mahgin

Old 05-23-2014, 10:14 PM   #2
Ram27
dumb

Listen to those riffs he's dropping in around 4 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Mr0ZOOe7k

Or his thing at the end of Disarm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iVrVgaHC-8

The Boy was pretty good, as was Go, as was Said Sadly.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
Elphenor
Braindead

James was pretty epic. The most important Pumpkin besides Billy.

I dig that weird country thing he had in his playing and the awful noise solos i.e. Zero

Old 05-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #4
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

LOL, no.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:06 PM   #5
fuzzyroes
Banned

James was awesome. Somas my all time favorite Pumpkins song.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:23 PM   #6
Elphenor
Braindead

No Jimmy: We still get adore and a badass tour

No James: ZG and just a lame looking band

Old 05-24-2014, 12:44 AM   #7
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
No JC no gish no SD no MCIS. Pumpkins wouldn't have had their great success without him. His drumming was essential to BC's music and one of the main reasons they were a successful band. Not James.
Although I like adore, it didnt sell well and it was more of a billy solo album. How many songs did James write?
How many songs did Jimmy write on any album?

There'd be no Gish, SD, or MCIS without James either. At least not in a enjoyable form.
There's something about the way Billy's technical playing blended with James untechnical mess and the tension between them that was the heart of The Pumpkins.
You can hear James all over Adore.

But I don't think any of The Pumpkins heavier tracks would work without Jimmy or would have even existed.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:47 AM   #8
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

hey guys whats going on in this thread

Old 05-24-2014, 12:56 AM   #9
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
How many songs did Jimmy write on any album?
you really are a fucking idiot

i mean at first i was like oh he's kinda okay he kinda knows what he's talking about

BUT YOU HAVE NO FUCKING CLUE DO YOU, YOU'RE JUST FAKING IT AREN'T YOU

Old 05-24-2014, 01:11 AM   #10
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

James: Dat hair!

Old 05-24-2014, 02:17 AM   #11
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
you really are a fucking idiot

i mean at first i was like oh he's kinda okay he kinda knows what he's talking about

BUT YOU HAVE NO FUCKING CLUE DO YOU, YOU'RE JUST FAKING IT AREN'T YOU
I'm not sure you understand what I meant by that.
Jimmy wrote as much as James did. They didn't write the songs on the same level that Billy did but none of it could have happened without them.

Except for Adore...

Old 05-24-2014, 05:03 AM   #12
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

cut the crap, elphenor!

Old 05-24-2014, 06:31 AM   #13
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

If James isn't your favorite sp member I'm telling Suey Park on you.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #14
Shallowed
Braindead

Well, neither James nor Jimmy wrote anything on Adore...

Old 05-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #15
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
James is cool but he wasn't a guitar wizard. I do miss James though, his onstage jokes were the shit.
Yea, I still love listening to live recordings with James banter.
He was weird, oddly funny, he added something to my picture who or what SP were.

Never cared for this "oh they are so great technically (but have absolutely no chemistry as a band)" line-up approach.

Quote:
For the adore tour they needed like a 6 piece orchestra to fill the hole JC left.
(4 piece orchestra) For Adore live that did more than just fill the hole, though. At least to my ears. Although I was a JC fan, I didn't miss him on that tour. What a sound.
GIVE ME MY ADORE REISSUE.

Last edited by pavementtune : 05-24-2014 at 11:21 AM.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:03 AM   #16
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Quote:
You think if Ron Roesing was SP's drummer, they would've made any records? No. It's why the marked sucked and failed.
There are plenty of other reasons why the Marked sucked and failed. A lot of the songs weren't accessible. Billy's vocals were really awful and grating. The Marked was more of an art project than SP ever were if you really think about it.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:11 PM   #17
panda show
Ownz

I'll always remember how awfully he played the solo at 5:24 on this one:

But jokes aside, yeah, James was great.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:21 PM   #18
Spira|_
Apocalyptic Poster

Imo JC contributed more musically to the band. His unusual/semi-caotic drums are an essence on SP sound.
Although James seems to had contributed/influenced SP sound more with his presence, image, opinions, criticism over Billy compositions etc, I think he might influenced more the direction of the band than JC. James seems to have a more 'psycadellic' side/feel than JC. And because of this I think he was pretty important in the band also.

Indeed Billy without both wouldnt be able to do what really defines SP: SD and MCIS.....

Old 05-24-2014, 08:27 PM   #19
Spira|_
Apocalyptic Poster

Thinking twice now and looking back to 2007... I believe if Billy had James at his side insted of JC, Zeitgeist would had been a better album than what actually was...

