Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2007, 07:48 PM   #211
monkeyfritters
Minion of Satan

the reason is songs like reckoner and faust and all i need outshine the sun.

you could put reckoner on the second half of metal machine music, nay, zeitgeist and i'd give it and 8.5.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:49 PM   #212
Andy /

Thanks, Tchocky.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:51 PM   #213
monkeyfritters
Minion of Satan

soooorrryy andy. ¯\(º_o)/¯

Old 10-10-2007, 07:56 PM   #214
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Fine. Just for you, AndySlash, I will gush.

I thought the studio version of Arpeggi was incredible. Contrary to what Graveflower said about the original version of the song played with a full orchestra being worlds better, it's excellent and a joy to listen to. I initially found the beginning of All I Need with the distorted electric piano irritating, but after hearing the full song, I came to enjoy it thoroughly. Jigsaw was a joy as well, mainly because it sounded the least like the "second Thom Yorke solo album" that I described the album as being. I can see why people might not like House of Cards, but I thought it was pleasantly chill. Reckoner went in an unexpected direction, but it was a good one. 15 Step has really grown on me after a few listens. Faust Arp was okay. And the studio versions of Nude and Videotape aren't TERRIBLE, they are good, but I just wish they'd have stayed true to the original version with the former and kept the latter a bit simpler on the production side of things. Bodysnatchers...meh. A half-hearted attempt by Radiohead to "rock"...it just sounds forced. I have a feeling I'll have the same criticism of Bangers 'n' Mash when I get the discbox.

I can't wait for Down Is The New Up and Last Flowers.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #215
sans anatomy
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermcphilp
care to point me in the direction to some of these live boots of these songs so i can compare?

ditto
was it called big ideas back then

Old 10-10-2007, 08:06 PM   #216
Andy /

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchocky
Fine. Just for you, AndySlash, I will gush.

GEE THANKS. Christ, man, I'm not trying to put you on the defensive here. Your comments just didn't (and really, still don't to me) mesh with your score. As the RH fan that you obviously are, I wanted to know what justified an 8.5 in your review. If you turned that in to a magazine I'd think they'd ask the same things. GOD FORGIVE ME FOR MY TRANSGRESSIONS.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:14 PM   #217
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

You wanted to know why I gave the album an 8.5, and I tried to explain why. I honestly think there are 4 wonderful, four good, one okay and one meh song on the album. Maybe 8.5 was a little generous, but like www.ign.com, my overall score isn't the average of the parts.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:23 PM   #218
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Question

does there exist some sort of compilation of the new songs from the 2006 tour - something like T&T did for the new SP songs? I like the songs, but at least from the youtube clips I liked songs like All I need or Videotape as played live on their tour more than these album versions.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:31 PM   #219
Boseph
Ownz

I think this is a really focused, concise, lovely little album. It flows wonderfully, the middle section (Arpeggi to Reckoner) is ridiculously strong, the arrangements are tasteful and textured and lush. I really don't hear what some people are describing as Radiohead "trying to be weird". It's a pretty straightforward album in a lot of ways. There don't really seem to be many frills or pointless extravagances thrown around just for the hell of it. Everything has it's place and seems to be there for the specific reason of propelling the respective songs.

Though I can't tell exactly where it ranks amongst their other albums, i'm pretty positive it can at the very least stand proudly with them.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:31 PM   #220
MisterLove
Pledge

I think "In Rainbows" is really good. It could have possibly been the best (grown up) Radiohead album, but it's too short. It seems like they left off a couple of really good tunes and relegated them to the "bonus disc".

Another flaw is that House of Cards is the longest song on the album, unfortuantely it is also the worst. It just meanders on a bit for me for where it was placed on the tracklist. Am I nitpicking?

