Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #31
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Adore could have been made without James easily. Seriously, I am starting to think you might not even know what you're talking about. Anyone can use a fuckung ebow dude. Adore was basically a solo project, kinda like a precursor to TFE.

Everyone knows that billy always was a control freak in the studio. He did 90% of everything minus the drums of course.

Doing subtle ebow noises for shame isn't unique or hard to do. You have to be trolling right?
And yet TFE is mostly shit and Adore is an artistic masterpiece.

Whenever you're listening to modern SP and you're like "Man, I kinda like this but it's just missing something"
That something is James.

Really you just have look at and hear Jeff play to see how important James was.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #32
Elphenor
Braindead

God I hate Jeff.

All that boring ass textbook wanking. Nothing he has ever played is interesting or memorable in any way.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:00 PM   #33
slunken
Virgo

I will agree with you there. It's academia vs soul

Old 05-25-2014, 11:01 PM   #34
slunken
Virgo

When Jeff plays it's like a math equation. James was bb king style where one note meant everything

Old 05-25-2014, 11:03 PM   #35
slunken
Virgo

As far as that " one note on the ebow" talk above, it's all about vibrato. Some got it and some don't. It's soul. Ask your gf, she'll tell you.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:26 AM   #36
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
James' s guitar playing took Billy's straight up rock songs (very good rock songs ) to an artistic level.
There's a soft quirky/artsy feeling to MCIS and that's because you can hear James on every track.
Let's make stuff up

I also agree on Jeff's "academic" playing though.

Last edited by TuralyonW3 : 05-26-2014 at 12:37 AM.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:29 AM   #37
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
When Jeff plays it's like a math equation. James was bb king style where one note meant everything
Yes!

I like Jeff but he is too similar to billy in playing style. If jeff and james played together they could make something interesting I bet.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #38
bye june
Ownz

I think TheFutureEmbrace is the best thing he's put out since 2000...that and Sunkissed.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #39
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Jeff is so boring. No stage presence and clinical, characterless guitar playing. When I saw the Faking Pumpkins on the last tour Jeff's guitar was much louder than Billy's. I don't pay to hear Jeff Schroeder's guitar.

The e-bow stuff Jeff did on 'tonight, tonight' on the last tour was terrible. It was really cheesy and sci-fi sounding. They had a mellotron on stage, why not do the string part on there?

I wish Billy wouldn't let Jeff play on this new album at all. I'd much rather hear James play guitar and Billy wouldn't even let James play most of the time, so I certainly don't want to hear Jeff "Civilian" Schroeder.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:47 PM   #40
fuzzyroes
Banned

Jeffs pretty good. He plays the parts in a serviceable manner. That damn E-bow in Tonight, tonight was fucking terrible though.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:46 PM   #41
Bread Regal
Banned

was just listening to this machina show i attended when i was 15 for nostalgia purposes. this was about 2 weeks before billy announced the breakup of the band by the end of the year.

https://ia600307.us.archive.org/27/i...5d2t09_vbr.mp3

at one point during Blank Page, billy takes a letter being handed to him from the audience and starts "reading" it aloud and it's highly critical. The banter starts at about 5:00.

at the last part of the letter:

Billy: P.S. You guys were good around Gish, please go back to playing that kind of stuff.
James: I heard a couple negatives in there but I heard two positive points they made and, uh, after the show we're gonna analyze that and uh, you'll see some results pretty soon.

Given that they had probably already made the decision to end the band by that point, I laughed for like 2 minutes.

James is irreplacable for the stage banter alone.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #42
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Dat hair

Old 05-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #43
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
James is irreplacable for the stage banter alone.
His commentary about the naked man during that Germany show is great. And when the guy comes onstage during Fuck You, he's totally unfazed and just grins at him.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:40 AM   #44
ping-ping
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
I have no surprise James has found success in producing and scoring music and film. It is very in line with his sensibilities. I also am not surprised that the highlights of James' most recent album sounded far "pumpkinsier" than anything Billy has released since bringing the name back
My jaw dropped when I first heard "To Who Knows Where" -- it was weird, dude. I was thinking This is the Smashing Pumpkins, where the fuck have you guys been for the past fifteen years? I'm not one to gripe about a band's sound evolving. Loved Adore, loved Machina, it felt like a natural progression to me. Then comes the break up. I found some songs to love on the subsequent albums (The Rose March, A Stitch in Time, and Glissandra) but the err...soul of the band, my gut feeling of TSP...it's missing even from the highlights. So then James releases his second album and I expected it to be a departure from the first and hopefully a little bit better. He shocked me with that single. Either he's very good at aping pre-Zwan Corgan or he was a significant part of that sound, much more than writing credits or media or Corgan acknowledged.

And then there's always the consideration that Billy's standards/abilities were simply higher when Iha was in the band. From what he's said over the years he was intimidated by him and frustrated by his attitude (not a natural yes-man, apparently). I don't have exact quotes but hasn't Billy more or less said he wouldn't bring crap to the studio because he was thinking of the reaction from D'arcy and James?

