Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #31
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

probs just blocked the Fall of Hame on instagram

take that fall of hame!!

Old 10-10-2018, 11:04 AM   #32
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
probs just blocked the Fall of Hame on instagram

take that fall of hame!!
LOL! I bet he did. I hope some people ask him about it on Insta. I'd love to read his answers.

Hey Billy! I loved Silvery Something and Solaris! Great tour too! But did it hurt to to find out that you didn't get nominated to the the Hall of Fame?

I don't give a fuck what people who live within the constructs of bullshit, archaic tropes do to exclude me. Couldn't care less about those talent-free motherfuckers and I hope they're all pleased with their meaningless existence of deciding who is and isn't worthy of being enshrined in a monolith to mediocrity in a shithole like Cleveland. I can't believe anyone would care at all about that, and that's why it doesn't bother me in any fucking way whatsoever.
Also you're BLOCKED

5 minutes later...

Hey Billy! Fuck the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame for not nominating you! What do they know, anyway! Bunch of fucking idiots who probably never picked up an instrument. Not living legends like you!

You are a truly gracious and beautiful human being and it's people like you that make us keep going. The Lord bless you and keep you.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:58 AM   #33
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeadofnight View Post
but he will say the opposite if/when they are nominated.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #34
SPLATTER
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentsRocks View Post
The real "Rock n Roll" hall of fame comes in the form of documentaries that are made decades later that attempt to explain what happened with music in a given decade. Like I need to see some documentaries on the 60's to put it all together, because all I really know is "the Beatles killed everybody, the end."

So the question is, can you tell the story of the 90's without ever mentioning Smashing Pumpkins, and I dare say yes, you can, because even though there were monster band in '96, I don't know that they really "influenced" the sound that followed. Billy had a whiny voice that nobody was keen to imitate. The Pumkins pretty much retained ownership of the Big Muff 'wall of sound' tone, nobody really copied that, either. In fact, around the end of '96, alt-rock started fading from the radio. Even Billy recognized this, hence he made Adore. I suppose if you made a documentary about music dying, you could make a stronger case that the Smashing Pumpkins helped kill alt-rock, somehow.
interesting take.

you could def say that once they peaked the music industry and fans looked around and thought 'dang, this is the best we got? time to look elsewhere and move on from rock'

Old 10-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #35
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLATTER View Post
interesting take.

you could def say that once they peaked the music industry and fans looked around and thought 'dang, this is the best we got? time to look elsewhere and move on from rock'
I like to think Smashing Pumpkins did it alt-rock so well that all the other alt-rock underwhelmed by comparison.

This would be a fun one to talk to Billy Corgan about, he'd be like

Old 10-10-2018, 12:58 PM   #36
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
Anyway, I don't give a shit that SP didn't make the list but I truly hope Billy smashed some instruments backstage when he heard the news.
he would have needed to be backstage somewhere, which implies people were in front of the stage waiting for him to play after forking over some money. sadly, SAOSB is over so not possible.

perhaps in the studio with dick durbin and belinda rawberry

Old 10-10-2018, 04:03 PM   #37
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Sexual View Post
he would have needed to be backstage somewhere, which implies people were in front of the stage waiting for him to play after forking over some money. sadly, SAOSB is over so not possible.

perhaps in the studio with dick durbin and belinda rawberry
As long as some expensive equipment was destroyed in a rage, I'm happy.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:54 AM   #38
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I guess it’s easier to get into the Hall of Fame nowadays than into the SAD MACHINES fan group:

651 Members
+0 in the last 30 days

Especially after the big “reunion” tour and the announced release of new recordings one could have expect a lot of new members in the most “elite” SP fan group.

Do they have a new lie detector test to prove the absolute readiness to self-sacrifice for William Patrick Corgan? Have they sorted out some suspect members to guarantee a pure fellowship?

Group Rules from the Admins

1 No Consequence of Sound, BlastEcho, Alt Nation

These “media” sources are not our friends. Posts by these sources are banned and will be removed immediately.

These sources are known for having been a platform for D’arcy to speak out her opinion about the relationship with her old bandmates. So this spell is another step of oppression to avoid any critical discussion about the band situation.

As this group of fanatics has a strong “moral” ideology:
How have they not banned Netphoria as a source of evil yet?
Well, there might be further rules mentioned, only visible in the closed group…

Old 10-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #39
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

I'm fascinated by the idea of someone saying "You know what, Facebook isn't shitty enough — what if I joined a group where complete strangers posted pictures of their baby in a Smashing Pumpkins onesie, or drawings of Mike Byrne, or something, I have no idea, twenty times a day, directly to my news feed"

Anyway I hope Janet gets inducted, go JJ

Old 10-11-2018, 10:02 AM   #40
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

I hope Janet gets inducted as well.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:59 PM   #41
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
I saw some stray internet comment incredulous that Kraftwerk were in the HoF. It wasn't some oldie yelling at the clouds about "real music" either. This person did NOT like Kraftwerk and I was just surprised someone had a real negative opinion on them.
Maybe I'm too young but I just always thought they were under the radar enough that your average person wouldn't even have an opinion about them.
Honestly probably some "rockist" who thinks electronic music isn't "real."

Old 10-11-2018, 03:02 PM   #42
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Talking

Quote:
LMAO why does this dude hate women so much?

Old 10-11-2018, 03:05 PM   #43
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

I've always felt that most electronic music (outside of avant garde/noise stuff) was more musical than a lot of rock, mostly because there were less limitations I guess?

