Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2020, 06:26 PM   #1
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Political Views of SP?

It's hard to pin down any of them besides Billy, and even he can be confusing, but based on what I know here is how I would describe them politically:

Billy: Libertarian, with a tendency towards being a conspiracy theorist. Formerly Liberal as far as I can tell, or at least willing to support the Democratic party in the past.

D'Arcy: Unknown. She has made it clear she dislikes Trump however.

James: Liberal. Basing this off people he follows on Twitter.

Jimmy: Progressive/Leftist. Again, basing this off people he follows on Twitter.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:40 PM   #2
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Billy seems to veer pretty close to alt-right

Old 05-14-2020, 06:44 PM   #3
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Billy seems to veer pretty close to alt-right
Certainly his friendship with Alex Jones could have one suspect that, but he does describe himself as a "free market libertarian" IIRC. This is not to say there aren't members of the alt right who don't call themselves libertarians, of course.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:37 PM   #4
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
James: Liberal. Basing this off people he follows on Twitter.

Jimmy: Progressive/Leftist. Again, basing this off people he follows on Twitter.
You might wanna change the approach of basing anything on the public display of followed accounts.

I made a fantastic list of accounts that should be followed once (for work), because it portrayed the affiliation that fitted the marketing, not because I gave a shit about these accounts. These are public figures who sell something. Twitter is a tool, not their diary.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:53 PM   #5
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Billy has no cogent political beliefs. His whole life he has viewed himself as being too smart and individualistic to adhere to any kind of "groupthink." The thing is that politics is about the interaction of people, and there is only one person Billy Corgan cares about.

Old 05-14-2020, 08:55 PM   #6
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Billy is a contrarian more than anything. The only reason he went on Alex Jones was to bait people into saying he went over the edge, and to say that it was okay to have conversations with people even if they're way off the reservation. I think he would have more foundation to stand on if he practiced more free speech advocacy in his actual life where it seems to be a problem for people to say anything about him without being disproportionately criticized or dragged through the mud

Old 05-14-2020, 09:20 PM   #7
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
You might wanna change the approach of basing anything on the public display of followed accounts.

I made a fantastic list of accounts that should be followed once (for work), because it portrayed the affiliation that fitted the marketing, not because I gave a shit about these accounts. These are public figures who sell something. Twitter is a tool, not their diary.
This is very interesting to know. What a cynical world we live in.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:23 PM   #8
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Billy has no cogent political beliefs. His whole life he has viewed himself as being too smart and individualistic to adhere to any kind of "groupthink." The thing is that politics is about the interaction of people, and there is only one person Billy Corgan cares about.
I agree with your assessment of Billy, but I would argue he at least used to align himself with the American left wing. His exact affiliations were unclear, though. He did mention voting for Bill Clinton in 1992.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:41 PM   #9
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
I agree with your assessment of Billy, but I would argue he at least used to align himself with the American left wing. His exact affiliations were unclear, though. He did mention voting for Bill Clinton in 1992.
Absolutely. I saw SP in November 08 after Obama was elected, and he said he was very proud of his country for doing the right thing.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:14 AM   #10
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Absolutely. I saw SP in November 08 after Obama was elected, and he said he was very proud of his country for doing the right thing.
That really wasn’t that long ago. I wonder what happened. I’ve soured on Obama too but that’s because I’ve become more left, not more right like Billy has. So I don’t really think the legitimate reasons to critique Obama are what soured Billy on him. Dude was blaming Obama for H1N1 or some other batshit thing.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:21 AM   #11
myosis
Minion of Satan

I myself would follow a lot of right-wing people on twitter, I want to know different points of view.
I had to unfollow a few people though, and at some point twitter would interpret my string of latest follows as me being right-wing and kept suggesting posts by some typical dumb conservatives debating petty points... I don't know how to tell it I'm only interested in smart people or political figures. I just disabled all email notifications.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:54 PM   #12
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
I myself would follow a lot of right-wing people on twitter, I want to know different points of view.
I had to unfollow a few people though, and at some point twitter would interpret my string of latest follows as me being right-wing and kept suggesting posts by some typical dumb conservatives debating petty points... I don't know how to tell it I'm only interested in smart people or political figures. I just disabled all email notifications.
It's good to get different perspectives for sure, but I would hate getting right wing fucks in my twitter feed. I don't think there's a way to get the algorithm to understand your personal motivations, so it's probably going to continue to assume you want to see dumbass right wing accounts.

Old 05-15-2020, 06:40 PM   #13
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy is deep into QAnon stuff - Politically, he’s a lunatic

Old 05-16-2020, 06:19 PM   #14
BurtSampson
Apocalyptic Poster

He calls transgender people shapeshifters and says Social Justice Warriors ruined his career on infowars. It’s not too hard to figure out his leaning.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:24 PM   #15
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtSampson View Post
He calls transgender people shapeshifters and says Social Justice Warriors ruined his career on infowars. It’s not too hard to figure out his leaning.

Classic B0lly. No self awareness, just lashing out at fans.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:28 PM   #16
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

our attributing of his shapeshifter story to the transgender tales of the mid-80s are one of the greatest human achievements of the late 2010s

Old 05-16-2020, 06:29 PM   #17
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
our attributing of his shapeshifter story to the transgender tales of the mid-80s are one of the greatest human achievements of the late 2010s
Even greater than writing Meadow Goats?

Old 05-16-2020, 06:31 PM   #18
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

trying to be realistic here

Old 05-16-2020, 07:17 PM   #19
redbreegull

I agree there is no specific reason to think his shapeshifter nonsense was code for the transgender woman he threatened. I mean it could be but why would it be surprising that b0lly thinks he saw an actual shapeshifter

Old 05-17-2020, 02:27 PM   #20
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Billy has too much money not to be a Republican now. But he can't be honest about that with himself, because it isn't cool. So he bounces around weird conspiracy theories and vague, incoherent criticisms of "elites" and "systems" like some kind of anarcho-libertarian which of course is not a cogent political platform at all, because, as others have pointed out, the only person he really cares about is himself.

Which is a long-winded way of saying he's just another libertarian dressed up in faux intellectualism and pre-rational ideologies, obfuscating the fact that he wants to keep his money and doesn't really care about politics aside from taking easy potshots at corruption in Washington. The fact that he's keen on the whole mysticism aesthetic confuses some people since it's typically associated with hippie liberal folks, such as juice cleanse dieticians, crystal healers, and wooks.

Also, back when he was a rockstar, he was pretty clearly liberal. Now he's old and grumpy and boring and clearly on the Repbulican side of the spectrum.