Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2017, 10:36 PM   #61
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
for a while i was trying to compile all of the songs from that particular session - which is obvious because in front of every song BC is like "oh yea its time to rawwwwwk" or whatever

great session.
fuck yeah

Old 07-06-2017, 10:45 PM   #62
cork_soaker
full of longing

no, fellow, i have got you:

Old 07-07-2017, 06:11 AM   #63
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
it's july now.

god bless the danes

Old 07-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #64
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i think the production on MCIS is the worst of all of sp's albums, save for probably Machina (both produced by Flood - fuck that douche). though i do agree with elph that it does have a cohesive feel and an atmosphere that's memorable, there's no denying that.

i just don't think billiam is the kind of singer you could get away with recording so live and so dry. sorry but it just sounds like shit on a lot of the material. imo perhaps Butch Vig's greatest strength in producing the band was getting amazing vocal takes out of Billy, and giving him that lightly doubled/chorused sound that accented his boyishness and gave the whole band a breathy shoegaze-y dimension.

also, re: MCIS, it is glaringly obvious what songs the band spent a lot of time on, and what songs were hurried and rushed. about 50-50. half the songs sound great and half the songs sound like shit, and there are some duds on the record that just should have not been there, especially considering the amount of great shit the band had lying around at that time. songs like Love, Take Me Down (sorry Jeff), We Only Come Out At Night, Beautiful, Lily. they're endearing songs for sure, but come on man. the band had songs readily available that were so much stronger.

i dunno i'm really conflicted about that record. i love it and hate it at the same time. it's definitely the pumpkins' least cohesive and eloquent statement imo, even though it does have very formidable peaks. but it was always a record i go to in order to cherry pick a song i want to hear, and not one to play from start to finish (and not only because it's a double album).

Old 07-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #65
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I wonder what you guys would think about the production on Vein.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:30 PM   #66
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_soaker View Post
no, fellow, i have got you:

This is just plain nuts.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:32 PM   #67
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i

it is glaringly obvious what songs the band spent a lot of time on, and what songs were hurried and rushed. about 50-50. half the songs sound great and half the songs sound like shit, and there are some duds on the record that just should have not been there, especially considering the amount of great shit the band had lying around at that time.

i dunno i'm really conflicted about that record. i love it and hate it at the same time. it's definitely the pumpkins' least cohesive and eloquent statement imo, even though it does have very formidable peaks. but it was always a record i go to in order to cherry pick a song i want to hear, and not one to play from start to finish
I feel the same way about Adore

Old 07-07-2017, 02:01 PM   #68
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Thumbs up

Quote:
i think the production on MCIS is the worst of all of sp's albums, save for probably Machina (both produced by Flood - fuck that douche). though i do agree with elph that it does have a cohesive feel and an atmosphere that's memorable, there's no denying that.

i just don't think billiam is the kind of singer you could get away with recording so live and so dry. sorry but it just sounds like shit on a lot of the material. imo perhaps Butch Vig's greatest strength in producing the band was getting amazing vocal takes out of Billy, and giving him that lightly doubled/chorused sound that accented his boyishness and gave the whole band a breathy shoegaze-y dimension.

also, re: MCIS, it is glaringly obvious what songs the band spent a lot of time on, and what songs were hurried and rushed. about 50-50. half the songs sound great and half the songs sound like shit, and there are some duds on the record that just should have not been there, especially considering the amount of great shit the band had lying around at that time. songs like Love, Take Me Down (sorry Jeff), We Only Come Out At Night, Beautiful, Lily. they're endearing songs for sure, but come on man. the band had songs readily available that were so much stronger.

i dunno i'm really conflicted about that record. i love it and hate it at the same time. it's definitely the pumpkins' least cohesive and eloquent statement imo, even though it does have very formidable peaks. but it was always a record i go to in order to cherry pick a song i want to hear, and not one to play from start to finish (and not only because it's a double album).
agree 1000%. I love the album but as always, a little more quality control could have made it so much better.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:32 PM   #69
Elphenor
Braindead

I'm glad the "endearing" tracks are there they really make the album for me, give it that feeelll

Lily is one of my fav SP tracks

Old 07-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #70
Elphenor
Braindead

Machine is the album that needed some quality control, should have machine 2 tracks on it etc

That's where I see the most missed potential on just making a really great album

Old 07-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #71
redbreegull

Quote:

must spread rep. this is pretty accurate, except I like the endearing tracks. I wouldn't really trade anything off MCIS for anything else, but likely this is because of my emotional connection to the whole thing as a journey/theatrical experience/whatever. there are certainly tracks on TAFH which are much stronger than some of what made it onto MCIS.

I think Billy's vision for MCIS was really different than Siamese Dream. He wanted to make a more organic, live sounding record which also covered as much sonic territory as possible. There is definitely more diversity of sound than on SD, but it's not as cohesive. It's bolder, but it doesn't always succeed.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:33 PM   #72
myosis
Minion of Satan

they wanted MCIS to be their White Album, so they put very different styles of songs on purpose even though they had better ones at hand.
just to show how eclectic SP can be

Old 07-07-2017, 03:43 PM   #73
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:

Could not disagree more on the production, sounds heavy and gorgeous. Think of how much more "alive" stuck like Fuck You, Ruby, and Bodies sound on MCIS then they would have on Siamese. I think it's pretty ignorant to say any of the songs are rushed or sound like shit. I think they sound like they are supposed to.

