Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2018, 05:37 PM   #241
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

Severin!

Old 10-18-2018, 05:57 PM   #242
laradelocke
Apocalyptic Poster

Smashing JJ talking about a different dude from ireland who’s name is Moe too - bumblebeemouth

Old 10-18-2018, 05:59 PM   #243
Kahlo

Yeah, that's a different guy. The Antipop was an uptight Austrian if I recall. HE did have moments of awesomeness though, but I wasn't quite sure what he was all about.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:07 PM   #244
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentsRocks View Post
Speaking of MTaE and Oceania, I was noticing that wikipedia for Teargarden https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tearga...y_Kaleidyscope they lump MTaE in there, and I don't know if Billy has said it was supposed to be, the referenced article doesn't say anything about it, but I don't think MTaE should be considered part of TbK. Oceania sounds like an album length collection of TbK tracks, and I'd say Mike Byrne's angry drumming is probably what ties the TbK tracks together, and maybe Nicole's bass, but I'd be surprised if Billy didn't play those parts himself. MTaE with Tommy Lee drumming and the short, poppy rocks songs doesn't fit alongside the TbK works, IMO.
b'arcy confirmed this with an IG post during the SAOSB tour.

teargarden, oceania, monuments, all one project, or album.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:01 PM   #245
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
MonumentsRocks can't be CT if he doesn't like Oceania. Cause the dude is the biggest Corgan homer around and literally loves every single note he's ever recorded after he first discovered the band in 2007 when he was apparently finally allowed to listen to secular music. Talk about an SP poser. He's probably sitting there right now, very entertained, half smilin' with his faux hawk and perpetual 5 o'clock shadow, totally chuffed, self satisfied and smug as ever. And here's me supposedly putting soooooo much effort into hating the band, oh lord this post just took it all out of me!
Dude listened to a podcast episode I made interviewing a fan where we talk about Billy critically FOUR TIMES and sent all the sadmachines to my podcast page to cry about it. Talk about effort! But, hey, thanks for the clicks, man. And allegedly SM hates "clickbait" lmao.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:37 PM   #246
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
Where you're all wrong is that SP started sucking after TAFH was released
well this is just wrong-o

Old 10-18-2018, 07:40 PM   #247
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

They mighta been at their best as a live band between TAFH & band death part 1, tbh
Been really loving the Adore-era shows recently

Old 10-18-2018, 07:45 PM   #248
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Can I get in on this green shirt club?

Summer 2017 baybee:

http://i65.tinypic.com/35jvupz.jpg

Old 10-18-2018, 07:52 PM   #249
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laradelocke View Post
is this thread archived anywhere? i'm super curious. i actually date his ex harmonica player from NAATI
http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=184878

Oh and here's the obligatory copy pasta:
Lawson Taylor Bennett of *edit*

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=184640

Groomed a child for 5 years: http://forums.netphoria.org/showpost...1&postcount=64

Violent behavior towards women:* http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=66588

Sexual contact with a child: http://forums.netphoria.org/showpost...2&postcount=75

Posting nude photos without consent: http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=88973

Racist tokenization: http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=95234

More violence: http://forums.netphoria.org/showpost...&postcount=100

Ephebophiliac behavior: http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=137555

Desire to stalk child he once groomed: http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=62230

Homophobic/transphobic: http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=72461

Rationalizing predatory behavior: http://forums.netphoria.org/showpost...&postcount=139

Ephebophilia is the primary or exclusive adult sexual interest in mid-to-late adolescents, generally ages 15 to 19. The term was originally used in the late 19th to mid 20th century. It is one of a number of sexual preferences across age groups subsumed under the technical term chronophilia.

Last edited by reprise85 : 10-18-2018 at 08:00 PM. Reason: edited out dox info

Old 10-19-2018, 12:12 AM   #250
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

"unbearable love and beauty that lives inside this tower"?

it's a sanitation vent. it vents literal shit vapor to the atmosphere.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:08 AM   #251
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by laradelocke View Post
Smashing JJ talking about a different dude from ireland who’s name is Moe too - bumblebeemouth
Ah ok, missed that post. He still posts sometimes

Old 10-19-2018, 02:34 AM   #252
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Nostalgia thread is all nostalgic.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:40 AM   #253
Slygmous
Ikari Rake Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Oh my God, yes please,

DeviousJ stopped posting years and years ago and I will never stop praying for his safe return, so anything he made you can dig up would be a blessing to the board
NSFW:
https://imgur.com/a/0E14jJE
Anybody remember who was holding the Hem (?) pic?
I'm sure I have more than this, but it requires digging through so many unfunny meme folders. I can't do it anymore.

