Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2018, 04:16 PM   #2041
slayed23
Ownz
 
Posts: 509
Default

Like if monuments took that picture of the Mexican chick and then used it to promote his secondary tickets to a SP show in Mexico, he could get sued.

 
slayed23 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:53 PM   #2042
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
redbreegull's Avatar
 
Location: WILD BOY
Posts: 30,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayed23 View Post
If someone is in a public setting, you absolutely can legally take their picture without their knowledge or consent.

You just canít use it to make profit.
if you are noticed creepily taking sneak-shots you may find yourself in the custody of park security though. It may not be technically illegal to snap the picture but there are other laws (varying by municipality, not to mention the park's own policies) that might protect someone whose photo you are taking without their knowledge or consent. This was many years ago, but my mom caught an old creeper guy photographing her leaving her job. Because she's a badass she walked up to his car and started banging on the hood and when he drove off, she followed him and called the cops. You best believe the cops went right into his house legally without a warrant and shook the guy down. They determined the guy was just a mentally ill weirdo, but it resulted in a restraining order.

so yeah, just so you know, you do not necessarily have the unlimited and unbridgeable right to single someone out in public and take creepy photos of them just because there is no literal law saying you can't take photos in public

 
redbreegull is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:17 PM   #2043
slayed23
Ownz
 
Posts: 509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
if you are noticed creepily taking sneak-shots you may find yourself in the custody of park security though. It may not be technically illegal to snap the picture but there are other laws (varying by municipality, not to mention the park's own policies) that might protect someone whose photo you are taking without their knowledge or consent. This was many years ago, but my mom caught an old creeper guy photographing her leaving her job. Because she's a badass she walked up to his car and started banging on the hood and when he drove off, she followed him and called the cops. You best believe the cops went right into his house legally without a warrant and shook the guy down. They determined the guy was just a mentally ill weirdo, but it resulted in a restraining order.

so yeah, just so you know, you do not necessarily have the unlimited and unbridgeable right to single someone out in public and take creepy photos of them just because there is no literal law saying you can't take photos in public
Sure. A better example would be taking pictures of kids at a park. It can warrant an investigation and they can ask you to leave even. I worked at a swimming pool and some old guy got caught taking pics of a lady sunbathing. They banned him from the park. Wasnít arrested though.

What monuments did though... one isolated pic to show the t-shirt of an individual is nothing thatís gonna get you in trouble.

 
slayed23 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:51 PM   #2044
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
redbreegull's Avatar
 
Location: WILD BOY
Posts: 30,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayed23 View Post
What monuments did though... one isolated pic to show the t-shirt of an individual is nothing that’s gonna get you in trouble.
the level of trouble is going to depend on if you get spotted and how upset the person is haha

my point is just there isn't some law that guarantees unlimited unrestrictable freedom to photograph people in public without their knowledge. if that woman had spotted this weirdo she could easily have had him detained by security, especially since there was a kid involved, and it actually is illegal to take photos of minors without adult consent in some places. imagine being taken into some room and told you either had to show them the photo and explain what you were doing or they could make you wait for a police officer to arrive to write a report, or at the very least throw you out of the park. again, my point is just if you do it to someone who gets pissed off, it's not like they have no power to retaliate. especially a woman with a child? being photographed in secret at a theme park? she could ruin your fucking day at the very least

consider Disney's liability and how security would be trained to approach a situation like this? You think they are going to give the benefit of the doubt to MonumentsRocks walking around with this photo in his phone, or the young mother who says this guy is following her and taking pictures of her kid?

Last edited by redbreegull : 12-15-2018 at 06:01 PM.

 
redbreegull is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:01 PM   #2045
slayed23
Ownz
 
Posts: 509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
the level of trouble is going to depend on if you get spotted and how upset the person is haha

my point is just there isn't some law that guarantees unlimited unrestrictable freedom to photograph people in public without their knowledge. if that woman had spotted this weirdo she could easily have had him detained by security, especially since there was a kid involved, and it actually is illegal to take photos of minors without adult consent in some places. imagine being taken into some room and told you either had to show them the photo and explain what you were doing or they could make you wait for a police officer to arrive to write a report, or at the very least throw you out of the park. again, my point is just if you do it to someone who gets pissed off, it's not like they have no power to retaliate. especially a woman with a child? being photographed in secret at a theme park? she could ruin your fucking day at the very least
I agree. It could be an inconvenience for him if she saw it. IMO, if she saw it and called security, they wouldn’t do much other than waste his time there. It’s a non suggestive picture. Looks random. Maybe they tell him to delete it at most.

