Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #301
MisterSquishyHalo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougieZero View Post
Why didn't he use Ginger or Lisa as additional vocals? Does the Itunes stuff have credits? I wouldn't be surprised if it was just Jimmy and Billy.
Its because they were on a well deserved vacation.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #302
hnibos
Braindead

im sure that was exactly the reason

Old 01-01-2008, 05:53 PM   #303
Ramdust
Apocalyptic Poster

Again: C
Sunkissed: B
Pox: A
Rose March: A-

Old 01-01-2008, 05:56 PM   #304
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

no surprise that the ep didn't turn out to be exactly acoustic. bogus statement from billy as to recording the residency songs - 1 out of 4. not that i give a shit, but why even say this?

billy has to stop doing all the backing vocals. and singing like he has post-2000. of course, he won't do either: at this stage he is impervious to criticism regarding his vocals.

it sounds like rtb produced the rose march, at a guess.

again, again, again sounds zwan-ish, probably due to the vocals more than anything. okay, but nothing special.

the vocal fuckery on the rose march is by far the most annoying. the song is still okay except for the terrible intro; trim the first 0:34 off and improve it immensely.

sunkissed is a fine track, building nicely around 1:45.

pox reminded me of alice in chains, for some reason. again, a good song.

so, 2 good songs, with 2 so-so. i will buy this when it becomes available in europe.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:58 PM   #305
xyumachine
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoga View Post
The Again, Again, Again song is also from the Pete Townshend gig. I wonder if all of them were written back in 2006.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoga View Post
from the lyrics
how do you know this? how did you compare the lyrics to this song and the supposed Townshend gig version? care to share details?

Old 01-01-2008, 06:05 PM   #306
Mayfuck
Banned

again and pox are pretty forgettable and boring. and even though sunkissed and rose march are okay, i dont have the urge to listen to them again. i thought billy still wrote good acoustic songs.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:10 PM   #307
MonkeyMan
Demi-God

Upon further listens, I'd rank them like this from best to worst:

Pox
The Crux
Sunkissed
Rose March

Rose March isn't bad, but it pisses me off a bit since I think the live version is MUCH better.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:16 PM   #308
smashingdreams
Oblivious Virgin

it seems to me that billy viewed the ep as an opportunity to be more experimental, knowing that it wouldn't be a major release and subject to the endless criticism and analysis that full length releases endure. i sort of consider it as a test run for their next major release. billy probably realized that things like the intro to the rose march might end up sounding ridiculous, but that this was the time to try it and see what happens.

that said, i think there are some bright spots here. sunkissed has a nice vibe similiar to 99 hours/floors (whatever it's called). i really the acoustic/organ combination. hopefully, that shows up again, again, again somewhere.

god that joke was awful.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:17 PM   #309
Cherub Angel
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm with the people who don't understand the hate for the EP. Agreed that it's more produced than I would have liked, but it's not crap.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #310
MonkeyMan
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub Angel View Post
I'm with the people who don't understand the hate for the EP. Agreed that it's more produced than I would have liked, but it's not crap.
That's about what I think. It took me a couple listens to get into, but I'm liking it. Rose March still bothers me a bit, but I think I'll get used to it.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:24 PM   #311
Netphorian Gadabout
The Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh sh shayne View Post
Still nothing near as good as the TRACK zangief, almost makes buy'n the target one worth it :/
http://www.zangief.net/images/zangief0.gif

Old 01-01-2008, 06:28 PM   #312
Cherub Angel
Apocalyptic Poster

also, I don't mind the addition of electric guitar at all. If there's anything I'll criticize it's Corgan's backing vocals. Parts are fine, but some are either too high in the mix or just unnecessary (most of this is in "Rose March")

It is interesting how reviews of this thing are pretty mixed on what songs people like and dislike. Some like Rose March, others are crying. Some love Pox, others hate it. Further proves my theory that everyone has a different vision of this band.

Last edited by Cherub Angel : 01-01-2008 at 06:36 PM.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:39 PM   #313
Frankenstein
Banned

note to self: people are different

Old 01-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #314
Cherub Angel
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
note to self: people are different

http://scottthong.files.wordpress.co...ividuality.jpg

Old 01-01-2008, 06:49 PM   #315
Lucy Faringold
Oblivious Virgin

Wow, can't fathom why so many people aren't feeling this release. It has surpassed all my expectations and I absolutely love it. It has a great, loose feel which is in marked contrast to the style of Zeitgeist, and it's so nice to hear a groove like the one that drives Pox. There's so much subtle variation across just four tracks, I'm so pleased Corgan is still writing songs as good as these. The combination of organ and guitar on Sunkissed is just dreamy and generally they seem to have taken a lot of care to get the production right. I can see this growing to be one of my favourite SP releases in fact. Well done lads!

