Old 10-18-2018, 02:45 PM   #211
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

now imma grab mine out of the dirty clothes and take a pic real quick

you see what i'm saying

Old 10-18-2018, 02:51 PM   #212
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Speaking of MTaE and Oceania, I was noticing that wikipedia for Teargarden https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tearga...y_Kaleidyscope they lump MTaE in there, and I don't know if Billy has said it was supposed to be, the referenced article doesn't say anything about it, but I don't think MTaE should be considered part of TbK. Oceania sounds like an album length collection of TbK tracks, and I'd say Mike Byrne's angry drumming is probably what ties the TbK tracks together, and maybe Nicole's bass, but I'd be surprised if Billy didn't play those parts himself. MTaE with Tommy Lee drumming and the short, poppy rocks songs doesn't fit alongside the TbK works, IMO.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:54 PM   #213
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentsRocks View Post
(which added the hassle of having to swap the CDs in the player)
One time I whipped my glass of Tang at the wall because my stereo was across the room and I was so mad about having to do this

Mom yelled at me and I couldn't make her understand

I had the last laugh when I tricked her into getting hooked on meth in retaliation

So really you could say having to switch CDs destroyed my family

Old 10-18-2018, 02:55 PM   #214
laradelocke
Apocalyptic Poster

Board seems less negative to me than it did in 05/06, but the negative ninnies have less of a sense of humour now and are a bit more aggressive. A lot of the negatroids have left and been replaced with amped-up versions.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #215
laradelocke
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
I can get why not everyone loves Adore but I don't get why anyone would say it "sucks"

Machina I love but could still understand why that criticism would get thrown around
I legitimately love and adore everything up to MACHINA 2. And I love TFE, and I loved Zwan. After that we all agree it wasn't the same, but I can't be hating on the man for changing his sound as he got old and fat and with child.

In this little netphoria bubble, and online in general, there are types who border on obsessive and rage-filled who take personal insult to the change. Those people actually truly, seriously suck and probably need some therapy. Critiquing shit is fun and cool and it helps all our brains stave off the inevitable for one more day.

I personally say wtf cares, chill the fuck out, smoke some weed and listen to electric wizard.

Getting old is awesome because I used to be upset by things that a man that I have never met chose to share with me - ie music. Now I only care about getting to sleep before 10pm.

This was just a basic rant. Sorry ha.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:03 PM   #216
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

I was never into TFE. I liked Zwan.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:06 PM   #217
laradelocke
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaguitar View Post
I was never into TFE. I liked Zwan.
Saw BC on TFE tour in Dublin and it was really, really good. One of my fondest concert memories.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:10 PM   #218
FoolofaTook

sleep >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> electric wizard

Old 10-18-2018, 03:27 PM   #219
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

I'm listening to Oceania again, to figure out why I couldn't get into it, and it's that the first five songs are killer, then it hits "One Diamond, One Heart" which is like the Run2Me of the album, and then all the tracks that follow have especially meandering composition, as if it were a musical score for a movie and not album tracks. Maybe if Jimmy had played on the album he could have made the songs coherent with his exceedingly dynamic drumming. I think those later tracks really reveal why Corgan and Byrne had to part ways after this record.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:29 PM   #220
redbreegull

http://oi67.tinypic.com/2a9v3vn.jpg

Old 10-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #221
ilikeplanets
Braindead

10/10 would fuck

Old 10-18-2018, 03:39 PM   #222
FoolofaTook

i feel the same way
(about clay)

Old 10-18-2018, 03:43 PM   #223
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

MonumentsRocks can't be CT if he doesn't like Oceania. Cause the dude is the biggest Corgan homer around and literally loves every single note he's ever recorded after he first discovered the band in 2007 when he was apparently finally allowed to listen to secular music. Talk about an SP poser. He's probably sitting there right now, very entertained, half smilin' with his faux hawk and perpetual 5 o'clock shadow, totally chuffed, self satisfied and smug as ever. And here's me supposedly putting soooooo much effort into hating the band, oh lord this post just took it all out of me!

Old 10-18-2018, 03:48 PM   #224
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

And I started thinking maybe this is the cause of all the negativity again--and I started thinking maybe this is the cause of all the negativity again--and I started thinking maybe this is the cause of all the negativity again--and I started thinking maybe this is the cause of all the negativity again--and I started thinking maybe this is the cause of all the negativity again--and I started thinking maybe this is the cause of all the negativity again--

Old 10-18-2018, 04:12 PM   #225
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

I realize I’m late to the initial question, but I’ve been here since the late 90’s. Back then this board was at least 20x as popular, and thus featured a much wider variety of personalities. Everyone was younger so tempers and passions ran hot. Some things I remember:

Since it was such a big community, you could meet people IRL at shows everywhere. Zwan shows in St Louis, Radiohead in Atlanta, Mogwai in DC, I met up with friendly netphorians.

There were also real bullies and trolls, not just the bored piss-takers we have now. I had someone stalk me on AIM and harass me constantly, thinking he “owned” me because he knew my last name. Ridiculous.

