Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2016, 01:08 AM   #121
buzzard
Minion of Satan
 
buzzard's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
On the one hand, yeah, it's pretty amazing how quality and profitability can be inversely-related. On the other hand... these days, I don't find myself feeling much frustration about mass-appeal media. There was a time when I lamented that Katy Perry and Lady Gaga make billions while what I thought of as "real music" (in middle school, at least) slid under the radar. Looking back, it seems more like a position I staked out in order to elevate myself above the "rabble" in an attempt to increase my self-perceived sophistication, than anything else.

I tend not to draw much of a distinction between high and low culture, and though mass-appeal and art are often separated, I don't think they are mutually-exclusive, and think that there will always be instances where artistic merit and corporate profit coincide.
While I get what you're saying and agree with much of it, I don't feel that music and film are adequately analogous due to the significantly higher barriers to entry likely experienced by would-be filmmakers. I may be relating to the concepts of artistic merit and high culture versus low, but my complaint is essentially that one thing is preventing the existence of another and not simply overshadowing it.

It may be true that artistic merit and commercial viability can coexist, but it's also not exactly common. Perhaps things are different in bigger cities, but it's only once or twice a year that I could hope to see something I'd like in any of the regular theatres.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
There are a lot of art movies that eschew conventional narrative, but I think people can tend to tell the difference between a work creating meaning through alternative means to narrative, and one trying for narrative, but failing at it.
Do you really think so?

 
buzzard is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:30 AM   #122
buzzard
Minion of Satan
 
buzzard's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,733
Default

I'm really stubborn and I started out with an attitude that I was going to make films the way I and those people I chose to collaborate with want to make them and I've just stuck to that. I'm not seduced by money or the things that Hollywood tries to offer you, and in exchange you have to make the film the way some businessmen tell you to. I just would not be good at that. So I have a system where I try to avoid having American money in my films, because with that comes a lot of strings attached and script meetings and casting consultations. I can't work that way. I don't tell the business people who finance the films how to run their business, so why should they tell me how to make a film?
- Jim Jarmusch


If the allocation of resources were not tied to creative control in such a way that the artist might find their work adapted to meet economic objectives, there would be no need for this sort of mentality.

P.S. I'm sorry for doing this in the comics thread.

 
buzzard is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:59 AM   #123
Disco King
Minion of Satan
 
Disco King's Avatar
 
Location: Banned
Posts: 6,615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
While I get what you're saying and agree with much of it, I don't feel that music and film are adequately analogous due to the significantly higher barriers to entry likely experienced by would-be filmmakers. I may be relating to the concepts of artistic merit and high culture versus low, but my complaint is essentially that one thing is preventing the existence of another and not simply overshadowing it.
I never thought of that. Yeah, essentially anybody can pick up an instrument and create something, but the level of organization and costs required for even the lowest-budget films are pretty high and tend to require some investment.

There are even reports that Warner Bros. will be releasing fewer films and focusing more on tentpoles due to the under-performance of some of their recent films. I can only imagine that independent studios must be having a harder time securing distributors (I dunno how the film industry works).

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
I'm really stubborn and I started out with an attitude that I was going to make films the way I and those people I chose to collaborate with want to make them and I've just stuck to that. I'm not seduced by money or the things that Hollywood tries to offer you, and in exchange you have to make the film the way some businessmen tell you to. I just would not be good at that. So I have a system where I try to avoid having American money in my films, because with that comes a lot of strings attached and script meetings and casting consultations. I can't work that way. I don't tell the business people who finance the films how to run their business, so why should they tell me how to make a film?
- Jim Jarmusch


If the allocation of resources were not tied to creative control in such a way that the artist might find their work adapted to meet economic objectives, there would be no need for this sort of mentality.

P.S. I'm sorry for doing this in the comics thread.
That's okay. Posters will probably find this bit of thread-drift more interesting than when I hijack a thread to talk about awkward moments attempting to compliment women on their footwear.

To keep it somewhat thread-related, the issue of executive creative demands is hillariously illustrated by Kevin Smith's account of when he was once hired to pen a Superman reboot.



 
Disco King is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:45 AM   #124
Disco King
Minion of Satan
 
Disco King's Avatar
 
Location: Banned
Posts: 6,615
Default

Yo Bonnie, you ever read Bryan Talbot's The Tale of One Bad Rat? I dunno, I think you'd dig it.

Trying to think of comics that would appear to some boarders here. Already gave b0lly! a rec. I'll recommend more people stuff when more comics come to mind.

 
Disco King is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:48 AM   #125
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned
 
ohnoitsbonnie's Avatar
 
Location: somerville, nj
Posts: 23,387
Default

I will read on the train tomorrow

http://www.readcomics.tv/tale-of-one...1994/chapter-1

 
ohnoitsbonnie is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:25 PM   #126
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned
 
ohnoitsbonnie's Avatar
 
Location: somerville, nj
Posts: 23,387
Default


 
ohnoitsbonnie is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:35 AM   #127
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned
 
ohnoitsbonnie's Avatar
 
Location: somerville, nj
Posts: 23,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Yo Bonnie, you ever read Bryan Talbot's The Tale of One Bad Rat? I dunno, I think you'd dig it.

Trying to think of comics that would appear to some boarders here. Already gave b0lly! a rec. I'll recommend more people stuff when more comics come to mind.
Really dug this. A lot of myself in it. Also "umbelliferie" yaaaas
Gonna buy it :")

 
ohnoitsbonnie is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:45 AM   #128
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!
 
MyOneAndOnly's Avatar
 
Location: "You are the poster child for an uninformed brainwashed American" -OmegaConcern
Posts: 20,794
Default

Just read the first two issues of No Angel from Black Mask comics. Not bad. Waiting to see where it goes.

Also really like right now The Deciples.

 
MyOneAndOnly is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:56 PM   #129
Disco King
Minion of Satan
 
Disco King's Avatar
 
Location: Banned
Posts: 6,615
Default

Watchmen thread made me think of comics again. I miss comics. Haven't had any time to read any for a while.

Last one I really dug was Tom King and Mitch Gerads' Mister Miracle. It takes the Jack Kirby Fourth World character, but takes the complete opposite approach from Kirby's bombastic, psychedelic, and epic style. Instead, it's like this melancholic drama focusing on Scott Free and Big Barda's relationship, as well as PTSD and depression, with a distant never-ending cosmic war intruding upon their earthly domestic life.

Other than that, I bought Rusty Brown, which has finally been compiled into a single volume, but haven't read it yet. I've only read excerpts here and there in the past, as well as the entirety of the "Lint" sub-story.

 
Disco King is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So when is Jimmy coming back? Elphenor Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion 36 03-09-2018 12:35 AM
Something I have noticed... rottenugly General Chat Archive 38 04-17-2012 05:25 PM
my very original ask me questions thread dr.benway General Chat Archive 27 08-04-2009 06:26 PM
So I ordered pizza last night Dead General Chat Archive 16 03-10-2007 02:13 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:41 PM.




Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2019