like it's on the reissues, and I'm not much of a concert collector.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:21 PM   #51
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
The notion of M2 Speed Kills being the "far better" one is a notion I don't understand in the slightest. Do y'all also think electric Disarm is better than the single? Or Zeitgeist better than Adore?
i actually do think electric disarm is superior. don't mention shitegeist. i considered anything post final metro show uncanonical.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:26 PM   #52
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
Saturnine (Judas O) - M2 version sounds like Billy recorded it next to the world's loudest air conditioner. I know some people like rough recordings, but given that I used to work in audio production, I have an appreciation for good production quality.

Atom Bomb (Judas O) - M2 version is okay but this one is so much more aggressive and the solos are great.
100%

I like the expansive sloshy waves of distortion of MII Saturnine, but the Judas 0 version is amazing. And the dirty, ugly, rock version of Atom Bomb just slays

Quote:
I like the SIYL version, but the slow power and aggressiveness of the guitar and drums on the MII version make it one of my favorite Pumpkins songs. It just sounds like a behemoth. I love the lead riff, and the way it comes back at the end with the pinch harmonics is so over the top. I heard MII version first, and although I like the atmosphere of the other one, it could just never live up to the impact of the MII version.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:28 PM   #53
FoolofaTook

yeah the feedback on speedkillsHEAVY makes my chorticles chuckle

atom bomb without solos is booooring

Old 08-25-2018, 01:56 PM   #54
Xenochria
Amish Rake Fighter

Speaking of which, does anyone know what the deal is with Thru the Eyes of Ruby (Pit Mix 3)?

Old 08-25-2018, 01:58 PM   #55
Xenochria
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Yes to all three.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:01 PM   #56
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
100%

I like the expansive sloshy waves of distortion of MII Saturnine, but the Judas 0 version is amazing. And the dirty, ugly, rock version of Atom Bomb just slays

I like the SIYL version, but the slow power and aggressiveness of the guitar and drums on the MII version make it one of my favorite Pumpkins songs. It just sounds like a behemoth. I love the lead riff, and the way it comes back at the end with the pinch harmonics is so over the top. I heard MII version first, and although I like the atmosphere of the other one, it could just never live up to the impact of the MII version.
Yeah I’d agree with all of that. So weird that Speed Kills (either version) is considered a b-side when it’s easily better than most of the material on either Machina.

Old 08-26-2018, 12:33 AM   #57
Slygmous
Ikari Rake Warrior

Early Machina version of To Sheila (with the drum intro) is great, probably a better arrangement than the album version.

Beautiful from the initial Melon Collie tour was also fantastic, but the second half loses its impact.

Any version of Crying Tree without the terrible synth is better, though they never have that dirty guitar solo.

There is no perfect version of Speed Kills, it's the best Machina-era song that never seems to reach its potential in any variation. All versions are equal.

98 live Tear is better than any other version, same with Blank Page. These are dragged down a little by the piano interludes though, which was a common issue with that tour.
Actually that could be a case for most Adore songs, as they really grew into something else when rearranged for a live setting.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:11 AM   #58
FoolofaTook

can't believe no one mentioned full band stumbeline

Old 08-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #59
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slygmous View Post
Early Machina version of To Sheila (with the drum intro) is great, probably a better arrangement than the album version.

Beautiful from the initial Melon Collie tour was also fantastic, but the second half loses its impact.

Do you have an example of the machina To Sheila? Although I love the finished product, Beautiful seems like a song that went through a lot iterations before they settled on the album version, the loop version on the reissue is great.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:04 PM   #60
glass85
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxequalsrad View Post
Do you have an example of the machina To Sheila? Although I love the finished product, Beautiful seems like a song that went through a lot iterations before they settled on the album version, the loop version on the reissue is great.
A good example of To Sheila in Machina era is the one played 24/01/2000.