Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
The Melty Man
Ownz

Default “Each song will be made available absolutely for free... Free will mean free.”

Now that Oceania is about to be released, has anyone else noticed that Billy has reneged on the original Teargarden by Kaleidyscope promise that:

“Each song will be made available absolutely for free, to anyone anywhere. There will be no strings attached. Free will mean free, which means you won't have to sign up for anything, give an email address, or jump through a hoop. You will be able to go and take the song or songs as you wish, as many times as you wish.”

When I checked today, the first ten Teargarden songs were no longer even available for download from smashingpumpkins.com, and a digital download of Oceania from the band website will cost $14.99 when it finally becomes available on June 19th.

So what has happened to this original plan of releasing music for free, and what will happen to the rest of the Teargarden? After this album which isn't an album comes out, there a still another 21 songs to go until 44 are released, somehow I just can't see this project ever being finished in the way it was originally promised.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Euronomus
Demi-God

Billy Corgan Happened

Old 06-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
The Melty Man
Ownz

What's the bet in three years time Billy turns around and bags this record too, just like he is doing with Zeitgeist now?

Old 06-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

tread is soooooo 2011

Old 06-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

This has been constant discussion on the O-board. Teargarden, as we know it for all intents and purposes, is dead.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
Space Girl 1979
Ownz

Old 06-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
This has been constant discussion on the O-board. Teargarden, as we know it for all intents and purposes, is dead.

Monte says different. And Monte is the leader of the super special l33t club will all the insider info aint he...

Old 06-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
emilem
Demi-God

everyone's going to snag it off filestube anyway, why does it matter? there was suppose to be a new song every month as well and we got 8 in 30 months or so. fuck that.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
JUnderscore
Demi-God

It'll probably just show up somewhere as a torrent authorized and released by the band/label. Or click here to name your own price...eventually. No big deal.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:08 AM   #10
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

He wants to put a pool in his home. Got to get the funds somehow.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:27 AM   #11
The Melty Man
Ownz

I don't mind paying either, it's just the hypocrisy that irks me.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #12
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

it's not hypocrisy, obviously his initial teargarden announcement became invalid as soon as he realized no one gave a shit about his shitty songs being released for free as internet singles, because hey thats what all my shitty friends' bands do and i never want to hear them. obviously he can't be expected to stick to his word when his plan failed miserably.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Melty Man View Post
I don't mind paying either, it's just the hypocrisy that irks me.
What hypocrisy? Corgan gave away Teargarden for free; Oceania is not Teargarden, and thus not free. Simple, no?

When/if the Teargarden comes back and he charges for it, then feel free to shout "Hypocrisy!" Until then, don't try to combine the projects, when that's clearly not Corgan's intent.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #14
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I think the way Bill sees it is that he is experimenting with the model through which he releases music, and the fans get to come along for the ride. I doubt he realizes he frustrating it is for him to continually and inevitably break all his promises and change all his plans, because in his mind we are all on this journey with him.

This is annoying because he is way out of touch, but really I don't give a shit about paying for Oceania (I actually will if it is any good), or if Teargarden ends. I would love free music, but really, barely any of you will pay for it even if you do like it, so I don't understand what the fuss is, other than to scrutinize him and beat him over the head for yet another change in course

Old 06-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
CrabbMan
Amish Hoe Fighter

Maybe when he said every song would be made available free, he was just stating the reality of the internet. Oceania will definitely be available free, but you can pay for it as well if you are so inclined to support the band in that way.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #16
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
What hypocrisy? Corgan gave away Teargarden for free; Oceania is not Teargarden, and thus not free. Simple, no?

When/if the Teargarden comes back and he charges for it, then feel free to shout "Hypocrisy!" Until then, don't try to combine the projects, when that's clearly not Corgan's intent.
He has actually stated that Oceania is a part of Teargarden.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #17
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
He has actually stated that Oceania is a part of Teargarden.
You mean the "album within an album" comment? Or is there some other comment?

