Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 04-20-2006, 10:46 PM   #121
Eulogy
huh

Silence, leech
And stay out of my way

I think I am in love with that delivery.

Old 04-21-2006, 08:04 PM   #122
valvolux
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj
I'd much rather listen to Meshuggah these days. Catch 33 is an album that is much more intense and challenging than anything Tool have ever done. Plus, if you would go purely for the musicianship, it makes Tool sound like the Sex Pistols.
I take it you haven't actually listened to neither Catch 33 or 10,000 days. I like Catch 33 - but then I like anything with a heavy double bass - but this does not constitute clever musicians.

if you follow this type of music you'd realise that Meshuggah is really run of the mill stuff. Unlike 10,000 days which has maybe 7 real tracks, all diffferent enough to stand on their own. Catch 33 has 3....and only 2 dfferent...insanely simple riffs, and the same old school double kick drumming in every track.....it isn't a pinch on tool in the challenging or musicianship department.

Old 04-21-2006, 08:42 PM   #123
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Unbelievable. Tsk.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:16 PM   #124
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

I mean i can understand if you think the riffs on, say, the first song are very simple - they are. The time signature here is already more challenging than any time sig Tool has ever done though. Also, Catch 33 IS essentially one song. There's variety enough though. The first few songs don't sound one bit like Minds Mirrors, which is absolutely and totally different from, say, the second half of In Death - Is Death. Seriously, listen to this song (the long one) all the way through, it's almost fucking jazz they're doing. The riffs are insane, played in a way rarely heard in popular modern music, so incredibly complex. I can't understand how someone would think that's run of the mill stuff. I mean you don't have to like it, but if you could find me a few examples of other metal bands that play like that, i'd be interested. Tool on the other hand has really had their best time. I love Aenima and parts of Lateralus and I like the older stuff. Lateralus was too long though. And now they've done almost exactly the same again - Maynard pulling off some weird vocal tricks doesn't really change that. For the biggest part of 10 000 days, the sound of it is identical to lateralus. Not just somewhat similar, the bass sound is exactly the same, just like the drums, not to speak of the way the guitar and bass melodies are layered over each other, from the first minutes of the first song on - exactly what you could expect. Really, really unimaginitive.

If you're talking about metal and mention "the same old school double kick drum in every track", the first thing that i think of is this staccato 4/4 duggaduggaduggaduggaduggaduggaduggaduggaduggadugga etc., of which you couldn't seriously accuse Meshuggah. Yes they do have double kick drum, this doesn't instantly make them sound like that stereotyical metal sound. Technically they are pretty far above anything Tool has done. Most Tool songs consist of simple pentatonic riffs. Apart from the drummer, there really aren't any truly outstanding musicians in the band. They do have their own distinctive sound, but that seems to be just it, they're stuck in that sound. I play bass myself, and just speaking for myself, I can easily play any Tool song along with the cd. Meshuggah is really baffling and hardly playable for myself.

Old 04-21-2006, 10:47 PM   #125
Thaniel Buckner
Minion of Satan

hey joeri, you speak very well for someone who is retarded.

Old 04-21-2006, 11:14 PM   #126
jonnyjj740
Pledge

From the Tool September 2005 newsletter -

" Now where was I?.. Oh yeah, TOOL!.. I'm not going to reveal my source, Mister Patience, but do you want to know the kind of things that have been going on while this record was being recorded? Okay, first there was the decoy record just to confound all those would-be bootleggers out there. This took, oh, about a year, just because the band members wanted it to sound pretty close to the real thing (so as to be believable), along with equally believable art design. "

http://www.toolband.com/news/letter/2005_09.php

Interesting that this album might actually be a decoy.

Old 04-21-2006, 11:26 PM   #127
shutthefuckup
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: pour a cup and light one up, me n my baby wake and bake!

Joeri is stupid if he thinks that messugah plays in more confusing time signatures than Tool. Maybe he just can't count them properly to actually know what they are in. 10,000 days does not sound just like Lateralus...and every Messugah song I've heard sounded basically the same. Someone just told you they're really hardcore and you were dumb enough to believe it huh Joeri? 10,000 days, even if it is a decoy album is better than anything rockin' that has come out since Tool's last album.

Old 04-21-2006, 11:30 PM   #128
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

if it's "pretty close to the real thing" i don't care at all. it would be a new level of incredibility and infidelity of bands though.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:54 AM   #129
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutthefuckup
Someone just told you they're really hardcore and you were dumb enough to believe it huh Joeri?
actually, members of Tool themselves have often said how amazing and hardcore Meshuggah is, so that just might be right.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:55 AM   #130
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaniel Buckner
hey joeri, you speak very well for someone who is retarded.
excuse me?

Old 04-22-2006, 09:05 AM   #131
shutthefuckup
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
actually, members of Tool themselves have often said how amazing and hardcore Meshuggah is, so that just might be right.
Heh they've said the same thing about Pigmy Love Circus but that doesn't mean its true. Members of great bands can still like some crappy bands. After all, Tool and APC did have Year of the Rabbit and Tamahawk open for them and they both suck ass too.

Old 04-22-2006, 09:23 AM   #132
Kahlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjj740

If that was the case, Tool are absolutely retarded. Its almost impossible to stop album leaks getting out. This ounds like utter bullshit to me.

