Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2020, 10:20 PM   #151
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
Only great song from this era is the song Zeitgeist which was bizarrely only on the purple target version (not even on the Best Buy silver edition which collected all the stray tracks).
That right there is one of the biggest fart moves that SP has pulled on their fans - reckon it wasn't their decision, but releasing ONE MORE release of the same album that comes in at 67 minutes and to leave one of the four b-sides off? That's just a major middle finger to the poor saps who bought 3-ish copies of the album already. I tacked it onto the end of my silver edition in my iTunes and it comes in at a cool 70 minutes and ends on a really nice acoustic cut.

Other thoughts from the thread:

-Stellar is trendy to say that it's good because it IS GOOD. Thing is a beast. Maybe the best song WPC has put out from 2007 to present.

-Starz is hot. Love the drums and squealing guitar that follows JC's little mini drum solo.

-Death from Above, while the weakest of the b-sides still is an interesting little track that is refreshing when wedged into the middle of the album.

-Bring the Light and Come On are both pretty straightforward guitar songs, but I'd be a liar if I didn't say that they both rip.

-Neverlost is rock solid.

-If you say to me "hey, how does Ma Belle go again?" - I couldn't tell you. But, it is a winner of a song.

-I dig That's the Way. My favorite live version is this one, def not the best recording or prob not the best technical performance, but I love the tone of BC's guitar on it.

I think Reprise's reimagined tracklisting is getting warm. The diversity that the b-sides would have put in there would have been great.

Old 11-14-2020, 10:42 PM   #152
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post

-Starz is hot. Love the drums and squealing guitar that follows JC's little mini drum solo.
I made an .mp3 of this part to alert me when a work thing comes up.

https://gofile.io/d/sS5Sim

Old 11-15-2020, 08:40 AM   #153
thedeadofnight
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
Do you have the rest of the album mixed like that? Sounds infinitely better

Old 11-16-2020, 03:26 PM   #154
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
You say these things like it’s worse than anything after
It's definitely not, but we continue to find new lows regarding Billy's creative prowess or lack thereof even as we speak

If you get rid of 50%+ of the vocals on Zeitgeist and just let us hear BC + JC doing their thing, it becomes a stellar album. I don't HATE it, but it just reeks of missed potential and broken promises, made more agonizing by the skeleton of a very solid, competent album. I truly believe this is Jimmy's best performance, it's just so hard to hear, buried beneath the incessant vocals, echoing Billy choirs, and brickwalled production. Key example: Starz. Great song. Ruined on Zeitgeist.

I posted this in another thread, but 6-12 months of testing these songs on tour and a bit of rearrangement, combined with BC just letting the music breathe and knocking off the diatribes and self-choirs and overproduction would have resulted in an album on par with the first 5.

Old 11-16-2020, 03:31 PM   #155
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Jimmy’s drums are actually the most prominently mixed on Zeitgeist compared to any other SP album. Performance-wise I still think Gish was his best drumming.

Zeitgeist is pretty decent as far as the songs go. The production is the biggest issue. 7 Shades of Black and Starz are weak. Could lose Neverlost and and a couple others too.

Old 11-16-2020, 03:40 PM   #156
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

I suppose what I mean is not that that they're lower in the mix, but that there's more lame bullshit to compete with in the mix. Whatever it is, I'm straining to hear Jimmy and wishing for Billy to just shut up most of the time

Old 11-16-2020, 05:07 PM   #157
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
It's definitely not, but we continue to find new lows regarding Billy's creative prowess or lack thereof even as we speak

If you get rid of 50%+ of the vocals on Zeitgeist and just let us hear BC + JC doing their thing, it becomes a stellar album. I don't HATE it, but it just reeks of missed potential and broken promises, made more agonizing by the skeleton of a very solid, competent album. I truly believe this is Jimmy's best performance, it's just so hard to hear, buried beneath the incessant vocals, echoing Billy choirs, and brickwalled production. Key example: Starz. Great song. Ruined on Zeitgeist.

I posted this in another thread, but 6-12 months of testing these songs on tour and a bit of rearrangement, combined with BC just letting the music breathe and knocking off the diatribes and self-choirs and overproduction would have resulted in an album on par with the first 5.
that's a great point. for SD and MCIS they were playing some of the songs live before recording. did that ever happen for future records?