Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 05-29-2018, 06:49 PM   #2131
fuzzyroes
Banned

Wait, so are the special guests the only difference with the 30th anniversary series shows? I'm kinda confused as to what they're getting at here.

Funny that Katie Cole is involved. It really is just the same old lineup that's been touring for the past few years but with Iha. No way the addition of Iha deserves such sensationalism.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:52 PM   #2132
fuzzyroes
Banned

From a fan point of view, I'd rather Iha not be involved and be able to enjoy the band at a cheap price in a smaller venue without the needless sensationalism.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:07 PM   #2133
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Wait, so are the special guests the only difference with the 30th anniversary series shows? I'm kinda confused as to what they're getting at here.

Funny that Katie Cole is involved. It really is just the same old lineup that's been touring for the past few years but with Iha. No way the addition of Iha deserves such sensationalism.
That's my biggest issue with this tour. It's a solid lineup, but the advertising is basically trying to con people into thinking it is a reunion tour. Billy specifically has used terms like the Pumpkins 'rising from the phoenix' and reunion in the promotional stuff he's done. In order for that to be true, D'arcy would need to be there. The reunion failed to materialize.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:42 PM   #2134
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

PNC venue is an amphitheater type setup, an outdoor covered stage with huuuge lawn/grass seating. So thats where they are filling that capacity numbers by putting people on the lawn. They can technically "sell out" the place just with filling up the covered seating area, and generate more ticket sales and excitement to fill up MSG once the PNC venue "fills up", which I would assume is probably like 7000 actual seats.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:10 PM   #2135
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post
That's my biggest issue with this tour. It's a solid lineup, but the advertising is basically trying to con people into thinking it is a reunion tour. Billy specifically has used terms like the Pumpkins 'rising from the phoenix' and reunion in the promotional stuff he's done. In order for that to be true, D'arcy would need to be there. The reunion failed to materialize.
I couldn't agree with you more. I feel like they're really trying to benefit from the fact that most casual fans had no idea that the band was even around the past 10 years. I bet less than 5 percent realize that this is essentially the lineup that's been kicking around over the past 4 years. So I mean, I suppose it's a good strategy. The only people who are going to be off-put are the hardcore fans and a lot of them don't even care, so it's a win win.

Does anyone have any idea about what shows are going to be 30th anniversary shows and which shows are going to be the regular set? Despite how lame the roll-out has been, I'd still like to catch a show on this tour. Not sure if I'll chose the Seattle show or one of the western Canada gigs, but I reckon the anniversary gigs will be the cooler experience.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:12 PM   #2136
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

They also should be explicitly clear that D'arcy will not be one of the special guests. Putting 'special guests' and 'surprises' is going to get people's hopes up.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:15 PM   #2137
fuzzyroes
Banned

Definitely true. But who knows, maybe it actually will be her? That's certainly what the average fan will assume. I'm sure once she's cooled off, maybe she considered how much she'd be offered and decided to take part anyways.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:32 PM   #2138
slayed23
Ownz

I just don't understand why you would be upset at someone trying to capitalize as much money as they can. You can call the way they are doing it lame, but I am sure Billy is getting advice to a T on the most effective way possible to do it.

I can see how people would rather see a band play a smaller venue as the sound quality will be better. I am kinda surprised extremely mainstream bands don't do it at opportune times which would drive up ticket prices to the final metro show level. When I think about it though, they probably lose money by doing it.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:37 PM   #2139
Ram27
dumb

Honestly my favorite bootlegs from the good tours were the big arena shows. The band's tight by that point in the tour, they've sped the songs up a ton, and everything sounds blissed out, reverby, and huge

Club shows sound dry in comparison

Visually/"politically" though I'm sure small shows are 1000x better

Old 05-29-2018, 11:56 PM   #2140
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

nah, smaller venues are better

Old 05-30-2018, 12:09 AM   #2141
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Though, Rio is always a hot place. Even with a hundred thousand.

Especially, when sponsered by a cigarette company...

Old 05-30-2018, 01:35 AM   #2142
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
They also should be explicitly clear that D'arcy will not be one of the special guests. Putting 'special guests' and 'surprises' is going to get people's hopes up.
How would they do that?

"Smashing Pumpkins minus Darcy plus special guests"? Sounds dumb.

Darcy won't be there. I don't even get why people still consider the idea of her showing up.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:03 AM   #2143
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Heidecker: If I put myself in the mind of a potential Fleetwood Mac concertgoer, let’s say I’m living in Cleveland or something. Let’s say I had already seen them three years ago, and it cost me like 500 dollars by the end of the night. Then I find out they’re coming back to Cleveland, but Lindsey Buckingham isn’t involved, and it’s some other guy that I’m not that interested in seeing. I mean, hey, I like Tom Petty but I don’t need to go see Mike Campbell ever again. Am I going to spend the money again on that night? Am I getting the babysitter? I don’t know. I’ll let them worry about that.

