Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #31
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

I've listened to a truncated version of Feedbacker

& you know where I listened to that?

front row at a Boris show

Old 04-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #32
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

you mean the same show wear you decided to buy new album instead of akuma no uta?

Old 04-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #33
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
ur dad is my mr. big

Old 04-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #34
FoolofaTook

but all foolfing aside, DON'T REMIND ME OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I GO SEE THEM IN TAMPA

fuck

Old 04-01-2020, 10:57 AM   #35
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
you mean the same show wear you decided to buy new album instead of akuma no uta?
uh

think again, "bucko"

Old 04-01-2020, 11:01 AM   #36
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

New Album kinda sux, btw

Old 04-01-2020, 11:03 AM   #37
FoolofaTook

well yeah cos you got the version that doesn't have luna

Old 04-01-2020, 11:04 AM   #38
FoolofaTook

but yeah it is one of their weakest, no doubt. purple heavy rocks is by far the best of the three they released at that time.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:12 PM   #39
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Okay, let's song by song this shit.

A Song for a Son- it's a competently crafted song with a good piano intro and awesome guitar solo, but it feels too derivative to truly be special. It's so beholden to its influences that it fails to transcend them. The vocals are bad, but the instrumentation is great, and overall, a pretty fine song that sets you up with false expectations for the rest of this godforsaken project.

Widow Wake My Mind- Probably the worst song Corgan's ever written.

Astral Planes- Instrumentation and guitar tone is good. I dig the psychedelic riff that sounds like a droney, less dense take on "Miserlou." But the vocals and lyrics are a big nothing. No substance there at all, and the song is too repetitive. I wonder if this song would have been better served in the context of a proper album. The same way "Where Boys Fear to Tread" gets away with a single sullen, bluesy riff as an introduction to MCIS's second disc, maybe "Astral Planes" would have worked as an om-like mantra palette-cleanser between more substantial songs, instead of having everybody wait three months for one riff.

A Stitch in Time- I actually like this one. It succeeds where "Widow" fails, being this strange little poppy Celtic Renaissance-fair-like tune that shows a stark departure from Corgan's body of work.

Teargarden Theme- I like it. The fact that there are no vocals helps, as those are Corgan's weakest point these days. Continues that Renaissance-bard feel from "Stitch."

Spangled- Sickly saccharine. Atrocious vocals. A clear indication that Corgan had been spending too much time with Jessica Simpson.

Cottonwood Symphony- It's okay. Sounds like he just wrote and recorded it off the cuff without any pretensions, and it's better than most of the other stuff for it.

Lightning Strikes- Boring and generic arena pop-rock song.

Owata- I was never impressed with this song in its original form, but this version is ten times worse. WHY ARE THE SYNTHS SO LOUD AND OVERPOWERING

Incidentally, by my count, Corgan only needs two more tracks to finish his Teargarden project. So, if he wants, the first two tracks of Shiny and Oh So Bright, Vol. 2 can be considered Teargarden tracks, and he'll have kept his promise.

Last edited by Disco King : 04-01-2020 at 01:18 PM.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:54 PM   #40
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

SFAS, Tom Tom, Stitch in Time were jams. Fellowship would be good minus those 8-bit Megaman synths

Astral Planes is like half a song. If there were no vocals you'd think it was maybe a pastichio clip or something, which is frustrating because what's there kinda rocks. It just goes nowhere.

I still maintain MTAE is the real nadir

Old 04-01-2020, 01:57 PM   #41
redbreegull

I did the revisit Teargarden thing last year or so. It's as bad as I remembered it being, but it didn't seem as long because I didn't have to endure it over 5 years

but yeah it actually sounds like an album made by someone losing their mind and having a midlife crisis

Old 04-01-2020, 03:02 PM   #42
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
I did the revisit Teargarden thing last year or so. It's as bad as I remembered it being, but it didn't seem as long because I didn't have to endure it over 5 years

but yeah it actually sounds like an album made by someone losing their mind and having a midlife crisis
Other than hearing "A Son for a Son" on Pandora a few weeks ago, I haven't listened to any of these tracks since, I wanna say 2011. But I'm sure the whole thing isn't quite as miserable when you wait a collective for 4 or 5 months for "Freak" and "Astral Planes."

Old 04-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #43
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

i remember feeling fairly depressed around the time Song for a Son came out, just feeling like "damn he really sounds like he wishes he had had a kid"

i'm actually quite happy for Corgo knowing he's actually got a couple now. what a world!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Team MAKINA

Quote:
Why are you here? Seriously if he sucks and his music sucks doesn't your fucking piece of shit ass have better things to do. Guess not, my god what a pussy.
Quote:
Joey Goldberg how COULD you

Old 04-01-2020, 04:10 PM   #44
FoolofaTook

actually he has three if you count airplane mode

Old 04-01-2020, 05:28 PM   #45
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

What about his son Jason?

Old 04-01-2020, 06:00 PM   #46
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
"I've never listened to anything after Machina 2"

*logs off and listens to a very worn copy of "The Solstice Bare" while clutching the obelisk*
Oh I listened to all (or almost all?) of it. But it was what, 10 years ago? I kind of remember the everyone everyone everyone yeahhh part of astral planes and freak was in a car commercial? Stitch in time started with “it’s just a stitch in time” and widow wake my mind had “shiiiine” in it a lot.

