Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2018, 11:38 AM   #61
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Here's another St. Paul one and he's got some high res pics.

http://twths.org/concert-review-the-...ugust-19-2018/

Old 08-29-2018, 11:50 AM   #62
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

http://twths.org/wp/wp-content/uploa...le2018-120.jpg

Old 08-29-2018, 03:57 PM   #63
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

b'arcy is pissed he's not in that pic

Old 08-29-2018, 04:33 PM   #64
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
I'm glad you called me on that generalization

Retraction: some Minnesotans are too worldly for Billy's ego. For example, the guy who wrote the review, who was concerned about the stage crew who had to place Corgan's piano on a pedestal. That's a blue collar perspective.
Folks in the cities can be worldly; you leave the Minneapolis/St Paul and go into farmland and the sticks, eh, not so much.

I just took a family vacation a few weeks ago up north at Crane Lake, which is right on the Canadian border. The cabin next door was flying a MAGA Trump flag (literally) and another dude working at a resort made a "them types" sort of comment to me. We might be a blue state, but that's only because there's more people crammed into the city than the surrounding reddish country side.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:12 AM   #65
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

I went to the show in PDX last Saturday and thought I would leave my review.

I got a great deal on seats in the 5th row last minute, and was pleasantly surprised to find they were dead-center in front of B0lly himself. From this perspective, the visual show, from the intro to the Solara sun and everything in-between, was gigantic. None of the billy-centric art really bothered me because it was so intense up-close. There was plenty of Pumpkins dark whimsy in the design of the show, and overall I think Strawz did a good job capturing their spirit, as much as it pains me to say. The giant Mark McGrath didn't bother me either; he gave me two good chances to check my phone.

As for the music itself, I was impressed. The three guitars made a difference. The whole show was a wall of sound, and while they did stick to the outlines of the album versions, there was plenty of new life in the songs as well. The setlist seemed to work; my highlights were the Adore songs (finally getting their due), Hummer (a whole arena singing along, truly a pumpkins anthem now), Porcelina (that's when the legal weed hit the entire PNW crowd), and surprisingly, many of the hits like Today and BWBW, which really are designed to be played in the arena.

Throughout all this it was great to see Billy and James and Jimmy all playing together. I suppose I'm over the D'arcy thing, or at least see Billy's side of it. For a show this big, having competent musicians who can get through three hours every night was essential.

Fun times. For three hours, alternative rock ruled again.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:15 PM   #66
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

https://www.los-angeles-theatre.com/...php?r=a&page=1

3.9 Rating of the tour overall. Plenty of people happy to see SP playing the hits (nothing wrong with that).

================================================== ====================

3.0 star rating Joseph from Nashville, Tennessee

SMASHING PUMPKINS

I personally felt the best time to see this band would have been during the Mellon Collie tour,when the band were at their best. Last night felt more of a nostoligia cash grab . I heard Billy Corgan is kinda of a control freak a$$hole. Last night he threw James Iha under the bus for a simple riff mistake 99 percent of the crowd missed,but Mr.Corgan stopped the show to point it out,and i quote,"These people expect perfection!" I think it is Mr.Corgan who expects perfection. Although singing notes is far from it.

2.0 star rating Jeff from Indianapolis, Indiana

DISAPPOINTED

The music had some amazing moments. However I found the show to be depressing and glum. Billy is obviously still a depressed teenager. To me, the whole thing had a negative vibe.

2.0 star rating Chicagobd from Chicago, Illinois

CHICAGO AUG 13TH AT UNITED CENTER

The musicianship and Corgans voice sounded very good. However the song choices were horrible . Way too many slow songs. I felt Billy was disconnected with the audience . Like he was playing for himself and not the fans . After everyone there was a long delay which felt like an intermission . People were sitting down . Some we're leaving . Just when u thing he would turn things around you get disappointed again . He deflated any ounce of energy that stadium had . Good job Billy . You got us again . 3 strikes and your out. Will never see them again

2.0 star rating Edgar from Boston, Massachusetts

UNDERWHELMING AT BEST

Set contained a lot of slow songs that I used to skip. The band was sloppy and Billy Corgan was not an engaging presence. There were lots of lights, it was definitely "shiny and bright", but the lights did not add to the performance and I found them distracting. The venue was about half full and the whole thing felt like a dress rehearsal for an act that had not yet been ironed out. I have seen them before and enjoyed past performances, but this tour was not for me.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:20 PM   #67
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

I noticed you're leaving out the 8 positive reviews from the link you posted.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:38 PM   #68
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTaper View Post
I noticed you're leaving out the 8 positive reviews from the link you posted.
Yes, I'm posting the negative ones (as they are funny to read), but this is the overall rating, which I also quoted:

"3.9 Rating of the tour overall. Plenty of people happy to see SP playing the hits (nothing wrong with that)."

