Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #121
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan
 
The exploding boy's Avatar
 
Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."
Posts: 7,843
Default

No one gives a shit a this point but I feel a bit bad about what I said about reprise because it turns out she only responded like cool headed and rationally and even with compassion in some cases when I thought she was probably just batshit insane. That always throws me off you know. You go and be a dick to someone and they won't respond in kind? Then you're like" wow I guess i'm just a dick". Not that I didn't know already. Or maybe she's just so depressed she can't give a shit enough to get defensive.

Though I still think people shouldn't talk about their depression so much and wallow in it. Some people it's like "omg i'm so depressed. I suffer from depression you know and this defines my whole identity. Yeah i'm depressed. So don't give a shit about anything right now, thought i'd let everyone know." They're in love with their depression (didn't someone quote i'm in love with my sadness already?)

Thing is no one gives a fuck outside of you. You're always ever alone. Even the people who love you will only give a fuck for so long when you die. All I know is I used to wallow in my misery and write about it extensively. It only made me hate myself more. Most people expect there will be some magical even that will lift them out of their depression. Someone or something or some drug. None of that will. Or only for so long. At some point you do just need to get proactive no matter how down in the dumps you are. Even when you're so down you feel like you can't even put one foot in front of another. That's still al you can do. Cause no amount of therapy in the world is gonna fix you unless you do something for yourself. And if you can't or are not willing to or if you truly believe that nothing anywhere could ever make you happier, then yeah at some point maybe you are better off dead. there are cases when people just are. I believe that. Death sometimes is the answer. It's just not very PC to say it. But I don't believe in the sanctity of life that much. Starting with my own.

Last edited by The exploding boy : 05-04-2014 at 05:24 PM.

 
The exploding boy is offline
Old 05-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #122
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan
 
The exploding boy's Avatar
 
Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."
Posts: 7,843
Default

am I the only one that sometimes sees the posts all fucked up in the corner? Maybe its my browser

 
The exploding boy is offline
Old 05-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #123
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,647
Default

margin

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 05-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #124
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,647
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Wallowing in your misery and thinking about how useless you are doesn't do much to change your current status of being useless is all I'm saying. To change that you actually do have to get up and do some stuff beyond just looking after yourself.

Step one I guess... Is looking after yourself. Most people figure this out pretty quickly but those of us with significant unresolved childhood trauma take a bit longer. Because you know, hurt feelings etc.
this is stupid advice, shut up

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 05-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #125
reprise85
Submortal
 
reprise85's Avatar
 
Location: Now, I'm not a professional psychologist, but I am an amateur psychologist. And I think that your spontaneous eye-watering may have something to do with your father.
Posts: 27,426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
It's basically occupational therapy with the added bonus that it will induce gratitude and a feeling of usefulness.

Wallowing in your misery and thinking about how useless you are doesn't do much to change your current status of being useless is all I'm saying. To change that you actually do have to get up and do some stuff beyond just looking after yourself.

Step one I guess... Is looking after yourself. Most people figure this out pretty quickly but those of us with significant unresolved childhood trauma take a bit longer. Because you know, hurt feelings etc.
http://sadanxious.com/wp-content/upl...ful-Advice.png

 
reprise85 is offline
Old 05-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #126
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan
 
The exploding boy's Avatar
 
Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."
Posts: 7,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
margin
so that's what this shit is about then.



Also it just occurred to me that you live in Austin and Trotski sounds like something someone who did political sciences might call themselves. Am I right or am I right? It would explain a lot though I suspected as much already.

 
The exploding boy is offline
Old 05-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #127
reprise85
Submortal
 
reprise85's Avatar
 
Location: Now, I'm not a professional psychologist, but I am an amateur psychologist. And I think that your spontaneous eye-watering may have something to do with your father.
Posts: 27,426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
No one gives a shit a this point but I feel a bit bad about what I said about reprise because it turns out she only responded like cool headed and rationally and even with compassion in some cases when I thought she was probably just batshit insane. That always throws me off you know. You go and be a dick to someone and they won't respond in kind? Then you're like" wow I guess i'm just a dick". Not that I didn't know already. Or maybe she's just so depressed she can't give a shit enough to get defensive.

