Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 11-11-2008, 02:24 PM   #1651
Mo
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jczeroman View Post
It's just the sum of a ton of small things. There just isn't a real prevalence into the working classes of multiple cars, dryers, dish-washers, toaster-ovens, decent cell phone plans, forced-air heating, air conditioning, double-glazed windows, closets, zip-locked bags, double sinks, single faucets, power-showers, power-flushed toilets. These are just at random and all I can think of in a few minutes, but we were already dirt poor in the US and still had these things. I am not saying stuff like this doesn't exist here - but there just isn't the disposable income to buy it.
Are you sure you moved to Bristol and not Botswana?

Old 11-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #1652
TheMilstead
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnibos View Post
isnt it so annoying when youre hanging out with friends, and they are fucking TEXTING aksdhjflkhafdsjklfd
Yeah, I really hate that. I remember hanging out with this girl once who texted her way through the night. We didn't make much progress in conversation at all. Understandably, I felt I wasn't entertaining enough or whatever for her to be so distracted with her phone, so I didn't see her again the next couple of weeks. It was later that I found out she was interested in me and wished she could see me more, BUT I WOULDN'T HAVE FRIGGIN' KNOWN THAT FROM THE LACK OF COMMUNICATION WHEN WE WERE TOGETHER.

Drives me up the wall, I tell you.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:41 PM   #1653
Sarcastic Smile
Amish Rake Fighter

Location: I fuck in my spare time, this is what I do at work you dumb bitch.-esty

My friends dog

Photobucket

Photobucket

This sign was before some road work on my way to school the other day.. I just found it funny.. no other signs are like that.. they all say "work ahead" or something along those lines

Photobucket

Old 11-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #1654
mistle
bonnie stars

Quote:
It's just the sum of a ton of small things. There just isn't a real prevalence into the working classes of multiple cars, dryers, dish-washers, toaster-ovens, decent cell phone plans, forced-air heating, air conditioning, double-glazed windows, closets, zip-locked bags, double sinks, single faucets, power-showers, power-flushed toilets. These are just at random and all I can think of in a few minutes, but we were already dirt poor in the US and still had these things. I am not saying stuff like this doesn't exist here - but there just isn't the disposable income to buy it.
there aren't enough in the world for this post

Old 11-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #1655
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

no double-glazed windows AND no ziplocked bags??! the horror!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #1656
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Thumbs up

Quote:
HAHAHA here's to hoping you get killed by a bunch of drunk hooligans. Go move to a third world country and learn how to live, asshole.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #1657
jczeroman

I would challenge any lower-middle class (and up) North Americans to go live in the UK and tell me that you are bathing in anything even remotely similar. You have no idea how much you miss something like a dryer until you realise that a cycle of clothes takes half a week or more. You just have no idea. I run into Americans and Canadians all the time at the University here and I haven't met one that didn't complain until they were blue in the face as to just how backwards this country is.

Seriously, it's deceptive because it looks like 2008 - but technology-wise, it's about 1983.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:07 PM   #1658
wHATcOLOR

Quote:
I run into Americans and Canadians all the time at the University here and I haven't met one that didn't complain until they were blue in the face
perhaps you attend a university for smurfs

Old 11-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #1659
???
Minion of Satan

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to wHATcOLOR again.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:27 PM   #1660
Mo
Immortal

Quote:
I would challenge any lower-middle class (and up) North Americans to go live in the UK and tell me that you are bathing in anything even remotely similar. You have no idea how much you miss something like a dryer until you realise that a cycle of clothes takes half a week or more.
WHAT?!

Old 11-11-2008, 07:31 PM   #1661
mercurial
$ W▲ G

Quote:
I would challenge any lower-middle class (and up) North Americans to go live in the UK and tell me that you are bathing in anything even remotely similar. You have no idea how much you miss something like a dryer until you realise that a cycle of clothes takes half a week or more. You just have no idea. I run into Americans and Canadians all the time at the University here and I haven't met one that didn't complain until they were blue in the face as to just how backwards this country is.

Seriously, it's deceptive because it looks like 2008 - but technology-wise, it's about 1983.
there are more interesting and worthwhile things in life than a fancy microwave and 17 different brands of instant low fat soup.

complaining about these sorts of things makes you come across, to me at least, as incredibly materialistic. and i'm not trying to defend the UK or anything.

what do you like about the UK? what makes it worthwhile? you having fun, mate? you met some interesting people? learning a bit about yourself and the world while you're out there?

