Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2018, 09:33 PM   #1
fuzzyroes
Banned

Default Anyone have Billys new signature guitar?

I've recently come into a bit of a windfall of money and I've been considering buying a new electric guitar. I was thinking of buying the Billy Reverend signature model, but it's more money than I anticipated. I was only looking to spend 700-800 dollars but the guitar retails at 1200$. I don't mind spending the extra money as guitars are always decent investments that aren't very hard to resell if need be.

I'm not much of a tech guy when it comes to guitars so I'm wondering what anyone with first hand experience with the guitar thinks and whether it's worth the money or not.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Old 09-25-2018, 09:36 PM   #2
T&T
Socialphobic

fenders have resale value
Reverends... I'm not sure.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:36 PM   #3
fuzzyroes
Banned

I initially didn't like the shape of the guitar that much, but the look has grown on me.

I think this color looks pretty sharp

https://images.reverb.com/image/uplo...zolz8hkudj.jpg

Old 09-25-2018, 09:45 PM   #4
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I want to play a Reverend cause several guitarists I really like have used them, but I don't think there is even a shop around here that carries them

Old 09-25-2018, 10:05 PM   #5
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
fenders have resale value
Reverends... I'm not sure.
Yeah, that's exactly my concern. I haven't kept up with the gear side with guitars for a long time and to be honest, it's never really been my trip. I'd just use any hunk of shit guitar and amp. I really know next to nothing about Reverend as a brand, so I'm uncertain if I wanna make the investment. But I'm a big fan of Billy's 90's guitar approach, and if he designed the guitar I have to imagine it's pretty nice.

I have a really nice acoustic guitar, but the only electrics I currently own are pretty low end. I have an early 90's squire strat with the pickups upgraded that is easy as hell to play and sounds pretty good and a Jackson flying V that sounds great but is hell to play sitting down. I just wan't something nice that can last me into middle-age and adulthood that I can use as my primary electric.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:09 PM   #6
slayed23
Ownz

If you are going to spend over a thousand, I would go Kirk Hammett's signature. It's so much more versatile IMO.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:15 PM   #7
fuzzyroes
Banned

I really wanna stick to the 800$ as the max I'd spend. But I've wanted a Corgan signature model for awhile now. I'd ideally go with the Fender model but it's out of production now. I know I can go the 2ndhand route, but I find that a little iffy to do online when it comes to guitars... Perhaps an irrational concern but one I feel nonetheless.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:21 PM   #8
slayed23
Ownz

Yeah his signature strat from 2007 was awesome. Both looks and playability. The one he has now I am sure plays nice but it just looks like a chick guitar lol.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:26 PM   #9
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

If you want a Corg-esque guitar just find a nice used Strat and throw some lace sensors in it. You could probably do that for $500 easily

Old 09-25-2018, 10:31 PM   #10
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
If you want a Corg-esque guitar just find a nice used Strat and throw some lace sensors in it. You could probably do that for $500 easily
I can personally assert that this is very feasible and your best option.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:50 PM   #11
fuzzyroes
Banned

Cool, I'll look into it.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:58 AM   #12
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I've recently come into a bit of a windfall of money and I've been considering buying a new electric guitar. I was thinking of buying the Billy Reverend signature model, but it's more money than I anticipated. I was only looking to spend 700-800 dollars but the guitar retails at 1200$. I don't mind spending the extra money as guitars are always decent investments that aren't very hard to resell if need be.

I'm not much of a tech guy when it comes to guitars so I'm wondering what anyone with first hand experience with the guitar thinks and whether it's worth the money or not.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
stfu and make up your own mind

Old 09-26-2018, 01:10 AM   #13
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

How much money did you get? Give us an idea and we will judge the amount you should properly spend on a decent guitar. Mathematically there is a formula that should be followed

Old 09-26-2018, 01:11 AM   #14
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

Also can I borrow 50 bucks?