Though I still think people shouldn't talk about their depression so much and wallow in it. Some people it's like "omg i'm so depressed. I suffer from depression you know and this defines my whole identity. Yeah i'm depressed. So don't give a shit about anything right now, thought i'd let everyone know." They're in love with their depression (didn't someone quote i'm in love with my sadness already?)
I didn't get defensive because there wasn't any reason to. I'm not very depressed anymore, and I'm pretty comfortable with how I view the illness and how it manifested/manifests with me, but I'm willing to consider that perhaps I'm too close to it to see if I'm wallowing in it or whatever. But this thread was supposed to be about depression, not really about my depression, if that makes any sense.

Quote:
Thing is no one gives a fuck outside of you. You're always ever alone. Even the people who love you will only give a fuck for so long when you die. All I know is I used to wallow in my misery and write about it extensively. It only made me hate myself more. Most people except there will be some magical even that will lift them out of their depression. Someone or something or some drug. None of that will. Or only for so long. At some point you do just need to get proactive no matter how down in the dumps you are. Even when you're so down you feel like you can't even put one foot in front of another. That's still al you can do. Cause no amount of therapy in the world is gonna fix you unless you do something for yourself. And if you can't or are not willing to or if you truly believe that nothing anywhere could ever make you happier, then yeah at some point maybe you are better off dead. there are cases when people just are. I believe that. Death sometimes is the answer. It's just not very PC to say it. But I don't believe in the sanctity of life that much. Starting with my own.
I am pro-assisted suicide for those with intractable depression, just like any other terminal illness. However, I don't know where you'd define a point where it's okay to do it, and most of the world disagrees. I feel as if I was past the point where I'd consider it ok (meaning, suicide would have been justified in my past situation) - and would understand anyone who is in it as badly as I was who decided to take their own life. However, I disagree that therapy and medication isn't going to do anything unless you "do something for yourself". Going to therapy is "do[ing] something" for yourself. It took me years of therapy and different medications to become functional again. The problem is really then (for many people) that therapy takes time, is expensive, and is emotionally draining. For someone with severe symptoms (who might also have some PTSD and/or personality pathology in with their depression), it involves a lot of tolerance for pain. And some people have that in them, some people don't, and some people do but would rather suicide. And that is all understandable.

All IMO.

 
reprise85 is offline
Old 05-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #128
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan
 
The exploding boy's Avatar
 
Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."
Posts: 7,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
I was once sent to see a occupational therapist (i also once dated an occupational therapist but let's not get into that, jesus no) when I insisted I needed a proper shrink (even those are fairly useless) because pretty much their shrinks couldn't take any more patients. so I went once and she was so full of shit, it's pretty much like the above strip, cognitive behavorial therapy (which I do realize the point of is that depression is an illness). That being said though... this opened up my eyes in a way that the reason this is the kind of therapy they try to give you...is because there's no real therapy that can help anyone. I really don't believe it.

The fact is...when it comes to depression, I mean I GET that it's a vicious cycle you know, you need to do something about your life but you can't because you're so depressed about it, but regardless, there is nothing else you CAN truly do. It might just be my personal experience but no one, no drug or no therapy nothing is gonna save me. At some point you need to just shut the fuck up and kill yourself or actually do something. Or just..shut the fuck up and accept your depression anyway and the fact that you will never do anything worthwhile with your life (i'm kinda between that and doing something...I alternate...I do something to help my life then think why the fuck do I care it's never gonna amount to anything).

I'm curious here has anyone ever had therapy that worked and what was the approach? The shrink I saw a few years ago basically realized that I knew all that was wrong with me and that she couldn't help me because she could only suggest for me to do things that I had no intention of doing. All therapy only works if you do something to help yourself. So yeah, you need to in fact shut the fuck up and do something. And like I said if you can't because your life situation won't allow you, then probably death is the option for you. It's not a big deal. Not everyone is cut out for this thing, or some have been dealt such a shit hand that's all they can logically do.

