Mo
Immortal

Who cares, I like it.

But seriously, Trots is into HipHop?

Old 02-09-2009, 05:46 AM   #123
publius clodius
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: thank you mario but our princess is in another castle

seriously, trots listens to anything besides hip hop, the pixies and classic rock?

Old 02-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #124
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

assorted metal

jane's addiction, sp

Old 02-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #125
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

I have not received too many mixes and there is less than a week left. If the majority of you think it will take longer to make your mix, please let me know and we can extend the deadline a week or something.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:43 PM   #126
agenda suicide
cunt cookies

I've got a mix made, I'm just working on it bc I haven't been too satisfied with it.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #127
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

I probably will not finish mine until this weekend myself but just figured I would put it out there.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #128
Sylvia Woods
Apocalyptic Poster

I really like that one long mp3 idea, should have been required. I'm sure not everyone would do it though.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:14 AM   #129
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

I am thinking it is more than most would not know how to, myself included.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:35 AM   #130
Fritter
Ownz

Yeah. And it would likely involve transcoding if the originals were mp3's. Or not, i dunno.

And yeah, i'm sitting on my mix because it's fucking horrible, hoping something will strike me before the weekend. Sorry eventual recipient.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:34 AM   #131
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

should have mine out before the weekend!

Old 02-11-2009, 04:17 AM   #132
agenda suicide
cunt cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritter View Post
Yeah. And it would likely involve transcoding if the originals were mp3's. Or not, i dunno.

And yeah, i'm sitting on my mix because it's fucking horrible, hoping something will strike me before the weekend. Sorry eventual recipient.
glad I'm not the only one who feels this way

Old 02-12-2009, 12:08 AM   #133
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

I'm not really happy with mine either but as I do my regular listening I swap out tracks here and there.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:16 AM   #134
Andy /

Mine's in. All I did was put Winamp on random and took the first ten songs. Hope you like it!!

Old 02-12-2009, 04:01 AM   #135
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

I'm having some upload troubles cause my wireless internet drops in and out a lot. I will try my honest to god best to get this done before the weekend but if it's gonna be any later i will let you know PBE.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:02 AM   #136
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Well, you have until Monday so just do what you can. If no luck, just send me a PM. God knows I am a little empathetic when it comes to the crappy internet front.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:51 AM   #137
D.
Consume my pants.

i will be making my mix over the weekend.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:24 AM   #138
agenda suicide
cunt cookies

where is everyone hosting their mix for download?

Old 02-13-2009, 02:26 AM   #139
D.
Consume my pants.

mine will be rapidshare

Old 02-13-2009, 02:28 AM   #140
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

depends on the size. if its over 200 MB - Megaupload, if it is under 200MB - Mediafire.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:41 AM   #141
agenda suicide
cunt cookies

thanks doods

my mix is done. I just need to untag everything and whatnot.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #142
Mo
Immortal

Red face

My review (I of II):

First of all, the mixtape I got is one long track. Which adds to the actual mixtape feeling but makes it a bit harder to distinguish the different songs. I like it, but I wasn't always sure when a song ended and another one began, so I'll use time stamps and you can correct me if necessary.

[00.00 - 00.39] - Intro. Sounds weird. Something off a G-Unit record, maybe (because of the lyrics)?

[00.40 - 04.43] - This is Nas - Memory Lane. Awesome, I dig well-done hip-hop, if I'm in the mood. And I am right now. I still haven't found out why I always start laughing when I hear Biz Markie's voice, though.

[04.44 - 07.07] - Love the cross-fading. Another nice hip-hop track. I like how it starts with a simple bass line and evolves from there. A bit short maybe, wouldn't have minded another few minutes.

[07.08 - 10.49] - Fat fucking beat - my head has been banging constantly so far. Although I only able to make out like 30% of rap lyrics, I heard the words "Wu-Tang", so I suppose this is by the Clan. Love it.

[10.50 - 14.58] - Is this NERD? I only know their newest record, but both the production as well as the vocal performances sound similar. Awesome.

[14.59 - 17.54] - The sample's well known, though I can't name it. The song sounds like something off the Beastie Boys's instrumental album, but I know for a fact that it's not on there (right?). I like the female voice samples.

[17.55 - 20.10] - Finally some harder synths. This sounds like Barbara Morgenstern, a German electronic artist I adore. Another instrumental, but I don't mind. Quite the contrary, actually.

[20.11 - 24.52] - A very reduced and, erm, chime-y? This is something I could fall asleep to. I like it when songs are structured relatively simple and have a kinda positive vibe. I need more of this.

[24.54 - 26.35] - Starts off with a slow bass guitar, which is never a bad sign. Hear, hear - a sax? This is getting better and better. Sounds like it could be on the Night On Earth soundtrack.

[26.36 - 29.14] - Skip James? Fantastic, oldschool guitar blues.

[29.15 - 33.02] - Another amazing track with mostly vocals and guitar. You really have a gift steering a mix tape in a new direction, it's great. Who is this? Again, I want more.

[33.03 - 36.32] - Uh, looped, layered e-guitars. Makes a nice interlude, really. Could be anything from a 13-year-old in his garage to Sigur Rós. No idea, but I like the harmonies.

[36.33 - 41.17] - Right now I'm hating myself for not being able to easy recall certain songs. I've definitely heard this before many times. Starts off like Explosions In The Sky, actually. I listened to this on my way to work this morning, walking through the freezing city. It was spectacular. God, I love this song.