Malkmus: We’ll see. The numbers will be out there. As soon as there’s a hint that Fleetwood Mac’s not selling well, you’ll hear about it. The members of Smashing Pumpkins—Lindsey Buckingham is not in the Smashing Pumpkins, but there’s a female bass player named D’arcy, and she’s not going to be on the tour. And people are doing a similar complaint, because the band has already done like three fake reunions, almost-reunions, and this is supposed to be—I think they’re just playing like their old hits, they’re not going to bore us with the new album or whatever.

Heidecker: No Zwan?

Malkmus: I’m into Zwan. Zwan was good. But there’s been a little talk that it’s not selling well. I think people will go though. It’s a brand, and Fleetwood Mac is a brand by now. And it’s not like they have three different Fleetwood Macs going around.

Heidecker: Like the Eagles.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:50 AM   #2144
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I wish, but highly, highly doubt it. Probably Melissa auf der Maur/Matt Walker/Kenny Aranoff/those types.
I would love to see Melissa Auf der Maur appear and play at a Smashing Pumpkins show, but by all accounts she seems to have no interest in playing with Billy Corgan ever again. Not to mention he has sort of thrown shade at her a few times since bringing the band back.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:56 AM   #2145
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Write a book about it. What concerns me more is that iha isnt really showing any real interest in the sp. Just doing it for money-ok. I wait for the first song- then i will either quit the whole bolly crap or i am back as a hardcore fan

Old 05-31-2018, 12:35 PM   #2146
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
I would love to see Melissa Auf der Maur appear and play at a Smashing Pumpkins show, but by all accounts she seems to have no interest in playing with Billy Corgan ever again. Not to mention he has sort of thrown shade at her a few times since bringing the band back.
She was available in 2007, they actually briefly talked to her about it.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:56 PM   #2147
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

You're absolutely right. They briefly talked about it, Melissa made it clear she was available should Billy want her, and he chose to go with someone else. Fair enough, but since then he's criticized her for:

-Not being a part of Billy's plan to play a residency at the Metro in early 2001
-"Tripping all over the guitars" during the 1999-2000 shows.

I don't know why you insist on trying to contradict everything I say.

Old 05-31-2018, 02:10 PM   #2148
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

this tour is a sausage party

if you like watching 3 old dudes and 1 younger dude jump around stage for 2 hours.. alright.. but yeah they needed D'arcy or Melissa on bass

Old 05-31-2018, 02:22 PM   #2149
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Hey hey wait now.. they’re gonna be jumping around ???

Old 05-31-2018, 09:59 PM   #2150
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

This headline made me lol due to many people are gonna think of one person and it's not her...

Smashing Pumpkins Confirm Ex-Bassist Is Joining Tour In Surprising Role
https://www.alternativenation.net/sm...rprising-role/

Old 05-31-2018, 10:15 PM   #2151
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
This headline made me lol due to many people are gonna think of one person and it's not her...

Smashing Pumpkins Confirm Ex-Bassist Is Joining Tour In Surprising Role
https://www.alternativenation.net/sm...rprising-role/
so who are they referring to in the article? Ginger?

Old 05-31-2018, 10:23 PM   #2152
Ram27
dumb

brett pls

Old 05-31-2018, 10:27 PM   #2153
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
so who are they referring to in the article? Ginger?
katie cole

I honest to god do not remember who that is

Old 05-31-2018, 10:42 PM   #2154
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayed23 View Post
I just don't understand why you would be upset at someone trying to capitalize as much money as they can. You can call the way they are doing it lame, but I am sure Billy is getting advice to a T on the most effective way possible to do it.

I can see how people would rather see a band play a smaller venue as the sound quality will be better. I am kinda surprised extremely mainstream bands don't do it at opportune times which would drive up ticket prices to the final metro show level. When I think about it though, they probably lose money by doing it.
Yeah - I don't get it either. Integrity is out the window because you have to sell out if you want to make money and support your family. This is a fan board and everyone admits to not buying music. You have to go big. You have to get a song in a commercial. That used to be the biggest sell out, but for the last 10 years indie bands have replaced jingle writers.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:17 PM   #2155
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
katie cole

I honest to god do not remember who that is
damn.. wtf.. what a poorly written article

Old 05-31-2018, 11:31 PM   #2156
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Autism speaks

Old 06-01-2018, 12:03 AM   #2157
WeilandFan
Apocalyptic Poster

My Pulitzer can be mailed to Madame ZuZu's tea house, when it re-opens.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:10 AM   #2158
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

My click got baited

Old 06-01-2018, 06:47 AM   #2159
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Will be interesting to see, how much people will be going to the historicly unspecific anniversary concert.
Might have the effect that the Madison Square Garden doesn't sell out now, as people may prefer to drive the 41 miles to see the special guests show.

The Smashing Pumpkins: 30th Anniversary Series
Thu 8/2 @ 7pm
PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ
General parking included!

https://concerts1.livenation.com/event/020054B7C2035E9B

https://media.ticketmaster.com/en-us...phi/77986s.gif

https://wedding-assets.s3.amazonaws....02-940x626.jpg

Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 06-01-2018 at 06:53 AM.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:08 AM   #2160
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

How about protesting about the D'arcy-situation by throwing carrots towards the stage...?

American idiocy:

Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 06-01-2018 at 08:11 AM.