Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #91
Elphenor
Braindead

Yeah there's nothing alternative about Green Day or Blink 182

Old 08-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #92
coldestrose
Demi-God

Well not post 1994, but I don't think they could be considered mainstream before that

Old 08-03-2015, 12:28 PM   #93
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

"alternative" isn't about the popularity of something, it's about the content. when it's practically the majority, it's no longer alternative, but a band being successful doesn't just outright dismiss them

& the fact that there isn't really a "nirvana" on the fore of popular music right now is because... people don't really want one that much. there are people who are innovating, but it's mostly in rap & pop, etc. most innovations are coming with technology and i'm not sure people could really handle a big rock overtaking or whatever right now, it would probably mean tossing out their iphones

Old 08-03-2015, 12:33 PM   #94
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
& the fact that there isn't really a "nirvana" on the fore of popular music right now is because... people don't really want one that much.
yea I get that feeling too. big whatever band with guitar, I think that's just over.
it's the time for post Daft Punk like Deadmau5, Skrillex or whoever to blow up, but "heroes" with guitars? the masses are apparently fine with selling out FooFighters stadiums for that.

and then you still have bands like Deafheaven... and in the beginning Arcade Fire, I guess. they blow up just fine in the "alt crowd."

Old 08-03-2015, 12:45 PM   #95
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

also if we go away from this three year run and make it 3 albums - Björk.
I mean her run of albums in the 90ies is amazing - Debut, Post, Homogenic.

and then she makes one of the best albums and tour of 2015 (so far.) that's unmatched.

Last edited by pavementtune : 08-03-2015 at 12:52 PM.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #96
pavementtune

honorable mention Sleater Kinney, if you leave out the debut.
but 95-97, Call the Doctor and Dig Me out, then 1999 - damn, that's a good run, too.

and PJ Harvey - 90ies greatness with the first 3 and then tops it with album number 4.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:17 PM   #97
coldestrose
Demi-God

Not a band, but Elliott Smith had a good album run in the 90s. Roman Candle, Elliott Smith, Either/Or, and XO were all great.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:57 PM   #98
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
yea I get that feeling too. big whatever band with guitar, I think that's just over.
it's the time for post Daft Punk like Deadmau5, Skrillex or whoever to blow up, but "heroes" with guitars? the masses are apparently fine with selling out FooFighters stadiums for that.

and then you still have bands like Deafheaven... and in the beginning Arcade Fire, I guess. they blow up just fine in the "alt crowd."
I just listened to Deadmau5 for the first time. It's shit.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:05 PM   #99
Elphenor
Braindead

When people talk about the 90's being this mecca of Alt rock:

"Well you had Nirvana and ummm... well Nirvana and umm,
Did I mention Nirvana?"

Old 08-03-2015, 05:09 PM   #100
Elphenor
Braindead

In today's age it's about finding the specific type of music you like and then delving into the one billion bands past and present that the internet gives you access to.

This is way better then being subjected to watered down mainstream accessible "Alternative Rock"

Old 08-03-2015, 05:15 PM   #101
Elphenor
Braindead

Also Radiohead wins this if you drop the aribitary "3 year run" that doesn't make any sense given Fuzzy's picks.

I think you get The Benda and OK Computer in a 4 year run

Okay I can leave this thread now

Old 08-03-2015, 05:19 PM   #102
pavementtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaguitar View Post
I just listened to Deadmau5 for the first time. It's shit.
sure it is. yet that guy (or any of the big dancefest crowd electronical folks) is doing better than post 2010 "indie guitar" bands, was all I'm saying. it's not the time and culture for a Nirvana type guitar band to claim the throne.

yea Radiohead doesn't work with the initial run/3 year span. we should disqualify fuzzy's settings and crown Radiohead (along with Björk and PJ Harvey, pls) as 90ies winners.

Last edited by pavementtune : 08-03-2015 at 05:24 PM.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:47 PM   #103
Elphenor
Braindead

better yet disqualify the "90's" and up the musical quality about 10X

Old 08-03-2015, 06:00 PM   #104
Elphenor
Braindead

Fuzzy have you ever listened to the band Weezer unapologetically ripped off down to the cover of Blue album?

Of course not because they weren't spoon fed to you by MTV

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG...er=allrovi.com

Old 08-03-2015, 07:00 PM   #105
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
When people talk about the 90's being this mecca of Alt rock:

"Well you had Nirvana and ummm... well Nirvana and umm,
Did I mention Nirvana?"
and Fugazi and Radiohead and PJ Harvey and My Bloody Valentine and The Pixies and Drive Like Jehu and The Jesus Lizard and Low and a whole bunch of the best Nick Cave albums and At The Drive In and and and and and

Hey Elph have you noticed how many of your music boards post boil down to "A lot of people like this (band/genre/era) but I don't, because i'm so cool that I only listen to a half dozen bands in a very limited stylistic range"?

Old 08-03-2015, 07:05 PM   #106
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
In today's age it's about finding the specific type of music you like and then delving into the one billion bands past and present that the internet gives you access to.
or you could, you know, actually make an attempt to expand your horizons and just go for artists/albums that catch your interest regardless of the "type of music" they're press-branded with?

christmas cornrow!

