Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2018, 01:00 AM   #61
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_princess View Post
You know why we come here? And by "we" I mean the "negative" (read: critical and have non-sycophantic opinions) fans... Netphoria is basically like a support group for recovering SP addicts.
this plus no censorship. it's the most honest community of fans. people argue here over stupid shit, but point is, we can

Old 10-17-2018, 02:48 AM   #62
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Netphoria was positive around Arising! Tour, but then key events led us down this path.

Machina production disappointed some, but most were still positive about the band.
D'arcy leaving, but the board liked Auf Der Maur.
M2 and the split announcement / Metro show / Greatest Hits was a fairly positive time.
Early Zwan was positive.
MSTOTS clipping, Honestly and the meltdown of Zwan didn't go down well.
TFE got a muted response but still vaguely positive.
Around this point, Billy started saying shit and sounding like an arsehole.
Folks liked Tarantula and ZG initially, but that went sour pretty quickly.
Billy's production and vocal style went down the toilet.
The 20th anniversary shows really damaged him.
Attacking former band mates in the media, even Jimmy after he left.
Shitting on a fan who asked for 1979 after the show.

At this point Bill had a lot of bad blood here, and it seemed he was actually aware of it and started shit-talking Netphoria as "not real fans".

Then he launched Teargarden which was produced like shit and he never completed.
Recruited Mike Byrne.
Commented he'd made one of his best albums but never released it.
Became friends with Monte and formed the SPRC, announced reissues. Did a cruise.
Continued to be a dick in interviews.
News story surface from co-workers, bands portraying Corgan as a abusive twat.
The pedal-gate scandal.
Seemed more interested in tea and wrestling.
Released Oceania to a mediocre response.
Abandoned more projects. Paused the reissues.
Did a weird performance of A Broken Heart with some wrestlers.
Threw Mike Byrne and Nicole under a bus.
Started hanging out on Alex Jones' Infowars.
People & Their Cars.com
Released MTAE - preceded by a cringe-worthy blog and was a low-effort misconceived 2-part album.
Had a kid and toured America being a douchebag.
Abandoned Day For Night.
Reformed the Pumpkins without D'arcy scandal.
etc. etc. Huge dick to fans on Instagram.
Current tour.

Twenty years in a nutshell.

Last edited by VoxUpDoc : 10-17-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:49 AM   #63
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentsRocks View Post
The way you really go out of your way to say it "fucking sucks" and is "awful music" it reminds me of Billy talking about how much he definitely doesn't care about what D'arcy's doing. He cares.
of course I care. I already said I have an everlasting curiosity with what is happening with Bill because of the impact his old music had on me. that doesn't mean I secretly love his awful output.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:10 AM   #64
ava transformer
Apocalyptic Poster

Been here since 1999? maybe 2000
2000 was the best year to be an SP fan
The signings, Resume The Pose, Summersault, Jay Leno, The United Center, Metro.. Even Zwan beginnings was a good time.
It was pretty racist &misogynistic then.. Some posters unfortunately still keep that going.
People showing nudes..that in retrospect is not good & sadly may still be on my hard drive some where.
GOATSE & LEMON PARTY... clicking on a thread about some leaked new song..only to see a leaking anus.
LEET AS FUCK
And I remember being made fun of in the IAGW DVD..

Old 10-17-2018, 04:20 AM   #65
Slygmous
Ikari Rake Warrior

I originally joined in late 1998 under a different name, I remember the Halloween show and the debut of Cash Car Star being discussed. My first post was in a thread about favourite guitar solos (I think).

The place was your average fan board for the time back then, you had the negative types and trolls around but the general atmosphere was positive towards the band.
Things were gradually going more sour in 2000 following D'Arcy's departure, and it's only gotten worse from there.
I was here for the triple troll, the 2000 signings, the breakup and D'Arcy leaving. Hell I think I'm the only person to remember the official site webmaster losing their shit and spamming the mailing list with love letters to Billy before declaring that they quit!

