Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2016, 09:57 PM   #121
jczeroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
Aren't you required to publish and stuff?

Like in psych departments, they aren't really professors per se. They're researchers who also teach a couple of classes and supervise dissertations and theses. So really they need to either publish scholarly articles/books/etc and/or do research that gets funding from somewhere to keep their jobs. Some of it is surely luck - there's a lot of people and few positions. But they definitely have to do publishable work to keep their jobs
Oh yes. I'm not saying I haven't accomplished things to earn the job. I'm saying that about 1,000 other people have similar accomplishments and only about 10% of them have jobs like mine. The rest are working at Panera. By luck I mean that there is no rhyme or reason to who that lucky 10% are.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:53 PM   #122
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
The doctor was actually asking me if I am comfortable taking meds from day one, and seems open to a lot of treatment possibilities and wasn't telling me that I would just be all better if I slept more and ate right or anything like that. I just didn't want to get on meds right away, but then I decided to give it a try and I'm on sertraline right now. Been on it just over a week, since my visit to the doc. I'm supposed to see her again next week.

I dunno, I haven't noticed that much of a change yet. I'm guessing it's too early for the effects to be noticeable.
very glad to hear this. yeah, give it some time for sure.

Quote:
Sounds like it was a good paper. Have you got any feedback yet?
Yes, he corrected about 10 little grammar things (semi-colons etc), other than that said it was great and a good start to a promising honors thesis. it ended up being about 75% about game theory and then basic evolutionary ideas of why we are deceptive (impression management - for social position, mating, and material resources and to avoid conflict were my main ones). And then I kinda got into when children learn to lie and what they lie about and some studies that show that kids who lied in certain experiments had higher IQs and better executive functioning and better immune system functioning and another diary study where people claimed most of their lies were for pro social reasons, which were true but i also made the point that it also was protective of the liar, because it avoided conflict. etc etc etc.
Quote:
Next week I have my thesis proposal, and my thesis idea isn't even all that clear. I wanted to do some sort of experimental design that would have to do with implicit biases and policy preferences (had a bunch of different ideas, but couldn't decide on which I wanted to do), but my supervisor said it'd be hard to get the funding for an experiment. So, instead I may have to do a metastudy on experiments that already exist. That sounds boring as fuck but I already suspected that I wouldn't be able to do an experiment at the undergrad level.

Problem is, I would think that I would need to have a narrower scope and look at implicit biases in one specific issue (like how priming gender affects people's opinions on this issue or how priming race affects opinions on that issue), but my supervisor is actually saying that it should be more broad. I don't see how that will work. Like, I'm just going to write about biases and politics in general? How will I synthesize all these studies when they are all talking about different issues? It seems like I actually need a research question, because the question "how do implicit biases affect politics" is just way too broad. I dunno, I don't really trust my supervisor's instincts on this, but she's the expert.
I will be doing a literature review, but not in the sense of metastudy or trends or anything. I'm doing deception but it's my own narrative, using studies to prove my points or at least show why they may have merit. Basically deception is nature's basic orientation is my main idea I guess.

My university is big into undergrad research and I probably could get approved to do an experiment but I don't really have something I could do easily, without some kind of diary study or by using confederates so I'm not even going to try. Maybe she wants you to do something more like what I'm doing? Because you could write quite a bit just explaining what implicit biases are, the evidence for different kinds, the ones that affect people the most at this period in time, etc. I mean implicit bias is a super interesting topic, I'm sure you could find an angle like you said. Maybe she'll be able to be clearer in your meeting.

I also didn't have to do any kind of formal proposal, it just kinda worked out how it's worked out. That sounds nerve-wracking. But you got this.

Last edited by reprise85 : 12-01-2016 at 10:59 PM.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #123
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

let's have an end of semester post party

Old 12-05-2016, 04:02 AM   #124
Ram27
dumb

Hey hey

I have a very annoying situation if anyone has any advice.

