Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 12-31-2018, 01:29 PM   #1
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Default No Future, No Hope

I feel so disenchanted with the current state of SP and I have no hope or interest in any future releases. James won't save them, a D'arcy reunion would just be another level of disappointment, even Jimmy seems increasingly lame. I can't even get excited for the Machina re-release because you know it will not be an improvement in any way. Maybe 2 or 3 new tracks, but even then, they will probably re-dub and ruin them.

The new year is a perfect time to abandon this sinking ship. I am getting rid of my Zwan CD.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:05 PM   #2
TuralyonW3
Immortal

https://media.giphy.com/media/uxXNV3Xa7QqME/giphy.gif

Old 12-31-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
I am getting rid of my Zwan CD.
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/mp/KstH_RB-IRzl.jpg

Old 12-31-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
RAWK
Pledge

It's clearly a cash grab for everyone involved. It's really quite sad that my favorite band of all time has stooped this low.

Old 12-31-2018, 03:05 PM   #5
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

lol your favorite band of time.

HAVE YOU HEARD OF BORIS?

Old 12-31-2018, 04:47 PM   #6
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate
Talking

Do they rawk?

Old 12-31-2018, 04:49 PM   #7
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

In all seriousness, I feel this thread, but I've kind of felt this way for a few years now. I will always have fondness for the original run, but there has just been so much bullshit -- between the recorded output and Billy being Billy -- that I just can't engage with SP in a modern setting. Sure, I could strain to find something I like on the new album, but why bother? There's plenty of great music out there, why settle on crap like Solara?

Old 12-31-2018, 04:50 PM   #8
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Also, good luck getting rid of that Zwan CD. My local landfill stopped taking those back in 2008.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:56 PM   #9
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

https://i.giphy.com/media/GB0lKzzxIv1te/giphy.webp

Old 12-31-2018, 05:01 PM   #10
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

i could give the zwan cd a home

would make a good gag gift next christmas eve

Old 12-31-2018, 05:29 PM   #11
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
In all seriousness, I feel this thread, but I've kind of felt this way for a few years now. I will always have fondness for the original run, but there has just been so much bullshit -- between the recorded output and Billy being Billy -- that I just can't engage with SP in a modern setting. Sure, I could strain to find something I like on the new album, but why bother? There's plenty of great music out there, why settle on crap like Solara?
I have also felt this way before, but a looming Iha reunion held out something. Now we have heard it, and seen whatever the fuck Corgan has morphed into. And it all sucks. To top it off, he has turned into a creepy exploitative father. There is nowhere left to go but down.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:15 PM   #12
fuzzyroes
Banned

Yeah, all complaining aside, I truly thought they would bring their A-game for a new album. It's a disappointment that Shiny is the best they have to offer... Now of course one might rationalize that "the album was rushed and slapped together and if they actually take the time to focus and work hard then it might be good next time", but that's the annoying thing about SP's run over all of these years... There's always these caveats and excuses.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:24 PM   #13
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

I had hope til the D’Arcy debacle turned out to be one of Billy’s all time worst narcissistic blow outs...which says a lot for a guy who yelled at his lollapalooza 94 audience for not paying enough attention to him.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:38 PM   #14
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
I had hope til the D’Arcy debacle turned out to be one of Billy’s all time worst narcissistic blow outs...which says a lot for a guy who yelled at his lollapalooza 94 audience for not paying enough attention to him.
Yeah dude... Brett really lifted the veil up from the whole reunion mystique... That's for damn sure.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:57 AM   #15
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Next record will be even better c’mon you dummies never give up

Old 01-01-2019, 02:31 AM   #16
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

I think I've split Billy into two people to maintain my sanity:

Billy A) An artist who's reissuing his pre-2006 work

Billy B) A shrewd businessman who tells his own fans to fuck off while releasing Silvery Sometimes

Old 01-01-2019, 02:59 AM   #17
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

it's with sympathy that billy gifts you to me

Old 01-01-2019, 05:38 AM   #18
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

The music doesnt give a shit about altherrenrock sp, people have forgotten about them, most fans have turned away and lost interest.

Iha and chamber couldnt contribute enough to make shiny a good album.

No excuses left.

