Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2020, 03:59 PM   #1
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Let's talk about those timers...

OK, so let's talk about those countdown timers for a minute.

Conceptually, they were exciting. There's something about the human brain that likes something to look forward to. But SEVEN somethings? Man, that's something to be excited about, especially in a year like 2020 has been. Even when we all know that most of them are going to be very likely, announcements of announcements, there's a CHANCE that one of those is going to be something good - archive release, Machina remaster - SOMETHING cool.

First timer stops ticking a few weeks ago. No change to main site. Click in, and you're in the Oracle again, with no obvious changes. Resort to go to their Facebook page to figure out what the announcement was - that there are two new songs on streaming platforms. Next morning, the video shows up.

Second timer stops ticking this past Thursday night. Same thing. No changes to main site. Again, in the Oracle with the crow. Before clicking this time, resort to Facebook, tracklisting and cover art announcement - which is a very lame resolution to a timer counting down. Next morning, just slapdashed onto their social media pages are links to buy the vinyl.

Why was the video release not schlacked onto the main page immediately when the first one stopped? And the same for the records with the second time?

Both just so, so poorly executed.

I started writing this post a few days ago - then never finished.

In writing this, I went back to check out the timers and well, they're gone. If those things just disappear and we never know what the other five were to point to, that is WPC "Gish Week", "Metro Show", "Rarities Series", "Deep Dives on Instagram" level backpedaling.

Old 09-20-2020, 04:02 PM   #2
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

The oracle and timers and animation, all this crap is just so tiring to me. I literally don't care about any of it. Just quit fucking around and release the album, you don't need all this gimmicky stuff.

Old 09-20-2020, 04:32 PM   #3
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

I thought it was kinda exciting (but badly done) and when the 2 songs + video hit I honestly believed that each one was going to be ~something~. I think we all expected less than 2 songs and a video. Second one was of course massively underwhelming.

I believe that the cartoon series was supposed to come out on the second one but wasn’t quite ready so they pushed out the artwork and tracklisting to save face. Maybe that’s screwed up subsequent countdowns so they’ve scrapped the whole thing.

Wasn’t the final countdown added later and was only a week after the previously final one? I think it was supposed to be for the album release but maybe a delay in manufacturing so tracklisting and artwork was supposed to be released then with the album release moved to the new final one

Old 09-20-2020, 07:26 PM   #4
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post

I started writing this post a few days ago - then never finished.

Don't give up, you still have..... time.

Old 09-20-2020, 07:31 PM   #5
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

https://www.sumerianentertainment.com/test/

Old 09-21-2020, 01:36 AM   #6
Ram27
dumb

i'm absolutely amazed they didn't have the schedule set in stone before launching this

like, if this were a proper fucking band with fans who weren't jaded to death or sycophants, we'd be putting this shit on our calendars and planning our days around it. maybe someone would use it as hope in a dark time - if i kill myself now, i'll never see the end of this - and it's my favorite band ever so it means a lot

etc
etc

instead it's this shit.

billy corgan has lapped billy corgan

Old 09-21-2020, 01:51 AM   #7
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

time to switch to boris?

Old 09-21-2020, 01:51 AM   #8
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

please, it's William Patrick

Old 09-21-2020, 02:59 AM   #9
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

I also like boris becker.

Timers are worthless. 2nd timer was for an announcement of an announcement.

I shit on the stupid sp homepage

Old 09-21-2020, 05:48 AM   #10
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

I agree, you would expect at least to be able to click on the counter when it reaches zero and it takes you to the thing. I don't want to go hunting social media sites for whatever it is. In fact last two times I just went on here and found out.

Old 09-21-2020, 07:40 AM   #11
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
i'm absolutely amazed they didn't have the schedule set in stone before launching this

like, if this were a proper fucking band with fans who weren't jaded to death or sycophants, we'd be putting this shit on our calendars and planning our days around it. maybe someone would use it as hope in a dark time - if i kill myself now, i'll never see the end of this - and it's my favorite band ever so it means a lot

etc
etc

instead it's this shit.

billy corgan has lapped billy corgan
I'm amazed that WPC, who doesn't have a great track record on following through with things, gave himself 7 deadlines.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:51 AM   #12
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

And God help the soul who dares to ask him on Instagram what happened to the timers.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:56 AM   #13
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
time to switch to boris?
What is it with you and this perpetual talk of Boris? They're a second rate Sigh (サイ) and haven't really done anything good since Heavy Rocks.

Old 09-21-2020, 10:00 AM   #14
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
I agree, you would expect at least to be able to click on the counter when it reaches zero and it takes you to the thing. I don't want to go hunting social media sites for whatever it is. In fact last two times I just went on here and found out.
Whats worse is I knew what the two reveals were before the timers ended because it leaked hours before hand. Just redundant that its both leaked and underwhelming.