Old 04-22-2006, 10:49 AM   #133
Eulogy
huh

Upon further listening, it's just not very good.

ugh. For the first time, the songs actually seem long. Eulogy never seemed like an 8-minute song. The Pot, while a decent song, seems like it's about 20 minutes long. Rosetta Stoned is just boring. and I don't even know what to think about the two Wings tracks.

Jambi had some awesome parts....but that guitar solo, if one can even call it that...is total garbage.

I was hoping Vicarious would be good for the worst song on the album. Instead, it's bad for the best song on the album.

I'll give it another shot. but ugh. i have yet to be able to listen to all of it straight through without zoning out completely or falling asleep.

Old 04-22-2006, 10:50 AM   #134
Eulogy
huh

and in 5 minutes i'll be ordering tickets to go see them. and for the next three weeks i will pray that they play old shit.

Old 04-22-2006, 10:51 AM   #135
Eulogy
huh

...a thought i had was that i could deal with this album if it were a debut. that's what it sounds like. there's potential...but it's just not very cohesive or entertaining or thought provoking or...good.

Old 04-22-2006, 10:52 AM   #136
Eulogy
huh

i don't know if you can tell but i am very disappointed.

Old 04-22-2006, 12:36 PM   #137
Kahlo

I don't think its very good at all. Like you I zoned out to the point wher eI put something else on. I have tried to give it more chances and it improves slightly. I really hope they play old stuff...

Old 04-22-2006, 01:01 PM   #138
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjj740
From the Tool September 2005 newsletter -

" Now where was I?.. Oh yeah, TOOL!.. I'm not going to reveal my source, Mister Patience, but do you want to know the kind of things that have been going on while this record was being recorded? Okay, first there was the decoy record just to confound all those would-be bootleggers out there. This took, oh, about a year, just because the band members wanted it to sound pretty close to the real thing (so as to be believable), along with equally believable art design. "

http://www.toolband.com/news/letter/2005_09.php

if this turned out to be the case, it would be completely awesome. 100% awesomeness. not only because of how ridiculous shutthefuckup would look, but also because it'd mean there's a chance they don't suck so hard now. and plus, that would be the ultimate in ballsy pranks

Old 04-22-2006, 01:29 PM   #139
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

not getting my hopes up for that

Old 04-22-2006, 01:35 PM   #140
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Quote:
not getting my hopes up for that

nor am i, but it still would be nice

you smell what i'm cookin'?

Old 04-22-2006, 02:13 PM   #141
FearFactory
Socialphobic

yeah, if this is indeed a fake album that was intended to be leaked, I will be very impressed. I haven't heard of any other band pulling a stunt like that.

it also gives me hope that the real record won't suck.

Old 04-22-2006, 02:16 PM   #142
FearFactory
Socialphobic

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutthefuckup
Joeri is stupid if he thinks that messugah plays in more confusing time signatures than Tool. Maybe he just can't count them properly to actually know what they are in. 10,000 days does not sound just like Lateralus...and every Messugah song I've heard sounded basically the same. Someone just told you they're really hardcore and you were dumb enough to believe it huh Joeri? 10,000 days, even if it is a decoy album is better than anything rockin' that has come out since Tool's last album.
you're out of your mind, dude... I have never laughed so much at one paragraph in my life.

Old 04-22-2006, 04:12 PM   #143
I'm Hardcore
Banned

this guy came into work and he was all like "man, can i please pre-order the new Tool album??", and i was like "yeah, sure dude". Then he starts babbling on, "man do you know the concept behind the title 10000 days??", to which i replied "no man. tell me". He goes "Maynards mother was paralysed for 27 years, thats 10000 days, amazing huh???"

i hate Tool fans like this

Old 04-22-2006, 05:28 PM   #144
shutthefuckup
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by big white horse hung
if this turned out to be the case, it would be completely awesome. 100% awesomeness. not only because of how ridiculous shutthefuckup would look, but also because it'd mean there's a chance they don't suck so hard now. and plus, that would be the ultimate in ballsy pranks
It would be hilarious because their decoy album would be better than any real album that came out in the last several years which you've probably bought.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:43 PM   #145
neopryn
let's see your penis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Hardcore
this guy came into work and he was all like "man, can i please pre-order the new Tool album??", and i was like "yeah, sure dude". Then he starts babbling on, "man do you know the concept behind the title 10000 days??", to which i replied "no man. tell me". He goes "Maynards mother was paralysed for 27 years, thats 10000 days, amazing huh???"

i hate Tool fans like this
what happened after 27 years? she stopped being paralyzed?

Old 04-22-2006, 06:52 PM   #146
COG
Apocalyptic Poster

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopryn

Her name was Judith. . .

Old 04-22-2006, 07:33 PM   #147
QuietGaze
Pledge

I think it's amazing.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:34 PM   #148
QuietGaze
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopryn
She died.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:35 PM   #149
shannon
Minion of Satan

"The Pot" is a damn good song, because it is SOMEWHAT a step away from their normal sound, but the rest of the CD is nonsense...lots of pointless drawn out bland moments...

Old 04-22-2006, 07:40 PM   #150
neopryn
let's see your penis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietGaze
She died.
that sucks