Sick of these cash grab fan milking reissues ( spend those 150 bucks for machina on something useful).

Finally some people have bought my zeitgeist, oceania and monuments on ebay.

No expectation and no interest of hearing a 4th acoustic version of raindrops/sunshowers.

Sp have become a parody and a joke

Old 01-01-2019, 05:54 AM   #19
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

if you're not a real fan, then why are you even here?

Old 01-01-2019, 06:27 AM   #20
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Yeah, all complaining aside, I truly thought they would bring their A-game for a new album. It's a disappointment that Shiny is the best they have to offer... Now of course one might rationalize that "the album was rushed and slapped together and if they actually take the time to focus and work hard then it might be good next time", but that's the annoying thing about SP's run over all of these years... There's always these caveats and excuses.
The way I see it, the original idea was to release one Rick Rubin-produced single to promote the tour. Had they done that, we would be having a very different conversation now. Sure, they could've just released Solara as is, but it wouldn't have been that big of a deal. It would've gotten them all back in the studio working on a low-effort (MTAE outtake) song to get back in to the groove.

Billy said that he was genuinely surprised when Rubin wanted to do all of the 8 demos he presented him when they were trying to decide which song to produce as a single. Now that the album is out, it makes sense. They weren't written with the intention of writing a grand return-to-form SP comeback album. "Well if grandmaster-Rubin thinks they're all good enough, I guess this is the record..." Now even James has a shitty SP album in his resume.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:48 PM   #21
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

I love how Corgan had to mention repeatedly in different interviews that Rick is a notoriously difficult difficult critic of new songs. Good for you Billy. You’re one of the only people ever to have Rick approve all your songs. And you scored higher than anyone ever in your musical aptitude test in grammar school.

Too bad the new album still sucks.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:54 PM   #22
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

The new album failed for its subtitle. Vol. 2 will be called "More Past, More Future, More Sun".

Old 01-01-2019, 03:58 PM   #23
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

And they will do a funny video with a fat little elephant instead of ghosts...

via GIPHY

Old 01-01-2019, 09:09 PM   #24
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac View Post
The way I see it, the original idea was to release one Rick Rubin-produced single to promote the tour. Had they done that, we would be having a very different conversation now. Sure, they could've just released Solara as is, but it wouldn't have been that big of a deal. It would've gotten them all back in the studio working on a low-effort (MTAE outtake) song to get back in to the groove.

Billy said that he was genuinely surprised when Rubin wanted to do all of the 8 demos he presented him when they were trying to decide which song to produce as a single. Now that the album is out, it makes sense. They weren't written with the intention of writing a grand return-to-form SP comeback album. "Well if grandmaster-Rubin thinks they're all good enough, I guess this is the record..." Now even James has a shitty SP album in his resume.
Perhaps that's all true. Only the band and Rubin know for sure. If it is true, it's once again just another caveat. If they decided to put out their anticipated reunion album on a whim of Rubins from some demos that they didn't feel strongly about, then the blame rests solely on Corgan, Iha and Chamberlin.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:12 PM   #25
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
I love how Corgan had to mention repeatedly in different interviews that Rick is a notoriously difficult difficult critic of new songs. Good for you Billy. You’re one of the only people ever to have Rick approve all your songs. And you scored higher than anyone ever in your musical aptitude test in grammar school.

Too bad the new album still sucks.
Rubin produced Weezers worst album too. It at least produced a couple hit singles for the band though.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:13 PM   #26
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
The new album failed for its subtitle. Vol. 2 will be called "More Past, More Future, More Sun".
No chance they do a volume 2.

There wouldn't be much sense in connecting a new release to their biggest flop.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:41 PM   #27
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

oh you mean like they did when Machina was the newest record? Good call, guy

Old 01-01-2019, 09:49 PM   #28
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

They’re officially a nostalgia act.

What’s so wrong with that?

Old 01-01-2019, 09:50 PM   #29
fuzzyroes
Banned

Those songs were recorded at the same time... Entirely different scenario.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:51 PM   #30
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
They’re officially a nostalgia act.

What’s so wrong with that?
Yeah, time the fans just accept it and get on with it.

It happens to all of the greats... No one went to see a group like AC/DC for their new music.