Old 10-19-2018, 04:08 AM   #254
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Hahahahaha

Old 10-19-2018, 04:15 AM   #255
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet17 View Post
Does anyone remember the Smashing Pumpkins webserver... It was run by a dude with a name spelled something like Jeoron?
I like how some university in Oslo unknowingly provided the soundtracks to so many teenage lives, twelve simultaneous users at a time (or whatever the unbelievably restrictive limit actually was).

Old 10-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #256
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Gave Oceania a relisten this morning...

I do agree this is an album that will be fondly looked back on.

I can only imagine how good it would’ve been with Jimmy.

A lot of the songs are really complex and layered...I’d wager to say it’s the most time Corgan’s spent on an album in a long time when writing it, you can tell it’s not really rushed.

Other than bam bam on drums, what is people’s main issue with it? It’s dreamy 70s prog Rock. It has a cool airy winter vibe to it. Idk. It’s grown on me so much. Where Z and Monuments are unlistenable to me, this ages really well.

It’s proof to me at least corgan needs some unhappiness in his life to write well which is why I won’t sit and bitch about material when it’s obvious he’s happy nowadays

Old 10-19-2018, 12:07 PM   #257
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
I like how some university in Oslo unknowingly provided the soundtracks to so many teenage lives, twelve simultaneous users at a time (or whatever the unbelievably restrictive limit actually was).
Oslo?

Old 10-19-2018, 12:24 PM   #258
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slygmous View Post
NSFW:
https://imgur.com/a/0E14jJE
Anybody remember who was holding the Hem (?) pic?
I'm sure I have more than this, but it requires digging through so many unfunny meme folders. I can't do it anymore.
This was absolutely worth opening on my work computer and risking losing the best job I've ever had

Thank you so much for tracking this stuff down

Old 10-19-2018, 01:07 PM   #259
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

LMAO that's mirrar and Ropey Lopey

Old 10-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #260
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I remember the RSPAA site that was run by Jeroen. Used to chat with him on AIM back in the day, he was really cool.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:40 PM   #261
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

I met him in line for Dec 2 2000

Old 10-19-2018, 07:31 PM   #262
Slygmous
Ikari Rake Warrior

Does anyone remember the context to this DeviousJ pic I just found? I have no idea anymore.
https://i.imgur.com/VAYN3Qp.gif

Old 10-19-2018, 07:54 PM   #263
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
Oslo?
Wasn't Jeroen serving from an Oslo university's network?

That's how I remember it, at least.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:59 PM   #264
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_princess View Post
LMAO that's mirrar and Ropey Lopey
i heard mirrar quit netphoria

Old 10-19-2018, 08:05 PM   #265
s0ss
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
I was on Blamo before my account got approved here and I don't remember this being the case at all. It was a more "controlled" Netphoria with perhaps less outright vitriol but it was in no way the "Billy cock-suck crew" that SM seems to routinely be
To be fair though I was always nice to you because I thought you had down syndrome.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:12 PM   #266
apathy
Oblivious Virgin

I was very active on the alt.m.sp board during the 90s and had a Netphoria login after it started up but was never really active on it. I remember back then Netphoria having a reputation for being juvenile and that seems to be more or less the case today.

I obsessively collected starting in ’94 and followed SP during Adore and Arising tours as well as taped / traded DATs extensively, but was off the grid in a foreign country during the Machina era. I was fairly unimpressed with TFE and Zwan. After having a pretty negative experience meeting Billy before a show on TFE tour that kind of did me in as far as caring too much about SP. As others have mentioned I couldn’t help but show at least a curious interest in what was put out post-2000 and caught a Zeitgeist show. But every time I thought it couldn’t get much worse, I was proven wrong (saw one show with Byrnes and downloaded a couple Teargarden songs) until I just completely gave up.

A year or so ago I decided to start selling off my collection with the idea to get rid of everything except the vinyls. I threw VHS recordings on Youtube and started throwing stuff up on ebay. I didn’t realize though how hard it was going to hit me sentimentally. I sold a Mellon Collie tour shirt for $100 and all the while thought, why on earth would someone pay $100 for a shirt that was sold in every arena in America for a year. At the same time I couldn’t help but think, I’ll never get that back. I started to listening to the music again for the first time in a long time and it really made me realize how my teenage years had no chance against albums like SD and MCIS along with an insane amount of b-sides.

