Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2015, 09:57 PM   #151
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
The Top 40 chart people are the majority of the people you have to deal with FOR YOUR ENTIRE LIFE
As someone who has been alive longer than you, I can tell you that yes you will have to deal with complete knuckle-dragging fuckwits your whole life, but that if you pay close attention you'll realise that they exist in equal numbers across every subculture. I know just as many godawful human beings in Amphetamine Reptile tees as I do who like Avicii or whatever.

Stop thinking of them as "top 40 chart people" cause it's just a fucking gross misrepresentation and oversimplification of what makes a shitty person.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:58 PM   #152
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
I also think that when it comes to stuff like "alternative" or "difficult/outsider/alternative/deeper" art/music/literature etc, that a general air of assumed smugness/condescension/superiority from those corners actually contributes to anti-intellectual and concurrent anti-progressivist sentiment amongst lower-income and under-educated sectors of society, which in turn fuels conservative and libertarian groundswells.
It's not supposed to be smug really it's just that outsiders are made to feel like shit until they find a culture that celebrates them

And the Art culture is one that does that

Old 08-03-2015, 09:59 PM   #153
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

Have you ever thought about what you must sound like to other people

I mean it's a healthy exercise. You don't have to go on believing you sound arrogant, but try it for a second just to get a dose of what it must be like for them.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:59 PM   #154
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Like surely you can see what my point is here dude - that sort of punks vs mods tribalist bullshit belongs in high school for people who haven't worked out who they are yet. You're an adult now - it's time to take each person on their own merits regardless of their taste.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:00 PM   #155
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
It's not supposed to be smug really it's just that outsiders are made to feel like shit until they find a culture that celebrates them

And the Art culture is one that does that
eventually you'll grow out of wanting or needing a scene that CELEBRATES any one type of people or art/music in general.

I mean I hope so. otherwise you'll be one of the smug fucks who can't enter a truck diner and have a chat with someone who listens to the local country station because that's "beneath you" when you are 40.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:00 PM   #156
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
It's not supposed to be smug
this is the same as "I didn't mean it in a racist way, so why are you offended?"

Intention doesn't matter an inch dude the outcome is the same.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:01 PM   #157
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
otherwise you'll be one of the smug fucks who can't enter a truck diner and have a chat with someone who listens to the local country station because that's "beneath you" when you are 40.
THIS

you rob yourself of so many cool experiences and people and opportunities and yes EVEN MUSIC when you stick your nose up at others over your assumption of their value and values.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:02 PM   #158
Elphenor
Braindead

It's not about their music tastes really ugh

But rather the qualities, life philosophies, beliefs etc. that end up shaping the music they naturally enjoy

Old 08-03-2015, 10:02 PM   #159
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Which is, by the way, the dictionary definition of prejudice.

EDIT: In addendum to my last post, not in reply to elphys above.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:04 PM   #160
Elphenor
Braindead

What else makes a person if not their values and beliefs

Old 08-03-2015, 10:05 PM   #161
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
It's not about their music tastes really ugh

But rather the qualities, life philosophies, beliefs etc. that end up shaping the music they naturally enjoy
yeah but this is a bullshit fallacy. There are a huge number of factors that can affect what people enjoy musically, and sometimes people shitty have taste that belies what cool people they are and vice versa. It's a phenomenally shitty and short-sighted way to measure people.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:06 PM   #162
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
enter a truck diner and have a chat with someone who listens to the local country station because that's "beneath you" when you are 40.
This sounds like a terrible experience tbh

Old 08-03-2015, 10:07 PM   #163
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

well you are right SJ, no doubt, but honestly there are a whole fuckton of godawful braindead people out there. and yea, I spot them via prejudices, sometimes I'm wrong, but mostly they are exactly what I expected.

woman my age starts chatting on the train with me. same route, every day.
she seems to be wearing nothing but pinkish yoga pants, has a playboy bunny button on her bag, and talks about the latest lady gaga concert. why should I bother to get to know her beyond that - I'm just not interested. my brain goes "does not belong to a "scene" I want anything to do with."

now if I'd end up having to be around someone like her - say at work or wherever, sure, we could get along, why not. but in private? small chance.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:07 PM   #164
Elphenor
Braindead

Still haven't met a post-punker I didn't just fucking love

It's always one of those experiences of "wow it's like we grew up together"

Old 08-03-2015, 10:09 PM   #165
pavementtune

Quote:
This sounds like a terrible experience tbh
haha not at all, I love it. but then again by now I'm so fucking old I seek out to spend time in my not-as-usual-setting, because bars and restaurants full of people discussing the latest, greatest, hippest art gallery opening bore me to tears.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:11 PM   #166
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
bars and restaurants full of people
Also shit