Old 09-26-2018, 06:15 AM   #15
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

If you really, really want a Corgan guitar just buy a used American strat and put whatever pickups in it.

If you want just a good guitar take your 1200 bux to a big guitar shop and try everything out until you find something you love.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:20 AM   #16
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

I'd just put the money on some bets if I were you

Old 09-26-2018, 07:41 AM   #17
FoolofaTook

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post

Old 09-26-2018, 11:34 AM   #18
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

I had the Corg DiMarzio pickups for a while from that '07 sig and between the guitars they somehow disappeared, still looking out for them to this day

Old 09-26-2018, 12:48 PM   #19
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

Just buy new ones? They aren't expensive

Old 09-26-2018, 01:02 PM   #20
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

the ones I saw on eBay were around $300 for a set of 3. Don't know about you but that ain't exactly "pocket change" to me

Old 09-26-2018, 01:56 PM   #21
redbreegull

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayed23 View Post
The one he has now I am sure plays nice but it just looks like a chick guitar lol.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:58 PM   #22
FoolofaTook

http://sheshredsmag.com/wp-content/u...12/Wata2-1.jpg

f u slayed32

Old 09-26-2018, 02:24 PM   #23
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
To be fair, when I saw them in concert he was playing a Squier Mini "Lisa Frank Signature Series" guitar the whole show

Old 09-26-2018, 05:16 PM   #24
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

I own a Reverend, although not his signature, it's the Double Agent model, has really similar pickups. Guitar is great, records well, and definitely nails the buzz-saw tone. I've tried his signature tho, and I'd never spend the extra 400 on the tonal difference.

Just get a quality Fender and put in Blue/Silver/Red Lace Sensors and you'll be good. I did the same and its guaranteed to sound well.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:03 PM   #25
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
If you really, really want a Corgan guitar just buy a used American strat and put whatever pickups in it.
but finding a hardtail isn't very easy
and finding one with a good maple neck is even harder.

I've been looking for one to put together, grab a lace loaded pickguard off ebay, but the body and maple neck are not as common as you'd think...

Last edited by T&T : 09-26-2018 at 10:31 PM.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:47 PM   #26
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
How much money did you get? Give us an idea and we will judge the amount you should properly spend on a decent guitar. Mathematically there is a formula that should be followed
Won 3400 playing slots over the weekend. I've also been saving up and have been having a great run in NFL betting. Maybe not exactly a "windfall" for some folks, but it's nice to have a nice chunk of unexpected income.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:49 PM   #27
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
I don't use Pay-Pal, sorry brother.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:22 AM   #28
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
the ones I saw on eBay were around $300 for a set of 3. Don't know about you but that ain't exactly "pocket change" to me
Well they are $80 a piece. The signature strat had an air Norton in the middle position and a ridiculously complicated wiring system. You could buy all the parts you need and wire it yourself for less than that

Old 09-27-2018, 09:59 AM   #29
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

Don't get lace sensors who cares. People are way too hung up on that shit online. Pickup upgrades come after you find a guitar that feels nice and plays well. Your amp matters way more. I'd even argue a good set of strings (i.e, fresh D'Darrio NYXLs) will take you there with a decent guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
You can get a squire classic vibe 60s strat for $400. Laugh at the squire all you want, but go ahead and play one of these in store, read the reviews. It is a gig worthy guitar.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/...tric-Guitar.gc

Then with the extra $100 grab an EHX Big Muff OP-1 pedal. Yr in pumpkin territory on the cheap.

Or go ahead and spend $1200 on a Reverend with humbuckers. I've played them and they're not my bag. They also look hella lame. Maybe for Smash Mouth, not Smash Pump.

Old 09-27-2018, 01:17 PM   #30
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
I initially didn't like the shape of the guitar that much, but the look has grown on me.

I think this color looks pretty sharp

https://images.reverb.com/image/uplo...zolz8hkudj.jpg
The look of that guitar sums up present day Smashing Pumpkins.