 
The exploding boy is offline
Old 05-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #129
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan
 
The exploding boy's Avatar
 
Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."
Posts: 7,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
I didn't get defensive because there wasn't any reason to. I'm not very depressed anymore, and I'm pretty comfortable with how I view the illness and how it manifested/manifests with me, but I'm willing to consider that perhaps I'm too close to it to see if I'm wallowing in it or whatever. But this thread was supposed to be about depression, not really about my depression, if that makes any sense.



I am pro-assisted suicide for those with intractable depression, just like any other terminal illness. However, I don't know where you'd define a point where it's okay to do it, and most of the world disagrees. I feel as if I was past the point where I'd consider it ok (meaning, suicide would have been justified in my past situation) - and would understand anyone who is in it as badly as I was who decided to take their own life. However, I disagree that therapy and medication isn't going to do anything unless you "do something for yourself". Going to therapy is "do[ing] something" for yourself. It took me years of therapy and different medications to become functional again. The problem is really then (for many people) that therapy takes time, is expensive, and is emotionally draining. For someone with severe symptoms (who might also have some PTSD and/or personality pathology in with their depression), it involves a lot of tolerance for pain. And some people have that in them, some people don't, and some people do but would rather suicide. And that is all understandable.

All IMO.
Oh just posted my last before reading this. Well so I guess therapy did sorta work for you then.

What was their approach?

 
The exploding boy is offline
Old 05-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #130
Bread Regal
Banned
 
Posts: 5,711
Default

.

 
Bread Regal is offline
Old 05-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #131
Bread Regal
Banned
 
Posts: 5,711
Default

ariel you need to learn so self edit or at least break your shit up into more paragraphs.

 
Bread Regal is offline
Old 05-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #132
Bread Regal
Banned
 
Posts: 5,711
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
this is stupid advice, shut up
vixnix is really terrible at giving advice in general.

hnibos: my boyfriend hit me because i cheated on him
vixnix: well this is all your fault because you cheated on him

really, vixnix should just stay out of threads like this because if she can't learn to avoid projecting her self-hatred onto others, her contributions will make things worse.

 
Bread Regal is offline
Old 05-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #133
reprise85
Submortal
 
reprise85's Avatar
 
Location: Now, I'm not a professional psychologist, but I am an amateur psychologist. And I think that your spontaneous eye-watering may have something to do with your father.
Posts: 27,426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
Oh just posted my last before reading this. Well so I guess therapy did sorta work for you then.

What was their approach?
Mixed approach. I did a lot of group therapy CBT and art therapy in an inpatient PTSD program, probably spent about 6 weeks there over the course of 2 1/2 years. This is where I first learned what happened to me and why my symptoms were what they were. But this did nothing, or very little, to address my depression. Over these two years, I saw a therapist who was not very good. She kind of had your attitude. Thought I was lazy, though she never straight up said it. I finally dumped her about three years ago. She didn't really help me much. But I did start seeing a psychiatrist who also did therapy while I was seeing her; he is mostly psychodynamic and EMDR (trauma processing), but mostly he tried different drugs because nothing was working on it's own and my dissociative symptoms have no approved drugs. After a while, my depression started getting better. It still sucked and I still got hospitalized sometimes, but it was slowly getting beteter.

