The exploding boy
Apocalyptic Poster

if he won't, can i?

Old 11-21-2014, 07:54 PM   #786
Elphenor
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
The same person who decides if bands should record themselves or not.
Why are you still butthurt

Old 11-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #787
Elphenor
Apocalyptic Poster

I like your music Slunken

Old 11-22-2014, 12:17 AM   #788
The exploding boy
Apocalyptic Poster

Latest track. Well..recorded this last winter actually...but only now finally added a proper drum track to it. Which caused a bit of timing issues, the basic beat i had on it before wasn't 100% steady and you can sorta tell now that i put a steady one over, not all instruments are exactly on the beat.... Oh well. And yes it sounds just the fuck like you know who, more than anything i have posted so far... but when i started this song my idea was actually Sugarcubes Birthday. Of course since Birthday already kinda sounds like a cure song, i ended up just writing a cure song instead by mistake and ended nowhere near Birthday.... well i gotta get it out of my system someday...

Again this is meant to have vocals. But the girl on the picture is back in philly with my microphone...

Old 11-22-2014, 12:24 AM   #789
The exploding boy
Apocalyptic Poster

oh yeah and indeed i like that one slunken. Post rockish.

this could sound even better with some drum. I could hear in my head some rolling or maybe more..galluping.. drums or something like that in the post 2 mins 10 part.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:29 AM   #790
Elphenor
Apocalyptic Poster

Your music is pretty solid, I can dig it for sure but it's so Cure

Old 11-22-2014, 12:35 AM   #791
The exploding boy
Apocalyptic Poster

I know :-/

Like i said i'm getting it out of my system more and more. This is by far the most cure thing iv'e done still. Im working on a new one that's..well still very 80's but less Cure. The thing is even when im NOT in my mind doign a cure song at all, im doing bands that sound close some times.. I mean same era, same sort kinda stuff... so people be like oh its so cure and i'm like..no actually i was ripping off some other band...but i can see why you'd think that....

Old 11-22-2014, 12:37 AM   #792
The exploding boy
Apocalyptic Poster

Also i have this thing where if i wrote something that's not 80's sounding i tend to just discard it even if it's kinda good. That's a problem. I'm definitely 100% stuck in that era

Old 11-22-2014, 01:15 AM   #793
Elphenor
Apocalyptic Poster

There's nothing wrong with playing a certain style of music though, you don't have to be super original. I enjoy 80's style pop guitar so I enjoy your stuff

Old 11-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #794
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
Latest track. Well..recorded this last winter actually...but only now finally added a proper drum track to it. Which caused a bit of timing issues, the basic beat i had on it before wasn't 100% steady and you can sorta tell now that i put a steady one over, not all instruments are exactly on the beat.... Oh well. And yes it sounds just the fuck like you know who, more than anything i have posted so far... but when i started this song my idea was actually Sugarcubes Birthday. Of course since Birthday already kinda sounds like a cure song, i ended up just writing a cure song instead by mistake and ended nowhere near Birthday.... well i gotta get it out of my system someday...

Again this is meant to have vocals. But the girl on the picture is back in philly with my microphone...
i was going to follow but i clicked on your page and all the songs are private. i can barely what other song i've heard you do before or if it even had vocals.

regardless - this is a nice instrumental. what was so bad about the previous drums that you would want to replace them with seemingly out of time drums? also how are the drums recorded? anyway i like it w/out words. i dig that classic, bouncy bass with speedy one-string guitar melody sound.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #795
slunken
Virgo

i'll tell you what it really needs to nail that sound though - at some point after the middle of the song the keyboard should either change or add a feminine vocal/choir voicing playing the harmonies as well.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #796
slunken
Virgo

this guy is worth checking out. all bedroom 70s/80s style guitar based instrumentals

https://soundcloud.com/joe-knight-music

Old 11-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #797
The exploding boy
Apocalyptic Poster

Well see it's not supposed to be just instrumental. I have a 12 tracks meant for full vocals ready but my gf, who sings, hasn't gotten around to recording them partly because life interfering and partly because well..turns out the mic i had was less than satisfactory so i had to get another one and by the time i got it she had to go back to philly for a jury duty thing which is bound to last months. Probably wont start recording voice until february...and god knows how long before we've finished all 12. Probably a year at this rate... i'm pushing for it but not all lyrics are written even.