Old 08-03-2015, 07:09 PM   #107
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

post punk sucks

Old 08-03-2015, 07:09 PM   #108
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

actually i think the 90s was a pretty good time for a lot of pre-determined "80s bands"

depeche made their 3 best albums in the 90s as far as i'm concerned

cocteau had an epiphany with Heaven or Las Vegas & didn't really back down after that

R.E.M., debatably for some perhaps, made at least 2 or 3 great albums

Massive Attack had an awesome run if you can get into the ambiance of Protection

Portishead as well

Blur had basically 2 big 3-album runs with the "britpop trilogy" then s/t, 13, & think tank

radiohead bla bla bla

pulp

lotta great formative rap records, & electronica/more trip hop for that matter (dj shadow, unkle, aphex twin, autechre, boards of canada)

the 90s were cool both as a pinnacle of "post-modern rock music" & a transitional period for electronic stuff alike, i feel like

Old 08-03-2015, 07:25 PM   #109
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
and Fugazi and Radiohead and PJ Harvey and My Bloody Valentine and The Pixies and Drive Like Jehu and The Jesus Lizard and Low and a whole bunch of the best Nick Cave albums and At The Drive In and and and and and

Hey Elph have you noticed how many of your music boards post boil down to "A lot of people like this (band/genre/era) but I don't, because i'm so cool that I only listen to a half dozen bands in a very limited stylistic range"?
Yeah those are all great artists and I think I like all of them except Low
(imo both Pixies and Fugazi made their best music in the 80's just as a side note)

but notice that you're not someone who acts like the 90's was the best decade for alternative rock thus you picking the actual exciting artists of that time and not arena rock disguised as alternative

Old 08-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #110
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
or you could, you know, actually make an attempt to expand your horizons and just go for artists/albums that catch your interest regardless of the "type of music" they're press-branded with?

christmas cornrow!
What I'm referring to is finding the purest form of whatever it is you like about music. (This could be in more than one genre it is for me)

Old 08-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #111
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Yeah those are all great artists and I think I like all of them except Low
(imo both Pixies and Fugazi made their best music in the 80's just as a side note)

but notice that you're not someone who acts like the 90's was the best decade for alternative rock thus you picking the actual exciting artists of that time and not arena rock disguised as alternative
Yeah but I also believe that there has never been such a large amount of high quality music released at any point in time as there is now, that all insistence that any art form was objectively "better" at any other point in time is just misguided, and that the labels "underground" and "mainstream" no longer mean anything, and in fact never referred to much except alternate cogs in a singular mechanism.

This whole thing about "oh that's just DISGUISED as alternative" is profoundly dumb. Something is underground until it becomes mainstream. That's how mainstream keeps itself prevalent is by adopting things that were once underground. The implication that music is divided up the middle by a line between people only interested in making pure art and people only interested in commercial success is ludicrous.

It's a farcical culture war perpetrated deliberately by both sides to sell you Supras and Misfits patches, and you're still eating it up.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:53 PM   #112
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

RE: The Fugazi thing, I love Thirteen Songs but I dunno if it stacks up as better on the whole than the Five studio albums they made in the 90s

Old 08-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #113
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
Yeah but I also believe that there has never been such a large amount of high quality music released at any point in time as there is now, that all insistence that any art form was objectively "better" at any other point in time is just misguided, and that the labels "underground" and "mainstream" no longer mean anything, and in fact never referred to much except alternate cogs in a singular mechanism.

This whole thing about "oh that's just DISGUISED as alternative" is profoundly dumb. Something is underground until it becomes mainstream. That's how mainstream keeps itself prevalent is by adopting things that were once underground. The implication that music is divided up the middle by a line between people only interested in making pure art and people only interested in commercial success is ludicrous.

It's a farcical culture war perpetrated deliberately by both sides to sell you Supras and Misfits patches, and you're still eating it up.
I believe there are bands who are made up of alternative type people who make music for other alternative types and there are regular dude bands that make music for the masses.

Occasionally weirdo bands write music that is catchy enough to appeal to the mainstream for a short period

Other times regular dude bands are marketed as being for outsiders

Old 08-03-2015, 08:13 PM   #114
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

"Alternative type people" Jesus man you need to spend some time rubbing shoulders with people of different cultural backgrounds to you.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:20 PM   #115
Elphenor
Braindead

I think I have?

Old 08-03-2015, 08:35 PM   #116
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Well do more of it until you can get over the idea of "alternative type people" vs "the masses" because that kind of us-and-them cool-vs-uncool people-smart-enough-to-understand-The-Fall-vs-unthinking-sheeple-who-just-like-dave-grohl-cause-the-radio-tells-them-to thinking really only achieves one thing and that's to make smug little shits with Joy Division tees feel even smugger.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:37 PM   #117
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

and it also, wether you're going to admit to it or not (you won't) causes you to throw down the shutters on all kinds of cool music you might enjoy because you either conciously or subconciously perceive it to be "for the masses" and therefore you never give it a chance.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:42 PM   #118
pavementtune

it wasn't elphie who started with masses vs alternative they-took-away-green-day-on-the-cover-now-there-is-only-tswift argument, now you pick him apart as if it's him saying that
have mercy!

also mals - totally agree, 90ies had so much beyond nirvana & co
hell trip hop!

Old 08-03-2015, 08:46 PM   #119
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
it wasn't elphie who started with masses vs alternative they-took-away-green-day-on-the-cover-now-there-is-only-tswift argument, now you pick him apart as if it's him saying that
have mercy!
Not in this particular thread but he perpetrates that attitude in everything he says. I've said this a million times before but I really do like Elph, I just get frustrated with his incredibly juvenile attitude towards taste and genre. He reminds me of me at sixteen when I was a dickhead goth bro who scoffed at anyone who liked Marilyn Manson but wasn't into Skinny Puppy. Only difference is trade out industrial for post-punk and also I was sixteen and i'm pretty sure Elph is old enough to know better.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:49 PM   #120
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

WHO CARES