I also remember 1nclud3 being banned (it was because people could format their posts to break the threads). I still have the MP3 of Tear from 2000 (radio broadcast) saved, it was burned onto a data disc and had the original creation date of the day after.
I think I have some old dodgy meme pictures saved from the early 2000s on an old HDD, I'll go dig them up if people are interested (mostly offtopic crap though, stuff like the gifs DeviousJ used to create... is he still around?)

Old 10-17-2018, 04:39 AM   #66
ava transformer
Apocalyptic Poster

Oh and when Netphoria was down going to Blamo was the thing to do.. They were Sad Machines before Sad Machines..Blamo2:Electric Boogaloo

Old 10-17-2018, 05:15 AM   #67
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet17 View Post
I might be the only pre-2000 person here so far? This username is dated 2000, but I was here on another username before that. Perhaps 97-98?
I've had a few usernames over the years, this is the longest running one I've had. I was certainly here in the 90s while I was at uni, I cant remember the exact year I started on here but I recall using the internet for the first time in January 1995 and was finding Pumpkins websites back then.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:22 AM   #68
Kahlo

Aww, I felt a bit of sadness there thinking about Blamo. It was kind of the kids pool/training pool before you graduated to Netphoria. That was a great little community.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:50 AM   #69
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
you may be the last person living who remembers this ancient tale. want to share?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
really want to hear the story of why i n c l u d e is banned. it has always seemed so random
it was just explained in another thread

there was some html code that people used to crash threads and it really fucked with the board. it included the word include so by banning that word you couldn't crash the board

also

include INCLUDE include include include

includeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeincludeinclude

Old 10-17-2018, 06:12 AM   #70
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

Before the negativity, with the right ears, you could hear the gentle sound of windfucker on the breeze.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:30 AM   #71
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo View Post
Aww, I felt a bit of sadness there thinking about Blamo. It was kind of the kids pool/training pool before you graduated to Netphoria. That was a great little community.
Blamo's Gen board was the shit. I think they had the biggest Kill Hannah and Elliott Smith communities on the webs at one point.

Not sure why it shut down though

Old 10-17-2018, 06:52 AM   #72
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Default True that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Netphoria was positive around Arising! Tour, but then key events led us down this path.

Machina production disappointed some, but most were still positive about the band.
D'arcy leaving, but the board liked Auf Der Maur.
M2 and the split announcement / Metro show / Greatest Hits was a fairly positive time.
Early Zwan was positive.
MSTOTS clipping, Honestly and the meltdown of Zwan didn't go down well.
TFE got a muted response but still vaguely positive.
Around this point, Billy started saying shit and sounding like an arsehole.
Folks liked Tarantula and ZG initially, but that went sour pretty quickly.
Billy's production and vocal style went down the toilet.
The 20th anniversary shows really damaged him.
Attacking former band mates in the media, even Jimmy after he left.
Shitting on a fan who asked for 1979 after the show.

At this point Bill had a lot of bad blood here, and it seemed he was actually aware of it and started shit-talking Netphoria as "not real fans".

Then he launched Teargarden which was produced like shit and he never completed.
Recruited Mike Byrne.
Commented he'd made one of his best albums but never released it.
Became friends with Monte and formed the SPRC, announced reissues. Did a cruise.
Continued to be a dick in interviews.
News story surface from co-workers, bands portraying Corgan as a massive twat.
The pedal-gate scandal.
Seemed more interested in tea and wrestling.
Released Oceania to a mediocre response.
Abandoned more projects. Paused the reissues.
Did a weird performance of A Broken Heart with some wrestlers.
Threw Mike Byrne and Nicole under a bus.
Started hanging out on Alex Jones' Infowars.
People & Their Cars.com
Released MTAE - preceded by a cringe-worthy blog and was a low-effort misconceived 2-part album.
Had a kid and toured America being a douchebag.
Abandoned Day For Night.
Reformed the Pumpkins without D'arcy scandal.
etc. etc. Huge dick to fans on Instagram.
Current tour.

Twenty years in a nutshell.