So I'm a CS major, and there's this one class I need to take, CS251, that I was enrolled in this semester but I dropped it because a) I couldn't stand the professor and b) I couldn't stand the material. At the time I was thinking about changing majors, but now I've decided to stay in CS (because the other CS course I was taking this semester was amazing and made me realize why I chose this major in the first place etc etc).

So now I have to take this fucking course in order to move on with my degree. Thing is, not only is it full for this semester, but it's directly conflicting with the most amazing class ever (that I took this semester and can repeat for credit). It's a film class where we sign up to broadcast our school's sports games. Coolest fucking thing I've ever done, can't tell you enough how much I love this class.

So there's a time conflict, and I'm required to get permission from both professors to take both. We only do stuff in class for this film class a couple days of the semester, and that professor gave me permission to skip most days. But now I need permission from the CS professor [a different guy than before BTW]. I've emailed him (on Friday afternoon) and he hasn't responded, 3 days later. And I have no idea who this guy is, I've never met or heard of him. So it was already kind of awkward emailing, and if I have to email again or go ask in person it's really gonna suck.

I would be super pissed if I had to miss out on this film class anyway, let alone for a course I already hate. I genuinely don't think I could sit in lectures about data structures knowing I could be doing something I really love instead.

So I have to pray this CS professor responds (or email him again and bug him more). If I can get him to respond, if he says yes all is well*. If not I'm fucked: I can just take the film class and not the CS class, which would delay my graduation but tbh feels worth it. I can take the CS class and not the film class which would really suck.

*well I still have to fuck around even trying to get in the course cause it's full right now. It's awkward needing two overrides for one course
______

There are like 8 things going on in this scenario that are all really irritating and confusing. Sorry if I explained poorly

Old 12-05-2016, 05:48 AM   #125
Cool As Ice Cream

why do you get to do a film class (twice, even - what's the point of doing it again?) when you're doing a cs major?

you should definitely tell the second professor that you hate his course. this way he'll better understand where you're coming from, and allow you to skip his classes.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:50 AM   #126
Cool As Ice Cream

what other relevant classes can you choose from?
any baking? repairing bikes? solving crossword puzzles? going for walks in the forest? reading french poetry?

Old 12-05-2016, 06:16 AM   #127
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Until you explain the acronym, I'm going to have to assume that you're a Cool Story major.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:40 AM   #128
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

computer science i think

i don't really have any advice though, good luck

Old 12-05-2016, 11:19 AM   #129
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
why do you get to do a film class (twice, even - what's the point of doing it again?) when you're doing a cs major?

you should definitely tell the second professor that you hate his course. this way he'll better understand where you're coming from, and allow you to skip his classes.
Cause it's really fun (and an easy A).

lol

Humanities classes are more fun than STEM classes, and seeing as I need to take enough credits to be a full time student every semester, I'm going take as many fun classes as I can to maintain my sanity and GPA.

Also, no idea how but that whole mess got sorted out overnight and I'm registered in both classes now. Cool.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:49 AM   #130
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
BUT i did miss a teeny tiny assignment. i am taking an online course and in addition to submitting our own work, we are to respond to at least 2 other students (this is "class participation") and between everything else i had to do, it just slipped through the cracks. i am- or was- pretty disappointed in myself, but thankfully i've already done some extra credit for that course. it's still a bummer, though.
I'm taking a course with that too. Super annoying. It's a worse forum than netphoria. And every post i have to dick around and be like "I agree with most of your points but I think that Billy Corgan does not look like a woman because, as noted in this article (http://lemonparty.org), there is one noted occurrence of Corgan and guitarist James Iha wanking each other off....." It's the most unnatural 'discussion' ever. Just make me write an essay...I can't think of anything to say to these people

Old 12-05-2016, 12:17 PM   #131
Cool As Ice Cream

"doing extra credit"

this also sounds weird to me. what kind of "education" is this? is it considered academic? is it actually worth something?

