Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #181
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Republicans: Now is not the time to discuss politics, now is the time to mourn! Doing anything else is disrespectful to the victims!
Victims: Hey, can we have some gun laws?
Republicans: Haha, what makes those kids experts on how dangerous guns are, seeing their classmates get pumped full of bullets? Stupid entitled millennials!

"What, pray tell, did these students do to earn their claim to expertise? They were present during a mass shooting, and they have the right point of view, according to the Left."
—Ben Shapiro

It's funny that Shapiro has an entire article about how youth are too naive and irrational to have a say in politics, yet I've never been entirely convinced that Ben Shapiro isn't just three children in a trenchcoat.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:15 PM   #182
Elphenor
Braindead

Shapiro is something else

but I don't know if you're just doomed to sillyness by the nature of trying to position as a "conservative intellectual"

great dissecting of the guy in this article: https://static.currentaffairs.org/20...ds-philosopher

Old 02-23-2018, 04:40 PM   #183
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

found out my therapist is seeing multiple children/teacher victims. that's gotta be fucking nuts

Old 02-23-2018, 05:00 PM   #184
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Republicans:"What, pray tell, did these students do to earn their claim to expertise? They were present during a mass shooting, and they have the right point of view, according to the Left."
—Ben Shapiro
They have at least as much expertise as lawmakers, since mass shootings keep happening.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:25 PM   #185
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

reprise, what is the likely line of procedure in Florida with this, will either the entire system what happens when authorities are alerted be adapted or at least checked, or will they simply ask someone to take the blame and step down, and that's that?

Quote:
PARKLAND, Fla. — Broward County deputies received at least 18 calls warning them about Nikolas Cruz from 2008 to 2017, including concerns that he "planned to shoot up the school" and other threats and acts of violence before he was accused of killing 17 people at a high school.

The warnings, made by concerned people close to Cruz, came in phone calls to the Broward County Sheriff's Office, records show. At least five callers mentioned concern over his access to weapons, according to the documents. None of those warnings led to direct intervention.
the story goes on and every single sentence is completely surreal to me.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...uns/366165002/

Old 02-23-2018, 05:50 PM   #186
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
post your fav regret rock song

Old 02-23-2018, 05:54 PM   #187
slunken
Virgo

from my local news feed

Quote:
Armed deputies will patrol Boone County elementary schools in wake of Florida massacre

Old 02-23-2018, 05:55 PM   #188
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post

Thought this was a solid hot take. 10/10.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:25 PM   #189
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
reprise, what is the likely line of procedure in Florida with this, will either the entire system what happens when authorities are alerted be adapted or at least checked, or will they simply ask someone to take the blame and step down, and that's that?

the story goes on and every single sentence is completely surreal to me.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...uns/366165002/
They will heavily blame the security officer who didn't go in and stop him. And the officer should have and totally fucked up, but would he have even stood a chance against an AR-15 with some shitty pistol? I doubt he had anything else.

So many fucking people fucked this up. Henderson Mental Health definitely deserves some of the blame. They are basically the tri-county mental health care system for child protection and violence cases, plus therapy etc for poor people. The fact that they never thought he was a danger after several violent incidents is terrible.

Honestly I feel like the buck stops with the sheriff but since he is a democrat and says all the right things, nothing will happen to him. I will not vote for him again, however.

There were so many chances to get this kid. FBI fucked up, Broward County fuck up, the school fucked up, henderson fucked up. Obviously they need to be able to have a better communication system. Also whatever therapist he saw fucked up by not seeing or reporting that he was a danger to others. I think he saw a therapist recently, too.

If nothing else happens, the way law enforcement and community outreach talks to each other needs to change. And mental health professionals need to be able to ask and act on if their client is known to or admits to having guns. I do not think there is a protocol to do this currently.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:27 PM   #190
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
Thought this was a solid hot take. 10/10.
too soon

Old 02-23-2018, 07:30 PM   #191
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

I am just incapable of understanding that this can really happen.

in a country with so many mass and especially school shootings, that literally nothing happens if you and a dozen other people alert authorities EIGHTEEN TIMES over the years - and then 17 people are dead.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:46 PM   #192
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
I am just incapable of understanding that this can really happen.

in a country with so many mass and especially school shootings, that literally nothing happens if you and a dozen other people alert authorities EIGHTEEN TIMES over the years - and then 17 people are dead.
We are not a culture of preventative medicine or measures. It pays money to treat illness and it doesn't pay money to prevent it.