Old 06-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #18
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Yeah the album within an album comment...which makes him a hypocrite and a liar. But that's nothing new.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #19
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

This is what it says on the website; "Marking The Smashing Pumpkins’ 7th studio record, it is “an album within an album,” part of their 44-song work-in-progress Teargarden By Kaleidyscope."

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/oceania/

Old 06-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #20
Rocket Launcher
Apocalyptic Poster

and then there is this 11 4 song EP thing billy claimed to do, he might end up not doing that. Since Oceania is part of that, he's just making EPs out of an album, which is totally absurd. This whole TbK project is already a major PR desaster.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #21
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
Yeah the album within an album comment...which makes him a hypocrite and a liar. But that's nothing new.
But that's arguing semantics. He's pausing one free album (Teargarden) to produce a more traditional, "for-sale" album (Oceania), and then will presumably go back to the free album (Teargarden).

You see? An album within an album. No hypocrisy.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #22
Rocket Launcher
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 06-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #23
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Why does Oceania have to be for sale? Why can't he just release it as a free album and keep his fucking promise?

Old 06-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #24
emilem
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
But that's arguing semantics. He's pausing one free album (Teargarden) to produce a more traditional, "for-sale" album (Oceania), and then will presumably go back to the free album (Teargarden).

You see? An album within an album. No hypocrisy.
that's not what he said. he said oceania is part of teargarden. he's not pausing one thing for another.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #25
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

"hey guys, check it out! This eBay user wants me to pay for one of his dog turds. His dog turds used to be free!"
"but dude, you can also go to any park anywhere in the world and get a dog turd yourself, for free, right there for the taking!"
"also, why would you even want a dog turd in the first place?"
"BUT HE SAID IT WOULD BE FREE AND NOW IT'S NOT FREE EVEN THOUGH IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE! I'VE BEEN LIED TO!"

Old 06-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #26
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilem View Post
that's not what he said. he said oceania is part of teargarden. he's not pausing one thing for another.
Prove it. Post the quote.

Also, if he hasn't paused Teargarten, please let me know when the next Teargarden song is coming out. I'd love to hear it! Would you say next week? Next month perhaps?

Old 06-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #27
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

isn't it just teargarden not teargarten or is the stupidity of the name making people misspell it relentlessly

Old 06-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #28
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
isn't it just teargarden not teargarten or is the stupidity of the name making people misspell it relentlessly
I'm not gonna lie to you: I don't know, I just looked to see how Melty Man spelled it, and copied him. Of all the things to complain about, I think Corgan's obvious disregard of conventional and accepted spelling in the English language is unforgivable, and is probably the worse thing about the "album".

Old 06-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #29
MonteLDS
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Billy said as of July 24th 2012 the project is still around

http://www.crestfallen.com/2012/05/2...arden-project/

Old 06-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #30
Order 66
Socialphobic

the oceania PR still touts the "teargarden" name. so unless its just incompetent publicizing it seems they're not just dropping the thing

the thing that irks me is i thought the whole point of selling song rights to Visa and such was to fund the project. i thought the point was TBK didn't need to set the world on fire, it had funding and billy could just make music on his own time in his bathrobe and not have to deal with press junkets and a major label or whatever.

i think backpedaling and making a conventional album is unfortunately the best way to go in this situation but its pretty frustrating as this could have been avoided by making some common sense decisions. like this whole releasing only one song at a time thing. even if radiohead did something like that and it was groundbreaking material, people would eventually get tired of waiting long periods of time and would just forget about it. there needed to be like three or five songs at once. plus, according to who ran the official site last, billy was recalcitrant to doing anything that would generate more traffic

it just has the fingerprints of somebody that doesn't want to face reality. maybe oceania really will get things on back on track but i wont hold my breath

Last edited by Order 66 : 06-03-2012 at 05:58 PM.