As for the drums, The original beat was the one that was out of time and the same all the way through because it was meant to be a placeholder beat until i'd get around to writing a proper one that followed the dynamics of the song. But that's the problem...i'm lazy and didn't feel like rerecording all the other tracks...which were recorded following the slightly out of time beat. They're not wildly out of time, its kind subtle and most of the tune they're fine but i can hear it in the bass in one or two part and same with the synth, in one or two parts. Let's just pretend this was all recorded live and one take explaining away the imperfect timing.........

You might ask why couldn't the beat just have been played to follow the other instruments then, well, that's the trick see.... they're not real drums, they're programmed, and i was also too lazy to figure out where exactly they needed to be slowed down to match the rest of the song....i could have done it but it would have likely driven me crazy.

And yeah i know they sound like they are real, but they're not (well ok yeah they're real drum samples though) but it's an amazing software called superior drummer 2 that i use. I can't praise this software enough actually, now i never need to learn how to drum. Mind you this has led to me more closely studying what the drums precisely do in my favorite bands...

of course i didn't pay for the software..(it's like 350$ or something, money id gladly give them if i had it but I don't....), but you can find it pirated easily. Its a 20 gig install though... and works with a DAW of course through a VST plugin.

and yes my tracks are set to private cause they're unfinished because they have no vocals. All those i've put on souncloud so far are like 2 or 3 pages back though (which isn't all 12 of them, some i'm not satisfied with enough yet to upload). There might yet be one or two that will remain instrumental, but those that clearly follow a verse chorus verse bridge type of pattern would do better with vocals.

This is the software in question:

Old 11-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #798
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
Well see it's not supposed to be just instrumental.
then why upload it and or share it

Old 11-23-2014, 03:56 PM   #799
The exploding boy
Apocalyptic Poster

i don't know. Because i'm frustrated with how long it's taking to get vocals on all that stuff (sinc eits out of my hands) and i feel at some point if you keep your art to yourself it's kinda pointless. It's finished essentially...minus vocals. Well, my part in it is finished basically. I started this record project in september 2013 and i don't have one finished song yet. It's really getting to me.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #800
slunken
Virgo

don't let that stop you. find a way to make it happen. by hook or by crook. you can't be left waiting around for god knows how long.

personally i like it just as an instrumental and probably would never listen to a full take with vox.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #801
slunken
Virgo

i bet she doesn't give two shits either

Old 11-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #802
The exploding boy
Apocalyptic Poster

She does. This whole thing would have never started without her. But it's complicated.

And honestly i don't want my music to be just instrumental. I have nothing against instrumental and i write some once in a while (well all the time right now technically but they're structured to have lyrics) but it's not what i set out to do. That's just not what i want. To me this music is useless until i've got vocals on it. I can sorta sing but i'm terrible at both lyrics and (especially) coming up with good vocal melodies so i cant really do it.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #803
slunken
Virgo

but what i'm saying is that - in terms of soundcloud - in terms of what you do - why not just upload everything you've done which is the entire track minus the vocals - adding a voice maybe boost the song but it doesn't boost nor detract from anything you've done.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #804
The exploding boy
Apocalyptic Poster

Well i have uploaded most of the stuff aside from the stuff i feel needs some more work on my part (mainly meaning bad mixing that needs fixing). Which i think at this point is only two songs. but i don't want to make those i uploaded public. I think actually she WOULD care if i did do that, because it would be like saying, meh, I don't care that you never put vocals on those, i consider they're finished as they are. I've only shared those vocals-less tracks in musician threads/forums.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #805
slunken
Virgo

i just think it's incredibly stupid that you're sharing an account in which you're actually not sharing any songs.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #806
slunken
Virgo

gtfo

Old 11-23-2014, 07:07 PM   #807
The exploding boy
Apocalyptic Poster

Im sharing them on this thread? i dont follow you.....

Old 11-25-2014, 11:05 PM   #808
Sonic Johnny
god save the queen