Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2018, 06:34 PM   #901
fuzzyroes
Braindead

Well, looks like Solara is off of all the charts already.

Only lasted 1 week on em all lol.

Can't be the sorta reaction Billy Corgan was hoping for with the big James/Jimmy comeback single.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:36 PM   #902
fuzzyroes
Braindead

Also worth noting that the video didn't help give the track any traction.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:09 PM   #903
PAPAOCTOPUS
Amish Rake Fighter

Also worth noting this was a D4N regurgitation with Shitgeist era production which makes me even more frightened for how the rest of these tracks will sound. There is just nothing enjoyable about this song whatsoever. The video seems to make the song even worse! This shit has me running back to the few tracks on Ogilala that still hold up around a year later now. Solara is only as good as the worst song on Monuments.

I think they said at least one of the new songs was birthed from an idea Jimmy came up with so why wouldn't they have just used that song or another one that was fresher that they collaborated on? Because I'm sure Billy just didn't care enough to spend the time with those guys to create a genuine SP album or EP of new tracks, it was easier to grab riffs and ideas of what he already had which came from an album he essentially said wasn't good enough to release anyway.

I'm also really curious why when BC/JC initially started working again there was discussion about a Zwan release and then somehow that completely disappeared or was abandoned. Wasn't it called "Dust & Ruin" or was this just speculative shit that came from here at some point?

Old 07-08-2018, 08:57 PM   #904
LoveIsSuicide42
Oblivious Virgin

Solara is actually better than Run2Me, so it would only be worse than 8 of the 9 songs on Monuments.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:19 PM   #905
fuzzyroes
Braindead

I think the sad reality is that the new music wasn't much of a priority with the comeback. That's made rather evident in Billys correspondence with D'arcy (Billy alludes to James not being very involved). It's clear that the primary focus is on the tour and that they just whipped together some songs to use as a promotional tool.

They wouldn't have used a Monuments era throwaway if they were serious about doing something special with the new music.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:31 PM   #906
Ram27
Minion of Satan

even if they weren't serious, 4 minutes of them bullshitting and jamming would've been better than that

Old 07-08-2018, 09:59 PM   #907
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post
Also with all the razzing Billy gets on here, I love the fact that he's still alive. I think that's why I give him the benefit of the doubt in some situations, though I'll heavily criticize him when it comes to stuff like the D'arcy fallout.
Well said.

I remember after one of the nights at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery last November, I had the thought that Chris Cornell was buried right across from where we were watching WPC play like 70 different songs over four nights and just being grateful that the lead singer of the band that resonated most with me from the 90s was still truckin' and had not succumbed to the fate of so many others.

Despite it all, I'll be loyal to that dude until the end.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:06 PM   #908
Zer0 Hour
Pledge

It's weird. I kinda like the song but I think I sort of forced myself to like it. Would I have given it a second listen if it wasn't the Pumpkins? Probably not.

I think my problem is that, from a guitar playing standpoint at least, it just feels lazy. The riffs are pretty good, but that's it. Are there any leads from James or Jeff in there? If there are, I can't hear them. It just sounds like they're all just playing the same chords. It reminds me of something like Transistor, a song I liked but I never understood why Billy felt the need to have something like 12 guitars all playing the same part.

I mean, if Billy and James were a couple of so-so talents with zero ability to shred, I could understand it. But they have the ability to play some really cool leads, and that's what I had hoped to hear from the new music. Instead, we get... this. It's okay, but just kinda generic. At least Jimmy is really trying.

The song at least is better than the video though. Fuck sake, what was Billy thinking with that bullshit?

Old 07-09-2018, 06:15 PM   #909
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
It's weird. I kinda like the song but I think I sort of forced myself to like it. Would I have given it a second listen if it wasn't the Pumpkins? Probably not.

I think my problem is that, from a guitar playing standpoint at least, it just feels lazy. The riffs are pretty good, but that's it. Are there any leads from James or Jeff in there? If there are, I can't hear them. It just sounds like they're all just playing the same chords. It reminds me of something like Transistor, a song I liked but I never understood why Billy felt the need to have something like 12 guitars all playing the same part.

I mean, if Billy and James were a couple of so-so talents with zero ability to shred, I could understand it. But they have the ability to play some really cool leads, and that's what I had hoped to hear from the new music. Instead, we get... this. It's okay, but just kinda generic. At least Jimmy is really trying.

The song at least is better than the video though. Fuck sake, what was Billy thinking with that bullshit?
Welcome to Netphoria Zer0 Hour, tell us about yourself

Old 07-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #910
Zer0 Hour
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
Welcome to Netphoria Zer0 Hour, tell us about yourself
Hey, thanks for the welcome! I've actually been here before; I used to post under another name years ago (Pugg Superstar), but for the life of me, I can't remember my password or what email account I had back then, so I had to create a new name.

All that aside, I've been Pumpkins fan forever, but it's been tough over the past decade or so. I could live with Billy putting out shitty music or just generally being a douche, but once he started hanging out with Alex Jones, I pretty much renounced my fandom. But... given that 3/4 of the original lineup is back together, I broke down and bought a ticket to see them play this month.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:29 AM   #911
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
But... given that 3/4 of the original lineup is back together, I broke down and bought a ticket to see them play this month.
lolololo! loser!

Old 07-10-2018, 09:17 AM   #912
Zer0 Hour
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
lolololo! loser!
I seriously wouldn't be surprised if my friends and I are the only three people in the arena.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #913
FoolofaTook
Immortal

i srsly wouldn't be surprised if you bumped into a suave and dapper mormon in the arena.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:15 PM   #914
Zer0 Hour
Pledge

Does he have any hot sister wives?

Old 07-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #915
FoolofaTook
Immortal