Old 10-10-2007, 08:35 PM   #221
Boseph
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterLove
Another flaw is that House of Cards is the longest song on the album, unfortuantely it is also the worst. It just meanders on a bit for me for where it was placed on the tracklist. Am I nitpicking?
This is also my main gripe with the album. It's a nice song and all, but that specific point in the album (between Reckoner and Jigsaw) calls for something more energetic. It kind of breaks the momentum.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:37 PM   #222
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

http://www.ronaldvdberg.nl/giglinkdump/
for some bootlegs

mostly for sans anatomy and myself.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:45 PM   #223
RopeyLopey
Braindead

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermcphilp
http://www.ronaldvdberg.nl/giglinkdump/
for some bootlegs

mostly for sans anatomy and myself.
thank you very much.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:45 PM   #224
sans anatomy
Ownz

sweet, its not a lemon party

thanks dude

Old 10-10-2007, 08:50 PM   #225
paranoid
Minion of Satan

IR is the first radiohead record since OKC that hasn't made me uncomfortable on first listen. Kid A, Amnesiac and HTTT all had me scratching my head (though i fell in love with them pretty fast) during the first few listens.

this record i am falling instantly in love with. so far the criticisms i've read (thom solo 2, overproduction, yadda yadda) all seem a bit nit picky.. because what it comes down to is that this record is a damn fine aesthetic pleaser.. i must have drove through back roads for about three hours today blasting ths record.. comletely easy to get lost in.

ps anone who criticizes that this record sounds like thom solo 2 are pretty suspect as to how well they actually know radioheads music.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:50 PM   #226
waltermcphilp
Socialphobic

you fellas are most welcome!

Old 10-10-2007, 08:55 PM   #227
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RopeyLopey
does there exist some sort of compilation of the new songs from the 2006 tour - something like T&T did for the new SP songs? I like the songs, but at least from the youtube clips I liked songs like All I need or Videotape as played live on their tour more than these album versions.
There was a link on Mortigi Tempo...I'll try to find it again. If not, give me a couple days and I'll upload them onto Rapidshare myself. I have to find my lost thumb drive, which has the songs.

EDIT: waltermcphilip beat me to it. Good show.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:03 PM   #228
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid
IR is the first radiohead record since OKC that hasn't made me uncomfortable on first listen. Kid A, Amnesiac and HTTT all had me scratching my head (though i fell in love with them pretty fast) during the first few listens.

this record i am falling instantly in love with. so far the criticisms i've read (thom solo 2, overproduction, yadda yadda) all seem a bit nit picky.. because what it comes down to is that this record is a damn fine aesthetic pleaser.. i must have drove through back roads for about three hours today blasting ths record.. comletely easy to get lost in.

ps anone who criticizes that this record sounds like thom solo 2 are pretty suspect as to how well they actually know radioheads music.
Trust me, the argument that it's overproduced isn't being nitpicky. When almost every friggin' track has reverb vocals in it, for example, then you know too much time's being spent in the mixing room.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:04 PM   #229
Boseph
Ownz

Quote:
Very true.

I mean, if you're going to criticize a Radiohead album of basically being a Thom Yorke solo album, Kid A would be the most accurate pick.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:07 PM   #230
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boseph
Very true.

I mean, if you're going to criticize a Radiohead album of basically being a Thom Yorke solo album, Kid A would be the most accurate pick.
I thought about that, but I think the fact that you can pretty much factor Amnesiac into Kid A kinda cancels out the whole "Kid A was a Yorke solo album" argument. That said, In Rainbows reminds me a bit of The Eraser...it's livelier and there is something of a full band in it, but there really could have been more guitars and drums in it.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #231
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Trust me, the argument that it's overproduced isn't being nitpicky. When almost every friggin' track has reverb vocals in it, .
the majority of the vocal tracks are pretty damn dry (minus a few here and there).. actually you'd find more reverbed vocals on their previous records than this one. readiohead have always been about grand production anyway.

also, you wouldn't find the same, rich harmonic textures presented on this record on the eraser.. for example i think jonny was a bit more responsble for the progression in faust arp, obviously the orchestral arrangements (not on eraser).. this record sounds to me like onny's going in this atmospheric avant noise + orchestral writing and he's trying it out here. arpeggi is straight up j greenwood minus the vocal melody/lyrics.

im just not hearing the eraser influence.. it can be argued for 15 step and videotape (which does sound like it was recorded by thom by himself in about 20 minutes) but other than that where else are you hearing it?

