Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2017, 07:48 AM   #31
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

You know what the HST needs? A lens that would give those long exposure pics some more noise

Old 08-10-2017, 08:00 AM   #32
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Are we really that blessed with elected officials responsible and consistent enough to effectively carry out this next-level obscurantism for the supposed net benefit of humankind?

I should have taken that job with the Hubble Space Telescope. They weren't offering much, but I never did factor in the possibility of hush money.
It's not hush money. They off the fools who try to go public.

Why do you think there was a job opening in the first place?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...s-cat-face.jpg

Old 08-10-2017, 08:06 AM   #33
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
Like if aliens landed on earth on a major city and it became huge news, most of the people would go crazy, religions would crumble, humanity would redefine it's position in the infinite universe and chaos would ensue.
the aliens wouldn't let that happen. i've heard they're super nice.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:06 AM   #34
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
the aliens wouldn't let that happen. i've heard they're super nice.
Careful! They could be watching

Old 08-10-2017, 08:11 AM   #35
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Humans are naturally immortal but everybody ends up stumbling upon the alien truth sooner or later and has to go.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:17 AM   #36
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

https://2ch.hk/news/arch/2016-11-23/...2392739700.jpg

Old 08-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #37
run2pee
Minion of Satan

A close childhood friend of mine swears he was abducted by aliens. He is a meth addict, but the abduction purportedly occurred during a time period he was clean and living with his family. He won't talk about it unless prompted, and gets genuinely tearful and panicky when he recounts it

So, basically, I can confirm that aliens definitely exist and that they also have abduct at least 1 kindhearted meth addict

Old 08-10-2017, 02:46 PM   #38
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
this is possible but still unlikely based on the size of the universe. there are probably billions of life-supporting worlds like Earth, and even FTL travel is not instantaneous. Huge distances could still take a long time for them to traverse. I believe that there is almost certainly a lot of life out there, but I find the chances that it has come here or will ever come here to be pretty slim
Say a planet developed the means to launch a probe that would land on another planet. That probe has the ability to make two more probes, that would each be sent to yet another planet, each making two more probes.

So, exponential planetary probing, essentially.

This process could allow every planet in the galaxy to be probed in less than the time that speciation tends to occur.

Even if we haven't been visited by alien organisms, why don't we see evidence of their existence through their probes? Even if only one civilization in the galaxy were able to do this, wouldn't we encounter something of theirs by now?

My personal solution to the Fermi Paradox: life forms need an environment that changes slowly enough that they can adapt and continue to exist. It may be the case that it is very rare for any planet to maintain a constant environment long enough for anything that may be living on it to develop to the point of mastering interstellar travel. Nearest station is 4 light-years away. It'd take a while to travel that distance, or to even be able to collect the energy necessary for doing so. Maybe nobody lives long enough to build a Dyson sphere.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:41 PM   #39
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoitsbonnie View Post
Considering the scale of the universe/galaxy/local group/solar system and our life span(s) and the laws of physics I don't believe there is a more "advanced" (what does this mean?) species that we could ever be aware of and vice versa. Also time is really long and everything takes so fucken long to happen. Like I don't even entertain the idea.

From this, I can presume if we are ever told of an alien invasion, you'd be in the Von Braun camp of it being a hoax.

Ditto RBG...

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty sp View Post
There's at least a hundred other cultures out there

7 occupied continents in the universe, I think not

and one for the "They're Here!!!" crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoitsbonnie View Post
To see a rocky planet with biology?

This planet is rich with resources and a garden of souls, the most coveted among them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Theres 7 billion of us and we're weak af and we taste good

Indeed. It's why the Hawaiians enjoy spam so much, its in the cannibalistic roots of the Islands. Apparently the taste are quite similar.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #40
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
It's not hush money. They off the fools who try to go public.