After I dumped my old therapist, I found one online who specializes in PTSD and dissociative disorders. She is psychodynamic as well, but really our therapy hinges a lot on unconditional positive regard. I like her as a person, and we are alike enough that we speak the same metaphorical language. She isn't "strictly" anything, but incorporates psychodynamic, CBT, DBT, and EMDR, plus other dissociative disorder therapy which I'm not sure has a formal name. I've been seeing her for three years, and I am only just now ready to actually do some serious trauma processing - the first priority (besides getting me to not be suicidal and stop self harming (burning myself) was to be well enough to be able to work and take care of my own money and stuff. It was only about two years ago that I started having control of my own money; I was approved for disability in 2009 (on my first try, which is almost unheard of, esp for a 23 year old), but was not allowed to handle my own finances. So in early 2012 I petitioned to get that right back, and did get it back. In Sept 2012 I got a job, in Oct 2013 I went back to school and took one class, this semester I took 3 classes and worked 25-30 hrs/wk.

Even though I was still suicidal and self harming for years after I started therapy, my cognitive processes were becoming more clear to me and my thought processes got healthier before my behavior did. Oh, I'm also a drug addict, and though I've used drugs maybe 5 times in the past 3 years, I'm not addicted anymore and don't really have cravings. Also stopped smoking cigs about 2 1/2 years ago.

TL;DR first was group CBT/art therapy (which is basically psychodynamic), then heavy medication management and some more CBT and psychodynamic, then an awesome mix of things that doesn't have a name really but hinges greatly on the client/therapist relationship (and unconditional positive regard) while staying on meds and slowly getting off of them. the closest thing I could call it that's a sort-of legitimate type of therapy is 'eclectic'

I basically think I first learned what was happening to me, then I got on meds which eventually helped my depression, then I was well enough (though still very sick) to learn how to help my PTSD and be able to function in the world without having flashbacks and even while having bad dissociative symptoms that are very intrusive (that I still have and my always have). Like, I couldn't be around children ever because they made me have flashbacks. etc. It was bad.

Therapy has definitely helped me. But you need a good doctor. I've been sing my therapist for right at 3 years and my psychiatrist for about 6

 
reprise85 is offline
Old 05-04-2014, 09:37 PM   #134
hnibos
Socialphobic
 
hnibos's Avatar
 
Location: I was just reading, right?
Posts: 14,964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
vixnix is really terrible at giving advice in general.

hnibos: my boyfriend hit me because i cheated on him
vixnix: well this is all your fault because you cheated on him

really, vixnix should just stay out of threads like this because if she can't learn to avoid projecting her self-hatred onto others, her contributions will make things worse.
I just want to say that's not what happened.

 
hnibos is offline
Old 05-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #135
Bread Regal
Banned
 
Posts: 5,711
Default

i realize that is a gross oversimplification of the content of the thread, but she more or less engaged in victim blaming which is her M.O. whenever she solicits "advice" on this board.

 
Bread Regal is offline
Old 05-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #136
Starla
*****
 
Starla's Avatar
 
Posts: 15,779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
God get over it. Help some people out who are less fortunate than you are and you'll soon be counting your blessings.
Said no one who understands depression.

 
Starla is offline
Old 05-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #137
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
vixnix is really terrible at giving advice in general.

hnibos: my boyfriend hit me because i cheated on him
vixnix: well this is all your fault because you cheated on him

really, vixnix should just stay out of threads like this because if she can't learn to avoid projecting her self-hatred onto others, her contributions will make things worse.
she's just trolling, that's it. she has no personality beyond being a troll.

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 05-04-2014, 10:41 PM   #138
MusicMan4
 
Posts: n/a
Default

depression looks like reading kreatorkind's posts on the spotify thread on the sp forum
it just leads to nothing but despair

 
Old 05-04-2014, 11:39 PM   #139
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,647
Default

i like how he expects me to argue with him

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 05-05-2014, 12:29 AM   #140
vixnix
Socialphobic
 
vixnix's Avatar
 
Location: That God you believe in must have had his head right up his arse if he took Luke and not you instead
Posts: 10,136
Default

The truth hurts so people hate it.