Extent of my memories. I don’t revisit this stuff because it is bad.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:02 PM   #47
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

I always feel uncomfortable listening to these songs. For sure my least favorite period. This was during the time that rolling stone article about Billy came out. Every one of his quotes from the piece was ridiculous and self destructive, and there was all that nonsense about hanging out with that cult in Los Angeles. I remember being genuinely worried about him

Old 04-01-2020, 07:08 PM   #48
FoolofaTook

super rich narcissist gets into druggie mystic bullshit

OMG NOOOO!!!!

Old 04-01-2020, 07:47 PM   #49
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Not sure how much money Billy really has, but he was definitely in a bad way then.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:10 PM   #50
Shallowed
Braindead

I preferred Siddhartha

Old 04-01-2020, 08:35 PM   #51
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDogGlynis View Post
I always feel uncomfortable listening to these songs. For sure my least favorite period. This was during the time that rolling stone article about Billy came out. Every one of his quotes from the piece was ridiculous and self destructive, and there was all that nonsense about hanging out with that cult in Los Angeles. I remember being genuinely worried about him
I think those hippies had a lasting impact on his worldview. It wasn't until then that he started with the conspiracy theories and down the rabbit hole of right-wing politics.

He never seemed especially political before, but his vague political opinions seemed pretty much within the mainstream. Didn't like Bush, Jr. Got a well-known center-left activist to do the cover art for his reunion album, which features a pretty clear allusion to climate change. I think SP was also part of the lineup for a festival meant to raise awareness of climate change around that time, IIRC. Nothing suggested he would be the sort to start palling around with Alex Jones until around 2009.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:37 PM   #52
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
Oh I listened to all (or almost all?) of it. But it was what, 10 years ago? I kind of remember the everyone everyone everyone yeahhh part of astral planes and freak was in a car commercial? Stitch in time started with “it’s just a stitch in time” and widow wake my mind had “shiiiine” in it a lot.

Extent of my memories. I don’t revisit this stuff because it is bad.
I haven't listened to the stuff in a long time myself, but most of those songs are in my memory now. Only one I can't really remember the melody of is "Lightning Strikes" (other than the part that goes "zen baby, lighting strikes/something something, but never twice), but I do remember that it sucks.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:46 PM   #53
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I think those hippies had a lasting impact on his worldview. It wasn't until then that he started with the conspiracy theories and down the rabbit hole of right-wing politics.

He never seemed especially political before, but his vague political opinions seemed pretty much within the mainstream. Didn't like Bush, Jr. Got a well-known center-left activist to do the cover art for his reunion album, which features a pretty clear allusion to climate change. I think SP was also part of the lineup for a festival meant to raise awareness of climate change around that time, IIRC. Nothing suggested he would be the sort to start palling around with Alex Jones until around 2009.
Billy says he voted for Clinton in 1992, slammed "Rush Limbaugh type thinking" (paraphrasing...I think this was from an interview he and D'Arcy did in 1996), and was happy when Obama won in 2008. He was pretty clearly liberal or maybe even a leftist for a while there. I stopped being liberal too, but I moved to the left instead of the right as I've realized Democratic politicians are generally pretty evil as well. He does follow Marianne Williamson on twitter, though, and she's pretty progressive, so who knows with him. He probably just likes her insane spiritual tweets I suppose.

Last edited by Squish Squash : 04-01-2020 at 08:51 PM.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:52 PM   #54
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I haven't listened to the stuff in a long time myself, but most of those songs are in my memory now. Only one I can't really remember the melody of is "Lightning Strikes" (other than the part that goes "zen baby, lighting strikes/something something, but never twice), but I do remember that it sucks.
I need to hear a song several times to have anything other than a passing recollection. And if I hate a song after three listens I’m not going to bother anymore.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:16 PM   #55
lavrentis
Oblivious Virgin

Why would he choose the Owata video to be what it is?

It should have had ketchup with Jesus

Old 04-02-2020, 02:21 PM   #56
lavrentis
Oblivious Virgin

Start of Fellowship has me like this

Old 04-03-2020, 09:00 AM   #57
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

I like Song For A Son, it was released the day my son was born and I can remember listening to it that night, exhausted but elated. The song was fitting.

Other than that, slim pickings. I like Astral Planes, the guitar is great and the whole vibe is nice and jammy.

Lightning Strikes, the Fellowship etc are alright, nothing that exciting.

I like Owata most of all probably, I feel that would've been a great album closer for Oceania.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:14 AM   #58
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

I like Song For A Son, it was released the day my son was born and I can remember listening to it that night, exhausted but elated. The song was fitting.

Other than that, slim pickings. I like Astral Planes, the guitar is great and the whole vibe is nice and jammy.

Lightning Strikes, the Fellowship etc are alright, nothing that exciting.

I like Owata most of all probably, I feel that would've been a great album closer for Oceania.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:07 PM   #59
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
just feel those drums!! #MonteLDS #MonteITS

Wow. That... is one of the worst Pumpkins live performances I’ve ever watched.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:08 PM   #60
FoolofaTook

You have only yourself to blame, bruh.