Old 10-10-2007, 09:55 PM   #232
Boseph
Ownz

Quote:
I thought about that, but I think the fact that you can pretty much factor Amnesiac into Kid A kinda cancels out the whole "Kid A was a Yorke solo album" argument.
How so? They are two separate albums. I know that they were recorded at the same time, but they are two entirely separate collections of songs, with different vibes and, most likely, different levels of involvement from particular band members. I'm speaking about one album, not two.

Quote:
That said, In Rainbows reminds me a bit of The Eraser
I don't hear the Eraser comparison at all. The Eraser sounded thin and cold and sparse. This album doesn't.

Quote:
it's livelier and there is something of a full band in it, but there really could have been more guitars and drums in it.
And once again (not meaning to sound redundant)...does Kid A have lots of guitars and (real) drums?! I think it's obvious that Johnny is more focused on orchestration than guitar-playing this time around. That doesn't mean he's playing a less important role...he's just using different tools. As for the bass and drums, they sound pretty prominent to me.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:22 PM   #233
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1
what album do you think is their last great album?
i only despised HTTT. boring, mindless shit apart from about 1-2 tracks.
Kid A/Amnesiac which was released a while back

i liked HTTT but it wasn't earth shattering

Old 10-10-2007, 10:26 PM   #234
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfighter28
15 Step

Those are orgasmic
so do you specialize in liking shitty stuff

Old 10-10-2007, 10:53 PM   #235
monkeyfritters
Minion of Satan

just by reading every single bit of writing on the kid a/amnesiac sessions... the kid a being a thom solo album notion that so many fans have stuck in their heads is a fallacy. sure it was difficult and tedious process for the band but they were all involved in a big way.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:57 PM   #236
monkeyfritters
Minion of Satan

and dudes... reckoner is absolutely amazing. it is this album's there there. i wish the entire album had similar production. it is the most sad/pretty song on the album.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:04 PM   #237
Boseph
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfritters
just by reading every single bit of writing on the kid a/amnesiac sessions... the kid a being a thom solo album notion that so many fans have stuck in their heads is a fallacy. sure it was difficult and tedious process for the band but they were all involved in a big way.
I don't know if that was directed in part to me, but anyway:

I wasn't implying that Kid A is in any sense a Thom Yorke solo album. But if there was one album I had to label as such it would be Kid A, not In Rainbows. Kid A was so strongly driven by Thom's stubborn, unrelenting vision. And all the electronic influences (Aphex Twin, Autechre, Squarepusher etc) were completely foreign to some of the other band members.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:05 PM   #238
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfritters
and dudes... reckoner is absolutely amazing.
you wont find me disagreeing with this.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:06 PM   #239
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boseph
I don't know if that was directed in part to me, but anyway:

I wasn't implying that Kid A is in any sense a Thom Yorke solo album. But if there was one album I had to label as such it would be Kid A, not In Rainbows. Kid A was so strongly driven by Thom's stubborn, unrelenting vision. And all the electronic influences (Aphex Twin, Autechre, Squarepusher etc) were completely foreign to some of the other band members.
i wouldn't classify any of the RH records as thom solos, period.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:09 PM   #240
Boseph
Ownz

Quote:
i wouldn't classify any of the RH records as thom solos, period.
You're missing my point. Neither would I.

It's just a very silly thing to criticize In Rainbows as sounding like a Thom Yorke solo album (as some were doing) when it sounds much more collaborative and mutual than Kid A.