Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2011, 04:11 AM   #1
fuzzyroes
Banned

Default Why is Mike Byrne in all these other bands when hes in one of the coolest bands ever?

I find it odd that Byrnes creating all these new bands when hes a member in the fucking SMASHING PUMPKINS!!! I mean shit, thats gotta be the coolest band you could possibly join... You figure that would be musically and artistically pleasing enough.

If i were him I'd be putting all my time in to make the Pumpkins better instead of creating and focusing on all these new bands. The kid has an opportunity of a lifetime and he seems to wanna just use it as a stepping stone to further his hipster bullshit bands.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:23 AM   #2
lala
Banned

why wouldn't he be?

Old 12-23-2011, 05:24 AM   #3
great poster
Apocalyptic Poster

BEARCUBBIN!!!

Old 12-23-2011, 05:44 AM   #4
Kahlo

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by great poster View Post
BEARCUBBIN!!!
NSFW?

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ld...dxbfo1_500.jpg

Old 12-23-2011, 06:33 AM   #5
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lala View Post
why wouldn't he be?
Cause hes in a partnership with one of the best musicians whos came along in the past 20 years. Thats an amazing gift that Billys given to him. Wouldn't that be artistically fulfilling enough?

I mean shit... Maybe if he focused all his time on SP and not on Bearcubbing and jewel and the skywalkers or whatever their called he would be performing better in the band that has created a library full of great music...

I mean hes in the Smashing Pumpkins but also feels he has to put his all into a hipster math-rock band... YOU'RE ALREADY IN ONE OF THE BEST BANDS EVER DUMBASS!!! FOCUS ON THAT AND MAYBE YOU WONT SOUND MILES BEHIND JIMMY!!!!

Old 12-23-2011, 07:42 AM   #6
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Nicole has a side project too.

except it's pretty good.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:05 AM   #7
great poster
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo View Post
oh fuck

Old 12-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
Nicole has a side project too.

except it's pretty good.
Exactly... If I joined Smashing Pumpkins I would be ecstatic and focusing all my time to make this legendary band better... I wouldn't be off forming brand new bands planning tours to further these new projects when I'm in an amazing band...

Whats the point of that?... Being in Smashing Pumpkins isn't fulfilling enough? Being in Smashing Pumpkins isn't exciting enough? I don't see how you can be in the Smashing Pumpkins and still be figuring that you have to fill some void with other projects.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #9
fuzzyroes
Banned

These new clowns (not including Jeff) seem to be more concerned with their side projects and just hoping they can use SP as a stepping stone to make their side projects known.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #10
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
These new clowns (not including Jeff) seem to be more concerned with their side projects and just hoping they can use SP as a stepping stone to make their side projects known.
I wouldn't go that far.

nicole's album has been on hold all year. She and Megan haven't been able to finish it, in part because nicole's been either in the studio or on tour.

I dont' know wtf Mike is up to. my impression is that his homies from jr high really want to jam with him when he gets a break from touring or recoring all those billy demos (that we'll never hear). he's so young he probably hasn't figured out that bill will call any time any day of the week and say "get on a bus and get your ass over hear cause I feel like wasting every minute of your life."

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 12-23-2011 at 09:38 AM.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #11
lala
Banned

Before SP Mikey worked at McDonalds and had no future. So yeah ... Billy giving him a chance saved his ass

Old 12-24-2011, 12:19 AM   #12
antiskum
Demi-God

considering the interview where billy said the band would be over if oceania wasn't a success

considering the odds of oceania being successful

i'd be looking for new employment too

Old 12-24-2011, 12:39 AM   #13
Ball Sack Face
Banned

Quote:
Cause hes in a partnership with one of the best musicians whos came along in the past 20 years.
I wouldn't say Jeff is one of the best, but it you say so.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:35 AM   #14
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Jewels and the Wallwalkers seemed to be more of a band from the past that just decided to put their shit out on the internet, but Bearcubbin' is just as awful so your guess is as good as mine.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #15
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Talking

BEARCUBBIN'

Old 12-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #16
fuzzyroes
Banned

Honestly though. If i was Corgan giving some kid an opportunity of a life time I'd be a little irked that he decides to form his own brand new band like 10 months later after joining THE SMASHING PUMPKINS. It sorta felt that way whenever I've been in local bands and a member starts some other shit... Its always sort of a slap in the face... Kinda like what the fuck aren't we all on the same page? You want to play in a new band?

