Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #61
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

this song has been the hardest to listen to all the way through so far. don't think i'll listen to any of these again any time soon.

lol jesus fucking christ what a joke hahaha a fucking rock band i tell you! rock on! keep on truckin'! GUITAR HERRO! oh boy. you know where you can put that sitar?

Old 03-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #62
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
you know where you can put that sitar?
Back in its case?

Old 03-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #63
Nothing/everything
Minion of Satan

yawn.
back to listening to slowdive for me.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #64
Cool As Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpee View Post
Back in its case?
fine, if you wanna call it that.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #65
redbull
Immortal

this kind of reminds me of djali zwan stuff

Old 03-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #66
Mo
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Just boring.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #67
redbreegull

It isn't exactly what I would call great, but it is much better than Widow, and I think it is put together better than bong for a schlong.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #68
anonadieu
Oblivious Virgin

I really quite like it.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #69
omoi
Pledge

sounds like Achy Breaky Heart.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #70
severin
no more than sympathy

why do i even bother.....

Old 03-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #71
Mablak
Minion of Satan

Location: Well, if it isn't my old friend, Mr. McGreg, with a leg for an arm and an arm for a leg!

I think the main thing that makes this song boring is the lyrics, it's just impossible not to zone out after a while. It's not terrible though, the tune is good enough. Still nothing else really going for it.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #72
Caine Walker
Braindead

yeah, i kinda zoned out too.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:22 PM   #73
Funky_Gibbon
Pledge

I wasn't sure about it at first, I missed the violin, but by the end of it I was really enjoying the song. Not bad at all, vocals set at a much more comfortable level and nice to hear someone else singing backup.

6.5/10. Half a point deducted because the synth or whatever it is is quite piercing.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #74
Funky_Gibbon
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I can live happily with that.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #75
Rickpat12
Apocalyptic Poster

In other news...KB's most recent tweet suggests that Tom Tom is going to be in the next batch of four.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #76
Corganist
Minion of Satan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickpat12 View Post
In other news...KB's most recent tweet suggests that Tom Tom is going to be in the next batch of four.
Awesome. That one may be my favorite of all the Spirits/Backwards Clock stuff.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #77
deadaswarhol
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: and I just felt something when I saw her that day at Kroger

i'm listening to music most of the time on the computer, so every time one of these leaks, i pause the music i'm listening to to listen to it, then when i go back, whatever i was listening to is WAY better than the SP song.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #78
Rickpat12
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corganist View Post
Awesome. That one may be my favorite of all the Spirits/Backwards Clock stuff.
agreed. Add The Fellowship and Emerald Green and you have all my favorites.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #79
CrabbMan
Amish Hoe Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
SP has always been about albums for me
this song by song BS is making it hard to enjoy.
Have hope. Just because it's being released song by song, doesn't mean it won't make up an album eventually. I rather like the way the sound of Kaleidyscope is shaping up. Or if not the sound itself (it's a little more synthy-physcedelic than I'd prefer--I'm more of a wall-of-fuzz rock kinda guy, or even arcane night music) I like that it has a consistent kind of sound. Though I wonder if each EP will be more cohesive themselves. I guess we'll see when track 5 comes out.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #80
AlphaCentauri
Demi-God

I bet the version recorded on his cell phone is the definitive recording.

He should take a peak back at some blonde on blonde and realize how awesome recording an entire album in 2 takes really is.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #81
redbull
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadaswarhol View Post
i'm listening to music most of the time on the computer, so every time one of these leaks, i pause the music i'm listening to to listen to it, then when i go back, whatever i was listening to is WAY better than the SP song.
seriously, i paused drown to listen to this thing

Old 03-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #82
tweedyburd
Ownz

Arrow

Whether or not it's a slight improvement over the first two songs is almost beside the point. The most glaring detail of this track is just how much it solidifies the unfortunate reality that all these songs have no dynamic and go absolutely no where.

Hopefully he'll record Freak soon. That's the only song that had any promise to me.

Last edited by tweedyburd : 03-02-2010 at 07:29 PM.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #83
seign
Apocalyptic Poster

This is actually really good. I can't think of any other Pumpkins song that it reminds me of off hand.

One small comment though: I see that the whole Smashing Pumpkins vs. THE Smashing Pumpkins debate hasn't been settled yet. The first two were labled Smashing Pumpkins, and this one gets the added "The". To be fair though, it's also dated 2001.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #84
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

Are you all fucking kidding me?