Old 12-05-2016, 01:36 PM   #132
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Quote:

Elective courses give you a more rounded education than just studying what is relevant to your major. I wish I knew that I liked geology before I took those italian classes

Old 12-05-2016, 01:39 PM   #133
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Quote:
"doing extra credit"

this also sounds weird to me. what kind of "education" is this? is it considered academic? is it actually worth something?
The only class I ever had "extra credit" in was a physical geography class. I wrote an essay on the aral sea and it was graded like an extra homework grade (100%).

Old 12-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #134
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
I'm taking a course with that too. Super annoying. It's a worse forum than netphoria. And every post i have to dick around and be like "I agree with most of your points but I think that Billy Corgan does not look like a woman because, as noted in this article (http://lemonparty.org), there is one noted occurrence of Corgan and guitarist James Iha wanking each other off....." It's the most unnatural 'discussion' ever. Just make me write an essay...I can't think of anything to say to these people
most of them have no posting etiquette either. they'll just post a wall of text with no indents or paragraphs. i have to go through each trying to find one that isn't a pain to read. and some don't even adhere to the posting requirements and make a 100 word post when she asked for 500 and don't even directly respond to the topic.

i'd rather just write an essay myself.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:08 PM   #135
yo soy el mejor

next week is the last week. any pizza parties coming up?

Old 12-06-2016, 12:43 AM   #136
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

tomorrow is last day of classes. then i have a final thurs the 8th, fri the 9th, and tues the 13th

I was on the waitlist for one of my classes for next semester, but got off of it today. So classes are all set now:

Neuropsychology
Psychology and the Law (aka Forensic Psychology)
Honors Critical Questions in Psychology: Crime and Violence
Personality Testing and Measurement

All of my classes are on Tues/Thurs which is a good and bad... especially Tuesday is rough, as the testing class is only once per week from 7:10 to 10pm on a different campus. So that day I have neuro at 8, psych and law at 9:30, honors crit ques at 4pm, and that class on broward campus at 7:10

The schedule sucks with all that space but I can always come home at 11 and get back at 4, more likely I'll stay and study a lot those days. I just really wanted to take these classes... they're all good for grad school and pertinent to my career goals so whatever, I decided to do it. I expect it to be much tougher than this semester, especially neuropsych

Old 12-18-2016, 02:19 PM   #137
yo soy el mejor

yesterday was the last day of the semester. i will be taking 19 credit hours next semester and i'm excited about that.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:46 PM   #138
yo soy el mejor

jesus, how long does it take to post final grades? i always forget.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:53 PM   #139
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

my last one finally posted today. all my other teachers had them in last friday

Old 12-20-2016, 04:58 PM   #140
yo soy el mejor

i think my classes ended later than yours. my weekday classes ended december 14th and my saturday class on the 17th.

how long was your wait period?

Old 12-20-2016, 05:03 PM   #141
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

yeah, my last class was the 6th, finals started on the 8th and ended on the 14th. grades were due the 19th

i think florida just tends to be earlier with all school things for some reason. our classes start again on the jan 9th (though my first class is the 10th). i think it may be an attempt (in south florida anyway) to inc.lude Hanukkah in winter break (although this year it starts, I think, on Christmas Eve - really late, sometimes it even starts in Nov).

Old 12-20-2016, 05:15 PM   #142
yo soy el mejor

oof. that's so soon. i could change my schedule at work for more hours, but then i'd just have to change it again next month. so i just wrote a note for the girls i work with to feel free to ask me to cover them if they need/want a break. i'm already working christmas eve and new year's day.

last week i had an appt at the transfer center and during our conversation i mentioned to the lady i made straight a's, but it took a lot of work and stress. i told her i don't manage my time the best way possible because i can be disorganized and not dedicated to using my planner (i need a planner). i would like to make better use of my time so that when i'm chillin', i'm not worried or stressed in the back of my mind that something needs to be done.

she told me i could use the wellness center for time management support, which i did not know. i told her i thought it was only for if i was feeling unwell emotionally or physically. anyway, i totally plan on using that next semester at least once or twice to get tips and motivation. i have an hourly 2017 planner waiting on standby.

as much as i appreciate a break, i am looking forward to getting back to school. ya feel me?

