Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2017, 12:45 AM   #211
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post

As for stand up? Most of it is bad.
Ok, so I wish we'd started here. We just have different sense of humour. Louis cK's canon doesn't need that joke and it's not like it's a part of his schtick, to consider offensive words. So it doesn't matter.

Looks like we'd disagree on whether most standup is funny, so it's not surprising we disagree about a joke as loaded as this one is. I'm sorry for arguing with you about it.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:45 AM   #212
Eulogy
huh

I don't think anyone is being vicious in this thread. Just short sighted.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:46 AM   #213
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Ok, so I wish we'd started here. We just have different sense of humour. Louis cK's canon doesn't need that joke and it's not like it's a part of his schtick, to consider offensive words. So it doesn't matter.

Looks like we'd disagree on whether most standup is funny, so it's not surprising we disagree about a joke as loaded as this one is. I'm sorry for arguing with you about it.
That wasn't intended to be your easy out. Stand up is bad because it is lazy and does shit like we're talking about. Not because I don't get it. My god.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:47 AM   #214
Eulogy
huh

Why am I here again

Old 08-11-2017, 12:47 AM   #215
Bread Regal
Banned

it's not a question as to whether it's funny

Old 08-11-2017, 12:48 AM   #216
Bread Regal
Banned

was anyone arguing about whether the bit was funny?

Old 08-11-2017, 12:48 AM   #217
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
I'm not going to tell a black person they're wrong for how they react to a white comedian basing a bit on the word nigger

I imagine that makes sense to you. Why doesn't this?
I'm not saying you're wrong. You're actually telling me that I'm wrong and that he's wrong. You're saying there's no way that joke isn't anti gay, and there's no way to laugh at it without being anti gay. I disagree with that as someone who isn't anti gay but who laughed at the joke.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:49 AM   #218
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
I disagree with that as someone who isn't anti gay but who laughed at the joke.
I think this is what you call having your cake and eating it too.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:49 AM   #219
Bread Regal
Banned

yeah this is exhausting. don't you have children to rear, you breeder

Old 08-11-2017, 12:49 AM   #220
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
I'm not saying you're wrong. You're actually telling me that I'm wrong and that he's wrong. You're saying there's no way that joke isn't anti gay, and there's no way to laugh at it without being anti gay. I disagree with that as someone who isn't anti gay but who laughed at the joke.
Yes I am telling you two straight people that you are wrong because you are unless you enjoy the suffering of marginalized people

Old 08-11-2017, 12:50 AM   #221
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
That wasn't intended to be your easy out. Stand up is bad because it is lazy and does shit like we're talking about. Not because I don't get it. My god.
'Stand up is bad because it is lazy'

I mean, we disagree about that. We disagree about the nature of stand up comedy. So it makes sense that we would disagree about a controversial stand up bit. That's all I meant with that.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:51 AM   #222
Eulogy
huh

You getting a chuckle doesn't lessen my suffering. Can you seriously not get that? I know you're not pat Buchanan but it's not a binary choice.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:52 AM   #223
Shallowed
Braindead

Man, I hate that expression. I understand that its meaning is hidden in the language of it, like you can't have your cake once you've eaten it, but it's still bullshit, like of course you can HAVE your cake and EAT it too, you can do it simultaneously if you take "have" to mean the same as "eat", like who says "have a piece of cake" to not mean "eat a piece of cake", who the fuck has a piece of cake but doesn't eat it??

Old 08-11-2017, 12:52 AM   #224
Eulogy
huh

Bad stand up is bad because it is lazy. I left out a word.

Again. Birbiglia. Mullaney. Both good. Both manage to not be dicks. It's been done.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:55 AM   #225
Eulogy
huh

Also I know faggot and nigger carry different kinds of weights but the lol faggot people really don't want to even address the analogy

Old 08-11-2017, 12:55 AM   #226
Bread Regal
Banned

do you like maria bamford? she's top 3 for me.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:56 AM   #227
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Yes I am telling you two straight people that you are wrong because you are unless you enjoy the suffering of marginalized people
I'm not actually straight. I had a girlfriend in high school and several crushes on girls. Queer people I know also laughed at the joke. So what do you say to them?