I mean if Billy Corgan let me join the band I can tell you I wouldn't feel the need to start making my own new band the first chance I got...

I'm actually pretty surprised Billys so cool with it being the huge egomaniac he is.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #17
antiskum
Demi-God

you don't join a band like (the current incarnation of) the smashing pumpkins unless you want a platform to launch yourself out of obscurity

Old 12-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #18
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Honestly though. If i was Corgan giving some kid an opportunity of a life time I'd be a little irked that he decides to form his own brand new band like 10 months later after joining THE SMASHING PUMPKINS. It sorta felt that way whenever I've been in local bands and a member starts some other shit... Its always sort of a slap in the face... Kinda like what the fuck aren't we all on the same page? You want to play in a new band?

I mean if Billy Corgan let me join the band I can tell you I wouldn't feel the need to start making my own new band the first chance I got...

I'm actually pretty surprised Billys so cool with it being the huge egomaniac he is.
Well Billy did make Mike cancel that sweet tour Bearcubbin' was about to go on so he could demo with Smashing Pumpkins...

Old 12-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #19
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

I'm trying not to be a negative nancy here. Ok, i give up. This is the worst thread ever.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #20
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Nobody has considered Smashing Pumpkins a cool band since 1995.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #21
Monet LSD
Ownz

Location: ...Talk about dedication, going all the way to the down under to read a rolling stones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiskum View Post
(the current incarnation of) the smashing pumpkins
this should be the new name of the band

Old 12-26-2011, 11:46 PM   #22
rudi
Pledge

Quote:
I find it odd that Byrnes creating all these new bands when hes a member in the fucking SMASHING PUMPKINS!!! I mean shit, thats gotta be the coolest band you could possibly join... You figure that would be musically and artistically pleasing enough.

If i were him I'd be putting all my time in to make the Pumpkins better instead of creating and focusing on all these new bands. The kid has an opportunity of a lifetime and he seems to wanna just use it as a stepping stone to further his hipster bullshit bands.
Sorry dude but your high opinion of the smashing pumpkins is about 15 years too late

Old 12-26-2011, 11:57 PM   #23
antiskum
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monet LSD View Post
this should be the new name of the band
tbh i agree, i think a lot of the animosity towards the current band comes from the use of the sp name.

if he did something like what 'kyuss' did with 'kyuss lives' (without josh homme), it would make things much more bearable. like, it's openly not the same band so who cares if people think it's crap or not.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:53 AM   #24
fuzzyroes
Banned

Yeah I think you guys are onto something. You're setting yourself up for ridicule calling this band SP when the musicianship is at such a lower level than it used to be... Even Billy said in not so many words recently that the new band lacks the intensity and drive of the old one.

I wish Billy would just move on. It'd be sweeter seeing him as a solo artist playing songs from all throughout his career anyhow... It'd be better for Byrne too. His inefficiencies wouldn't be so glaring because people wouldn't be fairly comparing him to Jimmy... When a band one day has an all time beast at the drums and then suddenly does not anymore its gonna be something people notice and be irked out about.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:58 AM   #25
fuzzyroes
Banned

Corgan: "What we lack at times in excessive force..... " Its pretty obvious hes admitting the band doesn't have that powerhouse driving sound it used to...

Old 12-28-2011, 12:58 AM   #26
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

no. now it's PROG

Old 12-28-2011, 01:09 AM   #27
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

or shoegaze

Old 12-28-2011, 01:09 AM   #28
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

who the fuck knows

Old 12-28-2011, 01:28 AM   #29
fuzzyroes
Banned

Not me... SP's just having a hard time keeping me interested anymore... Sooo many big prolific promises and nothing comes to fruition. I dont even care about Oceania anymore. It probably wont come out till the summer or someshit... And then when I buy it it'll probably be full of cheesy souinding synths and shitty all over the place Byrne drumming.

Not to mention Mike Byrnes boy-band sounding back up vocals and Nicoles high off key voice.

This new band sucks

Old 12-28-2011, 01:30 AM   #30
fuzzyroes
Banned

"i'm with youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, i'm with youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuUUuuuuUUUuuuuuuuuuuu u"