Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #181
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
oh good lord
oh good lord!

When i talked about a couple of New Zealanders living in Australia, I was talking about my son and me.

duovamp's just trying to defend that drunk blond girl from the picture I think. I think it hurts her hotness value if she's actually being offensive and trashy. Maybe...I dunno. I don't go for slutty blondes, myself...so I can't tell lol.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #182
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
Intent matters legally, so it should matter here. What they're doing isn't as inconsiderate as walking around speaking broken English and saying "me smokem peace pipe." Why can't other cultures share or enjoy other cultures? I just don't think it's necessarily offensive to dress like that, without exception. There are respectful and disrespectful ways of appreciating a culture, and this isn't a case that is always, always disrespectful, like blackface. These kids could actually legitimately think these costumes look interesting and neat and beautiful without tossing anybody on a cross.

Plus free speech. This isn't hate speech.
and the girl in your avatar is being what you would consider respectful?

and intent matters legally but not as much as result. also this is not a trial. and yeah, free speech. ok? i'm not saying these people should be arrested.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #183
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Oh I wouldn't say that dumb bitch is being respectful or considerate. I'm just bothered by the blanket statements I'm seeing that limit people's dress to their own cultures or heritage. I don't think how you dress yourself is morally right or wrong depending on your ancestry. So I'm not defending her, per se, but the rights of other non-Native Americans to wear their ceremonial dress based on legitimate reasons. It felt like people here were saying there were no legitimate reasons to dress like that, ever. I think it can be okay in some rare instances. Unlike blackface.

Last edited by duovamp : 04-28-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #184
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

it's one thing to think something "looks neat" and beautiful and another to make a mockery of it.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #185
cocksure
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Isn't she just pointing out that it's not a nice or cool thing to do, to dress up with the feather head dress thing if you are not a Native American? I mean we can all agree to that, seriously what kind of a douchebag does that.
sorry, i fail to see the logic here. am i supposed to only use whatever cultural entities *my* group (whatever that is: europeans/germans/baltic germans/baltic germans who need a haircut...) uses? i'm unable to know the origin of every little thing i do everyday.

of course, you could say: isn't it obvious that those feather head dresses originate from native americans? yes but isn't that a really stupid simplification in itself, since probably (i'm no expert) not all native american tribes used it? and doesn't its meaning vary depending on space and time?

culture simply isn't that static. but if somebody told me i'm being offensive by wearing that thing i might still consider laying it aside.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #186
Starla

Quote:
These kids could actually legitimately think these costumes look interesting and neat and beautiful without tossing anybody on a cross.

Plus free speech. This isn't hate speech.
Regalia is not a costume. The headdress is not a costume, it's a spiritual and sacred symbol to those tribes who wear them. They are earned over the span of a lifetime. Each feather is earned, and it holds a specific meaning to that person. It's offensive because it doesn't belong to non natives to use so they can play dress up.

I'm Native yet you'll never see me dressing up like these people are. I don't run around with "war paint" and feathers in my hair, and I don't wear buckskin and fringed crap. I don't even own a pair of moccasins that I wear leisurely. People on the rez do not dress like that unless they are in ceremony.

why is this so difficult for people to understand?

Non Native: I wear the indian headdress and feathers cause I appreciate indians and their stuff is cool.

Native: Please don't do that, because it's offensive to me.

Non Native: Nah, I respect your culture and like your stuff too much to listen to what you have to say.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #187
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Sorry. Regalia. I meant regalia moreso than costume.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #188
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

It's kinda like wearing a fake military uniform with medals and stripes that you didn't earn. People who wear that stuff on their uniform have lived through some terrible brutal shit and making out like you deserve to wear something like that just because you think it looks neat. I mean it's just naf.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #189
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

And like when rich people wear denim.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #190
Starla

someone posted this earlier but now I can't find it..... thanks for the laugh

Old 04-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #191
D.
Consume my pants.

Guys

GUYS

I wear a mass-produced Siddhartha necklace thing... Am I being offensive to Buddhists?

Last edited by D. : 04-28-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #192
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

when i used to leave my home i had a sombrero and a poncho. no one cared.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #193
Mooney
Socialphobic

http://i.imgur.com/3Zs28.jpg

Old 04-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #194
MusicMan4

excuse me charmbag but it's spelled Florence + the Machine

Old 04-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #195
MusicMan4

now that i know this stuff is religious in nature i'm totally fine with wearing it and i'm in fact fine with wearing it specifically to mock it

hitchens lives on in my hatred, my alcoholism, my womanizing ways
death envelops us all
i suffocate

Old 04-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #196
slunken
Virgo

haha u guys

Old 04-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #197
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney View Post
If only my avatar weren't so recently changed....

Old 04-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #198
Toby
Just Hook it to My Veins!

have u ever heard the wolf cry to the blue corn moon?

Old 04-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #199
Mooney
Socialphobic

http://i.imgur.com/VgLqJ.gif

Old 04-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #200
Shallowed
Braindead

Old 04-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #201
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

this one is better

Old 04-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #202
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by john's ego View Post
because nappy hair isn't something that any single culture claims dominion over?
lol so you've created an exception in your case

Old 04-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #203
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Man, you should've seen what he said earlier about how no majority can ever be ostracized by definition. It's what made me lol so hard before.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #204
Trotskilicious
Banned

cultural oppression and marginalization should be confronted and acknowledged, that excessive subdividing of culture is ultimately a harmful thing because what is true the world over is that the haves have dominion over the have nots be they white, chinese, indian, or whatever.

also i think it's weird that people who would make fun of western religious cultural hokum without batting an eye would protect the religious cultural hokum of oppressed minorities

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 04-28-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #205
john's ego
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
lol so you've created an exception in your case
In what meaningful way have I created an exception? I'm assuming you think it's cultural appropriation of the rastafarianism, which.... I don't know what to say to that. Ask any anthropologist and they'll tell you it's probably the oldest hairstyle in human history. Cavemen had them for chrissake. As did ancient egyptians, the vikings, buddhists, hindus. Rastafarianism is simply one instance of where dreads are an expression of faith. Though the term "dread lock" is originally a rasta thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
also i think it's weird that people who would make fun of western religious cultural hokum without batting an eye would protect the religious cultural hokum of oppressed minorities
You dig at me for assuming you're dumb when you say dumb shit like this.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #206
john's ego
Ownz

Quote:
Man, you should've seen what he said earlier about how no majority can ever be ostracized by definition. It's what made me lol so hard before.
I edited it because I misread Pasta of Muppet's post, and while what I said is true it wasn't relevant to the discussion.

Now buzz off, adults are talking.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #207
rottenugly
Banned

Now buzz off, adults are talking.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #208
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by john's ego View Post

You dig at me for assuming you're dumb when you say dumb shit like this.
really what is the difference between rosary beads and pope hats and any of this

Old 04-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #209
Trotskilicious
Banned

basically what i'm getting at is that i don't really think white people dressing like movie indians is worth protecting, and that in essence this is about mockery of culture which is wrong, but i am saying i like to make fun of the customs and rituals of the catholic church, and western religion in general

and i can't really think of a justification of how it's different than making fun of indigenous religious ritual

further, if you were just you wouldn't mock any culture

i'd also like to point out that i consistently make a point to label the removal of indians from their land as genocide, and that the reservations are basically minimum security concentration camps

Old 04-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #210
john's ego
Ownz

Christians aren't oppressed.