And Bill gives his best vocal performance, the vocal production is wonderful.

As I've said elsewhere, yeah some Aeroplane tracks would have been better than what's on MCIS, but it's still incredible. As Bread Regal said, let's just think of MCIS/Aeroplane as the greatest 4xLP of all time.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:45 PM   #74
TuralyonW3
Immortal

DID YOU GUYS KNOW THAT SMASHING PUMPKINS ARE A DIVISIVE BAND

Old 07-07-2017, 04:48 PM   #75
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

The production on MCIS was chosen on a song-by-song basis. There are some live songs, some highly produced songs, some demo-ish songs. 'Tis how it's supposed to be.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:24 PM   #76
Alice
Minion of Satan

I wish they did Zeitgeist, Monuments, and Oceania without all the instruments and singing

Old 07-07-2017, 06:24 PM   #77
Alice
Minion of Satan

Oh and how could I forget Teargarten

Old 07-07-2017, 06:35 PM   #78
cork_soaker
full of longing

http://i.imgur.com/8QvrT3G.jpg

confused about what's going on here. i like the short sides and whispy pieces over the ear (classic bc), but the complete lack of bangs looks like something embarrassing happened in a private experimental session with the flowbee late one night in the purple mansion

clearly this is when he was initially toying with what to do re impeding baldhood. it's an odd and thankfully short-lived phase

Old 07-07-2017, 07:21 PM   #79
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
I feel the same way about Adore
Adores vastly overrated by the fan-base. The truth is it's a wildly inconsistent effort. It's got a few classics for sure, but it's a massive downgrade in quality from what came before. And a lot of those samples have aged as well as milk and sound downright embarrassing today.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:11 PM   #80
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:

agree 101%

Old 07-07-2017, 09:14 PM   #81
Shallowed
Braindead

One big advantage to MCIS's production over SD is that it works much better translated to a live setting. SD songs live tend to sound a bit mushy and empty compared to the album.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:42 PM   #82
ButtHash
Demi-God

I only wish MCIS didn't sound so muddy in the whip. That's my main gripe.

I also wish MTAE had better lead guitar parts. The songs are mostly good for what they are, just simple dumb songs, but they'd just be that much better with some lead parts that sounded even remotely inspired.

I wish the Oceania drums didn't sound like DOOF DOOF DUDOODLEUH DOOF DOOF.

Following up on the topic of the "endearing songs" of MCIS, lately I've just been loving the acoustic Adore demos of songs that didn't make the album. For the most part that set is a nice little continuation of that idea.

Last edited by ButtHash : 07-07-2017 at 10:06 PM.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:21 PM   #83
cork_soaker
full of longing

https://web.archive.org/web/20040915...nd/band016.jpg

now this is just a disaster

while james, d'arcy, and jimmy have both feet in the spaceship, bill is clearly conflicted

the dye job on the neatly combed siamese haircut shows his hesitancy. thank god we can't see the full outfit

Old 07-07-2017, 10:30 PM   #84
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_soaker View Post
https://web.archive.org/web/20040915...nd/band016.jpg

now this is just a disaster

while james, d'arcy, and jimmy have both feet in the spaceship, bill is clearly conflicted

the dye job on the neatly combed siamese haircut shows his hesitancy. thank god we can't see the full outfit
Yeah, shit. Even when Billy was writing brilliant music he was still easy to mock

Old 07-07-2017, 10:35 PM   #85
fuzzyroes
Banned

The awesome music made should excuse him from any of his off putting personality quirks though. It's hard to argue that the dude didn't go all in for the sake of the music. Those kind of artists are rare and hard to find. Most "artists" just copy the other artists who break ground. In a way Billy kind of had a Brian Wilson mindset.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:25 AM   #86
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtHash View Post
I only wish MCIS didn't sound so muddy in the whip. That's my main gripe.
yes this absolutely. I have to change my bass level when I listen to it in the car

Old 07-08-2017, 10:47 AM   #87
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
The awesome music made should excuse him from any of his off putting personality quirks though. It's hard to argue that the dude didn't go all in for the sake of the music. Those kind of artists are rare and hard to find. Most "artists" just copy the other artists who break ground. In a way Billy kind of had a Brian Wilson mindset.
HFBD!!!!!!!
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/phot...89-250-168.gif

Old 07-08-2017, 09:56 PM   #88
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:

This is just plain nuts.

it's been forevers since coming upon something fresh to my ears from the hey-day...thanks slunk.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:08 PM   #89
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

I wish Zeitgeist ended after the initial drum part of Doomsday Clock.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #90
panda show
Ownz

I wish the reissue version of glynis didn't have bollio bursting out laughing during the outro of the song.. ruins an otherwise great remix of the song