I don't mind being a troll. Somebody has to do it, might as well be me.

 
vixnix is offline
Old 05-05-2014, 12:37 AM   #141
vixnix
Socialphobic
 
vixnix's Avatar
 
Location: That God you believe in must have had his head right up his arse if he took Luke and not you instead
Posts: 10,136
Default

My depression is managed by

Medication (lamotrigine & duloxetine)
Monthly Sessions with:
Psychiatrist
Psychologist
General practitioner

Occupational therapy:
Choir
Softball
Fulfilling part time job
Being a mum

So I know it isn't easy. I find it really hard.

But that doesn't make it any less true that if you go out and help people, you'll feel better than you do now. It's worth a try. For a lot of reasons.

 
vixnix is offline
Old 05-05-2014, 01:33 AM   #142
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,647
Default

this is sad, vixnix.

did you break up with your husband, is that why you're here trolling

before i deleted you on facebook i seem to remember some paragraph long rant about how you couldn't do it anymore

are you lonely

is this how people with personality disorders reach out

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 05-05-2014, 01:36 AM   #143
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,647
Default

do we need to bump the thread where you confessed your real life to us so everyone can be reminded that you have issues and "being a mum" is not the cure all that you act like it is when you put on the trollface

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 05-05-2014, 01:39 AM   #144
vixnix
Socialphobic
 
vixnix's Avatar
 
Location: That God you believe in must have had his head right up his arse if he took Luke and not you instead
Posts: 10,136
Default

Erm no I don't think so...I'm pretty good at the moment. I don't do the I can't do this anymore posts at Facebook, I tend to do them here if anywhere.

I don't know why I'm here! I just am. I guess I am bored and spoiling for a fight. They're so easy to have around here.

When was the last time you had a girlfriend?

 
vixnix is offline
Old 05-05-2014, 01:40 AM   #145
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,647
Default

you need to grow up

i can't believe you raise children

and yes, they look and sound like sheltered maladjusted dipshits and the real stories you've already told us that we haven't forgotten haven't convinced anyone they're not

you're loser trash coming here to make fun of loser trash and make yourself feel better

get the fuck out of here already

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 05-05-2014, 01:42 AM   #146
vixnix
Socialphobic
 
vixnix's Avatar
 
Location: That God you believe in must have had his head right up his arse if he took Luke and not you instead
Posts: 10,136
Default

this is entering projection territory for you right hurrrr

 
vixnix is offline
Old 05-05-2014, 01:50 AM   #147
vixnix
Socialphobic
 
vixnix's Avatar
 
Location: That God you believe in must have had his head right up his arse if he took Luke and not you instead
Posts: 10,136
Default

Isn't everybody here loser trash coming here to make fun of loser trash, that's par for the course

Being a mum is rill complex man. It isn't just one thing, like a problem or a solution.

I can't believe I raise kids either. If they met you they'd most probably be kind to you and keep an open mind about you regardless of what your job is or how you look or speak. I'm actually pretty proud of that, and proud of them. They can be dipshits or whatever but if they 're not total assholes and they respect other people and try to be kind and considerate I'll still be proud that I had a big part in raising them.

 
vixnix is offline
Old 05-05-2014, 01:52 AM   #148
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,647
Default

go away! nobody wants you here!

 
Trotskilicious is offline
Old 05-05-2014, 01:55 AM   #149
MusicMan4
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'm still mad that she called me a neck beard milady but I don't know if I feel like opening that up

 
Old 05-05-2014, 01:56 AM   #150
Trotskilicious
Banned
 
Trotskilicious's Avatar
 
Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Posts: 39,647
Default

margin

 
Trotskilicious is offline
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does anyone else have depression? rottenugly General Chat Archive 174 05-11-2014 10:36 PM
Poll: 60% say depression 'likely' Andrew_Pakula General Chat Archive 22 05-10-2014 12:18 AM
My depression is in full remission reprise85 General Chat Archive 37 04-04-2014 08:26 PM
McCain picks Sarah Palin as VP Tchocky General Chat Archive 997 06-09-2009 06:24 PM
how can you think the New Deal exacerbated the depression and at the same time think Debaser General Chat Archive 7 03-18-2009 05:01 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2014