Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2016, 12:37 AM   #1651
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Been in the mood for spoopy Halloween films (not that I'd even have time to watch any because I don't really have time for movies right now). I saw the short film Lights Out and apparently the director's turned it into a feature film. Is it any good?

It seems like there have been a tonne of generic "possessed kid" and "haunted house" movies (that are all BASED ON A TROO STORY lol) since The Exorcist, but I've heard Insidious and The Conjuring are supposed to be good. Are they? Only James Wan film I've seen is the first Saw and it was the least shitty one.

I haven't heard good things about Ouija.

I guess I haven't gotten around to seeing 10 Cloverfield Lane, either. I didn't even like the first Cloverfield but the trailer for the second looked interesting to me.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:09 AM   #1652
Elphenor
Braindead

I like horror stylistically and conceptually like vampires and ghouls and such but I don't really like "scary movies" because they seem to revolve around jump scares and gore which are just unpleasant not fun

I guess what I like is Gothic Horror like the different film adaptions of Dracula

Old 10-29-2016, 09:51 AM   #1653
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I got the Sleepaway Camp movies. Never watched these before. Will be my halloween marathon.

Old 10-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #1654
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Been in the mood for spoopy Halloween films (not that I'd even have time to watch any because I don't really have time for movies right now). I saw the short film Lights Out and apparently the director's turned it into a feature film. Is it any good?

It seems like there have been a tonne of generic "possessed kid" and "haunted house" movies (that are all BASED ON A TROO STORY lol) since The Exorcist, but I've heard Insidious and The Conjuring are supposed to be good. Are they? Only James Wan film I've seen is the first Saw and it was the least shitty one.

I haven't heard good things about Ouija.

I guess I haven't gotten around to seeing 10 Cloverfield Lane, either. I didn't even like the first Cloverfield but the trailer for the second looked interesting to me.
Didn't much care for Conjuring or Insidious, but then again, supernatural horror ain't really my bag (and neither film is anywhere as good as The Exorcist). 10 Cloverfield Lane is a good, tense, compact story. Completely different from Cloverfield. You don't have to have enjoyed or even seen the original to dig the sequel. I recommend it.

Old 10-29-2016, 01:14 PM   #1655
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
I got the Sleepaway Camp movies. Never watched these before. Will be my halloween marathon.
They're pretty low rent but fun. Original has some...interesting plot elements. The two sequels go for silly cheese. Did you also get Return To Sleepaway Camp (it's the fourth, but technically fifth)? It's so ridiculous I kinda like it, even though it is pretty terrible on all fronts.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:38 AM   #1656
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
They're pretty low rent but fun. Original has some...interesting plot elements. The two sequels go for silly cheese. Did you also get Return To Sleepaway Camp (it's the fourth, but technically fifth)? It's so ridiculous I kinda like it, even though it is pretty terrible on all fronts.
I only got the first 3 for now. I'll see if I can find the other 2 later.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:43 AM   #1657
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Sleepaway Camp - 3/5
I liked it...the death scenes aren't as interesting or gruesome as i'd hoped, but there's some funny moments, the ending is something else.

Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers - 2/5
Better deaths overall, but the plot itself borders on nonsense, and there is very little tension because from frame one you know exactly who the killer is and you're just waiting for them to explain how they got there. A couple times in shots where their characters were supposed to be dead I caught actors moving/breathing. (pet peeve)

Old 10-30-2016, 07:44 AM   #1658
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I'll be forever glad for the best song ever from Sleepaway Camp II though.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:14 AM   #1659
buzzard
Minion of Satan

What a title, though.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:32 AM   #1660
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Sleepaway Camp 3: Teenge Wasteland - 3/5
I'm torn on this one. Might be my favorite Sleepaway Camp movie or the absolute worst. It's easily the dumbest of the three movies having the killer return to the camp undercover as a camper (she was a counselor in the second movie) just so she could murderize everyone. However, she spouts the silliest lines ever after/just before killing people which is ridiculous and the kills are pretty good. Favorite scene after someone fishes a hockey mask the next lines are "which day is it?" to which someone replies "it's saturday... the 14th!".

