Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2016, 03:28 AM   #31
Disco King
Minion of Satan

It's my fave. There are only like two tracks I ever skip, and not even all the time. Everything else is solid imo.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:30 AM   #32
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I'm more curious about the implication that Run To Me's favourite SP record is Pisces.

For me, there are tracks on there I like, but it sounds like what it is: a b-sides compilation. As opposed to, say, TAPH, which has a bunch of tracks that are easily album-quality, but just couldn't fit because c'mon they already had 28 songs.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:48 AM   #33
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I'm more curious about the implication that Run To Me's favourite SP record is Pisces.

For me, there are tracks on there I like, but it sounds like what it is: a b-sides compilation. As opposed to, say, TAPH, which has a bunch of tracks that are easily album-quality, but just couldn't fit because c'mon they already had 28 songs.
TAPH?

Old 09-08-2016, 03:55 AM   #34
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Terrain Altering Penile Homo

it's one of sp's finest works that they'd ever done but it's sitting in a can to this day. i dunno how disco king got hold of it.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:21 AM   #35
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Mellon Collie is far and away my favorite Pumpkins album. It's the album that got me into the Pumpkins, really being the first one I ever listened to, that may have something to do with that.
I love how they bring the band's sound to some wacky extremes (we only come out at night, love, cupid) and even those end up being good songs.

Siamese Dream is the only album i'd say can compete on a quality level, but it just seems too overthought and overdone in comparison, there is a certain emotional rawness and urgency to the Mellon Collie album that really speaks to me.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:25 AM   #36
buzzard
Minion of Satan

It was the album that doesn't transition from a piano and mellotron intro to a thirty-piece string-section that seems overdone by comparison?

Last edited by buzzard : 09-08-2016 at 08:39 AM.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:21 AM   #37
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:

Pisces is also my favorite. It's less self-consciously trying to be an epic album as the other SP albums and thus comes off as more honest. Also the album also ties into some happy memories for me.

You need to realize that there is a difference between a personal favorite and something actually being better.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:50 AM   #38
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
We all know you're a closet Dream Theater fan.
I saw this band live with a friend he assured me they would be a cool band

we are no longer friends

Old 09-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #39
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

HE LIKES DREAM THEATER SO I DUMPED HIS ASS LOL
THAT SHOWED HIM

Old 09-08-2016, 10:14 AM   #40
Elphenor
Braindead

he lied to me

Old 09-08-2016, 11:05 AM   #41
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
Pisces is also my favorite. It's less self-consciously trying to be an epic album as the other SP albums and thus comes off as more honest. Also the album also ties into some happy memories for me.

You need to realize that there is a difference between a personal favorite and something actually being better.
So much wisdom in this post. PI is most def underrated. Has a super chill vibe

And tho I knnow SD is the best, MCIS will always be my fav. Same with Help being my fav tho I know Sgt Peppers is the best. The heart and the mind are different indeed.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:06 AM   #42
FoolofaTook

Also like I know Akuma No Uta is the best but I prefer Rainbow.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #43
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
It was the album that doesn't transition from a piano and mellotron intro to a thirty-piece string-section that seems overdone by comparison?
Indeed!
It's mostly a perception thing though, I'm sure technically Mellon Collie is probably the more complex album. But listening to it now it seems more raw and immediate than Siamese Dream to me.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:49 AM   #44
FoolofaTook

Sd should of been a double album

while mcis could easily been seven discs

we all know this. i wish the whole band career just focused on the sd/mcis eras, fully expanded and fleshed out. Imagine an hour long Jackboot!

Old 09-08-2016, 12:49 PM   #45
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
TAPH?
The Aeroplane Phleyes High. You can really hear the influence of Axis: Bold Ass Love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
Terrain Altering Penile Homo

it's one of sp's finest works that they'd ever done but it's sitting in a can to this day. i dunno how disco king got hold of it.
Not proud of the things I had to do for Monte.

Quote:

I guess because I think "better" is a subjective term, if I declare something as "better" as something else, it's because I like it better than something else, which would logically mean that between the two, it's my favourite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
HE LIKES DREAM THEATER SO I DUMPED HIS ASS LOL
THAT SHOWED HIM
The concert only put them on shaky ground. It was the fact that he puts ketchup on his onion rings that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Sd should of been
Now I feel less badly about TAPH and Bold of Love.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:56 PM   #46
ButtHash
Demi-God

More than 10 but fuck it this is what I'm feeling.

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Deftones - White Pony
J Dilla - Donuts
The Cure - Faith
David Bowie - Station to Station
Modest Mouse - Lonesome Crowded West
Deerhunter - Fading Frontier
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Everything Everything - Get to Heaven
Danny Brown - XXX
Stereolab - Mars Audiac Quinet
Red House Painters - Down Colorful Hill
Prince - Purple Rain
Outkast - ATLiens
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Gang of Four - Entertainment!
The 1975 - The 1975

Old 09-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #47
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:

I'll put it this way: it's the only SP disc that stays in my car, forever, period. SD is a perfect album, but the singular guitar tones and emotional intensity wear me out; I have to really be in the mood for it. MCIS isn't an album; it's a universe of sound. So not really fair to even i n c l u d e on a list of "favorite albums." My relationship with MCIS is too complex to listen to it all the time.