Look, the song's not as bad as Widow Wake My Mind, but how is that a compliment?

It's like telling an ugly girl she's not as ugly as a pile of horse shit, and expecting her to take it as a compliment.

Give me a fucking break.

The song is boring. It's not terrible, but it is in fact boring. Like others have said, I totally zone out halfway through due to the repetition. Where are the dynamics that helped shaped the name of the Pumpkins? I really miss those.

The sitar is used so uselessly. If there was more of it, or it was more prominent in the mix, the song would be much more interesting. The way it is, it's just a hard-to-hear novelty.

And whoever it was that said his vocals are closer to Billy 1.0... lol. I congratulate him for officially proving that he's done with the dropping-the-consonants shit, because it was ridiculous. But his contrived vibrato in this song, and in others, really waters down the power of his voice. He just doesn't understand the basic mechanics of voice vibrato, and so it comes off as ugly. If he were to drop that, all of his shit since Machina would sounds unbelievably better.

I give the song a 3/10. Keep in mind, though, that to me, Song for a Son is 4/10, and Widow Wake My Mind is -1/10. This song is a 3/10, simply because there so much he's done in his career that has turned me on more than what I just downloaded.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #85
Enzo Gorlami
Amish Rake Fighter

I wonder if all 44 songs will contain the title within the first line sung. So far we're 3/3.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #86
seign
Apocalyptic Poster

The keyboards kind of remind me of one of those generic songs heard in Science class videotapes.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:18 PM   #87
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

I also want to add that why the FUCK does all of his shit have to be named something straight from the lyrics of the song?

Remember when the majority of his shit had a creative title, or at least something that wasn't word-for-word a piece of the chorus or verse? Geek USA, Thru the Eyes of Ruby, XYU, Crestfallen, Ava Adore, Daphne Descends, Pug, Rocket, Cherub Rock, Soma, Silverfuck, Muzzle, Jellybelly... interesting titles. Even songs like To Sheila and Porcelina of the Vast Oceans are better, simply because they slightly tweak what's already in the lyrics.

You know, if he had written Disarm yesterday and released it today, I bet he'd have named it "Disarm You With a Smile."

Bleah.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #88
deadaswarhol
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: and I just felt something when I saw her that day at Kroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyngel View Post
I also want to add that why the FUCK does all of his shit have to be named something straight from the lyrics of the song?

Remember when the majority of his shit had a creative title, or at least something that wasn't word-for-word a piece of the chorus or verse? Geek USA, Thru the Eyes of Ruby, XYU, Crestfallen, Ava Adore, Daphne Descends, Pug, Rocket, Cherub Rock, Soma, Silverfuck, Muzzle, Jellybelly... interesting titles. Even songs like To Sheila and Porcelina of the Vast Oceans are better, simply because they slightly tweak what's already in the lyrics.

You know, if he had written Disarm yesterday and released it today, I bet he'd have named it "Disarm You With a Smile."

Bleah.
more like "the killer in me(is the killer in you)"

Old 03-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #89
paranoid
Minion of Satan

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but even with this song I can feel the absence of Jimmy C's presence. A nice, simple driving beat to go under this, like the one he played in Owata, would really help push the feel and dynamics a lot of the people here feel are missing.

A hi hat kick and come right in with the beat as billy starts singing, and keep it simple through out.. this song would sound much better.. imo.

This is miles ahead of the other two tunes, though. Doesn't make me want to stab my ears with an ice pick.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #90
EyesOfAJackal
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedyburd View Post
all these songs have no dynamic and go absolutely no where.
What exactly do you mean by this? Does a song like Medellia "go somewhere"? Does Stumbleine? Soothe? I guess I'm not quite sure what you're saying, to me SFAS "goes somewhere" more than any of the aforementioned to (which is not to say it is better at all, but that it is more dynamic, has more sonic changes and variety).

To me a song can be great without dynamism (like the above), just kind of floating in one vibe, emotion, sound, whatever. Obviously if all of your music was that way it would suck, but as part of an album where there are songs that shift and move, I think the quality of a kind of static sound or vibe for a song or two can be fine.

All I'm saying is I don't understand lack of that quality alone as a deficit, I'm not trying to argue the specific merits of the songs.

Aside from that, I do enjoy ASIT, I think it has a kind of a folksy almost medieval movement to it. I completely ignored the lyrics though, maybe I was zoning too...