10 Things I Hate About You - 5/5
One of my absolute favorite films as a kid. I think it holds up, had as much fun with it now as I did back then

Josie And The Pussycats - 3/5
Weird film, whoever thought about taking a josie and the pussycats film and turning it into a meditation on the influence of corporations in making artists their pawns to sell more products should probably be applauded, it doesn't fully work as a film (or is that funny as a comedy) but at least it gives you a few things to chew on.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:41 PM   #1661
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar 10/10
John Leguizamo is the best

Old 11-04-2016, 10:53 PM   #1662
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Doctor Strange - 4/5
Really liked it Cumberbatch and Tilda Swinton are so so great. Plot was a bit convoluted, but some of the scenes were really breathtaking visually.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:14 PM   #1663
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Cumberbatch was cumberbitchin'

Old 11-05-2016, 01:26 AM   #1664
buzzard
Minion of Satan

I always did wonder what a two-to-one serpent and shark crossbreed might look like, too.

Old 11-05-2016, 05:25 AM   #1665
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria
Red face

can not be unimagined

Old 11-05-2016, 05:38 AM   #1666
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Coming to America 8.5/10

It was still awesome, the kids really liked it. I heard my eight year old in the bathroom clapping his hands and calling out "Wipers!"

Mentioned my love for Eddie Murphy and Steve Martin to the Wunderkind, and he looked unimpressed and said that kind of broad humour was no longer popular.

Evidently he has a blind spot.

Old 11-05-2016, 05:47 AM   #1667
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

coming to america is flat out awesome, and definitely still works.
the barbershop guys, Sexual Chocolate, the psuedo-mcdonalds, the hairspray commercials, haha. i gotta watch that one again sometime, it's been a while.

Old 11-05-2016, 05:53 AM   #1668
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Ghostbusters 2016

6/10

Old 11-05-2016, 09:25 AM   #1669
fuzzyroes
Banned

Just rewatched The Campaign with Will Farrell and Zack Galifinakis. Holy shit was that movie 5 years ahead of it's time. Whole thing definitely echo's the craziness of this election cycle. If it was released 6 months ago it would have been 10X the success it was originally.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #1670
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Dr. Strange: 6/10

The trippy bits and the dark universe inoperable stage iv carcinosarcoma god were cool, but ultimately lost my buzz due to expository dialogue, uninspiring conflict and boring fights, and cumberbun's character/performance were just tiresome man

Old 11-05-2016, 01:17 PM   #1671
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Yeah, Dr. Strange looks like Marvel's first real whiff at bat since Iron Man 2.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:21 PM   #1672
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Just rewatched The Campaign with Will Farrell and Zack Galifinakis. Holy shit was that movie 5 years ahead of it's time. Whole thing definitely echo's the craziness of this election cycle. If it was released 6 months ago it would have been 10X the success it was originally.
Man, Will Ferrell and Adam McKay haven't delivered anything I'd watch again since Step Brothers. Almost a decade!

Old 11-05-2016, 01:22 PM   #1673
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaguitar View Post
Ghostbusters 2016

6/10
Sexist pig.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #1674
crabshack
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
Yeah, Dr. Strange looks like Marvel's first real whiff at bat since Iron Man 2.
I've had no desire to watch any marvel movie except dr strange

Old 11-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #1675
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

It just looks like Inception with Cumbervag to me. Wasn't that impressed with the trailers.

Old 11-05-2016, 02:11 PM   #1676
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Couldn't disagree more about doctor strange. I thought it was awesome.

Old 11-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #1677
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Yeah I liked it better when it was called inception, but probably b/c id rather watch Leo Deecap than cumbersome. His eyes r like too small, rodential, plus he was a huge Dugan as a character

Really liked the ancient one, wish there was more of her. You know there were a lot of aspects I liked but they weren't explored as much as I'd like. And the shoe horned love story was as unrealistic as it was a snoozer

In fact I'm hereby downgrading to 5/10. I am firmly ambivalent about this flick

Old 11-05-2016, 02:32 PM   #1678
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Let's keep talking about it, maybe we can turn that 5 into a 4!

Old 11-05-2016, 02:40 PM   #1679
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I liked the tone of the film, the whole marvel universe to me does this balancing act really well of stradling the cheesy, campy line without being totally ridiculous a la batman & robin.
I loved the multiverse stuff and the scene where the ancient one sends him through a bunch of dymensions was really awesome.

Also not getting the Cumberbatch hate. He's a fine actor and he's a fine actor

Old 11-05-2016, 07:00 PM   #1680
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I haven't seen Dr. Strange, but I feel like the Marvel Studios films have the problem of being kinda cookie-cutter and safe, while the recent DC movies have the problem of mistaking having people look sad and serious and talking about how important everything is with profundity.