Everything was powered by the trading board and the l337 posters who were in with Billy, etc. There was something new to download or trade for all the time, and new secrets were being revealed. If you cared about the band you were rewarded for your time. People here were building and selling mics to tape the shows (shoutout to Zach Payne).

It’s always been a very negative place, ready to criticize rather than defend the band. The “coolest kids” in the honors high school, I suppose. And I think a lot of that was because smarter, older fans were here (people in their 20’s in the 90’s). But there was real stuff to argue about, so I think of it as critical, not negative. The discussions were actually worthwhile.

There’s just no one here now except the skeleton crew keeping the pipes from freezing. Why stick around if not to enjoy the same atmosphere: we’re the coolest pumpkins fans, but probably not the best.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #226
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

This place started around the Adore era which was also the start of Billy constantly talking shit about his fans.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:28 PM   #227
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah I think I used the SP newgroup before this place started. I recall all the discussion before and after MCIS on the newsgroup.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #228
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

The first big wave of negative backlash I remember was Jimmy being kicked out of the band. The fanbase has always been very fickle. Then Billy started his whole crying that the fans don't support him act during the Adore promotion. I remember feeling personally insulted by this as a fan who had been telling everyone he knew how great the album was.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:52 PM   #229
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

I was initially turned off by Adore and Machina but got hooked again when I downloaded Machina II in the fall of 2000. That's probably when I first started reading Netphoria in small doses. No memory of the Gen Chat board since I was mainly hanging out on the trading board.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:54 PM   #230
laradelocke
Apocalyptic Poster

one time, billy put a "<3" on my myspace wall. i near about died. thats how obsessed I used to be. I think there is a big group of younger, newer fans who have zero idea how pointless getting pissed at an old dude is. if they think they're disappointed, think how disappointed we are. haha. gotta put everything in perspective in life.

I also started listening to pumpkins at 9 years old when my sister brought home SD. She was 9 years older than me and they scared the shit out of me for two years (billy did), then became a terribly irrirtating hardcore fangirl at 11.

god im so embarrassed of myself.

someone mentioned meeting people off here. i have met a few. I met moe I believe (not sure if he still posts, hey moe) who has an SP and an alice in chains tribute band in Dublin, and his own band. Excellent musician and super cool. There has been a few others but I can't honestly remember them - or remember that I met them here. it's been wild.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:55 PM   #231
laradelocke
Apocalyptic Poster

and lawson whom everyone seems to hate now. i think i missed what happened there.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:58 PM   #232
laradelocke
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
sleep >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> electric wizard
thats like comparing krispy kreme and kfc my friend

Old 10-18-2018, 05:00 PM   #233
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by laradelocke View Post
and lawson whom everyone seems to hate now. i think i missed what happened there.
lawson suffered a drop in social standing after he regaled us with tales of dating a 12-year-old when he was 18, but waiting 'til she was 13 to kiss her.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:04 PM   #234
laradelocke
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
lawson suffered a drop in social standing after he regaled us with tales of dating a 12-year-old when he was 18, but waiting 'til she was 13 to kiss her.
is this thread archived anywhere? i'm super curious. i actually date his ex harmonica player from NAATI

Old 10-18-2018, 05:05 PM   #235
laradelocke
Apocalyptic Poster

i legit can't remember his username so not sure if searching would help.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:07 PM   #236
Kahlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by laradelocke View Post
someone mentioned meeting people off here. i have met a few. I met moe I believe (not sure if he still posts, hey moe) who has an SP and an alice in chains tribute band in Dublin, and his own band. Excellent musician and super cool. There has been a few others but I can't honestly remember them - or remember that I met them here. it's been wild.
Ah Moe, was that his username? I remember chatting to him. What happened to these people? I assume they just stopped living after I interacted with them and are trapped in amber, much like ex-girlfriends.

I've met a few netphorians over the years, mainly at the 2007 re-birth of brand SP in Paris. I miss those times, long before life grew complicated. I can't believe that was 11 years ago.

I'm off to cry in a corner.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:16 PM   #237
laradelocke
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo View Post
Ah Moe, was that his username? I remember chatting to him. What happened to these people? I assume they just stopped living after I interacted with them and are trapped in amber, much like ex-girlfriends.

I've met a few netphorians over the years, mainly at the 2007 re-birth of brand SP in Paris. I miss those times, long before life grew complicated. I can't believe that was 11 years ago.

I'm off to cry in a corner.
I can't remember what it was. My brain was soaked in Jack Daniels from 2005-2010. But yeah, Moe. He's a swell dude. We dont talk anymore but he is still a tr00 fan. He was over in the states recently following SP around like he does almost every tour.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:18 PM   #238
Kahlo

You think Irish people would know better than that. Jesus fuck.

I met him in Paris I think. He seemed cool. Did he have big ginger dreads or am I judging someone unfairly?

Old 10-18-2018, 05:21 PM   #239
laradelocke
Apocalyptic Poster

He did. His user name is BumbleBeeMouth

Old 10-18-2018, 05:29 PM   #240
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Mo? His username is Mo. He was Severin's nephew. His previous usernames were {the) antipop and tracy's flaw. He stopped posting, but he did visit the board this year.

Never met him; I did meet his uncle.