[41.18 - 45.29] - Another slow prog song, though more Mogwai-y. I really like where this tape is going.

I'll do the rest tomorrow, I gotta leave the house now.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #143
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

TODAY IS THE DAY!

Your mixes is due to me by midnight! If you send it to me at any point today, please make sure you include who your mix is for. I will be at work and will not have the time to look through my PMs. If you have a feeling your mix might be late, please send me a PM so I do not have to send you one. I would really like to send out as few bitchy reminder PMs as humanly possible. Lastly, if you have gotten your mix: PLEASE REVIEW IT.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:42 PM   #144
agenda suicide
cunt cookies

mac users, what program are you using to untag the songs? the one I have won't let you edit m4a files, and I have a few of those..

Last edited by agenda suicide : 02-16-2009 at 08:18 PM.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:28 AM   #145
publius clodius
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: thank you mario but our princess is in another castle

wheres my mix dammit

im going to hunt you down, whoever you are

Old 02-17-2009, 05:51 AM   #146
TheDeuce
Apocalyptic Poster

i find it funny that all mixes are supposed to be made and sent out by this time and we still only have roughly half of a review posted.

anyway...

my mix is done, and i actualy uploaded it at one point, but something happened and it didn't work. i'll upload it again when i go to sleep.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:04 AM   #147
D.
Consume my pants.

I'm not sure if it's related at all, since I've never heard Har Mar Superstar, but a picture of what looks like an album cover shows in WMP on every song.

================================================== ====

Track 1 - Funky, french-language surf-inspired ... I like this in a weird 70's spy movie way

Track 2 - Really like the vocalist. I could see myself enjoying this a lot. Kinda sounds like it would be on the same record as the previous song, so that's good for continuity.

Track 3 - I can see a pattern here. Another female vocal song, which is good because I like female vocals. Also sounds like it would fit in on a record with the first two songs. Good stuff.

Track 4 - Instrumental, also sounds like it fits in with the previous songs.

Track 5 - Oh, hey, I really like the vocals and music on this song. I'd love to hear more from this artist if this is how the songs generally sound. First song with vocals that aren't female but yeah, I really like this.

Track 6 - Jesus, another spot-on track. I am really beginning to like this mix. A lot.

Track 7 - This song is OK; nothing really special about it, but it does seem like it goes hand in hand with Track 4.

Track 8 - This song is a bit much to take; too much going on at once. May warm up to it on further listens. But it does flow perfectly from the song before it.

Track 9 - This flows nicely but I don't really like it much.

Track 10 - Enjoyable, but doesn't seem to be a song I'd like, ever play again

Track 11 - This has to be portishead. I never really got into them. I mean, I don't hate them (except for their last album was horribly boring) but I do kinda like this song.

Track 12 - Well, this is markedly different from every song on this mix. Genre change! Sounds like Sea Change-era Beck, but I could be off. I haven't listened to that album in FOREVER.

Track 13 - Pretty song. Definite replay.

Track 14 - This person sounds like Hope Sandoval from Mazzy Star, which is not terrible because I enjoy MS. If it's not, then this person should pay royalties to her. Beautiful song, either way.

Track 15 - Another super familiar-sounding voice, but I can't place it. Nice song.

Track 16 - Hate to say it again, but this is a familiar voice, but it's not coming to me. I like it OK, kinda drags over almost 8 minutes, but it's not bad by any means.

Track 17 - meh. could have done without thing song.

Track 18 - I forgot who sings this but I LOVE IT. "Suzanne"!

================================================== =======

This was like getting two mixes since there is a distinct change around track 12, so that was cool and I give a 4/5 for song flow. I give a 3/5 for song choices because most are good and replayable. A few are just OK and don't really make me want to listen to them again and a few are just not my thing. Seems this person definitely put some thought into it and I appreciate that.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:47 AM   #148
I'm Hardcore
Banned

uploading as i speak

Old 02-17-2009, 09:02 AM   #149
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

As somebody has already pointed out, a lot of people have still not sent me a mix. A handful of people have nicely PMed me to tell me that I will have theirs shortly. I really do appreciate that. Those of you who have not done this have until the end of the week and then you will start getting the bitchy PMs from me. Either send me a link by then or tell me what the fuck is going on. To those lucky people who have gotten their mix: REVIEW IT!

Old 02-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #150
Brute Squad
oh for fuck's sake

My recipient was D. and he turned around a review pretty quick. I still haven't listened to the mix I received yet, so apologies to whomever that may be. D. here is the tracklist:

1. Stereolab - Percolator
2. Siouxsie and the Banshees - Hong Kong Garden
3. Cibo Mato - Spoon
4. Four Tet - As Serious As Your Life
5. Matthew Dear - Deserter
6. Gang Gang Dance - House Jam
7. Amon Tobin - Get Your Snack On
8. Dismemberment Plan - Back and Forth
9. Moving Units - Submission
10. Har Mar Superstar - Cry 4 Help
11. Portishead - Glory Box
12. Beck - Guess I'm Doing Fine
13. Cat Power - Say
14. Mazzy Star - Still Cold
15. Nick Drake - Parasite
16. Songs: Ohia - Didn't It Rain
17. Elliott Smith - 2:45am
18. Leonard Cohen - Suzanne

It was a two genre mix. First part was aiming for songs with a rhythmic bassline, second part was just sad and/or emotional songs, but I ended it on a high note with a great song about love.