Why do you think there was a job opening in the first place?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...s-cat-face.jpg

And sometimes you're told the only way out, is the way through...

http://www.alienscientist.com/pictures/lazar.jpg

Old 08-10-2017, 09:54 PM   #41
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
A close childhood friend of mine swears he was abducted by aliens. He is a meth addict, but the abduction purportedly occurred during a time period he was clean and living with his family. He won't talk about it unless prompted, and gets genuinely tearful and panicky when he recounts it

So, basically, I can confirm that aliens definitely exist and that they also have abduct at least 1 kindhearted meth addict

If you haven't seen this movie, you may want to give it a shot. If you're a Milla Jovovich fan and haven't seen it yet, then shame on you! It's a fascinating tale and you'll never think about Nome, Alaska the same.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1CsklnODnL.jpg

Old 08-10-2017, 10:01 PM   #42
The Omega Concern
Banned

P.S.

Flat Earth is for pussies. Concave Earth, that's where its at:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Gr-r3gPLVjY/hqdefault.jpg

lol

Old 08-10-2017, 10:32 PM   #43
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omega Concern View Post
It's why the Hawaiians enjoy spam so much, its in the cannibalistic roots of the Islands. Apparently the taste are quite similar.
Okay, so a Hawaiian born today likes the taste of spam because it reminds him of the human flesh his great-great-grandfather once dined on?

Old 08-10-2017, 10:44 PM   #44
buzzard
Minion of Satan

I guess I can't think of any other reason why tinned meat might have become popular on a remote island that was probably pretty poor.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:38 PM   #45
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Okay, so a Hawaiian born today likes the taste of spam because it reminds him of the human flesh his great-great-grandfather once dined on?

Nah, not quite like that. It's been a big part of the food culture for sure since WWII there, when during the war it proliferated. There's very few pure blood Hawaiians anymore as it is anyway, but during the war they all ate it up.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:40 PM   #46
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Historic ties to cannibalism explain what aspect of all that, exactly?

Old 08-11-2017, 12:03 AM   #47
The Omega Concern
Banned

There's something of an urban legend surrounding spam tasting like human flesh and its played up a bit in the Islands, half-jokingly. The original Hawaiians were cannibals until the King put a stop to it in the late 1800's (they cooked Captain Cook for his bones), but they were still quite a few pure and half-bloods 80 years ago.

My father's side of the family is from there. I grew up there young until 4th grade, then moved back much later and graduated high school. I dead-panned an inside joke of sorts, but its just as believed on the islands as the Ola-Mana man and the Kahuna.

Last edited by The Omega Concern : 08-11-2017 at 12:08 AM.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:19 AM   #48
buzzard
Minion of Satan

The last time I saw anybody discussing purity and "half-bloods" like that, I was arch moderator of the Blade forums.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:29 AM   #49
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I was a moderator at Stormfront when I encountered those terms, but the topic of discussion was still Blade III, interestingly enough.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:22 AM   #50
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Half-caste is what I called myself for a long time, until my white friends told me it was an offensive term. My full blood Samoan friends and relatives called me Afakasi.

It was a biological description. Like, a dog with one poodle parent and one Labrador parent is a labradoodle.

A kid with one Samoan parent and one non-Samoan parent was called an afakasi.

I heard it was pork that tasted like human flesh and man do my Samoan family love pork. Cannibalism really skeeves me out but I guess waste not, want not.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:14 AM   #51
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Long pork they call it in the biz.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:52 AM   #52
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omega Concern View Post
P.S.

Flat Earth is for pussies. Concave Earth, that's where its at:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Gr-r3gPLVjY/hqdefault.jpg

lol
I know we had our differences in the past, but this is amazing!

Thank you

Old 08-11-2017, 08:54 AM   #53
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Remember when Ethan Hawke and that guy from the Bon Jovi music video had to eat dead friends and family while stranded in the Andes?

Old 08-11-2017, 05:19 PM   #54
The Omega Concern
Banned

The guy from the Bon Jovi music video? You mean, Bon Jovi?

Old 08-12-2017, 02:00 AM   #55
buzzard
Minion of Satan

http://i.imgur.com/AA9rsjQ.jpg