Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2018, 12:10 PM   #181
johncg
Demi-God
 
johncg's Avatar
 
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
At least three seconds of the thing were nice!

 
johncg is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:34 PM   #182
FoolofaTook
Immortal
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Posts: 23,294
Default

THATS WAT SHE SAID

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:38 PM   #183
incubator
Demi-God
 
Posts: 273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whir34 View Post
No I just recognise a good music video when I see it.
This is a human reset to factory defaults. The most basic of basic.

 
incubator is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:00 PM   #184
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Forgotten Child's Avatar
 
Location: SP, Sao Paulo - Brazil
Posts: 2,353
Default

Well, they must be happy with the video, every music website is talking about it today.

 
Forgotten Child is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:15 PM   #185
brothahi4L
Demi-God
 
Posts: 348
Default

The video itself is funny embarrassing. Bring out the gimp.
But billy acts pretty well.

The song remains bad.
Billy cant write a good song and all those idiots who thought jimmy or james have a positive influence on the music or production hopefully recognize now- that neither jim nor james have any influence on anything that happens with the sp.
James doesnt give a shit and jimmy also plays for money

 
brothahi4L is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:09 PM   #186
houseofglass11
Apocalyptic Poster
 
houseofglass11's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,948
Default

pretty much every single once great artist releases lesser works in the twilight of their career. he’s just some rich guy chasing former glories now, not the hungry and ambitious young man he once was.

 
houseofglass11 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:34 PM   #187
slunken
Virgo
 
slunken's Avatar
 
Posts: 39,012
Default

I would love to see the written treatment for this video. It really does seem like something a seventh grader would dream up on the spot to entertain his friends during study hall. Constantly trying to top himself.

I imagine its written in pencil on a ripped out piece of notebook paper and the transition between each scene is just "AND THEN"

Think about it: "AND THEN he opens ANOTHER door. AND THEN there's a PREGNANT lady with MIMES standing around. WITH GUNS. AND THEN she GIVES BIRTH. TO NOTHING."

Fuck you guys this video is COOL.

 
slunken is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:34 PM   #188
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
 
wHATcOLOR's Avatar
 
Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!
Posts: 45,978
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
As it is he's just "acting" and he can't act.
Haha youre right, he really cant. Like when he throws a look over to the camera like a wanna be middle aged goth version of Jim halpert

 
wHATcOLOR is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:35 PM   #189
slunken
Virgo
 
slunken's Avatar
 
Posts: 39,012
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
Haha youre right, he really cant. Like when he throws a look over to the camera like a wanna be middle aged goth version of Jim halpert
"okay billy try to sneak out the door again. take 7."

 
slunken is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:41 PM   #190
Whir34
Pledge
 
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeadofnight View Post
So assuming you'd view Tonight, Tonight or Thirty Three as good videos, what about this makes it good?

I'm genuinely curious because I can't bear to watch it all the way through.
I would be happy to answer that question in the form of a brief review.

Firstly, I love the imagery and contrary to people thinking it is just a pretentious attempt to be deep with no real substance I think I do understand the meaning of the video.

As you can see the clothing that Billy is wearing is similar to the outfit he wore during the Mellon Collie era with the Zero T-Shirt except the zero has become the circular collar he is wearing. The girls that lead him around represent him being held to that image. He escapes and walk around and we can interpret the next bit as a representation of the darkness that pervades an seemingly innocent surburban environment. Or we can say that the people are looking at him with confusion about why he is straying where he is not supposed to be. Eventually he returns to the girls and the leash, forever restrained to his past. Trapped in his past legacy, unable to progress.

The video has extremely impressive symbolism that smacks you in the face and is unlike anything I have seen for a long time. The video is disturbing and makes you feel disturbed. Any video that can make you feel something is good in and of itself. It is rare that videos do that anymore unless you count feeling aroused watching half naked girls dancing around.


The video is also about the facades in society and the lyric "Im not everyone" is in tune with the people deprived of their own faces.

The video is not without its faults. Some of Billy's facial expressions and movements are a little awkward. He is not an actor after all but his performance in the video is ok.