Old 08-31-2018, 12:43 PM   #69
slayed23
Ownz

I was at the United Center show. There was no “long delay”. WTF is that guy talking about?

Old 08-31-2018, 12:44 PM   #70
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Sexual View Post
(nothing wrong with that)
Lol

Billbo goes back on a decade of shit-talking to stop playing the HEEL and start playing the HITS

Old 08-31-2018, 12:47 PM   #71
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
Lol

Billbo goes back on a decade of shit-talking to stop playing the HEEL and start playing the HITS
Agree, but to each their own, man.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:49 PM   #72
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Oh, I don't actually care, I just wanted an excuse to post the Seinfeld montage

Old 09-06-2018, 01:59 AM   #73
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Billco in Denver

Overall I really enjoyed the Denver show. My tickets weren’t great, but they weren’t too bad either. Sort of backish in the first level ring. Seats were 3/5 to 3/4 full before the lights went out, and after that it looked pretty full. Upmost level was draped off.

Crowd had lots of air guitarists during the SD songs, which was either sad or funny. The time went by pretty quickly. Early highlight was Drown - damn I wish they would have jammed on it a bit longer. Lowlights were the Eye video (Billy with a flashlight) and Try. During Try Billy was doing a half-Manson, wandering the stage and yelling “Try”randomly. Slow Batman was surprisingly engaging, though the crowd didn’t seem that into Billco def was, crawling on the floor. Blew Away started and no one left - I was so happy to see that. But then about a minute in people realized they didn’t know the song. Pee time.

The Adore songs were great to hear, and the visuals were pretty kicking. But I got a bit tired of the dancing buxom blonde. Seems like the Machina mystery is just a boring heterosexual wet dream. The For Martha video seems liked a poignant depiction of Billy and Mommy, which was almost touching.

People started to clear out during Muzzle, but sucks for them, cuz the band rocked out for Solara. Jimmy jazzy solo!

Finally WTF is with Jeff and guitars? It’s like they are crushing him and he has to angle his entire body just to keep it from falling - use the strap Jeff!

Old 09-06-2018, 02:13 AM   #74
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
Crowd had lots of air guitarists during the SD songs, which was either sad or funny.

No air drummers?

https://i.imgur.com/ZHdjCOn.gif

Old 09-06-2018, 02:15 AM   #75
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
I just didn’t want to mention it because I may have numbered among them.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:45 AM   #76
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
Overall I really enjoyed the Denver show. My tickets weren’t great, but they weren’t too bad either. Sort of backish in the first level ring. Seats were 3/5 to 3/4 full before the lights went out, and after that it looked pretty full. Upmost level was draped off.

Crowd had lots of air guitarists during the SD songs, which was either sad or funny. The time went by pretty quickly. Early highlight was Drown - damn I wish they would have jammed on it a bit longer. Lowlights were the Eye video (Billy with a flashlight) and Try. During Try Billy was doing a half-Manson, wandering the stage and yelling “Try”randomly. Slow Batman was surprisingly engaging, though the crowd didn’t seem that into Billco def was, crawling on the floor. Blew Away started and no one left - I was so happy to see that. But then about a minute in people realized they didn’t know the song. Pee time.

The Adore songs were great to hear, and the visuals were pretty kicking. But I got a bit tired of the dancing buxom blonde. Seems like the Machina mystery is just a boring heterosexual wet dream. The For Martha video seems liked a poignant depiction of Billy and Mommy, which was almost touching.

People started to clear out during Muzzle, but sucks for them, cuz the band rocked out for Solara. Jimmy jazzy solo!

Finally WTF is with Jeff and guitars? It’s like they are crushing him and he has to angle his entire body just to keep it from falling - use the strap Jeff!
Wait what? Jeff didn't use a guitar strap?

Old 09-06-2018, 11:39 PM   #77
slayed23
Ownz

What was up with all the celebs at the LA shows?

Old 09-07-2018, 08:12 AM   #78
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Jeff uses the strap, just not as much as he could.

Why are their celebs in LA? Because it is LA, and not Boise. They live in LA.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:04 PM   #79
ava transformer
Apocalyptic Poster

I air drummed at the Sacramento show & wrote an edible fueled review & posted it on my Instagram.
@nizzneyland