What I find distasteful though is when news outlets will start talking about an obesity report by scientists and the network feels the need to show random overweight people walking down the street (as if we don’t know what they look like). Imagine if that person was watching the news and saw themself basically being shamed on live TV.

 
slayed23 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:03 PM   #2046
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
redbreegull's Avatar
 
Location: WILD BOY
Posts: 30,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayed23 View Post
I agree. It could be an inconvenience for him if she saw it. IMO, if she saw it and called security, they wouldn’t do much. It’s a non suggestive picture. Looks random. Maybe they tell him to delete it at most.
If she were really upset I think they would remove him from the park or possibly detain him if she were upset enough that she wanted the police to come write something up

again, my point is that he isn't exercising some fundamental right, he's walking a very fine line of will I get caught and how will the person react

 
redbreegull is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:07 PM   #2047
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
redbreegull's Avatar
 
Location: WILD BOY
Posts: 30,820
Default

"I was just taking a photo of her with her small child to show people on the internet the band t-shirt she has on because I didn't expect a Hispanic person to listen to them. Really! Wait, you don't believe me?"

"Sir, please come with us."


 
redbreegull is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:12 PM   #2048
slayed23
Ownz
 
Posts: 509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
If she were really upset I think they would remove him from the park or possibly detain him if she were upset enough that she wanted the police to come write something up

again, my point is that he isn't exercising some fundamental right, he's walking a very fine line of will I get caught and how will the person react
Meh, I think kicking him out of the park would be overkill. If he simply said ďSP is my favorite band and I like your shirt. Sorry, I will delete itĒ I doubt she would be so upset to ask for him to be removed. Itís one pic of a fully clothed person walking.

I agree itís a fine line that isnít worth the explanation or a business telling you to leave their establishment. I was originally just saying that taking a picture by itself isnít going to land you behind bars.

 
slayed23 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:15 PM   #2049
Corgan's Bluff
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Corgan's Bluff's Avatar
 
Location: Golf club war zone next door.
Posts: 4,134
Red face

Next time post a high resolution photo of a whole crowd and point out the woman in the middle to be wearing a Pumpkins shirt...

 
Corgan's Bluff is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:35 PM   #2050
bright_doom
Ownz
 
bright_doom's Avatar
 
Location: It requires an ability to judge distance
Posts: 728
Default

Spotted a Disney Fan


 
bright_doom is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:39 PM   #2051
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster
 
johncg's Avatar
 
Location: Corgan drove here today in his white Cadillac Escalade.
Posts: 1,124
Default

Who cares whether it's legal? It's just creepy.

 
johncg is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:41 PM   #2052
MonumentsRocks
Ownz
 
Posts: 633
Default

The way you guys obsess over Clay and his wife, that's creepy. We actually know who those people are. And in this case you're not celebrating their fandom, rather you mercilessly mock them for it. I'm not so much saying people here are hypocrites as much to say, the reason you do what you do, and why you say you do it, are two different things.

 
MonumentsRocks is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:43 PM   #2053
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster
 
johncg's Avatar
 
Location: Corgan drove here today in his white Cadillac Escalade.
Posts: 1,124
Default

Uh-oh he's getting mad. We're breaking him!

 
johncg is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:53 PM   #2054
MonumentsRocks
Ownz
 
Posts: 633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
Uh-oh he's getting mad. We're breaking him!
You greatly overestimate my estimation of you.

 
MonumentsRocks is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #2055
Corgan's Bluff
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Corgan's Bluff's Avatar
 
Location: Golf club war zone next door.
Posts: 4,134
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentsRocks View Post
The way you guys obsess over Clay and his wife, that's creepy. We actually know who those people are. And you're not celebrating their fandom, rather in some strange way you mercilessly mock them for it. I'm not so much saying people here are hypocrites as much to say, the reason you do what you do, and why you say you do it, are two different things.
Let's call him Clayton Leonard from now on, to get more anonymous. With 36 you deserve it...

He gets bashed for his strange aggressive ways he's trying to "confirm" people about his opinion about the Pumpkins, even by sending private messages to people he doesn't know.