This pretty well sums up why there´s so much hate and negativity about bollyboy

HE is still a dick insulting fans randomly.

But most of it he had no real success with his shitty albums with shitty lyrics, shitty vocals and shitty mixes in the last 20 years.

reading the shiny review here gives me hope that people will shit on it like hell.
i come here cause it´s funny and you can say what you think.

ps: people would be way more positive if billy was nicer to fans around the globe.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:54 AM   #73
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

can really feel the presence of your nazi blood through your posts

Old 10-17-2018, 07:34 AM   #74
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
i remember clicking on links only to find pictures of prolapsed anuses.
LOL

Yeah I was a member of this board back in 2007 because I was really excited about the forthcoming reunion album (ah, remember what it was like to have hope?). I remember someone posting a link they said was to the new single (Tarantula) and like an idiot, I immediately clicked on it.

It opened a video of a bunch 80-year-old men sucking each other’s dicks. Mind you, this happened while I was at work. Luckily I was able to close the video really fast before anyone saw but my God, that was awful.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:52 AM   #75
FoolofaTook

lemonparty!

Old 10-17-2018, 09:15 AM   #76
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
LOL

Yeah I was a member of this board back in 2007 because I was really excited about the forthcoming reunion album (ah, remember what it was like to have hope?). I remember someone posting a link they said was to the new single (Tarantula) and like an idiot, I immediately clicked on it.

It opened a video of a bunch 80-year-old men sucking each other’s dicks. Mind you, this happened while I was at work. Luckily I was able to close the video really fast before anyone saw but my God, that was awful.
that right there was the netpho I fell in love with

Old 10-17-2018, 09:35 AM   #77
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Come to think of it, I must have been lurking around here during the solo album. I remember it turning into a show-by-show fight between him and the fans. And people liking the live non-album tracks more than the actual tracks. That was when I thought that Billy would "get it together" with the next release... lol

I do remember it being very negative here and it seeming like everyone was always attacking one another and trying to out do one another with cheap insults.

Strange to think that the board was excited for music before Machina and that that was considered a let down. Oh what disappointments were still to come...

Old 10-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #78
FoolofaTook

i remember the LOUD AT ANY VOLUME debacle during msots.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:27 AM   #79
s0ss
Demi-God

The purple board was better.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:44 AM   #80
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
i remember the LOUD AT ANY VOLUME debacle during msots.
and now it's 2018 and MSOTS was like a minor loudness war offense compared to what he puts out nowadays

Old 10-17-2018, 10:50 AM   #81
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
lemonparty!
That's the one!

Lemonparty, goatse...surprised nobody's mentioned Tubgirl yet so there's what I considered the trifecta of horror back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentsRocks View Post
I think that, secretly, everybody who claims to hate modern SP output actually really like it. If you're here, you love MtaE as much as I do, you're just afraid to admit it. If you really don't like a band, you leave them behind.
Respectfully, no. Personally, I don't hate "modern SP" - there's no specific line I draw in the sand where I say "the band thoroughly sucks after this point". There's a varied number of tracks on most post-breakup works that I consider listenable to downright great.

But MTaE specifically disappoints me because it comes across as a very transparent attempt to catch mainstream attention by angling for a Coldplay sound and current music trends by creating a short, poppy, digestible, un-challenging work without any palpable amount of effort put into it: bite-size paint-by-numbers SP with no lyrical depth. I know BC can do better, always contended he could, and to see him throw out a work that reeked of desperation was as disappointing as it was sad.

There's tapping into current tastes and trends to inform your output - I remember well the comparisons between Machina and the Nu-metal sound - and there's following along with nothing of your own to offer, and that's what MTaE feels like to me.

I don't like the term "sell-out" and never have. I don't give a shit what sound a band turns to if that's where their muse takes them. MTaE didn't feel earnest, and coming from a band that already put out a shirt back in in 1993 or so admitting they "sold out", I never thought Bill actually really did in the truest sense of the term until he put that album out. I'll go to bat for half of ZG, about half of Oceania, and one or two tracks off TG. But fuck MTaE forever.