Thus, Pisces. It's a grab-bag of all my favorite SP sounds, it's loose and relaxed, and it sounds like a band having fun. Plus HKK into Obscured, two absolutely top-shelf (yet diametrically contrasting) SP tracks back-to-back

Old 09-08-2016, 01:56 PM   #48
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i definitely agree

Old 09-08-2016, 01:58 PM   #49
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i love both sd and mcis but something about how hard they try to be epic and perfect and memorable makes me shy away from considering them my all time favs.

the best pieces of art to me are about true, honest expression. and that includes exploration and an ebb-and-flow. and at that, pisces, adore and even machina ii rank higher for me. they all capture an essence, a mood, rather than a bunch of great music designed to conquer the world.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:29 PM   #50
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I guess because I think "better" is a subjective term, if I declare something as "better" as something else, it's because I like it better than something else, which would logically mean that between the two, it's my favourite.
If that was true, you wouldn't be wondering "How can anyone think that's their favorite!? sheesh!!"

Old 09-08-2016, 03:37 PM   #51
brutechinasky
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
So much wisdom in this post. PI is most def underrated. Has a super chill vibe
it's all about that phaser

Old 09-08-2016, 03:51 PM   #52
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
If that was true, you wouldn't be wondering "How can anyone think that's their favorite!? sheesh!!"
I don't see how that follows.

I was responding to you saying that there is a difference between something being "the best" and something being a "personal favourite."

My response is that, seeing as "the best" is a personal judgement anyway, for any given person, what one judges to be "the best" would align with one's "personal favourite."

It was nothing to to with disagreeing with somebody else's taste or judgement of what "the best" or their "personal favourite" is, so taking the stance that, relative to the subject, "the best" and the "personal favourite" would refer to the same entity doesn't preclude the possibility of wondering how somebody came to that judgement of something being "the best" or their "personal favourite."

Old 09-08-2016, 03:59 PM   #53
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

that's a fair point, but the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, or the same.

i could say that while i logically acknowledge that adore is a flawed record, and is not as 'perfect' as sd (i.e "the best"), it is still my personal favorite.

semantics is fun. we should crash a party and bust semantical discussions in between 90's acoustic covers (i'll bring the classical guitar with the missing string)

Old 09-08-2016, 04:10 PM   #54
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I'll look up tabs for Pearl Jam's "Black."

Yeah, my SP album ranking is always in flux, probably because the albums are so qualitatively different that it's hard to rank them against some uni-dimensional scale and say "this one is better than that one, this one is between this one and that one." Like, do I like Siamese Dream or Adore better? Sometimes I feel like listening to one, sometimes I prefer listening to the other. Adore is so subdued and melancholic and long that it's hard to listen to as frequently as something like SD, but it also feels more daring, ambitious, and mature. I remember I made people scratch their heads on the gen board by saying Adore might be better than SD.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:28 PM   #55
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:

I don't know, I find Pisces Iscariot pretty cohesive. And except for the opening and closing tracks they all seem like regular album tracks to me, for the pumpkins at least. But then again Siamese Dream is my favorite album and its obviously reminiscent of that.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:39 PM   #56
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
SD is a perfect album, but the singular guitar tones and emotional intensity wear me out; I have to really be in the mood for it. MCIS isn't an album; it's a universe of sound.
yes, all this all the time. Perfectly said.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:11 PM   #57
freshfacedyouth
Ownz

adore is my favorite sp album to listen to all the way through. mellon collie, although it's my favorite album of all time, is too much to digest all in one sitting. the entirety of tafh can't stand toe to toe against pisces for the same reasons

Old 09-08-2016, 08:33 PM   #58
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i think pisces has better b-sides than TAFH. it just doesn't have as many. i mean hello kitty kat, obscured and starla are better than any track i can think of on TAFH... besides, maybe, the title track. which would be on the same level. there are some gems of songs - the last song, set the ray to jerry, cherry, etc. but almost every song on pisces is a gem of that level, at least 2-10

Old 09-08-2016, 10:22 PM   #59
redbreegull

1. SD or MCIS or Adore, too hard to choose.
2. Jeff Buckley – Grace
3. Radiohead – Da Bends
4. CSNY – Deja Vu
5. The Everybodyfields – Nothing is Okay
6. Red House Painters – Songs for a Blue Guitar (also very difficult for me to settle between several of his albums)
7. The Smiths – The Queen is Dead
8. My Bloody Valentine – Loveless
9. The National – Alligator
10. R.E.M. – Murmur

this is too hard, there are at least 10 more albums that are equally as important to me as these.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:23 PM   #60
redbreegull

if I could do five albums for each decade from the 60s-today, I might be able to nail down all the albums that have been the most meaningful to me