 
Corgan's Bluff is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:55 PM   #2056
MonumentsRocks
Ownz
 
Posts: 633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post

He gets bashed for his strange aggressive ways he's trying to "confirm" people about his opinion about the Pumpkins, even by sending private messages to people he doesn't know.

If you have to explain it, then no, you're not.

You guys are just out to have a good time, whether it be trashing Billy, trashing a facebook group, or feigning outrage. Maybe the fact that a Smashing Pumpkins shirt was seen on an unlikely person in an unlikely place is amusing, but clearly not as amusing as pretending it causes you great offense.

 
MonumentsRocks is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:08 PM   #2057
Corgan's Bluff
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Corgan's Bluff's Avatar
 
Location: Golf club war zone next door.
Posts: 4,134
Arrow

Believe it or not. A year ago I hoped we would see a successful SP reunion with all for original members peaceful reuniting. Instead THEY trashed things in every way.

 
Corgan's Bluff is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:16 PM   #2058
MonumentsRocks
Ownz
 
Posts: 633
Default

It's tit for tat warfare between Billy and everyone else. He attacks other artists, and he attacks liberal politics, people are offended, but rather than rebut Billy point for point, instead they say his music sucks, and criticize him for putting on weight, and suggest that he band is worthless without James and D'arcy, even if 98% of the talent is obviously accounted for in Billy and Jimmy. You know it's true because there are a lot other decades old rock bands in the same situation, and they don't face these same criticisms.

 
MonumentsRocks is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:24 PM   #2059
FoolofaTook
Immortal
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Location: Trump first sold Hawaii to the Japanese to now be right saying Barack Obama isn't born in the United States. -Crognan's Bluff
Posts: 29,071
Default

but... his music does suck. all that other shit is just extra.

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:47 PM   #2060
Corgan's Bluff
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Corgan's Bluff's Avatar
 
Location: Golf club war zone next door.
Posts: 4,134
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentsRocks View Post
It's tit for tat warfare between Billy and everyone else. He attacks other artists, and he attacks liberal politics, people are offended, but rather than rebut Billy point for point, instead they say his music sucks, and criticize him for putting on weight, and suggest that he band is worthless without James and D'arcy, even if 98% of the talent is obviously accounted for in Billy and Jimmy. You know it's true because there are a lot other decades old rock bands in the same situation, and they don't face these same criticisms.
They ARE doing old dad rock now no one wants to buy.
And Corgan is still showing his antics in every embarassing way without limitations.
Obviously D'arcy was the only one in the band able to have some influence on it for a while.
And James alone is delivering more than 2% to the sound of the band. Recognizable at today's ticket sales...

 
Corgan's Bluff is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:03 PM   #2061
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Funbags's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,418
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentsRocks View Post
The way you guys obsess over Clay and his wife, that's creepy. We actually know who those people are. And in this case you're not celebrating their fandom, rather you mercilessly mock them for it. I'm not so much saying people here are hypocrites as much to say, the reason you do what you do, and why you say you do it, are two different things.
I think you may actually be Clay tbh. Celebrating their fandom?

Netphoria isn't mocking Clay for being a fan of the band, or at least I'm not. I'm mocking him because he's clearly motivated by receiving positive attention from Billy. Clay is one of those people who bosses everyone around to get a pat on the head from Daddy -and then uses that power to make people respect him.

It's what often happens in the families of narcissists; one child will become the flying monkey of the narcissist because there's no other way to get their needs for attention, love, and respect met. Their role is to keep all the other children in line with the needs of the narcissistic parent, and in doing so receive the positive attention they desperately crave, while wielding power over the other children. The sad thing is, the flying monkey is also a victim of the narcissistic parent.

I'm saying this because I literally believe Billy Corgan attracts victims of childhood narcissistic abuse and the same patterns of behavior get played out within the fan base. Billy is essentially repeating the cycle of abuse with his fans.

 
Funbags is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:07 PM   #2062
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Funbags's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,418
Default

THIS IS MY THESIS

 
Funbags is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:52 PM   #2063
MonumentsRocks
Ownz
 
Posts: 633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
They ARE doing old dad rock now no one wants to buy.
And Corgan is still showing his antics in every embarassing way without limitations.
Obviously D'arcy was the only one in the band able to have some influence on it for a while.
And James alone is delivering more than 2% to the sound of the band. Recognizable at today's ticket sales...
There are bands and individual musicians who make a good living who still sell far fewer tickets and records than the Pumpkins today, and I don't know how you define dad rock, but just by virtue of their selling less than the Pumkins' dad rock, it's arguably no better. A lot of the music is certainly not better, but it frequently caters to some particular demographic, and arguably the same is to of the Pumpkins now. It doesn't sell a lot, but it sells reliably. What you call failure looks like the natural progression of things, to me.