For all the grief it's caused, I always respected Bill for a lot for his stubborn "my way or the highway" attitude, but that album was him throwing his hands up in the air in a desperate bid for some kind of attention. I'm convinced he's secretly ashamed of it, and it's the real reason he shitcanned Day For Night - it was going to be more of the same and he saw it was getting him nowhere. And maybe he knew he could do better.

And I'm specifically here because :

A) This is basically the last standing big place with SP history and it feels proper to be a part of it

B) There is a sense of community on a message board not matched by the likes of Reddit

C) Negativity and trolling aside I enjoy discussing SP with people I know have been longtime fans and reading a wide array of diverse opinions.

D) Hot leeks yo

E) I'm also not going to be part of any fucking community that censors criticism and encourages sycophancy. I don't give a shit what the Sad Machines members do with their lives but I'd rather not hang around where love for a band outweighs the capacity for analysis, discussion and informed interpretation. There is no such thing as a band with a flawless discography (cue the Boris joke here).

F) There are really good people here and I like interacting with them. Obvs.

G) For some reason I do still want to believe the band is capable of putting out good stuff again. There are occasions like Silvery Sometimes where I feel I'm justified in that.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #82
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slygmous View Post
I think I have some old dodgy meme pictures saved from the early 2000s on an old HDD, I'll go dig them up if people are interested (mostly offtopic crap though, stuff like the gifs DeviousJ used to create... is he still around?)
Oh my God, yes please,

DeviousJ stopped posting years and years ago and I will never stop praying for his safe return, so anything he made you can dig up would be a blessing to the board

Old 10-17-2018, 11:21 AM   #83
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Oh my God, yes please,

DeviousJ stopped posting years and years ago and I will never stop praying for his safe return, so anything he made you can dig up would be a blessing to the board
you need to check out this thread, surprisingly enough some of the old images are still there:

Last edited by smashingjj : 10-17-2018 at 11:42 AM.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:24 AM   #84
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody
The pedal-gate scandal.
This is downplaying the actual issue massively. Billy threatened violence against and misgendered a transwoman. And SO MUCH of the community brushed it off as "who cares Devi is crazy." Which shows the ingrained transphobia that still exists, despite multiple boarders coming out as trans themselves. For me, this was Belly directly hurting my friends by passing off this behaviour/language as acceptable. For all his posturing on Instagram to his LGBTQ+ fans about "how much it means" to him that they're fans, he has never done ANYTHING for the community and never will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
Very well said... from another old schooler. When did you first stumble into this place?
LOL well I stumbled upon Netphoria bc I had an old Geocities page with like a "101 reasons James is cooler than Billy" thing and someone alerted me that there was a thread about it. I joined in and stuck around. Before Netpho, I mostly just chatted at smashing-pumpkins.net

Old 10-17-2018, 11:29 AM   #85
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Quote:
yeah i wonder if there is any other artist out there as hated by his fans as b0llzeboob
Morrissey

Old 10-17-2018, 11:33 AM   #86
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Lars Ulrich

Old 10-17-2018, 11:37 AM   #87
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Red face

[quote=smashingjj;4472663]you need to check out this thread, surprisingly enough some of the old images are still there:

Jesus Christ, you got me, you actually got me

Last edited by smashingjj : 10-17-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:38 AM   #88
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
and now it's 2018 and MSOTS was like a minor loudness war offense compared to what he puts out nowadays
So true.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:42 AM   #89
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

First signed up in 99, I think. Never posted (way too self-conscious to unleash Not-English on native speakers), but printed whatever I figured was worth keeping. Tabs, all lyrics, some articles. I have that binder to this day, it keeps moving with me from country to country, can't bring myself to throw it away.

Don't remember my reasoning for highlighting lyrics back then.

https://i.imgur.com/f0eQW3E.jpg?1

Old 10-17-2018, 12:33 PM   #90
MonumentsRocks
Ownz