Old 05-24-2014, 09:20 PM   #20
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda show View Post
I'll always remember how awfully he played the solo at 5:24 on this one:

But jokes aside, yeah, James was great.
19:26 and he didn't have 50 clowns jumping all around him either

Old 05-24-2014, 09:37 PM   #21
Ram27
dumb

lol wow.

and JC is fucking killing it with those flams

dada dada da dada da da

Old 05-25-2014, 02:24 AM   #22
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

While clearly not James' strongest song, that "Summer" from the BSB '99 is way solid.

Anyways, yeah: on the JC vs JI debate... I think that initially in getting into the band, James was more of a "whoa, that dude is a character/is hilarious/is a great foil to BC" factor. Then as I got deeper into the music and grew up, I saw JC for what he is: a freight train.

Really, I'm not sure you could weigh the two against each other and have it make any sense. Both are just such unique, talented folks.

As we get further and further away from April 1999 (and as it gets more and more almost impossible at this point that we will ever see the original four on stage again) I just see more and more how rad the chemistry was of them. Regardless of how dysfunctional it REALLY was, those four folks just made such a cool band, in the truest sense of the word.

And as we get more and more Ginger, Jeff, Linda, Mikey, Nicole, Howard, yada, yada... I just realize even more fully that regardless of how deep he feels it, Billy is NOT The Smashing Pumpkins. It's those four, and no other combo of souls.

/end late night nostalgia rant while that BSB keeps playing on...

Old 05-25-2014, 02:52 AM   #23
Elphenor
Braindead

Yeah JC is one of the greatest ever.

But Billy still made an A level album without him. An album that could not have happened without James.
James is the difference between a Shame and a Pale Horse.
And just listen to ZG's boring straight forward guitars. No amount of super drumming could ever save that.

Plus without Jame's quiet cool to balance out Billy's loud dorkiness you get a really lame band image wise and sound wise.

But at the same time I would agree that no other drummer could have made SD and MCIS.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #24
Ram27
dumb

margin

Old 05-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #25
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
While clearly not James' strongest song, that "Summer" from the BSB '99 is way solid.

Anyways, yeah: on the JC vs JI debate... I think that initially in getting into the band, James was more of a "whoa, that dude is a character/is hilarious/is a great foil to BC" factor. Then as I got deeper into the music and grew up, I saw JC for what he is: a freight train.

Really, I'm not sure you could weigh the two against each other and have it make any sense. Both are just such unique, talented folks.

As we get further and further away from April 1999 (and as it gets more and more almost impossible at this point that we will ever see the original four on stage again) I just see more and more how rad the chemistry was of them. Regardless of how dysfunctional it REALLY was, those four folks just made such a cool band, in the truest sense of the word.

And as we get more and more Ginger, Jeff, Linda, Mikey, Nicole, Howard, yada, yada... I just realize even more fully that regardless of how deep he feels it, Billy is NOT The Smashing Pumpkins. It's those four, and no other combo of souls.

/end late night nostalgia rant while that BSB keeps playing on...
This guy.

The whole idea that you could replace any of the original four and have it be the same is fucking stupid and fundamentally wrong.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:40 PM   #26
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

James was Billy's yang in every single way...

Personality wise, James was the person who could enjoy being a rock star and laughing at the silliness of it all while Billy took everything he did so seriously that it seems it bordered on insanity at some points.

Musically, that laid back nature crept in with Iha. His contributions to song arrangements and his guitar contributions give Smashing Pumpkins songs a texture, depth, and lush quality that has been missing on almost everything Billy has done since parting ways with James. Even James own songs seem to be the opposite of Billy's songs. Billy writes songs that are planned to the second, precise, and that jump out and yell at you. James' songs are more reflective, quirky, and almost have a sense of, "This could have been a better recorded song, but this is what you get." In albums like Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness and Machina, which can get bogged down in their pretentiousness, Iha's songs serve as a nice relief.

I have no surprise James has found success in producing and scoring music and film. It is very in line with his sensibilities. I also am not surprised that the highlights of James' most recent album sounded far "pumpkinsier" than anything Billy has released since bringing the name back,

Old 05-25-2014, 02:53 PM   #27
Elphenor
Braindead

James' s guitar playing took Billy's straight up rock songs (very good rock songs ) to an artistic level.
There's a soft quirky/artsy feeling to MCIS and that's because you can hear James on every track.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:04 PM   #28
slunken
Virgo

where is Jeff's solo album?

exactly

Old 05-25-2014, 06:12 PM   #29
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Anyone can use a fuckung ebow dude.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:08 PM   #30
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

Lols! It isn't about james using an ebow, it is about the creative nature of james plus billy that really is the SP sound. Billy has said in 2013 that james inspired him.