Old 05-28-2014, 09:03 AM   #45
Ram27
dumb

What if the two Jameses were the most important to the band's sound, then Billy and Darcy?

Old 05-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #46
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Lol!

Everyone knows SP is billy's music and he controlled everything and did most of it. But the james flavour was there and so was jimmy and d'arcy. It was their influence on corgan that created what we heard. Billy's song writting is not the issue, it is how the music is produced and the lack of scrutiny. James and D'arcy both have good taste and an artistic sense, they were good filters for corgan. James' solos were very unique to corgans and d'arcy's vocals were beautiful with billy's.

There is a reason billy called it quits only after james decided to leave. James was important to Billy and still is, hence his inability to forgive and make peace.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #47
panda show
Ownz

yeah, nowadays nobody seems to have the guts to tell billy a song of his sucks.. jeff doesn't seem like the guy who does that, he actually seems like the guy who'd go along with any kind of shit corgan writes. nicole and mike, well, during the time they were in the band, they probably couldn't even say a word about whether they like something or not, since they were pretty much 'hired guns' and had to stick with whatever billy wanted to do/write.

back in the 90s, the smashing pumpkins actually functioned as A BAND, at least in selecting and filtering songs.. which is good enough for me.. that actually proves how much james, jimmy and d'arcy provided to the quality of the music.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #48
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ping-ping View Post
My jaw dropped when I first heard "To Who Knows Where" -- it was weird, dude. I was thinking This is the Smashing Pumpkins, where the fuck have you guys been for the past fifteen years? I'm not one to gripe about a band's sound evolving. Loved Adore, loved Machina, it felt like a natural progression to me. Then comes the break up. I found some songs to love on the subsequent albums (The Rose March, A Stitch in Time, and Glissandra) but the err...soul of the band, my gut feeling of TSP...it's missing even from the highlights. So then James releases his second album and I expected it to be a departure from the first and hopefully a little bit better. He shocked me with that single. Either he's very good at aping pre-Zwan Corgan or he was a significant part of that sound, much more than writing credits or media or Corgan acknowledged.

And then there's always the consideration that Billy's standards/abilities were simply higher when Iha was in the band. From what he's said over the years he was intimidated by him and frustrated by his attitude (not a natural yes-man, apparently). I don't have exact quotes but hasn't Billy more or less said he wouldn't bring crap to the studio because he was thinking of the reaction from D'arcy and James?
Well said. I felt the same way. I believe that James did add a lot of the atmospheric stuff that's sorely missing on all of the new pumpkins releases. Sure, Billy wrote the actual songs, but I'm of the belief that James added his "touch" to the tracks.

I think Corgans just bitter and tries very hard to throw a lot of revisionist history out there by ragging on James all of the time. I don't buy it for a second and it's sad that all of the SP fanboys just lick it up. I always hear this narrative that "Iha added nothing to the band"... But the music definitely indicates otherwise.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #49
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ping-ping View Post
All you need is Jimmy's drums in there and it's the best Pumpkins song since 2000.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #50
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Dude... We had that in zeitgeist. It didn't work!

Old 05-28-2014, 08:38 PM   #51
dodoz
Demi-God

I've always loved James, i'm a fan of his. His attitude, his banter, his humour, his guitar playing (yes. I've only heard of his so-called poor guitar-playing in recent years - if some people prefer the solo at the end of "Zero" BC's employee played, more power to em. I cringed so hard when I saw the "band" last year), his songs...I remember when "Let it come down" came out - it was announced, and then there was a review in a magazine I used to read. It was positive, the songtitles sounded "so James" I couldn't wait and bought it right when it came out. Good memories.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:14 PM   #52
Ram27
dumb

Oh lord. I didn't subject myself to enough new Pumpkins to really appreciate the badness.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:24 PM   #53
Ram27
dumb

http://i.imgur.com/4bqYQxZ.png

Old 05-28-2014, 10:31 PM   #54
Ram27
dumb

But anyway seriously

Old 05-29-2014, 03:43 AM   #55
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

yerp

Last edited by houseofglass11 : 09-15-2014 at 01:24 AM.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:00 AM   #56
absof
Demi-God

Compared to most of his outbursts towards fans, that's pretty tame and rational.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:11 AM   #57
Elphenor
Braindead

Yeah. That sounded actually sane.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:45 AM   #58
fuzzyroes
Banned

Not really, the question was pretty much bang on. Corgan then stresses that they're NOT hired guns and then a year later they're both outta the band. Aside from Jeff, The bands been a big revolving door since "it" reformed. So it's silly to suggest that the hired-hand notion is offensive and disrespectful.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:38 AM   #59
Ram27
dumb

stop living in the pass

Old 05-29-2014, 12:08 PM   #60
bye june
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
But anyway seriously

aww that was cute when he pushed the camera away during perfect