Old 08-03-2015, 10:12 PM   #167
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

how is that blanketly shit

that's one of the most broad demographics of a place you could be i've ever seen

Old 08-03-2015, 10:13 PM   #168
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

I just feel bad for you at this point Elph. I hope you can mature enough to see people as nuanced individuals with something to offer and not a bunch of compatible band shirts. Believe it or not, it will deeply enrich your time on the planet. If a grizzled misanthrope like me is telling you to open your mind i'd give it some thought.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:15 PM   #169
pavementtune

well I didn't mean the small family owned Greek tavern somewhere, where you can end up dancing Sirtaki and talk about god knows what at 4am.

the places "my people" would hang out at - white, over 30, academic degrees, good income, familiar with the newest people in the GALLERY SCENE and it's just...barf.

I had better times at roadstops in yes, truck diners and afternoon strip joints.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:16 PM   #170
Elphenor
Braindead

I mean thanks, but I do just fine socially hanging out with musician types

It's whenever I try to relate to people outside that, that I just end up depressed

Old 08-03-2015, 10:17 PM   #171
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
well I didn't meen the small family owned Greek tavern somewhere, where you can end up dancing Sirtaki and talk about god knows what at 4am.
These places are my favourite kinda places. There's an old greek club called The Hercules Society near my house, sometimes if i'm walking home from the pub and its open i'll drop in and shoot the shit about the football with the old barflys. Best times.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:17 PM   #172
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
I do totally see the world as "Us Vs. T**** tbh and everything in my life has only confirmed that to me

Green Day is def part of the "T**** not one of us. But I mean I like them actually, just like I have plenty of friends that aren't um "alternative type people" as I said (it's a simplification though)
We're just talking about music, but that Us vs Them shit is a general problem in the world that causes a lot of strife.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:18 PM   #173
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
I mean thanks, but I do just fine socially hanging out with musician types

It's whenever I try to relate to people outside that, that I just end up depressed
This is a pretty strong indicator of arrested development man.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:19 PM   #174
Elphenor
Braindead

Nothing more smug than trying to judge what it means to be "grown up" for everyone else

Old 08-03-2015, 10:20 PM   #175
pavementtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
These places are my favourite kinda places. There's an old greek club called The Hercules Society near my house, sometimes if i'm walking home from the pub and its open i'll drop in and shoot the shit about the football with the old barflys. Best times.
totally, my favorite places, too.
there was one right next to a college dorm some friends lived in, I still remember the owner, we'd come in at 3am, 5 people would still sit around one table, his wife trying to get him to close, but we come in and bam- chairs out "sit down sit down".
next thing you know it's 5am and he's giving me shit that Moby Dick is the greatest book ever written and what the hell us kids learn in college.

besides that one day.... soccer.... Greece and Germany....and boa, I chose to make an exit haha.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:28 PM   #176
pavementtune

also at some point life is just more interesting outside your "comfort similar zone" - at least for me it sure is, elphie.

I mean I get it that it's nice to be out of high school and finally find some people who seem similar to you. "post punkers musician types" or whatever you call them.

but just recently I ended up in a strip booth in South Side - and had one of the best conversations with a total stranger I had the entire year.
it all started because she made fun of my white not existing bootie and wanted to trick me into pole dancing to some god awful Beyoncé remix.

just saying, you sound more scared than smug to me.
different backgrounds and tastes are a good thing, not necessarily a bad thing to stay away from.

and it reminds me that a few months ago you said about rap that you couldn't get it because you are not "from the streets" - and that's damn close to US vs THEM and yea, smug.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:32 PM   #177
Elphenor
Braindead

Oh I was wrong about that haha

wannabe rappers are so similar to us wannabe guitarist types

But I mean I still can't get into Hip Hop try as I might

Old 08-03-2015, 10:33 PM   #178
pavementtune

Quote:
Oh I was wrong about that haha

wannabe rappers are so similar to us wannabe guitarist types

ha, glad you found that out!

Old 08-03-2015, 10:35 PM   #179
Elphenor
Braindead

I mean I hardly derive any pleasure from social interaction that doesn't involve drugs or making music so there's that too

Old 08-03-2015, 10:39 PM   #180
pavementtune

that opens a whole TON of possibilities!

hang out at the subway station and do some meth, hang out in empty buidlings and score some h - you never know who'll you meet!

no but okay.