In any case the above story reminded me of the lats Super Bowl half-time show, which I had the pleasure of sharing the room with some dude who asked if JT was even "real music" because there were backing tracks involved or some shit

That kind of thinking baffles me & frankly just seems kind of suffocating

Old 10-11-2018, 03:28 PM   #44
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Well, to put it simply, Janet Jackson is not rock'n'roll. Maybe some session guy laid down a mean lead guitar on one of her 80's pop hits, still not rock'n'roll.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janet_Jackson
Musical career
Genres
R&B pop hip hop dance

Old 10-11-2018, 03:43 PM   #45
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Quote:
Well, to put it simply, Janet Jackson is not rock'n'roll. Maybe some session guy laid down a mean lead guitar on one of her 80's pop hits, still not rock'n'roll.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janet_Jackson
Musical career
Genres
R&B pop hip hop dance
LMAO Wikipedia.

Other "non-rock" inductees as per Wikipedia:

Aretha Franklin
Marvin Gaye
Run-DMC
Stevie Wonder
Public Enemy
Bob Marley
NWA
ABBA

and plenty more. The "rock n roll" part is irrelevant, the HOF is to acknowledge legendary musicians. Focusing on the "rock n roll" part is the low-hanging fruit and it says more about what people think about women and non-white people than it does about the nominees.

Last edited by pale_princess : 10-11-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:54 PM   #46
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

That just makes the R&RHoF even more terrible than I already knew it to be.

> Focusing on the "rock n roll" part is the low-hanging fruit and it says more about what people think about women and non-white people than it does about the nominees.

That doesn't make sense. Hendrix is in there. Joan Baez is in there. I could appreciate them having trouble determining where blues or country western stops and rock starts. But again, that's why the R&RHoF is so terrible... they start with an exclusionary premise, only to discover later that they're bad people, but feel they must carry on anyway. I would burn it down if it were not mostly made of inflammable materials.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #47
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Angry

Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 10-11-2018 at 04:56 PM.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:00 PM   #48
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Talking

Quote:
That just makes the R&RHoF even more terrible than I already knew it to be.

> Focusing on the "rock n roll" part is the low-hanging fruit and it says more about what people think about women and non-white people than it does about the nominees.

That doesn't make sense. Hendrix is in there. Joan Baez is in there. I could appreciate them having trouble determining where blues or country western stops and rock starts. But again, that's why the R&RHoF is so terrible... they start with an exclusionary premise, only to discover later that they're bad people, but feel they must carry on anyway. I would burn it down if it were not mostly made of inflammable materials.
Cool, you can name two non-white people you approve of as inductees go off

Old 10-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #49
slayed23
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_princess View Post
LMAO Wikipedia.

Other "non-rock" inductees as per Wikipedia:

Aretha Franklin
Marvin Gaye
Run-DMC
Stevie Wonder
Public Enemy
Bob Marley
NWA
ABBA

and plenty more. The "rock n roll" part is irrelevant, the HOF is to acknowledge legendary musicians. Focusing on the "rock n roll" part is the low-hanging fruit and it says more about what people think about women and non-white people than it does about the nominees.
So then you wouldn't have a problem with Mozart being included?

Old 10-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #50
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

LMAO nope!

Madonna is in the HOF. Her WOC contemporary, Janet, should be, too.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:50 PM   #51
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_princess View Post
Cool, you can name two non-white people you approve of as inductees go off
Rock and roll is mostly made up of white guys, that's not a result of racism, nor sexism. Rock music isn't the only musical genre that trends a certain way, in that regard.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #52
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayed23 View Post
Mozart already lived a Rock'n'Roll life before rock was born.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #53
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayed23 View Post
I have a feeling that when certain key people succumb to old age, it will be renamed to reflect what it has already apparently become.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #54
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Talking

Quote:
Rock and roll is mostly made up of white guys, that's not a result of racism, nor sexism. Rock music isn't the only musical genre that trends a certain way, in that regard.
thanks for #mansplaining rock to me without acknowledging that multiple hip hop, r&b, soul, pop etc acts are in the HOF already so JJ's nom is perfectly valid and important.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:58 PM   #55
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

The things you ppl argue about. Can we please focus on the correct usage of apostrophe's and the supremacy of BORIS?

Old 10-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #56
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Arrow

CLEVELAND, OH. (JUNE 19, 2017) –
https://www.rockhall.com/rock-roll-h...september-2017

Zutto rokku to roro de!
As part of a larger initiative to expand its mission to engage, teach and inspire through the power of rock and roll, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame has entered into a license agreement to create the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Japan. The inaugural exhibition will open in Tokyo in September 2017. A permanent space will open at a later date featuring content as well as traveling exhibits from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:12 PM   #57
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

>As part of a larger initiative to expand its mission to engage, teach and inspire through the power of rock and roll

I was looking at this list again:

Aretha Franklin
Marvin Gaye
Run-DMC
Stevie Wonder
Public Enemy
Bob Marley
NWA
ABBA

All but one of these not-rock'n'roll artists is black. I wonder if White Guilt hasn't played a roll in their stretching the parameters of their "mission".

If they were sincere in their embrace of tangentially related music genres, Garth Brooks would not only be in the HoF, but would be entitled to have his own wing in the building.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:31 PM   #58
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Bob Marley had an English father...

Old 10-11-2018, 05:37 PM   #59
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

That's interesting, because I thought he and Lenny Kravitz looked rather alike, and it turns out they both have black mothers and Caucasian fathers.

But anyway, the current protocol is that if you're half black, you're as good as black. Thusly, Mariah Carey is black.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:11 PM   #60
slayed23
Ownz

Quote:
That's interesting, because I thought he and Lenny Kravitz looked rather alike, and it turns out they both have black mothers and Caucasian fathers.

But anyway, the current protocol is that if you're half black, you're as good as black. Thusly, Mariah Carey is black.
And Obama.