Anyway, the point of this overly wordy narrative is that when I was getting back into the band and catching up with / joining groups online, Netphoria is the only group that came close to offering up a deep dive to catch me up on everything I had missed over the past decade plus. The trolling is a bit much and I don’t understand it considering (I’m assuming) most of us are approaching middle age at this point. If nothing else it takes time, which is in such short supply. But I spent days going through this thing looking through old posts, getting links to download demos and other unreleased tracks I never knew existed. It was amazing.

There’s people on this board that care about archiving music and refuse to believe that Smashing Pumpkins were only really just Billy (which I can’t imagine someone thinking if they were familiar with the band during the 90s). Netphoria actually is a positive group today if you’re more of an old school fan that looks at the band in the context of their full career and not just SP post-2007.

Last edited by apathy : 10-19-2018 at 10:20 PM.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:19 PM   #267
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apathy View Post
There’s people on this board that care about archiving music and refuse to believe that Smashing Pumpkins were only really just Billy (which I can’t imagine someone thinking if they were familiar with the band during the 90s).
It's weird though because you are right in that Billy is responsible for most of the parts in the recordings and nearly all the songs in their whole catalogue, and yet most of us would agree that now after having heard the band in myriad arrangements (Billy has now been SP with James and D'arcy w/o Jimmy, with James and Jimmy w/o D'arcy, with Jimmy and w/o James and D'arcy, plus all these other people) the other members do matter. Having both Iha and Chamberlin back on board simultaneously got Billy/the band into a better sounding place than at any time in the last 18 years

Old 10-19-2018, 10:33 PM   #268
apathy
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
It's weird though because you are right in that Billy is responsible for most of the parts in the recordings and nearly all the songs in their whole catalogue...
Oh...sorry if that wasn't clear. I'm saying I appreciate the fact that people on this board don't believe SP has really only been Billy. And I don't think people really thought that much at all during the 90s.

I 110% agree that Smashing Pumpkins (as a real band) was all the original members even if Billy wrote the vast majority of songs. I mean heck, just in the recent Guitar Player interview it says:

---
Corgan: You know, I think it’s taken me a long time to appreciate what it is about the combination of James, Jimmy and I — who were responsible for the majority of what people would recognize as the band’s seminal work — that yields high results. And I say that with humility.

But here’s one example: We were in the studio, and Rick pulled me aside and he said, “I get it.” And I was like, “What do you get?” And he said, “James softens the metal.” And what Rick meant by that is, James has a way of taking the blunt-force trauma of how Jimmy and I approach rock music and creating a softer, more psychedelic kind of layering thing that somehow makes it feel cooler or sexier. And when you see it happen and you notice it, especially because it hasn’t been around for a while, you’re like, “Oh, that’s that thing that people like!”

James, does that make sense to you?

Iha: [laughs] Yeah. I mean, this time there were definitely a couple of heavy songs where I knew I wasn’t going to be able to make the tracks any heavier. So I just looked for little melodic details or hooks that I could put in to bring out a different kind of sound here and there. My feeling is, if you try to make the guitars even heavier, it just winds up sounding one-dimensional. So I would look for something else to do.
----

I'm sitting there shaking my heading wondering how Billy could just now realize this or why RR thought he had some special insight. The same type of comments could be said for Jimmy and D'arcy. I'd think anyone with half an ear could hear the difference in music between pre and post 2000 SP.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:37 PM   #269
redbreegull

Thumbs up

Quote:
Oh...sorry if that wasn't clear. I'm saying I appreciate the fact that people on this board don't believe SP has really only been Billy. And I don't think people really thought that much at all during the 90s.
oh sorry, I comprehended your sentiment backwards. Yes, I would say most people here recognize the contributions of the other members to what made SP a great band

See, we're not that negative

Old 10-19-2018, 10:40 PM   #270
redbreegull

Quote:
I'm sitting there shaking my heading wondering how Billy could just now realize this or why RR thought he had some special insight. The same type of comments could be said for Jimmy and D'arcy. I'd think anyone with half an ear could hear the difference in music between pre and post 2000 SP.
yah, it's very frustrating. fans could have told billy this two decades ago. he is an incredibly dense and hard-headed person, and not really the smartest guy around tbh, especially when it comes to understanding others and appreciating their value.

I think he really did spend most of the last 20 years convinced it was all about him and truly not comprehending why people don't respond to just him in the way they did to the original band.

In the early days I think they spun the myth that the band functioned like a BAND, then James spilled the beans that Billy does most of the studio work, and from that point on Billy worked to spin the opposite myth, that the WHOLE effort was him and the other people were totally interchangeable