To summarise, I like the video because it provokes, makes you analyse, makes you thing and conveys a message with real meaning and insight into how Billy feels about his current position in the music industry and maybe even the world. He cannot understand his place in the world now and he is trapped in the past.

I also love the imagery, it really gets underneath my skin.

Also, on a personal note - I love weird. I guess that is what got me into the Pumpkins in the first place right?

 
Whir34 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:49 PM   #191
slunken
Virgo
 
slunken's Avatar
 
Posts: 39,012
Default

Billy really does have a jangly walk that big tall piece of shit.


 
slunken is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:49 PM   #192
Whir34
Pledge
 
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
This is a human reset to factory defaults. The most basic of basic.
I have a university degree in finance and an IQ of 140.

I am not a basic thinker.

I am a complex thinker.

That is why I like complex videos.

But your insult is noted.

 
Whir34 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:52 PM   #193
slunken
Virgo
 
slunken's Avatar
 
Posts: 39,012
Default

RANK PULLED

 
slunken is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #194
Mals Marola
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Mals Marola's Avatar
 
Location: The Land of Austistic O-board Rejects, Retarded in All Ways
Posts: 4,650
Default

Man this has got to be the only fan community in the universe where the patrons actually want the band in question to "just go dad rock"

 
Mals Marola is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:58 PM   #195
Mals Marola
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Mals Marola's Avatar
 
Location: The Land of Austistic O-board Rejects, Retarded in All Ways
Posts: 4,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayed23 View Post
SP has always had off the wall videos. The good news now days though is that even if it is terrible, SP is not relevant enough to embarrass themselves. If it's bad, no one will care or notice.
I'm not so sure this is the case when Bill's getting "top 10 trending" for talking about shapeshifters on a radio show

 
Mals Marola is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:07 PM   #196
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird
 
topleybird's Avatar
 
Location: Where are you DeviousJ
Posts: 2,838
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whir34 View Post
I have a university degree in finance and an IQ of 140.
Why do they always know their IQswhy do they always know their IQs

 
topleybird is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:11 PM   #197
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
 
wHATcOLOR's Avatar
 
Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!
Posts: 45,978
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
"okay billy try to sneak out the door again. take 7."

"OK everyone, let's do the Jim Halpert!!"





"ok, karen, dwight -- nailed it. and almost billy, but like.. more at the camera"



"there ya go big guy!"

 
wHATcOLOR is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:11 PM   #198
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Forgotten Child's Avatar
 
Location: SP, Sao Paulo - Brazil
Posts: 2,353
Default

I only know my CS

 
Forgotten Child is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:20 PM   #199
WakaFlocka
Banned
 
Posts: 75
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whir34 View Post
I have a university degree in finance and an IQ of 140.

I am not a basic thinker.

I am a complex thinker.

That is why I like complex videos.

But your insult is noted.
Whoa now, not so fast! We're going to need a scan of this supposed degree so we can confirm it isn't some Photoshop job buddy. You can't just come on here bragging about education and stuff.

 
WakaFlocka is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:22 PM   #200
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster
 
BurtSampson's Avatar
 
Location: Billy's Buttcrack
Posts: 1,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whir34 View Post
I have a university degree in finance and an IQ of 140.

I am not a basic thinker.

I am a complex thinker.

That is why I like complex videos.

But your insult is noted.
Oblivious Virgin indeed

 
BurtSampson is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:32 PM   #201
incubator
Demi-God
 
Posts: 273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whir34 View Post
I would be happy to answer that question in the form of a brief review.

Firstly, I love the imagery and contrary to people thinking it is just a pretentious attempt to be deep with no real substance I think I do understand the meaning of the video.

As you can see the clothing that Billy is wearing is similar to the outfit he wore during the Mellon Collie era with the Zero T-Shirt except the zero has become the circular collar he is wearing. The girls that lead him around represent him being held to that image. He escapes and walk around and we can interpret the next bit as a representation of the darkness that pervades an seemingly innocent surburban environment. Or we can say that the people are looking at him with confusion about why he is straying where he is not supposed to be. Eventually he returns to the girls and the leash, forever restrained to his past. Trapped in his past legacy, unable to progress.