Last edited by yo soy el mejor : 12-20-2016 at 05:23 PM.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:30 PM   #143
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

yeah i'm working more for three weeks. although i got a cold and called out today like an asshole.

i do want to get back to school. this semester i never really got into it like i usually do. next semester should be more challenging and i am trying to hit the ground running. i am going to enjoy these few weeks and try not to just dissociate them away like i usually do. unfortunately since i cancelled my therapy on monday i'm missing 2 1/2 weeks which is generally really bad for me (i go twice a week) but I want to really do something good for myself over this time so that it's not wasted. maybe actually start writing like i should. i dunno, something.

what i should really do is REALLY clean my house really well like i haven't done in such a long time and that it desperately needs. it could really be done in one day or a weekend, but i just am not motivated to do things like that and i'd be happy if i just got it all done over the entire break. that would be so good for me.

/goes to play more fallout new vegas

Old 12-20-2016, 07:51 PM   #144
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I pulled out of a paper, which I'll now have to do next semester. 88 for screenwriting, so my weighted average mark (WAM) is now sitting at 84.5 for this year, a mere 0.5 from the coveted High Distinction WAM, or HD WAM.

Had to hand in a very rough draft for screenwriting...couldn't keep looking at it, and had no more energy to give it, and it was already two weeks past the official due date. 11,000 words.

They're not grades that I'm proud of, but now that I have kids and no family support from siblings or grandparents, and I'm still trying to manage my bipolar and then my younger son was diagnosed with epilepsy after trips to the paediatrician and neurologist and an EEG (and began medication - epilim, which was a massive trigger for me, being bipolar), and my husband broke his leg, and I have a very-part-time job...I'm trying my best to accept that it is what it is.

My screenwriting teacher said my screenplay (a pilot for a tv series) was powerful and compelling and deserves to be seen. So that was nice.

I got the Korean wunderkind to write coverage and he did an amazing job. He was ruthless and pointed out all the flaws, so I know what to fix.

Screenwriting teacher knows a producer looking for a new project at the end of January. Our little screenwriting class has formed a club that meets at an arty bar near the uni once a week, and our teacher comes once a month or so. We're doing table reads and trying to encourage each other through the brutal life of being a writer in a commercial and expensive city.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:55 PM   #145
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

good for you, Vix. That kind of schooling sounds so hard but you're doing so well! You should be proud

Old 12-20-2016, 11:27 PM   #146
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
My screenwriting teacher said my screenplay (a pilot for a tv series) was powerful and compelling and deserves to be seen. So that was nice.
Sounds like you're doing exceedingly well in spite of it all, so be proud.

P.S. Let me read it, you swine.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:40 PM   #147
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I'm sure Vixnix's screenplays are pretty good but I'm also wondering if they have her trademark weird comma placement or if that's just an internet thing.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:48 PM   #148
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Shouldn't there be a comma ahead of "but"?

Old 12-21-2016, 12:49 PM   #149
Disco King
Minion of Satan

...yeah

Old 12-21-2016, 09:27 PM   #150
yo soy el mejor

i found out today i got an A in a class i had a B in during midterm. that was the only class i was concerned about, so i'm confident i got A's across the board. being this good a student is completely foreign to me, but my therapist says one day i'll just have to accept that about myself. my gpa is gonna be through the roof if i can get a handle on time management. it's 3.6 (not factoring in this semester's grades) right now and my transfer adviser says i should have no issues being accepted to the public policy program at a local university.

i'm pretty proud of myself.