I'm a political idiot and that's my cynical take.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:52 PM   #193
pavementtune

my cynical take will come once I have seen how gun sales in Florida are doing since that shooting.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:54 PM   #194
slunken
Virgo

I would assume gun sales would go up because the kind of people that buy guns would have fear instilled in them and would want to have a means to "protect themselves"

or they freak out thinking assault weapons will soon be banned and think it might be their last chance to buy them.

source: no idea

Old 02-23-2018, 07:55 PM   #195
slunken
Virgo

i'm not a gun nut but i understand the collector mentality

Old 02-23-2018, 07:56 PM   #196
pavementtune

exactly. source - every mass shooting of at least the past 5 years where I paid attention. guns sales always go up.

you shoot school kids in elementary school age and the result are bulletproof backpacks being the next hot thing under the Christmas tree. who would want to prevent that? at least one sector of the economy is booming!

okay I am done now.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:58 PM   #197
slunken
Virgo

yea this stuff isn't fun. i'm here to have fun!

Old 02-23-2018, 07:58 PM   #198
slunken
Virgo

slunken, crackpot pundit, signing off.

back to you, dan.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:15 PM   #199
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

When I was in college at Duquesne like half our basketball team got shot and I considered participating in the open tryouts. But then I was a lazy sack of shit and didn’t bother. WORTH IT.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:21 AM   #200
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
Shapiro is something else

but I don't know if you're just doomed to sillyness by the nature of trying to position as a "conservative intellectual"

great dissecting of the guy in this article: https://static.currentaffairs.org/20...ds-philosopher
This is strange. I quite like Ben Shapiro, actually. I'll do some research of my own, I guess. Dude IS really smart, though. He skipped two grades, got into high school at a very young age, got into UCLA at the age of 16.
It's a good thing he isn't far-right though. He left Breitbart right when Andrew Breitbart died and Steve Bannon joined, he really doesn't like that guy.

Quote:
Shapiro wrote for the Daily Bruin as a 16-year-old undergrad at UCLA. Breitbart eventually hired Shapiro, years later, but died a month after Shapiro came aboard. Under a new boss, Steve Bannon, Breitbart News cozied up to the Trump campaign and to the burgeoning alt-right movement. Shapiro was disgusted by both. The treatment of Fields was his breaking point.

“In my opinion, Steve Bannon is a bully,” he said in a statement at the time, explaining his resignation from Breitbart, “and has sold out Andrew’s mission in order to back another bully, Donald Trump; he has shaped the company into Trump’s personal Pravda.”

Old 02-24-2018, 02:40 AM   #201
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Last edited by MarquisInSpades : 02-24-2018 at 02:35 PM.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:40 AM   #202
buzzard
Minion of Satan

The social chameleon just received its cue to shift again and maximize acceptance.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:52 AM   #203
MarquisInSpades
Banned

"Maximize acceptance"? You're either really fucking daft or I'm too socially inept to understand that this is a joke or something of the sort.
I'm hoping it's the latter.

You do realize I'm making an argument against them, right?

Old 02-24-2018, 08:26 AM   #204
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Hmm, I'm not immediately sure how to respond. I've been all for this guy so far, but am willing to look into the matter and might possibly experience an evolution of opinion that should prove a little more conducive to coming off as anything other than a viscid half-person with nothing interesting to contribute. Like, imagine an invertebrate sociopath following the wikiHow for ingratiation.

[Insert list of reasons why a positive view of him is at least arguably defensible here. Provide evidence. Demonstrate room for compromise; lessen the need to backflip.]

Old 02-24-2018, 11:52 AM   #205
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquisInSpades View Post
I quite like Ben Shapiro, actually
ofc you do because you're stupid

Old 02-24-2018, 11:55 AM   #206
Elphenor
Braindead

conservatism is not the new counter culture my brain hurts that's so stupid

Old 02-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #207
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Last edited by MarquisInSpades : 02-24-2018 at 01:57 PM.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:24 PM   #208
Elphenor
Braindead

say something stupid get called stupid no butthurt

Old 02-24-2018, 12:30 PM   #209
MarquisInSpades
Banned

Okay.
Sorry I called you a bitch.

Did you read the article I posted? I feel like that's a fairer take on his career in general. The one you sent is way too one dimensional tbh, the other one highlights both the pros and cons. Dude has done some stupid shit, yeah.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:32 PM   #210
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquisInSpades View Post
Gen Z is one the most conservative generations so far
this is outright false

once you get out of the American 4chan fart bubble you put over your head, the trend is overwhelmingly towards the growing generation being more liberal than the last