Old 01-01-2008, 06:49 PM   #316
Wasabi
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
the non pronouncing of consonants drives me fucking mad too.. literaly i shout out "stop that!" everytime he does it.

WHY WHY WHY the FUCK has he started doing that? WHY? it is beyond annoying.
I do the literal shouting of 'cut it the fuck out' all over the place ... it is infuriating ... especially from a guy who used to pride himself on his lyrical ability and not so much his vocal quality....

sigh.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:50 PM   #317
stephen_bayne
Demi-God

This EP managed to grow on me overnight. I'm even starting to come around on The Crux. Then again when it comes to Billy's music I'm like Dale Kerrigan when his wife serves him up a meal. I'm sure the Aussies on the board will get my meaning.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:00 PM   #318
sh sh shayne
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkins23836 View Post
that should have been the cover of zeitgiest.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #319
sh sh shayne
Ownz

i think im the only person that didnt like the rose march in it's 9 minute form, nor do i really like it in the 4 minute form.

:/

really picked the wrong residency song. oh well

Old 01-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #320
i_adore_adore
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I found this very interesting and strangely hypnotic to read.
I'm a witch

Quote:
generally they seem to have taken a lot of care to get the production right.
I guess if Billy's vocals overpowering the music=good production, then you're right. However, I'm almost immune to it from listening to Zeitgeist so much. I think they probably did take a lot of time to get the production the way they wanted it, but I guess it just isn't my thing.

Upon a second listen, "Again Again Again" (while having quite an obnoxious title) isn't as awful as I thought. Still my least favorite song, but not terrible. "POX" is still great. I predicted that I'd like this song based on "DIA" and "PSA" being my favorite songs from Billy's & Jimmy's solo albums. And I was right! I'm a psychic. Three-letter song titles OWN.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #321
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

i don't like it, but since it only cost $4 and we didn't have to wait years and years for it, i'm not bothered or upset at all. it's so much easier to take them at face value when there's no so much stupid buildup. i agree with the others that have said he kind of messed rose march up by adding too many flourishes, it stood on its own better. and the way he's done his vocals lately is just not pleasant. as weird as his voice has always been, it was very pleasant on everything up to adore, and not even too bad on machina, but now it seems more harsh/irritating

Old 01-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #322
T&T
Socialphobic

AAC → 320mp3 is hurting my ears...

i want a lossless rip...

can someone try
AAC → wave(burn a cd) → flac ?

when are bands gonna start giving their recordings headroom! (lets not discuss this, just let me vent)

Old 01-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #323
Boots Electric
Demi-God

I read pretty much the whole thread before listening to the songs and I was expecting complete garbage. I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised. I like these 4 songs a lot more than pretty much anything on Zeitgeist. It would be much better sans the dripping-with-gay backing vocals, but they sort of fit the songs here, whereas they sounded completely out of place on Zeitgeist...so I guess thats a step in the right direction.

I completely understand the overall disappointment expressed in this thread however. Fortunately for me, I've been getting progressively more and more into this sort of subdued (or as some of you have called it, "boring") not-quite-acoustic music over the last few years, so I dig this quite a bit.

B+

The song-writing, guitar-playing, and general musicianship is as good as ever. I agree totally about the mixing/recording though; someone seriously needs to step in and protect Billy's music from him.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #324
<sp3

i like it, its my favorite type of pumpkins

rose march was butchered however

Old 01-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #325
<sp3

wow, Pox kicks ass

Old 01-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #326
greedo
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
AAC → 320mp3 is hurting my ears...

i want a lossless rip...

can someone try
AAC → wave(burn a cd) → flac ?

when are bands gonna start giving their recordings headroom! (lets not discuss this, just let me vent)
Surely you can wait until someone gets a CD version? Do you really need that 1% of mostly inaudible extra data right now?

Old 01-01-2008, 07:41 PM   #327
Rickpat12
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedo View Post
Surely you can wait until someone gets a CD version? Do you really need that 1% of mostly inaudible extra data right now?
did you forget to type "flame away" after the end of your statement.

ps. Pox still owns.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #328
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedo View Post
if it helps my ears from hurting, yes.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:56 PM   #329
ryoga
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyumachine View Post
how do you know this? how did you compare the lyrics to this song and the supposed Townshend gig version? care to share details?
Second-hand information. I know someone who went to the show and aside from trying to tell me what some of the songs sounded like they also mentioned some lyrics. Most of them I forgot about however, I do remember that one of them had the repeating line “when will I see you (or was it her? meh) again…again, again, again” etc. Though, it is a possibility that he may have just recycled that line into a different song.
EDIT: I forgot to add that they also mentioned the "don't let go again" part as well...I just didn't know if it was part of the same song.

Last edited by ryoga : 01-01-2008 at 08:23 PM.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:57 PM   #330
mahkus11
Amish Rake Fighter

anybody transcribed the lyrics for rose march yet?