 
MonumentsRocks is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:56 PM   #2064
MonumentsRocks
Ownz
 
Posts: 633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
I think you may actually be Clay tbh. Celebrating their fandom?

Netphoria isn't mocking Clay for being a fan of the band, or at least I'm not. I'm mocking him because he's clearly motivated by receiving positive attention from Billy. Clay is one of those people who bosses everyone around to get a pat on the head from Daddy -and then uses that power to make people respect him.

It's what often happens in the families of narcissists; one child will become the flying monkey of the narcissist because there's no other way to get their needs for attention, love, and respect met. Their role is to keep all the other children in line with the needs of the narcissistic parent, and in doing so receive the positive attention they desperately crave, while wielding power over the other children. The sad thing is, the flying monkey is also a victim of the narcissistic parent.

I'm saying this because I literally believe Billy Corgan attracts victims of childhood narcissistic abuse and the same patterns of behavior get played out within the fan base. Billy is essentially repeating the cycle of abuse with his fans.
I agree with you, but the scorn from this forum isn't measured or in kind, it's just a shit slinging contest. Deep down, the forum is happy that Clay exists, because it gives everyone a reason to throw shit around.

 
MonumentsRocks is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:05 PM   #2065
Oklahoma Sexual
Ownz
 
Oklahoma Sexual's Avatar
 
Posts: 982
Default

guy posts on forum to explain how posting on the forum is self serving

 
Oklahoma Sexual is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:28 PM   #2066
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster
 
butthurt's Avatar
 
Location: on the internet
Posts: 1,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayed23 View Post
If someone is in a public setting, you absolutely can legally take their picture without their knowledge or consent.

You just canít use it to make profit.
He wasn't in a public setting. He was on private property.

 
butthurt is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:20 AM   #2067
Corgan's Bluff
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Corgan's Bluff's Avatar
 
Location: Golf club war zone next door.
Posts: 4,134
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentsRocks View Post
There are bands and individual musicians who make a good living who still sell far fewer tickets and records than the Pumpkins today, and I don't know how you define dad rock, but just by virtue of their selling less than the Pumkins' dad rock, it's arguably no better. A lot of the music is certainly not better, but it frequently caters to some particular demographic, and arguably the same is to of the Pumpkins now. It doesn't sell a lot, but it sells reliably. What you call failure looks like the natural progression of things, to me.
"Monuments" did sell so bad that Corgan even wanted to stop recording new songs under the Pumpkins name. With one week only in the charts "Shiny" might do not better.
The Pumpkins are only selling tickets nowadays, for mostly oldie shows.

 
Corgan's Bluff is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:00 AM   #2068
Mals Marola
Minion of Satan
 
Mals Marola's Avatar
 
Location: Church of United Bald Lords, praying for your souls
Posts: 8,534
Default

lmao this photo thing is really here to stay huh

really hoped my ducks would move the conversation along once & for all

oh well

happy holidays!

 
Mals Marola is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:10 AM   #2069
MonumentsRocks
Ownz
 
Posts: 633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by butthurt View Post
He wasn't in a public setting. He was on private property.
Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

 
MonumentsRocks is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:13 AM   #2070
MonumentsRocks
Ownz
 
Posts: 633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Sexual View Post
guy posts on forum to explain how posting on the forum is self serving
Some say there is no such thing as altruism.

 
MonumentsRocks is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
There should be magnet linked torrents on spfc.org to demos, etc. CrabbMan Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion 596 04-27-2019 10:32 AM
Billy's weight gain ohnoitsbonnie Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion 55 05-09-2018 07:38 AM
So when is Jimmy coming back? Elphenor Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion 36 03-08-2018 11:35 PM
An album between Siamese Dream and MCIS with the Gravity songs would've been amazing. BurtSampson Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion 41 09-17-2016 12:31 PM
Billy Corgan should unite with Buckethead morespsoon Pumpkins Archive 16 02-28-2007 02:51 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:34 AM.




Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2019