Old 09-21-2020, 10:25 AM   #15
FoolofaTook

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
What is it with you and this perpetual talk of Boris? They're a second rate Sigh (サイ) and haven't really done anything good since Heavy Rocks.
That's it! I just ordered the mods to perma ip ban you. (They eagerly obey my will.)

Old 09-21-2020, 11:18 AM   #16
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
That's it! I just ordered the mods to perma ip ban you. (They eagerly obey my will.)
i'll co-sign this

it's like the dude is actively on a mission to have the worst opinions yet known to man (/netphoria)

Old 09-21-2020, 11:23 AM   #17
FoolofaTook

Good.

I think it would be a great idea to have a list of everyone whose ever said anything remotely negative about Boris. We should purify this board.

Old 09-21-2020, 11:36 AM   #18
run2pee
Minion of Satan

C’mon u dudes, lay off AvLo. He’s like the only member (of which im aware) who’s caught a big willie loogie in the face

Plus he’s got bitchin industry anecdotes galore from his days as a Christian emo groupie?

He’s a valued boarder, even if u may somewhat disagree with some of his various opinions from time2time

Old 09-21-2020, 11:39 AM   #19
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
C’mon u dudes, lay off AvLo. He’s like the only member (of which im aware) who’s caught a big willie loogie in the face

Plus he’s got bitchin industry anecdotes galore from his days as a Christian emo groupie?

He’s a valued boarder, even if u may somewhat disagree with some of his various opinions from time2time
And he organized so many gorilla shows.

Old 09-21-2020, 11:39 AM   #20
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

you're right, i forgot about the "I walked in on Linda Strawberry fucking Billy Corgan" story

that alone prob protects him from any future ban suggestions or other such decimating behavior - sorry ALo!

Old 09-21-2020, 11:46 AM   #21
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

there's probably what 150 smashing pumpkins fans/well wishers tops in 2020 and a good chunk of them have weird corgan shrines in their bedrooms and live on instant noodles because they spend every bit of money they have on smashing pumpkins merchandise. don't ban anyone stop all the negativity

Old 09-21-2020, 11:48 AM   #22
FoolofaTook

this is about boris, bro.

and you three are getting banned too (for conspiring to protect the apostate)

Old 09-21-2020, 11:48 AM   #23
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
there's probably what 150 smashing pumpkins fans/well wishers tops in 2020 and a good chunk of them have weird corgan shrines in their bedrooms and live on instant noodles because they spend every bit of money they have on smashing pumpkins merchandise. don't ban anyone stop all the negativity
dude you like Alienation why the fuck would we listen to you??? get Gary on the line or forget about it!

Old 09-21-2020, 11:52 AM   #24
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

the bit where he sings "in merry tiiiiiiiiiiiime" has a drum roll!! The most dynamic thing the band have done since Jimmy came back

Old 09-21-2020, 01:07 PM   #25
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
i'll co-sign this

it's like the dude is actively on a mission to have the worst opinions yet known to man (/netphoria)
Oh Joey, man, C'mon! I though we were friends.

Old 09-21-2020, 01:08 PM   #26
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

My guess is that, like his Chicago album, he went online after cyr and col and saw a few people say they didn’t like it so he scrapped the whole album. “Best album ever and it’s literally sitting on a shelf “ said billy.

Old 09-21-2020, 01:49 PM   #27
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Christian emo groupie?
I dunno where the X-tian thing comes from, but I'll take the groupie hit. Anyone remember Fuck Yeah Groupies on Formspring?

Old 09-21-2020, 02:13 PM   #28
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
shelf
can

Old 09-21-2020, 03:10 PM   #29
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
My guess is that, like his Chicago album, he went online after cyr and col and saw a few people say they didn’t like it so he scrapped the whole album. “Best album ever and it’s literally sitting on a shelf “ said billy.
The culture just wasn’t ready for it. In twenty years people will begin to understand it.

Old 09-21-2020, 04:34 PM   #30
tweedyburd
Ownz

Arrow

Like any enabler who wishes they could finally trust their drug-head partner when they promise they're finally going to get better, I have no excuse for putting any stock in this concept's initial promise and its execution based on prior experience.

The most aggravating thing is that he so desperately wants to be viewed as a legitimate and relevant contemporary artist, but he and his team consistently fail at even the most basic PR and marketing performance when it comes to rolling out his projects, managing expectations and delivering on promises. For someone who has constantly blathered on about technology over the years he can't even get the absolute lowest-bar basics right.

Like some others said, I can't believe (well, yeah, I guess I can) they didn't secure every last detail of this prior to launch and just have it on a bot ready to launch at those exact times. Why the hell can't you click on the timed out slots to find what each one was? Why isn't shit immediately available to view when the countdown ends (why even have a countdown)? Seriously, is there a Geocities intern from 1999 managing their online presence? This is just basic stuff that should be no-brainers. And now, like every other fucking thing he's announced in the past X number of years, it appears this portion of the whole project is now scrapped.

Goddamn, he makes it so hard to pull for him sometimes.

Last edited by tweedyburd : 09-21-2020 at 04:41 PM.