Old 11-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #1662
mercurial
$ W▲ G

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
WHAT?!
he's got soggy undies, and he's pissed off!!

Old 11-11-2008, 07:51 PM   #1663
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

Be careful Colin, you've criticized Europe and their newfound EUistic pride won't stand for that.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #1664
jukeboxphuckup
Ownz

Quote:
To be honest with you, England is one of the most backwards countries I have ever been to lacking even basic innovations and products. But yea, the whole career/PhD thing is working out well, but I never imagined I would be on a standard of living so low.
Is it because they haven't fully embraced free market capitalism or is it because you're not working hard enough?

Old 11-11-2008, 08:11 PM   #1665
Mo
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial View Post
he's got soggy undies, and he's pissed off!!
Probably.

People in the UK have dryers, WTF? And even if they don't - it doesn't take "half a week" for wet clothes to dry.
You are spoiled, Colin.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #1666
Eulogy
huh

man, you guys sure are getting defensive.

I'm gonna be in London for four months, and the people at my school made a point to tell us that we will have American-style washers and dryers in our flats. whatever that means.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #1667
sickbadthing
Out fart the hottie!

What, no mention of the awful toilets in Europe?

YOU AND YOUR AMERICAN EXCESSIVE INDULGENCE BEING ABLE TO SIT TO SHIT!!! AMERICAN SWINE!!!

Old 11-11-2008, 08:55 PM   #1668
sickbadthing
Out fart the hottie!

And how about those upper deck turd collector German shitters?

Awesome.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:55 PM   #1669
Hate the Hater
Apocalyptic Poster

http://legacy.csfa.net/images/JerryMathers-TonyDow.jpg

Old 11-12-2008, 01:12 AM   #1670
Hillzy
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: Posting Rules You may post new threads You may post replies You may post attachments You may edit your posts

I think I know what jczeroman is talking about, our standard of living here is pretty much the same as the UK. Of course, I've also tended to find when living with Americans that they are noticably more dependent on appliances, lack lots of practical skills and use shitloads of electricity. Sorry about the generalisations, I know this doesn't apply to everyone.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:20 AM   #1671
neopryn
let's see your penis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillzy View Post
I think I know what jczeroman is talking about, our standard of living here is pretty much the same as the UK. Of course, I've also tended to find when living with Americans that they are noticably more dependent on appliances, lack lots of practical skills and use shitloads of electricity. Sorry about the generalisations, I know this doesn't apply to everyone.
No, it does.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:54 AM   #1672
Banana
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic Smile View Post
My friends dog

Photobucket

You are an extremely feminent guy to shave your legs. Pretending to a be a chick online is one thing, but you are really taking this to a whole other weird level.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:58 AM   #1673
Sarcastic Smile
Amish Rake Fighter

Location: I fuck in my spare time, this is what I do at work you dumb bitch.-esty

You're a fucking creep . .

Old 11-12-2008, 01:58 AM   #1674
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post

chillin', chillin'
There is a girl in my speech class that looks JUST like you.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:30 AM   #1675
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
man, you guys sure are getting defensive.
Care to explain exactly who is getting defensive over exactly what?

Old 11-12-2008, 02:34 AM   #1676
agenda suicide
cunt cookies

my dad being a badass

Old 11-12-2008, 02:36 AM   #1677
wHATcOLOR

i misread that as dumbass and prefer that reading

Old 11-12-2008, 02:38 AM   #1678
agenda suicide
cunt cookies

Jesse, don't hate on my dad. I will fuck you up.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:09 AM   #1679
jczeroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial View Post
there are more interesting and worthwhile things in life than a fancy microwave and 17 different brands of instant low fat soup.

complaining about these sorts of things makes you come across, to me at least, as incredibly materialistic. and i'm not trying to defend the UK or anything.

what do you like about the UK? what makes it worthwhile? you having fun, mate? you met some interesting people? learning a bit about yourself and the world while you're out there?
Oh there's no question that I am satisfied with being here. After all, I chose this. But if the question is over material things and wealth - the UK lacks compared to the US and Canada. You would have to have a very incomplete or biased reading of my comments to get the idea that I'm complaining in the sense that you articulate above. I'm just saying the UK is behind in these things and it takes a significant adjustment to get used to not having these things that even the working-classes in North America have.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:11 AM   #1680
jczeroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukeboxphuckup View Post
Is it because they haven't fully embraced free market capitalism or is it because you're not working hard enough?
I have a standard of living that is lower because there isn't a lot of capitalism here to leech off of.