Old 08-11-2017, 12:56 AM   #228
Eulogy
huh

Be intellectually honest. Just admit you think racism is bad but two guys fucking is worth a laugh

Old 08-11-2017, 12:56 AM   #229
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
I'm not actually straight. I had a girlfriend in high school and several crushes on girls. Queer people I know also laughed at the joke. So what do you say to them?
Respect the queer people that don't.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:57 AM   #230
Eulogy
huh

I can't with this. Bye.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:58 AM   #231
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i don't even feel like bothering putting up a wall of text for this, but how about you guys stop being dense and realize that "gay" is currently not on the same level of taboo insult as "nigger". maybe you'd like it to, or you think it should be, but it's not. so that comparison is null.

but even regardless of that, why don't you guys accuse comedians of "being lazy" when they base their bits on being sexist (women be shoppin'! amirite?), or on racial/cultural differences, or on foreign accents or whatever. 90 percent of all comedians do this. are they all raging insensitive pricks with no respect for their fellow man?

you guys have the right to be offended by a joke and think it's tasteless, but entertainers and comedians still have the right to tell them as long as they're not crossing a big fat red line.

and "flipping through your phone like a gay french king", while not being particularly funny, is not that joke. and it makes as much fun of french people as it does gay people.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:00 AM   #232
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

great you guys already covered most points i made and my post is totally irrelevant

Old 08-11-2017, 01:10 AM   #233
Bread Regal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i don't even feel like bothering putting up a wall of text for this, but how about you guys stop being dense and realize that "gay" is currently not on the same level of taboo insult as "nigger". maybe you'd like it to, or you think it should be, but it's not. so that comparison is null.
they are similar in that they are words used to otherize and systematically oppress a class of people.

Quote:
but even regardless of that, why don't you guys accuse comedians of "being lazy" when they base their bits on being sexist (women be shoppin'! amirite?), or on racial/cultural differences, or on foreign accents or whatever. 90 percent of all comedians do this. are they all raging insensitive pricks with no respect for their fellow man?
you're right. misogyny is horribly pervasive in comedy and should not be tolerated either. i would also defer to the judgement of women in their opinions on whether that kind of comedy is harmful to women.

Quote:
you guys have the right to be offended by a joke and think it's tasteless, but entertainers and comedians still have the right to tell them as long as they're not crossing a big fat red line.
LITERALLY NOBODY IS ARGUING THIS. FUCK.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:42 AM   #234
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

watch your temper. remember what the doctor said.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:23 AM   #235
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
I can't with this. Bye.
Sorry. (Really)

Old 08-11-2017, 07:21 AM   #236
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
Man, I hate that expression. I understand that its meaning is hidden in the language of it, like you can't have your cake once you've eaten it, but it's still bullshit, like of course you can HAVE your cake and EAT it too, you can do it simultaneously if you take "have" to mean the same as "eat", like who says "have a piece of cake" to not mean "eat a piece of cake", who the fuck has a piece of cake but doesn't eat it??
I always just accepted it b/c my shame is deep enough to accept that i should never get to do or eat anything fun: "here's some cake. Wait! don't eat it. Good fucking god you were going to EAT that cak weren't you!!! You're such an evil shit"

Same thing with sex, exactly. I know sex is bad (thanks Mom thanks church I KNOW I KNOW) but I also know I fucken like it so much b/c (the answers/final solution, of course) i'm bad!

So what's someone who's bad going to choose to do this Friday night might as well drink booze after booze until maybe someone bad dies bahahahaha!!!!

Old 08-11-2017, 07:40 AM   #237
Shallowed
Braindead

I am also drunk, I think I'm in the wrong thread.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:12 AM   #238
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post

and "flipping through your phone like a gay french king", while not being particularly funny, is not that joke. and it makes as much fun of french people as it does gay people.
https://i.imgur.com/VajAGFC.png

Old 08-11-2017, 08:14 AM   #239
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

~*edgelord central*~

Old 08-11-2017, 08:43 AM   #240
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Sorry. (Really)
doubt it