The video has extremely impressive symbolism that smacks you in the face and is unlike anything I have seen for a long time. The video is disturbing and makes you feel disturbed. Any video that can make you feel something is good in and of itself. It is rare that videos do that anymore unless you count feeling aroused watching half naked girls dancing around.


The video is also about the facades in society and the lyric "Im not everyone" is in tune with the people deprived of their own faces.

The video is not without its faults. Some of Billy's facial expressions and movements are a little awkward. He is not an actor after all but his performance in the video is ok.


To summarise, I like the video because it provokes, makes you analyse, makes you thing and conveys a message with real meaning and insight into how Billy feels about his current position in the music industry and maybe even the world. He cannot understand his place in the world now and he is trapped in the past.

I also love the imagery, it really gets underneath my skin.

Also, on a personal note - I love weird. I guess that is what got me into the Pumpkins in the first place right?
Aww good for you ! Im so happy that you enjoyed watching your first ever music video

 
incubator is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:34 PM   #202
johncg
Demi-God
 
johncg's Avatar
 
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whir34 View Post
I have a university degree in finance and an IQ of 140.

I am not a basic thinker.

I am a complex thinker.

That is why I like complex videos.

But your insult is noted.
HahahHahahahaha. You sound like Billy. Listing stupid ass achievements and credentials in order to prove how smart your fragile ego has a boo boo.

I am not a basic thinker. I am complex thinker.

Hahahahahahahahah. This has to be a troll.

 
johncg is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #203
Whir34
Pledge
 
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
Aww good for you ! Im so happy that you enjoyed watching your first ever music video
If that is all you have got then I am bored of speaking with you already.

 
Whir34 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:37 PM   #204
johncg
Demi-God
 
johncg's Avatar
 
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Why do they always know their IQswhy do they always know their IQs
IQ is a meaningless criterion. Beyond about 120, there is virtually no correlation in the research literature between intelligence and ability to achieve expertise in any particular field. Might as well be bragging about what you bench press. Who cares? Doesnt mean youre a good athlete, and laying on your back lifting a bar is a useless skill.

 
johncg is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:37 PM   #205
Whir34
Pledge
 
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
HahahHahahahaha. You sound like Billy. Listing stupid ass achievements and credentials in order to prove how smart your fragile ego has a boo boo.

I am not a basic thinker. I am complex thinker.

Hahahahahahahahah. This has to be a troll.
Ok if stupid ass achievements earn you a 6 figure salary then I am proud of mine.

 
Whir34 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:38 PM   #206
johncg
Demi-God
 
johncg's Avatar
 
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whir34 View Post
If that is all you have got then I am bored of speaking with you already.
You are definitely a troll. Good job, you got us going.

 
johncg is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:39 PM   #207
incubator
Demi-God
 
Posts: 273
Default

It’s me haha sorry guys

 
incubator is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:39 PM   #208
Whir34
Pledge
 
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
IQ is a meaningless criterion. Beyond about 120, there is virtually no correlation in the research literature between intelligence and ability to achieve expertise in any particular field. Might as well be bragging about what you bench press. Who cares? Doesnt mean youre a good athlete, and laying on your back lifting a bar is a useless skill.
A complex degree and high IQ proves you are capable of complex thought and not "basic" (as the first rather rude poster who clearly has no life so he needs to insult strangers) accused me of being.

 
Whir34 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:40 PM   #209
incubator
Demi-God
 
Posts: 273
Default

My “Border collie that can speak and just watched it’s first music video” character

 
incubator is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:41 PM   #210
incubator
Demi-God
 
Posts: 273
Default

Gee wiz I like shiny things and I hope that the red hot chilli peppers tour round here real soon

 
incubator is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In This Thread I Post Billys Tweets MyOneAndOnly Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion 1194 05-31-2017 05:06 PM
F the Beatles - Glee is way better anyway jammin General Chat Archive 41 10-08-2010 08:31 PM
File Sharing and its Effects on the Music Industry Dogfighter28 General Chat Archive 7 07-28-2009 05:35 PM
Interview with Justin Coloma about SuperChrist, with hints at G.L.O.W. video Shallowed Pumpkins Archive 7 12-02-2008 07:41 PM
Trent Reznor: Billy Sucks Kahlo Pumpkins Archive 598 09-14-2007 10:30 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:17 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2014